• Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

Marvel's Daredevil, or simply Daredevil, is an American web television series created for Netflix by Drew Goddard, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), sharing continuity with the films of the franchise, and is the first in a series of shows that will lead up to a Defenders crossover miniseries. The series is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios, DeKnight Prods. and Goddard Textiles, with Steven S. DeKnight serving as showrunner, and Goddard acting as consultant.

Charlie Cox stars as Matt Murdock / Daredevil, a lawyer-by-day who fights crime at night. The series chronicles the character's early days fighting crime, juxtaposed with the rise of crime lord Wilson Fisk, played by Vincent D'Onofrio. Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Toby Leonard Moore, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Bob Gunton, Ayelet Zurer, and Rosario Dawson also star. Daredevil entered development in late 2013, a year after the film rights to the character reverted to Marvel, with Goddard initially hired in December 2013. DeKnight replaced him as showrunner and Cox was hired to star in May 2014. Filming began in New York City that July, with production ending in December.All episodes of the first season premiered on April 10, 2015. The series was released to critical acclaim, with critics praising the action sequences, performances, and the darker tone compared to other properties set in the MCU.

Whelp.... we binge watched all 13 episode of the new Daredevil this weekend.  It wasn't the plan, we were supposed to do stuff but wow... this is a great show and hard to stop on.  Better than Arrow, better than Flash, better than Gotham and WAAAY better than Marvel's Agents of Shield.  Any one else been dragged into this awesome show?

• krashr likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

I'm a fan. That hallway fight was incredible. Not the best fight of the year - that obviously goes to Banshee - but so freaking well done. I love the Jackie Chan-esque staggering, the oldboy inspired cinematography... So good.

But let's talk about Foggy Nelson. The pilot was rough around all the edges, from writing to Matt Murdoch struggling to hide his accent - but holy sh*t Foggy was just bad. Like, if this show were only released one episode at a time.... that's all the reviews would be talking about.

Thankfully, much improved over the first 7 or so episodes I watched. Stick was awesome. So Frank Miller.
  • AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:44 PM

I was a big fan of the cinematography, it really help up well.  But I agree, a lot of this show was obviously put together with the intent of some binging, for instance, i think we would have seen Vincent in episode one if this was on TV but the format lent itself well to the delay of Kingpin and even the delay of showing the suit as late as they did.  I won't mention which episode (but the Netflix splash screen shows it... which I think is a big mistake) but it's no-where as early as I would have expected.  The whole seasons ends with the same feeling so many of the first superhero films did; "There, now you've seen him born.  Lot's of adventures to follow."

• Otter likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

The only reason this thread would be useful is if the title was changed altogether to something like like "MCU - Netflix Sector" or something similar.

Anyway, this show was beautiful.

Sure it wouldn't have worked as well had it not been a Netflix series. But that served it so much. I'm so sure we all know EXACTLY which scene I'm talking about that wouldn't have flown so well on any network other than Netflix.

As I said in the other thread, whoever decided to cast young Wilson Fisk was brilliant. He looks so much like him and I couldn't help seeing the child inside the Kingpin during his scenes and his lines.

But however... This Kingpin was made for us. It was made for the people who already watched and read a lot about the Kingpin. The people who went into the show already seeing him as an intimidating figure... Audiences who don't know him will see him very differently from what we saw. They'll only see the beauty and the beast storyline which was interesting in the comics because he was solely a Beast. An already established one with no hinting of a Beauty. (Talked about 'Love and War' there).

Either way, where you liked the suit or not. Whether you liked the chemistry between Foggy and Karen or not. This is a very good show and it's hard for me to imagine people coming out of it thinking of it as a less than 8/10 show.

It's a 10 for me, but that's probably all the hype from before it came out.

• AlienTwo likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

I don't want too many MCU topics all over, but yeah, I don't think it's working out for posting Daredevil convo in the MCU topic.

I'm sure a few people looked in here searching for Daredevil and didn't see a topic.

But keep in mind, you can still continue to talk about Daredevil and anything MCU in that topic, and I will not be allowing separate movie topics. If you're worried about Age of Ultron spoilers these next couple weeks, I'd suggest not going in there.

As for Daredevil, great show. Probably my favorite MCU anything in terms of quality. The cast, the direction, the cinematography, the overall writing. It's elevated the franchise, and brought redemption to Daredevil. That's saying a lot, because I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier. James Gunn himself was woo'ing over this show. Guardians in my heart is still my favorite, but in terms of quality, Daredevil can't be beat.

@Otter, yeah, those Banshee fights can't be beat. They're just so gritty and since you get to know each fighter, it's much more personal. But that Hall fight was amazing.
  • Moonshield, AlienTwo and krashr like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, I searched first and checked out the MCU topic noticing there wasn't a Daredevil mention in the OP and not much convo in the thread.  If this thread is a bad call, however, I apologize.

I was just really pretty f*cking excited about how awesome the show was.  I was nervous because personally, I didn't like Agents of Shield at all and I was excited that while they still refrenced the rest of the MCU, all nods were pretty subtle.  A newspaper on the wall refrencing "The Battle of New York", vague refrences to "the Incident" and what "Masked heroes" are doing for business and then the "If you had a suit of iron or a magic hammer..."

They didn't try to make it the crux of the show that: "Hey everyone!  Remember those movies you loved?? This show is PART of them!!!!"

It wasn't good on it own, it was GREAT on it's own.

krashr
  • krashr

soul glo

• The Precinct
  • Mars
  • Best Dreads 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Dishonorable Mention 2016

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:07 AM

i like that they made the suit somewhat practical, the black parts for heavier blows and the part on the mask offering some protection for his face too

i am a cock gobbler and i love to gobble cocks

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Can I just say... The opening intro to Daredevil was absolutely beautiful? I loved it every time. It could have been a half-second name like all the other shows. But while this one was longer is was really good. And the music was really fitting.

Also... Apparently there WAS a Stan Lee Cameo.

dzYUgqB.jpg

• Moonshield, wiizardii, AlienTwo and 1 other like this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

Daredevil is only the beginning of something bigger

Also finished Daredevil yesterday and wow, that's a fantastic show
  • AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:28 AM

Watching it for the second time, trying to catch all the little easter eggs I missed.  God there are a lot... the Owl, the Gladiator, the Hand...

What the f*ck is 

Spoiler

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • Indonesia

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Just got into the fifth episode, and i just want to say that this series is one of the best thing i've watched this year.

• AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

I'm re-watching now,

I'm a fan. That hallway fight was incredible. Not the best fight of the year - that obviously goes to Banshee - but so freaking well done. I love the Jackie Chan-esque staggering, the oldboy inspired cinematography... So good.

But let's talk about Foggy Nelson. The pilot was rough around all the edges, from writing to Matt Murdoch struggling to hide his accent - but holy sh*t Foggy was just bad. Like, if this show were only released one episode at a time.... that's all the reviews would be talking about.

Thankfully, much improved over the first 7 or so episodes I watched. Stick was awesome. So Frank Miller.

Otter, I'm curious, did you hate Foggy because of the difference from the source material?  I'm not super familiar with DD in the comics (I read him a bit not so much as spidey and the xmen) but I liked, nar, loved the character in the show.

• Cult Of Personality likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

I loved Foggy. Maybe it's because he's the original Bash Brother, Fulton Reed, but I enjoyed his scenes.
  • Cult Of Personality and AlienTwo like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:21 PM Edited by Alien, 17 April 2015 - 07:21 PM.

I liked his wit, his charm and the general feeling he brought to the show.  Really enjoyed his and Matt's relationship and their banter.  It was rough

Spoiler

With a Netflix show, I don't know when to stop using spoilers...

• Cult Of Personality likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

As someone who doesn't really find Daredevil appealing, I've watched the first four episodes so far and surprisingly enjoyed it.

• AlienTwo and YA BOY DIRT like this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:11 PM Edited by Corndog93, 17 April 2015 - 09:12 PM.

Pardon the pun but I was blind going into this because I thought Daredevil was a superhero who jumps gorges on his stunt cycle
So when he becomes blind at the very beginning it caught me of guard, because I didn't know sh*t about Daredevil

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Nah he's just a horrible actor. He got better as the show went on, but woof.
  • AlienTwo likes this

DMC14
  • DMC14

Tiger Force 1

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:05 AM Edited by DMC14, 18 April 2015 - 08:33 AM.

Never been huge on daredevil (unless he made a guess appearance in a punisher comic or vice versa). i just finished episode 11 and yeah im hooked. put marvel in the title and i'll usually check it out.

The old boy (i havent seen the hollywood version) inspired cinematography was cool but some of the fight scenes didnt sit well with me. i dont want to say fake cause thats too strong a word but there was something lacking in some of them (i am a big fan of hong kong/chinese films so maybe im expecting to much).  i still liked the show it didnt kill it for me and im not refering to all the fights just a few and i couldn't even remember which ones.

I just went and did some internet searching about marvel stuff and there was an article that mentioned marvel trying to introduce punisher into the MCU and that daredevil would be a good spot to do it cause its where the punisher got his big break during frank millers run and wilson fisk was one of his enemies also. that would be awesome.

pretty sure they have allready referenced elektra in one of the college flashbacks. the Greek girl that matt took spanish class for (according to foggy) and matt sez it didnt work out.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

I found the 'Nelson & Murdock at lawschool' episode to be really sweet (I couldn't help but smile at Matt jumping from laughter at Foggy)

But this is all that was going through my head during those bits:

joey-young-friends.jpg

• AlienTwo likes this

YA BOY DIRT
  • YA BOY DIRT

instrumentalepathy

• The Yakuza
  • Armenia
  • Best Timbs 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

Vince D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk is Marvel's most perfectly cast choice for a villain since Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus. And can we talk about how Charlie Cox nailed the role of Matt Murdock? I watched him in Stardust recently and was blown away by how effortlessly he was able to shrug off his fairy-tale hero persona and slide into the character of Daredevil.

One thing that struck me as peculiar though:

Spoiler

• AlienTwo likes this

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • Indonesia

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

Just finished this, and i loved it so very much. 
I won't compare it to other superheroes shows, because its pretty obvious Daredevil beat the sh*t out of all of them.
Loved everything in it, the music, the story, the cast, the choreography, the cinematography, everything.

I was glad that they took a dark gritty theme in the show, because it was perfect.

But i'm a little bit sad too, because

Spoiler

Can't wait to see what season 2 have in store for me !!!!
Now, i gotta get all my friends to watch this show, and if they didn't like it, at least i know who i shouldn't listen to when we were talking about a tv shows.

• AlienTwo likes this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

Daredevil seems good so far, however I wonder and I am thinking pretty badly on the time placement. Does it take place exactly present as the MCU is going, and will take place at the same time of Avengers Age Of Ultron, or does this take place before most of the MCU events such as the incredible Hulk and the first Iron Man movie? 

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

I believe as it stands now. Post Avengers, pre-Age of Ultron.

DMC14
  • DMC14

Tiger Force 1

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

@ dirt - Vanessa at one stage in the comic (recent punisher, i think from memory) sets the kingpin up and and takes over the empire, using elektra as her accomplice. just showing she isnt always this timid woman.

and urich didnt even get a job at the daily bugle (is that because of sony and the spiderman movies?) figured it would come but not in the first season (is that why they made him black?).

when will the punisher make a guest appearance?

J-B
  • J-B

The Benz

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

This show is ridiculously good. Don't take this the wrong way DD fans, but this is everything I imagined a Batman Year One TV adaptation could be.

It captures the trials of a novice costumed vigilante perfectly. Showing that fighting skills aren't enough to be successful at this game.

I will admit, I'm not that well read on DareDevil. I'm mostly a DC guy, but I'm gonna start reading some DD after watching this show.

Are there any collections in print that would be a good starting point for me ?

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

This show is ridiculously good. Don't take this the wrong way DD fans, but this is everything I imagined a Batman Year One TV adaptation could be.

It captures the trials of a novice costumed vigilante perfectly. Showing that fighting skills aren't enough to be successful at this game.

I will admit, I'm not that well read on DareDevil. I'm mostly a DC guy, but I'm gonna start reading some DD after watching this show.

Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear is where this show gets a lot of it's inspiration from, try starting there, J-B.

• J-B and krashr like this

J-B
  • J-B

The Benz

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:45 PM Edited by J-B, 19 April 2015 - 01:48 PM.

Thank's, Alien. Of course it would be by Miller. Just ordered it.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

Miller is a genius.  :alien:

• J-B and IDredMan like this

DMC14
  • DMC14

Tiger Force 1

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:28 AM

Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear is where this show gets a lot of it's inspiration from, try starting there, J-B.

the 79 - 80's run. this is why i hope for a Punisher appearance. i am a marvel guy and i've never been a big daredevil comic fan. but i always enjoyed when him and the punisher squared off.

• AlienTwo likes this

S0lo
  • S0lo

Persona Non Grata

• Members
  • Olympics
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

I'm surprised that no one caught on to how the hallway fight scene is a huge Oldboy reference, with Daredevil struggling to stay on his feet and all.

Anyway, what i found particularly memorable was the first dinner of Vanessa and Fisk. The dialogue is some of the best i've seen in years, and D'Onofrio is at the top of his game.

Best MCU installment by a long distance. If only they went that gritty route with the Avengers... 

• AlienTwo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users