Quantcast

» «
Photo
- - - - -

[REL] Driver 2 Maps for 3DS Max (Open Driver 2)

98 replies to this topic
Wakka387
  • Wakka387

Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:42 AM Edited by Wakka387, 08 September 2017 - 04:42 AM.

Figured I might aswell release these aswell since they are just sitting around and the people I sent them to are too busy to work on em... Plus the rules were changed so that conversions of game assets from games before 2005 are allowed so might as well post em here...

these are the default maps from D2 ripped from the PSX version of the game. each map has bugs (don't blame me) which can be fixed somewhat easily... They are in FBX format (Supported by 3DS Max and so forth)

The maps are in piss poor quality due to being on PSX... the textures I think are 16x16, maybe 32x32 if im wrong... there were a few missing textures that I tried to get but failed (asking around on the D2 forums) but for the most part, here they are... Also, these maps have ALOT of vertices & Faces... I have no clue what was going on in Refractions head when they made them but holy hell... I had to combine the objects of each map into one single mesh just to even load them into 3DS Max... 

Eventually I also plan on getting the Driver 1 maps aswell.. but for now you gotta settle with these...
Note that Vegas is missing from the files, because it is all glitched to hell and I can't seem to find a way to fix it...

Screenshots

Spoiler

*these take forever to load due to poor optimization by refractions*

*Link updated 9/7/17

Chicago

Rio De Janeiro

Las Vegas

Havana, Cuba

• Gforce, Blackbird88, Tomasak and 20 others like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:51 AM Edited by ssbawesome, 13 April 2015 - 12:52 AM.

These are nice. It'd be great to see the textures brought up to PS2 standards. What glitches are in the Vegas map? I'd really like to see that.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Spilled coffee on Laptop. no more mods

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:10 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 13 April 2015 - 01:53 AM.

These are nice. It'd be great to see the textures brought up to PS2 standards. What glitches are in the Vegas map? I'd really like to see that.

alright, your funeral... 

give me a min, these take forever to load....

Ok here is vegas... Texture Corruption at its finest

MVYZLSP.jpg

• undertaker fan, ClaudX, henriquedematos and 2 others like this

wahgah
  • wahgah

Lost In Postion

• Members

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:04 AM

sweet, is there any possibility of driv3r?

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:06 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 13 April 2015 - 02:07 AM.

sweet, is there any possibility of driv3r?

no idea, still talking to a Driver 3 modder about that... 

the models for the map in Driv3r are split up and stuff and its a complete mess...

if you were to port them, you would have to pretty much put the whole maps together like puzzles

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:10 AM

alright, your funeral... 

-snip-

My_eyes.png

Damn. That's sad. Vegas would've been great to see.

• henriquedematos and TheMostKnowledgable like this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:16 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 13 April 2015 - 02:28 AM.

alright, your funeral... 

-snip-

-dem burnz-

Damn. That's sad. Vegas would've been great to see.

yea I know, but theres always next time... asked a couple of Driver modders about it and am waiting for them to get back to me

btw, what ever happened to those GTA Brazil modders? Im sure they would be happy to see Rio de Janeiro as a map

wahgah
  • wahgah

Lost In Postion

• Members

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:47 AM

too bad to hear about driv3r, but awesome to see the possibility of these guys getting fixed up and GTA-ified.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:39 AM

Yea it would, since these are released now, there should be alot of modding pertaining these thats going to happen this summer ;)

Skylabh
  • Skylabh

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

Hi,
I'm one of the modders from Drivermadness. As you already noticed, the maps from the game can't be extracted properly (both single and multiplayer).
I also encountered these issues when i tried to import a map in 3ds Max.
A map can be imported piece by piece, but only with a certain amount of elements, each time, otherwise there is a memory issue.
About the textures and the missing meshes, it seems that the tool can't read properly the data from the level (example from the log : "quad 9 (type=181 ofs=324) has invalid indices (or format is unknown) triangle 10 (type=172 ofs=344) has invalid indices (or format is unknown)).
So for me the tool is not involved, but i think the models are not optimized like Ss4gogeta0 said earlier.
The decoding of the files was quite difficult (they were several members to do that).
So apart manually fix the levels in 3ds Max, there is not much to do.
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:58 AM

Hi,
I'm one of the modders from Drivermadness. As you already noticed, the maps from the game can't be extracted properly (both single and multiplayer).
I also encountered these issues when i tried to import a map in 3ds Max.
A map can be imported piece by piece, but only with a certain amount of elements, each time, otherwise there is a memory issue.
About the textures and the missing meshes, it seems that the tool can't read properly the data from the level (example from the log : "quad 9 (type=181 ofs=324) has invalid indices (or format is unknown) triangle 10 (type=172 ofs=344) has invalid indices (or format is unknown)).
So for me the tool is not involved, but i think the models are not optimized like Ss4gogeta0 said earlier.
The decoding of the files was quite difficult (they were several members to do that).
So apart manually fix the levels in 3ds Max, there is not much to do.

pretty much as he said, so this is the best we can do for the cities...

also skylabh is the one whose been helping me with all the driver related stuff.. so if any of you have any questions pertaining to Driver, its best to ask him as he is more experienced than me lol

TheVladonPro
  • TheVladonPro

GTA ViSA Developer

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

:O :O :O It very much cool !!! Here from the first part...

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

waiting to see what people do with these maps :)

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Amazing, childhood memories haha.

Finally someone can port the GTA III mission Double faced Tanner to the original Driver 2 map. :p

TheVladonPro
  • TheVladonPro

GTA ViSA Developer

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

And how to pull out textures from model ?

DJCraig34
  • DJCraig34

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:02 AM

Man I hope someone will be willing to make Chicago into San Andreas engine , it really has potential to be a decent map considering the size and the content that can be added to it

Shame about Las Vegas though , that map would been perfect
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:51 AM

And how to pull out textures from model ?

well, for that you would need the actual obj... I can make one but the maps are very stubborn about the folder the textures have to be in...

Bumper3D
  • Bumper3D

Still in the 80's

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

Just wondering why you're converting these Driver 2 maps? They seem a little too low-quality for GTA3 and obviously won't work on the top-down GTA's since there are no roofs. Even with the textures reworked I find the models a bit too lacking in details. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see any progress so keep up!

I wish you have better luck converting Driv3r stuff. I really like all the cities (especially Nice) from that game, and with a bit (lot) of retexturing they could look excellent on 3d-era games. I take it you can already export Driv3r model and texture files, so I guess finding the correct coordinates for each map model should do the job? Or not, haven't really dug too deep into the subject. And even if it did, it'd still be a sh*tload of work unless you can come up with a script to do the job. I'll have to give it a look, since I still have my Driv3r disc on the shelf. :)

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

Just wondering why you're converting these Driver 2 maps? They seem a little too low-quality for GTA3 and obviously won't work on the top-down GTA's since there are no roofs. Even with the textures reworked I find the models a bit too lacking in details. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see any progress so keep up!

I wish you have better luck converting Driv3r stuff. I really like all the cities (especially Nice) from that game, and with a bit (lot) of retexturing they could look excellent on 3d-era games. I take it you can already export Driv3r model and texture files, so I guess finding the correct coordinates for each map model should do the job? Or not, haven't really dug too deep into the subject. And even if it did, it'd still be a sh*tload of work unless you can come up with a script to do the job. I'll have to give it a look, since I still have my Driv3r disc on the shelf. :)

well, the way the maps are stored on Driver 3 are pretty bizarre to say the least... The resident Driver Modder Skylabh noted that the maps were seperated into pieces and would take ages to actually put back together as an actual usable map... its a huge mess...

and the reason for the Driver 2 city conversions is because with a little love and care they can actually be usable and fixed up nicely... alot of people wanted a chicago map. now they got it... same with Rio de Janeiro...

Havana was just an added bonus :)

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

About the screens you posted, nice work by Reflections, the cities is bigger as f*ck. Amazing for a PS1 game.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:04 PM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 14 April 2015 - 10:04 PM.

About the screens you posted, nice work by Reflections, the cities is bigger as f*ck. Amazing for a PS1 game.

lol yep, big as f*ck and unoptimized to hell... as VAIMAHDO says

I've ripped the very first mission where you spawn in the alley, in this part is the only place you will ever fell a smooth framerate in the game.
The amount of polygons in that area at that time is 1770.
The average amount of polygons being rendered while running around Chicago is 2700-3944. This is definitely poor code optimization or too much code or a memory leak.
But in Rio's canyon, far more polygons are being drawn. (Unless I cut the draw distance too far)
Here's proof:
cyvj465f72jrnv5fg.jpg

But here's the trick question.

How is it that after importing it into a 3D viewing program...

I have performance issues with the tiny 3949 polygons?
When my laptop can run 35000 just fine?
Something is wrong here.

Every face is split and counted as it's own mesh....

nine30
  • nine30

Trick

• Members
  • None
  • Best Map Made From Scratch 2014 [French Rivieria]
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:34 AM Edited by nine30, 15 April 2015 - 06:15 PM.

nine30
  • nine30

Trick

• Members
  • None
  • Best Map Made From Scratch 2014 [French Rivieria]

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hi,

Nice try,

I already ripped parts of driv3r, especially "Nice" City in order to put it in my french riviera map mod. Textures are low but models cool, with 3d ripper you cant have all the map, thats not cool but you need time to past all parts btw them
We never seen chicago in gta series, so try to keep this project, just add lot of details, make it Gta

Good luck

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

Nice try,

I already ripped parts of driv3r, especially "Nice" City in order to put it in my french riviera map mod. Textures are low but models cool, with 3d ripper you can have all the map, thats not cool but you need time to past all parts btw them
We never seen chicago in gta series, so try to keep this project, just add lot of details, make it Gta

Good lucl

I was thinking about 3DXRipper... was going to use that on the scarface map once I got my crappy desktop to boot...

but for Driver 3, I wanted to work with the Driver mod community on it. so that way it benefits both of the communities (we get a map, they get valuable file research aswell as support from the GTA Community) so I am saving 3D Ripper as a backup plan.

but thank you for the support and dont worry, this project will not die ;)

DidSomebodySayYouga
  • DidSomebodySayYouga

Bravado: Thanks for the bailout America

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Well done!

Will there be a map from Driver: San Franciscо ??

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:57 AM

Well done!

Will there be a map from Driver: San Franciscо ??

nope, not for a while... it seems like it uses a similar file structure to Driver 3/PL but its much more complex

Masny
  • Masny

Member Since 16 Feb 2007

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

Cool! I always wondered how big are Driver's maps compare to GTA SA map. Maybe some day someone will convert it to SA and then everythings gonna be clear.. .

DK22Pac
  • DK22Pac

• Feroci
  • Ukraine
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D Contribution]
    Helpfulness Award [Mods]

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:57 AM Edited by DK22Pac, 16 April 2015 - 09:57 AM.

But it's not even a conversion.

Even if a conversion from such old game is allowed, it must be a conversion to put it into a Mod Showroom.

It will be better if you first find guys who will convert this to GTA, and only after that - create a thread here. At this time I don't see how is this related to GTA modding.

• Mega likes this

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Military geek

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:51 PM Edited by SkylineGTRFreak, 20 April 2015 - 04:51 PM.

I would love to see the older New York from "Parallel Lines" being ported. I really like that map^^ But thanks for sharing these assets

• Ss4gogeta0 and memoss like this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:15 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 21 April 2015 - 12:17 AM.

But it's not even a conversion.

Even if a conversion from such old game is allowed, it must be a conversion to put it into a Mod Showroom.

It will be better if you first find guys who will convert this to GTA, and only after that - create a thread here. At this time I don't see how is this related to GTA modding.

extracted these in January... Been asking around since then but everyone was busy with their own projects or just werent interested, so I figured instead of letting these files rot on my hard drive, I could just post them so someone who is interested could use them

IyVxoQM.png

So yea, better for me to make a topic for them and release instead of letting them get lost as time moves on... especially since I waited a number of months before I did so...

• The_GTA and Inked_666 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users