Photo

Worst accident you survived?

36 replies to this topic
Irish45455
  • Irish45455

Irish45455

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:31 AM Edited by Irish45455, 11 July 2017 - 06:42 AM.

So, I know I already posted but last month's accident beats the one I previously posted. So, away we go...

I was bringing a friend to work about a month ago and there's a four way stop that we take a right onto that leads to her work. I make the right, and we head down this road. The whole time I have a black Acura MDX riding my ass. The road is a forty mile per hour zone with a fifty mile per hour zone in the middle. I stick to the speed limit because I'm just a cautious driver. The lady driving the Acura is on my ass the whole time. Everytime I look in my rearview mirror, all I see is the grille of her SUV. I brake a bit, just to let her know she needs to back off. The road curves a bit before the left hand turn that my friend's client's house is on. I'm going forty miles per hour and have to slow down, so I put on my turn signal five hundred or so feet before I have to turn and begin to slow down. Traffic is coming the other way so I stop nice and easy, like I always have countless times before, waiting for traffic to pass. First car passes, and then all hell breaks loose.

I hear a crash, and the first thing I think is, "Demolition derby?" If you've ever been to one, it's the same sound two cars make when they hit hard. I feel this sensation of being pushed hard and black out for a few seconds. All I can think is, this is it. I'm finally dead. It's finally my time. But I come to, and my friend and I are lying back because the seats collapsed. I look around and the dashboard is trashed, the car is off and we're on the side of the road, almost on someone's lawn. I make sure we're okay, hop out of the car and see the Acura and it looks like it hit a f*cking tree. I see the rear window and it's shattered. The whole rear end of our car is just totaled. I make sure the lady in the Acura and the kid she had in the car are okay and try to call 911 but I'm in shock and can't figure out how to work my phone because I just can't fathom what just happened.

A guy comes walking over and says he called 911 already because he heard the Acura hit us. He lived up the hill and was mowing his lawn and could hear the accident over his lawn mower. I take pictures of our car and a zoomed in picture of the Acura just in case. My friend's mom comes (it was her car I was driving) and makes sure we're okay. I can't even stand up because I'm shaking and I can't stop apologizing because the car I had been driving for almost year is totalled and I couldn't even keep us safe. Ambulance comes, and we go to the hospital because my friend's leg hurts (was a muscle spasm and her muscle tore).

Monday rolls around (accident was on a Friday) and we get a copy of the police report. Acura Lady hit us going ten over the speed limit (50 mph) and pushed our car 210 feet and hers rolled another 70 feet. In the police report she said that her nephew had distracted her (which I know is bullsh*t because the whole time she was tailgating me I saw a cellphone in her hand and I'm pretty sure she was covering for it).

Insurance bullsh*t ensues, legally she is in the wrong, talks of getting a lawyer and suing her ass into oblivion are had but her insurance covers things. They buy the wrecked car for $2,200 and pay lost wages and my friend's hospital bill. Almost a month later and it's like it never even happened. Didn't have any nightmares, and aside from some soreness from the seatbelt and my leg from getting slammed into while my foot was on the brake I didn't have any broken bones or anything. If it weren't for the missing car in the driveway it would be like it never happened.

Here's our car if anyone is interested:

https://scontent-lga...376&oe=59D00106

Always pay attention to the road, kids. Please.
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud, marco6158 and DOUGL4S1 like this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

glad no serious injuries :^:

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

Bad Mommy

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:59 AM Edited by Milfrah, 16 July 2017 - 04:20 AM.

I was in a terrible car accident over 20 years ago. I had just turned 17 and was driving my mom's '92 Chevy Blazer. It was dark and I was on a street that runs parallel to an expressway a few miles from my house. I was preparing to turn left onto another street and head home. I was keeping my eye on another car that was on the street I was getting ready to turn on to because the car kept inching forward like they were going to turn in front of me. I was so worried whether they were paying attention that I failed to pay much attention to how close on-coming traffic was before I started my turn. I was an inexperienced, nervous driver and looking back, I really shouldn't have been out on the road to be honest. 

Ended up having a near head-on collision with an on-coming car. Spun the Blazer around probably about three times, totaling it. To make matters worse, my best friend since 5th grade was with me and wasn't wearing her seat belt even though I'd reminded her several times to put it on as we were leaving the store we were at. She ended up being ejected through the passenger window. I still remember hearing the glass shatter in my ear as we were spinning, then just peering over at her empty seat as I tried to catch my breath. I was wearing my seat belt but I'd hit my head pretty hard on the steering wheel, plus had the wind basically squeezed out of me.

I kicked open my door, jumped out, and started running around, screaming for my friend. I was sure she was going to be dead but by some miracle, she wasn't. She was sitting in the middle of the road, her knees all gashed up and bloody. People from nearby houses were already running up to help. Some woman called my mom for me. I started to go toward the car that had hit me, which was sitting in the ditch about 15 or 20 yards away but the woman stopped me. She said, "No, that guy is okay, don't worry about him," but then a man walked by and said, "That guy up there doesn't look so good." I started hyperventilating and freaking out. Things became a blur. My mom and grandparents got to the scene just as the paramedics were getting ready to load us into the ambulance. I looked over and noticed they were still trying to get the other guy out of his car. They were using the jaws of life.

My friend and I ended up being okay, just banged up and in her case, cut up. She had to get sutures in her knees and upper thigh. I had burns from the seat belt and bruising to my head and one of my knees from where it slammed into the underside of the dash.

The worst part was when I got home, though, later that night. My mom helped me to bed, then sat down next to me and told me that the guy I'd turned in front of died. Based on things the police had said to her and my dad, I was going to face charges. And I did. It was horrible and I'm scarred for life--both from the fact that someone died due to my lack of driving experience and due to everything else that followed. My life will never be the same.

The judge wanted to make an example of me being a distracted driver, I guess. I came pretty close to doing 90 days in jail but because I had never been in trouble before, didn't do drugs or alcohol, and was an honor roll student, they went a little easier. I was charged with a misdemeanor form of negligent homicide. I had to pay about $2000 in fines (my graduation $ plus some), two years of probation, 1 year suspended driver's license, go to a MADD meeting and watch the horrific videos of drunk driving accidents (even though I had not been drinking), take a defensive driving class, 200-something hours of community service and also take a "jail tour". The jail tour was the worst part of it. It was kind of like a "scared straight" tactic I guess because from the moment I called the jail to arrange my tour, I was screamed at. During the actual tour, I was lead around by a cocky officer who spent the entire time telling me how I'd better not f*ck up again because "this is where you'll end up, and a small girl like you will be eaten alive by these huge women in here!" and other such things to terrify an ignorant, small-town, 17-year-old girl. It sucked.

It's probably needless to say that I still suffer some PTSD from all this. Nightmares and occasionally flashbacks. I still avoid driving routes where I would have to turn left across traffic to get where I'm going. I'll go the long way sometimes and make all right turns. My friendship with my friend fell apart after the accident because she had some other friends that were psychotic and wanted to shun me for getting into such a horrific accident, plus her family sued our insurance for her injuries so that made things a little tense. Oddly enough, we started putting our friendship back together a couple years later and then she ended up getting herself and another friend of ours killed in her own car accident by speeding down a dirt road and wrapping her car around a tree, so that was traumatic for me. Even my own family was not all that supportive about my accident. My siblings would make pop-shots at me about my terrible driving mistake and what a jerk I was for wrecking our mom's Blazer, which she loved. My dad partially blamed his going out and cheating on my mom and ending their marriage on the stress of my accident, so there's that too.

As an attempt to figure out a way to live with myself, I became a nurse. It helps but I'll be honest, I'm still pretty damaged. I deal. I know I'm not the only one to suffer some serious trauma in life.

Luckily, they've upped the driver's ed requirements for teenagers since I was a kid. I know I won't be letting my daughter drive unsupervised for a good long time and she's going to get way more practice in than I did.

TLDR: Distracted/inexperienced driving kills. Don't do it.

• jpm1 and marco6158 like this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:53 AM

very, very interesting posting my friend. be courageous my friend, anyone has the right of a second chance. even apostle Paul killed people, and that didn't prevent him from enlightening the world. the fact that you decided to help other people after that shows that you have a beautiful inside. what happened to you seems to me no more no less than a youth error. something that could have happened to any of us

• Milfrah likes this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:51 AM Edited by HeavyDuke, 16 July 2017 - 05:31 PM.

TLDR: Distracted/inexperienced driving kills. Don't do it.

Well at least you learned something. I kind of like how at least you feel bad about what happend, regret every bit of it. That however doesn't mean you should let it controle you for the rest of your life. Sounds like a rookie mistake, the real ones to blame is whoever gave you permission to succeed for your drivers licence. They should be delth with for not seeing that you where to scared to drive really. I know a couple of people who simply didn't get their licence because of that. Which is a good thing. I rather drive them somewhere then facing them on the road myself to be honest.

For me driving and predicting assholeish behaviour is 1+1=2, for them its First_Equation_Ever.png.

That being said they are smarter then me when it comes to real math, i think its kind of like my mind is like cruising along with the car, my eyes a half a mile ahead while my unconsciousness takes care of the driving part. For them driving is like writing text with a pen equiped with a vibrator.

I know these kind of people:
Regular new drivers: Do their jobs not killing others.

Dick drivers: Do their job by being a bag of dicks. Best case they eventually wrap themself around a tree.

Nervous new drivers: See everything that moves as a potential hazzard, which causes them to be the real hazzard.

Retard drivers: Anyone who's busy with their phones while driving or did drugs/alchol before driving. IMO this should be an instant licence loss and force that one to take the entire learning driving course again.

And then there are:

German car drivers: Whuts a blinker/signal light for hurrr duhhrrrr?

And your dad who started to bone some other instead of your mom, thats bullsh*t. Has nothing to do with the accident. Means he just didn't want to take responsibility and wanted some sooshi.

• Milfrah likes this

Night Machine
  • Night Machine

1980's Time Traveler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:42 AM Edited by Night Machine, 17 July 2017 - 02:42 AM.

The worst car involved accident is when I was 10 and got hit by a car while crossing the highway on my bicycle to go play Altered Beast at the gas station.  They were going 60 MPH and never saw me and hit me at full speed.  My GT Pro Performer BMX was folded in half and my mags exploded and they never found my shoes.  I flew 50 yards down the road and 20 ft into the air and landed head first then flipped onto my back.  I had severe road rash on my head & back and broke both my collar bones, cracked 2 vertebrate and my hip.   I walked out of the hospital the next day.  :cool:  All my friends thought I was immortal after that.  I have clinically died once and lived 2 days with 2 collapsed lungs with no medical attention after that so I tend to believe they may be right.  

• Milfrah likes this

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

Bad Mommy

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

The worst car involved accident is when I was 10 and got hit by a car while crossing the highway on my bicycle to go play Altered Beast at the gas station.  They were going 60 MPH and never saw me and hit me at full speed.  My GT Pro Performer BMX was folded in half and my mags exploded and they never found my shoes.  I flew 50 yards down the road and 20 ft into the air and landed head first then flipped onto my back.  I had severe road rash on my head & back and broke both my collar bones, cracked 2 vertebrate and my hip.   I walked out of the hospital the next day.  :cool:  All my friends thought I was immortal after that.  I have clinically died once and lived 2 days with 2 collapsed lungs with no medical attention after that so I tend to believe they may be right.  

Damn I wish I had a cyborg-like physical constitution like that! I nearly died in the hospital when my gallbladder went bad a few years back. :sigh: You are lucky to be alive!

I knew a guy who was in an accident almost just like yours. He was 8 years old and crossing the street to go buy candy from the gas station. Car came speeding along and hit him. He was pretty messed up for awhile though, was in a coma for 20-something days. He ended up being functional but not quite himself after that. He suffered from spasms, seizures, and was prone to violent outbursts. Can't hold a job now or maintain a relationship.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users