Marvel's the Defenders-Daredevil-Luke Cage-Jessica Jones-Iron Fist

423 replies to this topic
Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

Just finished it didn't really enjoy it as much as the other shows this was kinda the worst compared to the others Madam Gao kinda got annoying but I liked her at the end. I don't really see how this sets up the Defenders at all.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

I mean... The last episode does set up the villain, hopefully being the new leader of the Hand.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Really enjoyed Iron Fist. Nothing will ever top the first season of Daredevil, but this was easily up there with the second season. 

Throughout the whole thing, I kept thinking "how the f*ck did they manage to f*ck up Luke Cage so much?" It really was an incredibly low low point, luckily Iron Fist picked the ball that Cage dropped up and really ran with it. Definitely hoping for a second season. 

• AlienTwo likes this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Really enjoyed Iron Fist. Nothing will ever top the first season of Daredevil, but this was easily up there with the second season. 

Throughout the whole thing, I kept thinking "how the f*ck did they manage to f*ck up Luke Cage so much?" It really was an incredibly low low point, luckily Iron Fist picked the ball that Cage dropped up and really ran with it. Definitely hoping for a second season.

Hahaha, that's funny

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:28 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 23 March 2017 - 01:30 PM.

Hahaha, that's funny

Why? I get that my opinion is different to yours, but what's funny about it? 

P.S. Maybe you should go back and despoiler what you wrote on the previous page. 

Another non-criticism is that I wish Daredevil showed up.

I actually thought this too - at one point I even said out loud "CLAIRE KNOWS A GUY, HE CAN HELP."
  • darthYENIK and AlienTwo like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Another non-criticism is that I wish Daredevil showed up.

I actually thought this too - at one point I even said out loud "CLAIRE KNOWS A GUY, HE CAN HELP."

"He also knows ninja sh*t!!"

I liked Iron FIst, i gave it 4 stars on my netflix.  

But tell me, am I the only one who was bothered by how Canadian Finn Jones' accent got towards the end?

• darthYENIK and Fuzzknuckles like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

But tell me, am I the only one who was bothered by how Canadian Finn Jones' accent got towards the end?

Didn't even notice. I was more concerned by Bakuto's Littlefinger-inspired accent of many nations. Where the f*ck was he supposed to be from?

• darthYENIK and AlienTwo like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

So, by a count of votes, is Iron First worth me investing my time in watching?!

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Yes. 

• AlienTwo likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

That's a hard one to answer.

I say give it a try, if you get bored, I don't think it's a big deal if you stop watching.

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

Seeing how Iron Fist is the weakest of the Netflix marvel shows, its that good enough for you, in other word, no
  • Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

Seeing how Iron Fist is the weakest of the Netflix marvel shows, its that good enough for you, in other word, no
Thanks for the advice!

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

I was thoroughly entertained. Yes, not the best, but it's still pretty great in my opinion.

Me and Fuzzy are in the minority though. 

• Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

I was thoroughly entertained. Yes, not the best, but it's still pretty great in my opinion.

Me and Fuzzy are in the minority though.

How many episodes does it take to become interested? See, I'm a real bitch for giving shows 1 episode to impress me. If it doesn't tickle my pickle I bin it. I even done it with Game of Thrones. I really should try and give that show another chance in truth.

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

How many episodes does it take to become interested? See, I'm a real bitch for giving shows 1 episode to impress me. If it doesn't tickle my pickle I bin it. I even done it with Game of Thrones. I really should try and give that show another chance in truth.

Yes, you really should. Thrones takes some time to get going, but once the characters are established, there's some great chemistry between them.

Regarding Iron Fist, you're unlikely to get drawn in after the first episode. I suspect episode 4 or 5, maybe 6? I'd probably agree that it is the weakest of the four shows, though it's not as slow as Luke Cage. If you enjoyed Luke Cage, I'd give Iron Fist a go, if you didn't or couldn't get on with Luke Cage, I'd give Iron Fist the finger. ;)

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Regarding Iron Fist, you're unlikely to get drawn in after the first episode. I suspect episode 4 or 5, maybe 6? I'd probably agree that it is the weakest of the four shows, though it's not as slow as Luke Cage. If you enjoyed Luke Cage, I'd give Iron Fist a go, if you didn't or couldn't get on with Luke Cage, I'd give Iron Fist the finger. ;)

I never even gave Cage a chance in fairness! There's just so many damn shows now and not enough time in the day anymore!

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Luke Cage is by far the worst of the Marvel shows IMO. Corndog clearly has no taste.

• AlienTwo and Natasha like this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Luke Cage is by far the worst of the Marvel shows IMO. Corndog clearly has no taste.

I believe its Corndawg

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

I believe its Corndawg

Cumdodge, got it. 

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

I believe its Corndawg

Cumdodge, got it. 
This is going nowhere, lets drop this, why do you think this Luke Cage failed

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

I never even gave Cage a chance in fairness! There's just so many damn shows now and not enough time in the day anymore!

I thought it started pretty well, I was interested from the get-go.  But I loved GoT from the get-go too....

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:21 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 24 March 2017 - 02:26 PM.

why do you think this Luke Cage failed

I thought I'd already explained this, but OK, let's do it again:

Bad writing. Bad dialogue. Weak direction. Terrible acting from at least half of the cast - the worst of all being Diamondback and, for the majority of the show, Cage himself. 

Overuse of incidental stings at the end of each scene which immediately sucked any dramatic impact from the scene - the use of a wah'd guitar at the end of scenes gave it a tone that was almost a parody of blaxploitation movies - something that, considering the nature of the show and the current overwhelming need for better portrayals of black characters, reduced it to an embarrassing, childish tone that even the comics never sunk to. 

And maybe, just maybe, the worst thing about it, was the forced cultural representation through the ham-fisted use of well known black musicians. At first it kind of made sense, in Cottonmouth's club. To see these musicians that may well have played a set there. But I found the appearance by the Delfonics to be a clumsy assertion of the show's indentity - it was, for me, a bit like a black guy standing up in a room and shouting out "I'm black!" for no reason, then sitting back down. 

When Method Man appeared, it felt horrible. Cringeworthy in the highest regard. "Look guys, it's Method Man! He's a famous black guy! You love this guy! TICAL, TICAL, RIGHT BRO?"

He wasn't even playing a character. He was just Method Man. 

Don't get me wrong, the show did plenty of things right. But these things really reduced it for me, diminishing any enjoyment I had. It felt, at times, like it was actually a parody of Luke Cage, rather than a lovingly, carefully handled show. I honestly don't understand why it's so widely loved, and why Iron Fist was so critically panned. I wonder if there's another version of each show that I haven't seen. 

• Natasha likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

It's just about preference at the end of the day, I don't feel the need to compare them personally, or use one show to determine whether I'll watch another. With 4 shows everyone is going to have their order of preference. I'm watching them all because they all connect to the MCU. They each have their own identity because each lead character offers something different to the universe, just like the movies. If you're a fan of everything within the MCU then why not watch each one? It doesn't make sense to skip one based on "critics", especially when they'll soon be a mega cross over with the Defenders.

My personal top spot so far goes to Jessica Jones, because it's nice to have a female "hero" lead that can get sh*t done but still have heart, and David Tennant was brilliant casting.

I personally don't think Luke Cage is a failure at all, even though it might be lower down my list, I enjoyed it. He's a quiet character, and yeah the story was a little slow in places, maybe he won't even get a second season, but I still think it's relevant to the Defenders bunch as a whole because we get his background (I'm not a comic fan so come into these things blind really). A commercial show with a majority black cast is important and a pretty big positive; I read somewhere they wanted to put a lot of elements of Harlem into it hence why we got all the music and the long dialogues about local history and culture, maybe some would feel it's forced, but why shouldn't it be there? I felt they fit it in pretty well.

Admittedly I'm coming into this conversation having not watched Iron Fist yet, but I'm not one bit fussed about the terrible reviews, I'm about to begin a binge of it this weekend so looking forward to that.

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and AlienTwo like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

The terrible reviews are probably an advantage in this case, really lowers the expectations.

Lowered expectations helped me enjoy BvS more, and as a parent now I wish my mom had lowered her expectations of me. 

• Kirsty and That Guy There like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:16 AM

Iron Fist seems okay so far. Started off slow and bland in a way. Between ep 5 and 7, things have definitely picked up well. Next ep for me to watch is 8 btw (so shtap spoilering it god damnit!!! Looking at you Idredman, lol).

Also, the choreography. Eh......ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......I wonder how much time they did for rehearsal training before filming the scenes, because executing long shots are pretty hard to do. I also got some Arrow vibes from some of the fights which I hate with the, "no contact" feel.. DD's hallway scenes (the first one and Biker one) definitely would of took some time to execute such a long shot. That would of taken a lot of rehearsal sh*t and great training from Charlie or his stunt double or whatever.

After Season 1 is done, I hope Finn has at least 6 months of training aiming for a lean look. I want him to look like at least a normal irl average fighter damn it!

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and AlienTwo like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

I want him to look like at least a normal irl average fighter damn it!

I take it you've never seen how Iron Fist looks in the comics, then? He's always, like all Marvel characters, been pretty huge and ripped. 

marvel-iron-fist.jpg

• Natasha likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

I was confused by him saying he wanted Finn to have a "lean look", when he was already pretty much this anyway.

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

Die Hard is a Christmas movie

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:00 AM Edited by iBUCKEYE, 28 March 2017 - 03:07 AM.

Iron Fist was fine. It‘s probably the weakest of the Marvel Netflix shows. Ward‘s acting kinda got on my nerves at times. David Wenham was great though. I think of it the same way I went into X-Men Apocalypse, went in with a "meh" expectation and came out mostly the same. I‘m way more interested in a future Punisher series.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

I was confused by him saying he wanted Finn to have a "lean look", when he was already pretty much this anyway.

He actually took the time out of his day to PM me and tell me he meant he wanted him to look more ripped or something, I don't know, I really wasn't paying much attention. 

Arrow
  • Arrow

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Completed Iron Fist today. It keeps getting better with each episode. The first season serves as more like a prologue to the real Iron Fist comic to come. Iron Fist's worst flaw is that it feels flavorless. A few tweaks here and there, and this could just as easily be a comic about a completely new, down-in-his-luck martial artist hero. Danny Rand can't seem to catch a break lately. The lack of humor and the decision to downplay so many of the traditional trappings of the franchise only serve to dull the appeal of Iron Fist in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users