Quantcast

» «
Photo
- - - - -

[REL] Driver 2 Maps for 3DS Max (Open Driver 2)

98 replies to this topic
_UrethraXtreme
  • _UrethraXtreme

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

Just an FYI, stunters would LOVE these in VC, I'm sure there's someone on a stunting forum willing to help!

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Spilled coffee on Laptop. no more mods

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

Just an FYI, stunters would LOVE these in VC, I'm sure there's someone on a stunting forum willing to help!

i dont trust stunt mappers cus they tend to mess up certain area cols so that they can have easier stunts... and they add ramps everywhere

• R4gN0r0K and Jinx. like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

I think a few months ago I saw a modder who ports some Driv3r maps (not all, just some parts of a map) into IV and posted it into YT, but I think his videos got removed.

Niko Montana
  • Niko Montana

Gangsta

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

This looks really good man! 

buzzbass
  • buzzbass

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

I love it.... lots of childhood memories with this game, would be nice to have "gimsV" already to reborn some experiences  :)

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

I think a few months ago I saw a modder who ports some Driv3r maps (not all, just some parts of a map) into IV and posted it into YT, but I think his videos got removed.

no, they havnt gotten removed... hes the guy who helped me out with this. skylabh

DOGAN3D
  • DOGAN3D

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Driver 3 Can you convert a map of Istanbul?

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

Driver 3 Can you convert a map of Istanbul?

nope

EvilRaptor
  • EvilRaptor

The Driver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Why does no one consider modelling the cities from scratch?
I already started on Chicago quite a while ago but I've since semi abandoned it due to university coursework. Bear in mind that I've not touched this since early 2014, so my modelling has got better through tuition and coursework, so I'd be tempted to forget this and start again from scratch.
Point is, it's feasible.

Spoiler

• universetwisters, Ss4gogeta0 and buzzbass like this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

Why does no one consider modelling the cities from scratch?
I already started on Chicago quite a while ago but I've since semi abandoned it due to university coursework. Bear in mind that I've not touched this since early 2014, so my modelling has got better through tuition and coursework, so I'd be tempted to forget this and start again from scratch.
Point is, it's feasible.

Spoiler

true, actually X-seti did start on remodelling it aswell but he has since dropped off the face of the earth sadly...

I support your work and hope you ccontinue it :)
  • buzzbass likes this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

I would love to see Driver 2's maps remodeled. Besides higher quality textures, higher quality models, and other things to make them look good on newer engines, they would need some alterations.

Chicago would be the easiest one as it is not spread out as much. It would need:

-Skyscrapers modeled in. We only have the bottom parts of them on Driver 2.

-Shorelines added.

Havana and Rio would be hard as f*ck. Those have a lot of empty space where there are no models.

Las Vegas would be even harder as it doesn't show textures correctly.

As for altering the maps, I think all of them would need streets added in.

Chicago doesn't have as many voids where there is absolutely nothing modeled in. (I'm not sure if Vegas does.) So with Chicago, there are many spots which had buildings modeled in but we couldn't access them as there were no streets to get over there. For example, by the John Hancock Center. I know that there is ground over there as I once glitched over there back in the day. The bridges could be remodeled too so they are more like the real life bridges. For Chicago, we could use models from NFS The Run, Watch Dogs, Midtown Madness, Grid

Havana has a lot of voids where there is no map. Not sure what could be done with them. I'm unaware of any other games that are set in Havana.

For Las Vegas, we could use models from GTA SA's Las Venturas, The Crew's Las Vegas, or NFS Undercover

Rio also has a lot of voids. Models could be used from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

The issue that all the cities have are:
Chicago: Many skyscrapers which don't have the upper 3/4ths of them modeled.

Havana: Many voids

Las Vegas: Textures won't export properly

Rio: Also has many voids.

The deal is, if we were to put the maps into GTA, we would want them to be aircraft and boat friendly. However, having the full buildings modeled would also make it shadow friendly as shadows would look messed up.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

EvilRaptor
  • EvilRaptor

The Driver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

You'd be better off looking at real life and similar cities, and modelling the lot from scratch than trying to figure out how to rip stuff from other games, it also alleviates some of the pressure of having copyright issues.
That way you can also relatively easily put in new streets and features to fill the void areas.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Nihilist.
  • Nihilist.

Highway Star

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

I've checked Chicago and Havana a second ago. They're a complete mess... Someone would have to remodel everything in order to make it usable, probably.

Besides, there's so many empty spaces and holes, not mentioning buildings that were multiplied dozens of times. On the other hand, green areas are a big part of Havana map - those would be pretty easy to model (create the ground, preferably with some dirt roads, etc., place vegetation objects from the original GTA and voila, job done). It'd be way easier than working on regular buildings, since those are multiplied dozens of times all over the maps. Oh, and each city is pretty big itself, so remodelling it from the scratch would take years.

It'd be great to see a solid project with a good plan and team of experienced people. All the maps have serious potential, but at the same time, they require a lot of TLC.

But hey, there's also a good news - since every single city would need to be remodelled from the scratch, Vegas is not a big problem anymore. Either way, it doesn't work and the only useful thing about is its the road system.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

EvilRaptor
  • EvilRaptor

The Driver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

Chicago and Havana especially can allow for shortcuts, reusable buildings and stuff, and Chicago's grid road layout will help loads, lots of the work is down to filling up space, which can always be done with placeholders if they eventually will be replaced.
Like you say though, it is the sort of long term project that needs planning.
It depends on the level of detail you need as well, an experienced modeller could probably pump out the entirety of Chicago in a couple of weeks (I'm talking professional level here, think lead level designer for a ten year old firm style experienced),  as long as they were doing it as it was in the original game. Something as simple as adding windows to the buildings would take significantly more time.
If I had more time I'd dedicate myself to assembling some sort of team to work on this, at least after making a plan, I miss careening down those alleyways and jumping those bridges.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

Chicago and Havana especially can allow for shortcuts, reusable buildings and stuff, and Chicago's grid road layout will help loads, lots of the work is down to filling up space, which can always be done with placeholders if they eventually will be replaced.
It depends on the level of detail you need as well, an experienced modeller could probably pump out the entirety of Chicago in a couple of weeks (I'm talking professional level here, think lead level designer for a ten year old firm style experienced),  as long as they were doing it as it was in the original game. Something as simple as adding windows to the buildings would take significantly more time.
If I had more time I'd dedicate myself to assembling some sort of team to work on this, at least after making a plan, I miss careening down those alleyways and jumping those bridges.

not gonna lie, there is also a rather down and dirty method of using buildings from sketchup as placeholders until someone models out the buildings themselves... Alot of the buildings are modeled in 3D warehouse along with the bridges aswell, and there are tutorials for converting from sketchup to GTA/3D Modeling software...

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:57 PM Edited by nkjellman, 05 May 2015 - 11:59 PM.

not gonna lie, there is also a rather down and dirty method of using buildings from sketchup as placeholders until someone models out the buildings themselves... Alot of the buildings are modeled in 3D warehouse along with the bridges aswell, and there are tutorials for converting from sketchup to GTA/3D Modeling software...

That could be done. But for that, it wouldn't be an HD map for sure. It would be more like something that would be done for one of the Renderware GTA's, rather than the RAGE ones. (I feel like stuff from older games looks out of place on the newer engine).

Chicago is a big city. The downtown area would require some uniqueness to it in order to look good. Lots of sky scrapers. The downtown area wouldn't look right if it had several average buildings. I've seen generic buildings done in the downtown areas of recreations of cities in other games and it didn't look right. For example, in The Crew's version of Chicago, there are areas in the downtown area where they don't have sky scrapers, but average buildings. This does not look right.

As far as the outer areas of the city, it can be more generic. If you are doing a neighborhood, you could practically reuse the same house model several times, but change the textures on them. The houses in Chicago look practically the same.

As for using models from other games, I don't think there is much of an issue. There are tons of mods for GTA which use models from other games and they don't have an issue. Plenty of race tracks and cars. Chicago is a big city, and it would take ages for someone to model a recreation of it by scratch, or even use Driver 2's map as a base. If someone were to use other games for models for the city, it could go something like this if you wanted to make a Chicago that is remotely as close to the real thing as Los Santos is to Los Angeles, or Liberty City is to New York.

List of what can be used from other games to make a good chunk of the map:

Spoiler

If we were to use all of these things from these other games, we would practically have the city almost finished. We wouldn't be converting the map from the game as it was, so I don't think the game developers would give a sh*t as it is not for profit. If you converted the Watch Dogs map to GTA V, then there might be a problem, or if you charged for the mod. Everything would be in a completely different map from the games you're ripping from. But if you were to try and accurately model the Sears Tower for example, it would practically be the same thing as the model that is in The Crew. So instead of spending time on that, time could be spent on something else.

Anyways, there would be a few parts of the city which would be modeled by hand. A much more manageable amount, which could be done in a much more reasonable amount of time. It would include:

-Daily Plaza

-Post Office

-Trump Tower

-Wrigley Field

-The added streets

-The shorelines where the map ends

-One of the Airports which would be a new part of the map.

-McCormick Place

-Planetarium

-Shed Aquarium

-US Cellular Field (This could probably be ripped from an MLB game)

-Wrigley Field. (This could probably be ripped from an MLB game)

This will help in making an improved version of the Driver 2 Chicago, which would have better graphics, voids filled in, and would ultimately look as close to the real Chicago as LC does to NY or LS does to LA. I sure hope that someone does decide to do this. I will certainly help out that project. I've always wanted to see a team of modders try and recreate a real city in GTA, in the same matter that Rockstar does (because obviously it isn't a street by street city, just a modified Driver 2 map enhanced to look good on a modern engine, and resemble the city as accurately as a new game would). There is absolutely no way that this would be done by scratch, so doing it this way would give you a vast variety of stuff to use, and it would allow you to make a good map. I guess if this were to be done, it could be started on GTA IV, then later brought to GTA V once tools are made.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:32 AM

That could be done. But for that, it wouldn't be an HD map for sure. It would be more like something that would be done for one of the Renderware GTA's, rather than the RAGE ones. (I feel like stuff from older games looks out of place on the newer engine).

Chicago is a big city. The downtown area would require some uniqueness to it in order to look good. Lots of sky scrapers. The downtown area wouldn't look right if it had several average buildings. I've seen generic buildings done in the downtown areas of recreations of cities in other games and it didn't look right. For example, in The Crew's version of Chicago, there are areas in the downtown area where they don't have sky scrapers, but average buildings. This does not look right.

As far as the outer areas of the city, it can be more generic. If you are doing a neighborhood, you could practically reuse the same house model several times, but change the textures on them. The houses in Chicago look practically the same.

As for using models from other games, I don't think there is much of an issue. There are tons of mods for GTA which use models from other games and they don't have an issue. Plenty of race tracks and cars. Chicago is a big city, and it would take ages for someone to model a recreation of it by scratch, or even use Driver 2's map as a base. If someone were to use other games for models for the city, it could go something like this if you wanted to make a Chicago that is remotely as close to the real thing as Los Santos is to Los Angeles, or Liberty City is to New York.
List of what can be used from other games to make a good chunk of the map:
Spoiler

If we were to use all of these things from these other games, we would practically have the city almost finished. We wouldn't be converting the map from the game as it was, so I don't think the game developers would give a sh*t as it is not for profit. If you converted the Watch Dogs map to GTA V, then there might be a problem, or if you charged for the mod. Everything would be in a completely different map from the games you're ripping from. But if you were to try and accurately model the Sears Tower for example, it would practically be the same thing as the model that is in The Crew. So instead of spending time on that, time could be spent on something else.

Anyways, there would be a few parts of the city which would be modeled by hand. A much more manageable amount, which could be done in a much more reasonable amount of time. It would include:
-Daily Plaza
-Post Office
-Trump Tower
-Wrigley Field
-The added streets
-The shorelines where the map ends
-One of the Airports which would be a new part of the map.
-McCormick Place
-Planetarium
-Shed Aquarium
-US Cellular Field (This could probably be ripped from an MLB game)
-Wrigley Field. (This could probably be ripped from an MLB game)

This will help in making an improved version of the Driver 2 Chicago, which would have better graphics, voids filled in, and would ultimately look as close to the real Chicago as LC does to NY or LS does to LA. I sure hope that someone does decide to do this. I will certainly help out that project. I've always wanted to see a team of modders try and recreate a real city in GTA, in the same matter that Rockstar does (because obviously it isn't a street by street city, just a modified Driver 2 map enhanced to look good on a modern engine, and resemble the city as accurately as a new game would). There is absolutely no way that this would be done by scratch, so doing it this way would give you a vast variety of stuff to use, and it would allow you to make a good map. I guess if this were to be done, it could be started on GTA IV, then later brought to GTA V once tools are made.

well I was hoping on having this ported to GTA SA so the Renderware era style would work by importing the Sketchup models...

but as for a IV style, yea it would be more work to do...

now the big question is someone actually doing it.. I have very limited 3D modeling experience (a sketchup model made in 2007ish and a few peds/guns).. so I doubt I would be any good at it...

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:42 AM Edited by nkjellman, 07 May 2015 - 10:45 AM.

I have converted Chicago to GTA IV. I will upload it tomorrow with a comedic review and some screenshots.

Lets just say that the Driver 2 maps are not GTA IV material, or GTA V material. They might work in the SA engine, if we can replace the buildings with sketch up buildings. (They would probably be better quality than the Driver 2 ones anyway.)

• Ss4gogeta0 and Neddo like this

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

nkjellman - I just asking about what you said - have you uploaded it somewhere?

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

nkjellman - I just asking about what you said - have you uploaded it somewhere?

Not yet. I will upload it when I get to my PC.

It is an add on map. It is placed high above LC so you will have to air brake up there. It is scaled a little too small but it was the only way to get it to fit in GTA IV's map boundaries.

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:01 PM

So its like Driver map is bigger than GTAIV? much bigger?  

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:09 PM Edited by nkjellman, 09 May 2015 - 11:30 PM.

Driver 2's Chicago about the same size. It is just tall.

Edit: Here is the link if you want to try it out. https://www.mediafir...1b66g989fb1wxdp

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

_UrethraXtreme
  • _UrethraXtreme

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:49 AM

i dont trust stunt mappers cus they tend to mess up certain area cols so that they can have easier stunts... and they add ramps everywhere

You're making things up lol, I've never heard of anyone doin that before and I've been doing it since 06

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:14 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 10 May 2015 - 09:18 AM.

You're making things up lol, I've never heard of anyone doin that before and I've been doing it since 06

you sure about that?

QiO940m.png

and thats only GTA IV, dont let me get started about what they did to VC and SA....

Driver 2's Chicago about the same size. It is just tall.

Edit: Here is the link if you want to try it out. https://www.mediafir...1b66g989fb1wxdp

Good job, too bad my PC hates IV
  • Jinx. likes this

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thanks nkjellman! I Will try it out only if my computer let me play GTA IV :/ 
Can someone post a pictures of Chicago in GTAIV? 

• ZANTHERA likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thanks nkjellman! I Will try it out only if my computer let me play GTA IV :/ 
Can someone post a pictures of Chicago in GTAIV?

heres a video from a few months ago when I asked GTARandom to port chicago to IV

• Timske and Masny like this

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thanks! Doesn't even look THAT BAD. I was expecting worse! 

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:29 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 11 May 2015 - 02:32 AM.

Thanks! Doesn't even look THAT BAD. I was expecting worse! 

yea thats what I said, it can use some work though but it would still be perfect for a III era game

I have converted Chicago to GTA IV. I will upload it tomorrow with a comedic review and some screenshots.

Lets just say that the Driver 2 maps are not GTA IV material, or GTA V material. They might work in the SA engine, if we can replace the buildings with sketch up buildings. (They would probably be better quality than the Driver 2 ones anyway.)

Tell me when you make a topic for it mate :)

Nihilist.
  • Nihilist.

Highway Star

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

Great work! Didn't expect to see working, stable map in any GTA that soon.

Indeed, it'd look better in III era game, because all the models and textures are simple, but on the other hand, either way most/all of the buildings, all props and vegetation should be replaced in order to match GTA style, etc.

Still, III era has some adventages over IV - it's simplier, so work would be relatively faster and easier. Also, all these SketchUp buildings wouldn't stand out of "crowd", since they're all simple. RAGE models should be more detailed and complex - otherwise dynamic lights, shadows and everything else wouldn't be used "properly".

And don 't get me wrong - doesn't matter if it's III or IV, both projects would be BIG and very ambitious.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Inked_666
  • Inked_666

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

Crazy to think this was cutting edge graphics not so long ago too!  I do agree, it needs to be III Era for sure.  Else it would need to be remodelled and UV mapped with HD textures to bring it upto IV Era.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users