Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:49 AM

But...how? Integrated how?

What would be the benefits of undertaking such a task such that it's worth doing instead of users just...going to the wiki?

Dr.Playboy
  • Dr.Playboy

sh*tposter -->

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

How accurate is the lore on GTAWIKI

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

How accurate is the lore on GTAWIKI

About as accurate as reading slurs written on bathroom stalls and concluding them to be facts.

• thehambone likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

I'm gonna bump this for the sake of pointing something out here:

oMmDO.jpg

I see that someone wrote himself into a page and I got rid of it, since you know, there's literally no point in putting real life people in a page for GTA folks. Then it gets reverted back to the original. I'm guessing their egos are crazy crazy big, especially when you read some of their pages:

06bpg.jpg

• Tomasak, Nico, Mr. Fartenhate and 4 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

I'm gonna bump this for the sake of pointing something out here:

oMmDO.jpg

I see that someone wrote himself into a page and I got rid of it, since you know, there's literally no point in putting real life people in a page for GTA folks. Then it gets reverted back to the original. I'm guessing their egos are crazy crazy big, especially when you read some of their pages:

06bpg.jpg

Also, Tony 1998 is a Proud Mexican, and a Proud Catholic according to his Bio.

• thehambone and Gumballguy34 like this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:00 AM

Heat is based on Nike because it has ticks on it before, LAWL.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:03 AM

>proud catholic

Isn't one of the things Jesus taught us to be humble & meek? don't turn this into a religious debate please

I took it to one of the staff guys and they told me to "stop thinking about myself". OK

• B Dawg, Mr. Fartenhate and thehambone like this

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:28 AM

>proud catholic

Isn't one of the things Jesus taught us to be humble & meek? don't turn this into a religious debate please

I took it to one of the staff guys and they told me to "stop thinking about myself". OK

I'm a member on the wiki personally, we don't really talk about how great we are, like, at all. I don't know about putting the staff members names on the disambig pages, but yeah, those pages refer to things in and outside canon, and that includes prominent staff on the wiki. Basing the place off of that one page isn't really giving it a good chance. BTW, I saw you got yelled at for putting down insulting, rude comments while editing. several times. You seem like a pretty immature person yourself. Good going  :bored:

• Monkeypolice188 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:38 AM Edited by universetwisters, 01 October 2015 - 11:42 AM.

It gets pretty frustrating there when you have to deal with sorting out misinformation with actual information. Actually look into why I said them. The vast bulk of the times it was reacting personally to an awful piece of misinformation ("who was the dolt who said this" etc.). But yeah, that guy told me that some Jeff guy did it too. You didn't read my page enough to know about putting staff members on the pages, but rather everything else? Wow, that isn't one sided at all. Especially with saying I'm basing it on that one page. Did you even read the first page of the thread? If not all moderators do it, great. But literally no other wiki I know of does that, where they mix real life stuff in with the game related stuff.

Hell, even the higher-ups I've seen partake a bit of fanon. One of them put some random building from Trenton in saying it was Reed Tucker's dojo :O

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

It gets pretty frustrating there when you have to deal with sorting out misinformation with actual information. Actually look into why I said them. The vast bulk of the times it was reacting personally to an awful piece of misinformation ("who was the dolt who said this" etc.). But yeah, that guy told me that some Jeff guy did it too. You didn't read my page enough to know about putting staff members on the pages, but rather everything else? Wow, that isn't one sided at all. Especially with saying I'm basing it on that one page. Did you even read the first page of the thread? If not all moderators do it, great. But literally no other wiki I know of does that, where they mix real life stuff in with the game related stuff.

Hell, even the higher-ups I've seen partake a bit of fanon. One of them put some random building from Trenton in saying it was Reed Tucker's dojo :O

I know that there's some Staff Member names on the disambig pages, they're DISAMBIGUATION pages, their intent is to have all the possible people you could be referring to when you search the name. If you want to look up Gay Tony, OR a staff member to help you, with the name of Tony, that's where you do it. We aren't vain, we're just trying to make the experience the best it can be. Speaking of which, I was trying to make the Wiki's Twitter a little more "lively", what do you think we could do? 

Also, could you send a link to the fanfiction please? Some of the higher ups make fan fiction, on the side, in their profile. We make sure to keep info that has no facts or evidence to back it up, out of the wiki. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

Goddamnit, I accidentally closed the tab where I made a lengthy response, so I'll just dumb it down - if your intent is so big on "making the experience the best it can be", then why not make a dropdown thing or whatever it's called on the top of each page listing specifically who all the moderators are, instead of putting them in with the rest of them? And honestly, what's the purpose of any wiki having a twitter?

As for the fanfiction, I don't know what exactly's there right as I type this, but let me give an example of one that wasn't too long ago - a few weeks or so ago, there was this page some guy made for this movie called "Mafia", which was apparently some mob movie that existed within GTA's universe. The only thing left of it is the talk page, but as I explained, the original creator of the page was known for creating fanfiction and instead of being reprimanded by the moderators or whomever, one even edited the page without thinking "Hmmm, this clearly doesn't exist in GTA". I point that out and an administrator asks "should this page be kept or deleted"? If you knew your GTA and such, you'd know it doesn't exist, so would there be any meaningful use in having it up? Of course, it sounds like a contest of who knows the most about GTA saying that, but if you're gonna be the administrator of a site that archives all things GTA, you know, that would be a plus.

• thehambone likes this

Alexander
  • Alexander

I'm just gonna pirate everything from T2

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:42 PM Edited by AlexanderS4, 02 October 2015 - 01:14 AM.

Exactly this happens in the spanish wikia as well.

Can confirm. I did A LOT of edits to the wikia, because ffs that place was terrible. What happened? Got my changes reverted with, as you said, the "we're right and everyone outside us is wrong" attitude.

• Nico and Videogames888 like this

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:21 PM

Goddamnit, I accidentally closed the tab where I made a lengthy response, so I'll just dumb it down - if your intent is so big on "making the experience the best it can be", then why not make a dropdown thing or whatever it's called on the top of each page listing specifically who all the moderators are, instead of putting them in with the rest of them? And honestly, what's the purpose of any wiki having a twitter?

As for the fanfiction, I don't know what exactly's there right as I type this, but let me give an example of one that wasn't too long ago - a few weeks or so ago, there was this page some guy made for this movie called "Mafia", which was apparently some mob movie that existed within GTA's universe. The only thing left of it is the talk page, but as I explained, the original creator of the page was known for creating fanfiction and instead of being reprimanded by the moderators or whomever, one even edited the page without thinking "Hmmm, this clearly doesn't exist in GTA". I point that out and an administrator asks "should this page be kept or deleted"? If you knew your GTA and such, you'd know it doesn't exist, so would there be any meaningful use in having it up? Of course, it sounds like a contest of who knows the most about GTA saying that, but if you're gonna be the administrator of a site that archives all things GTA, you know, that would be a plus.

Sorry to hear that your full response got deleted, I can relate! Besides that, the reason that we don't have a dropdown tab like the kind we have on the games of the series, is because there would just be too many names. We currently have 15 people working on our staff as patrollers (myself), administrators, and bureaucrats. The max is 16. Now tell me, is making a dropdown tab REALLY necessary for staff? I don't see the point in throwing a fit over a prominent member of the staff, being on the disambiguation page. We don't put our names on anything having to do with canonical information, so why do you say we have big egos? About the Twitter, we have that as a source of info to share things about the wiki, GTA, and just random videos even. We actually have one of our staff members in critical condition, in a hospital; sharing info like that about someone we care and know about isn't egotistical. 

About the fan-fiction again, I can't see the article. It was deleted for lack of evidence, and partially because of you, which I must say thanks for. The guy who asked about it being deleted or not, who'm I happen to be friends with, may have been asking it rhetorically, or might have meant it in a way that was asking for more proof it doesn't exist (there's a lot of movie ads in-game), or maybe even just asking legitimately, skeptically, because of some of the things that you've said previously being rude and offensive, giving him a reason not to trust you. 

In any case, we work to provide the best information on GTA out there. I'm sorry, but GrandTheftWiki is practically dead at this point. The pages they DO have up are short paragraphs, that are more like a definition in a dictionary, than a egit page that the GTA Wiki would have. As for admins or higher ups removing content, I apologize if you feel you were mistreated. The things I've seen removed are mostly either trolls, or things that just aren't true at all. Just follow the guidelines, be civil, contribute facts, pages, images and videos that work well in the context, and you should do fine.  

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:50 PM Edited by universetwisters, 01 October 2015 - 11:51 PM.

I just said about the big egos, the idea you have to write yourself into disambiguation pages. When asked "what should we do about it", I give an idea, only for it to be shot down with "there would just be too many names" (even though 15 isn't really a lot) and now we're back at the first point.

For the second paragraph, even if there are a lot of movie ads within the game, shouldn't it be the responsibility of the moderators, admins, whoever to be able to use their knowledge of GTA to weed out what's actually there and what isn't? Stop using the "the past things you said were offensive" excuse, when they're dealing with something that was clearly a fake and didn't exist within the GTA universe. I remember a while ago (it's mentioned here a few pages ago), some guy made up a bunch of slogans, flight destinations, etc. for FlyUS that weren't even mentioned anywhere in the game and it was skipped over by many other higher-ups until someone did something about it. Like I mentioned before, a moderator edited that movie page. A moderator lacked the proper judgement to tell whether or not something was legitimate or a fake, and let it stay until I mentioned it. Isn't that a reason not to trust the moderators and such, at least as far as legitimacy and checking sources go?

"We work to provide...", of curiosity, are you a higher-up like an admin or bureaucrat or however they are, or are you someone who just did a few edits? Either way, you're coming off like you're speaking for the entire site. Sure, GrandTheftWiki might be dead, but at least the way it's done up, it isn't open source for anyone to edit and throw their misinformation in, like the GTAWikia. Like I said before in the thread, I'd rather read outdated information as opposed to being misinformed.

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:32 AM

I just said about the big egos, the idea you have to write yourself into disambiguation pages. When asked "what should we do about it", I give an idea, only for it to be shot down with "there would just be too many names" (even though 15 isn't really a lot) and now we're back at the first point.

For the second paragraph, even if there are a lot of movie ads within the game, shouldn't it be the responsibility of the moderators, admins, whoever to be able to use their knowledge of GTA to weed out what's actually there and what isn't? Stop using the "the past things you said were offensive" excuse, when they're dealing with something that was clearly a fake and didn't exist within the GTA universe. I remember a while ago (it's mentioned here a few pages ago), some guy made up a bunch of slogans, flight destinations, etc. for FlyUS that weren't even mentioned anywhere in the game and it was skipped over by many other higher-ups until someone did something about it. Like I mentioned before, a moderator edited that movie page. A moderator lacked the proper judgement to tell whether or not something was legitimate or a fake, and let it stay until I mentioned it. Isn't that a reason not to trust the moderators and such, at least as far as legitimacy and checking sources go?

"We work to provide...", of curiosity, are you a higher-up like an admin or bureaucrat or however they are, or are you someone who just did a few edits? Either way, you're coming off like you're speaking for the entire site. Sure, GrandTheftWiki might be dead, but at least the way it's done up, it isn't open source for anyone to edit and throw their misinformation in, like the GTAWikia. Like I said before in the thread, I'd rather read outdated information as opposed to being misinformed.

Yeah, there would be too many names. Putting 15 people all on the same vertical line down the page would just clutter it up and make it look bad, which I've seen people complain about as is. The disambig page is for ANYTHING pertaining to the GTA Series, that includes in-game features, the people who make it, or the people who document the info into a easier-to-digest form. That admin, counts as someone who does their damndest to make sure all the info from the series is brought to a place that it needs to be, having a link to the page of someone who does this, shouldn't be the thing that drives you off of it. Like I said, you won't be finding a staff members name proudly displayed on any of the main articles, THAT would be an ego.

As far as small, in-game things like that go, we're only human. We can't fix everything automatically and check if it makes sense to be there. Admins are there, more or less to keep the peace, communicate with higher ups, help users, manage other "factions" of the wiki, manage page layouts, and report/ban if needed; now tell me, WHERE-DOES-IT-SAY-TO-GO-INTO-TELEPATHY-MODE-TO-CHECK-IF-EVERY-SMALL-METICULOUS-DETAIL-ON-EVERY-ARTICLE-AND-EVERY-GAME-IS-100%-ACCURATE? It doesn't, and you know why it doesn't? Because we have regular users with good and bad intentions coming to the wiki on regular basis, checking facts and trying to keep it as well running as the higher ups do. We aren't f*ckin' Jesus, and if you can make a change on a page, without completely insulting others while doing so, I'd be ecstatic. It's the regular users as much as the big ones to try and fix these problems (like the FlyUS one) don't sit there bitching about how slow we are to see a problem, just do it yourself, we all learn to be *that* much more vigilant, and move on with our day. If you encountered admin that wouldn't fix it, or took some time to do so (like my friend that you talked about earlier) I sincerely apologize for the traumatic experience, but go to another one! There's 15 admins for a reason! There's a reason that our staff shows up on out of canon pages, like disambig pages, to show places you should go in the event of something that you showed earlier!

I'm not an official rep of the Wiki, no, but I enjoy it so damn much that I pretty much have, and want, to defend it as much as possible. I have an extreme amount of respect for the majority of people I've met on there, so I'm defending them as much as the wiki collectively. And about vandalism in general, I know that I went on a rant about YOU, THE USER doing as much to fix this problem as the admins should, but we still try and prevent the spread of misinformation. You know how many jackasses have tried making GTA VI an article? These things stay on the wiki for about 10 minutes before being deleted nowadays. On the GrandTheftWiki, there's nothing TO vandalise. Everything is so abandoned that neither users nor trolls go on the site to screw sh*t up, but on the flip side, there's no current info coming in, or people that edit. If there's one thing I envy about the GrandTheftWiki, it's that they get to be independent, instead of being confined to Wikia (with those god damn ads), but that's literally it. I have no interest in the place because of the emptiness and dated pages. 

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

Where's the essay?

• PhillBellic and Gumballguy34 like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:44 AM

Instead of people complaining that GrandTheftWiki is dead and that GTAWiki is unreliable, why don't they start updating GrandTheftWiki? I'm not saying that it has to have a large rush of new information and edits all at once, but when people who want to have time, they can edit it. That would get it up-to-date, and have people not complaining that GTAWiki is the only complete wiki.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:06 AM Edited by universetwisters, 02 October 2015 - 01:07 AM.

Where's the essay?

It's on the first page.

@Mortsnarg - So if someone named Gary or whoever were to join the wiki and make one edit, would his name be warranted on a disambiguation page? Is making a page titled "Staff members" or something similar and linking it to the main page or in one of those drop down bars really really that difficult to do? If those admins do their damndest to make sure all that info is brought to a place where it needs to be, they sure aren't doing the job of telling whether or not it's actually info or not. Like I said before that you glossed over, my main problem is that a higher-up actually looked at the page, edited it, and didn't have a second thought about whether or not the information was factual or whether or not it had a source. If anything, my insulting came from the fact that the folks, like I said before, ignored the problem and are only doing something because it got specifically pointed out to them. If you don't think they can or want to justify one of the reasons as to why they can't, then they shouldn't be in the position of heading one of the most popular information sites for the GTA series and be replaced with someone who can, like someone who actually checks sources, references, etc.

Like I said before, if you try to prevent the spread of information, that's fine. Try all you like, but eventually you're going to have to come to a point to where you're going to have to stop trying to stop it and actually stopping it. I remember there was a page for a television channel called "X" or something like that which ended up getting deleted because, you know, it didn't exist, but I do remember it was up for the longest time. Then you got the tracklist for Liberty Soul that someone added in June 2011 and wasn't fixed until September of that year. The same thing happened earlier this year, but it only stayed a month. There's some things you can take from GrandTheftWiki, like email verifications if I recall, that you can't just do with wikia and other stuff. That much I understand, having worked with wikia before for other stuff. But what I don't understand is why the admins, patrollers, general people in authority don't take more actions to get rid of misinformation and using new things to make sure information is accurate. Why not cite the sources something came from, like wikipedia? If it isn't cited, it should get deleted. And it isn't too hard to cite stuff, I mean hell, some Vice City character pages had cited references.

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:26 AM

That was some good info you have there so 9/10. But for the essay structure, the use of first person and lack of STEEL I'd give you a 3/10.

• Alexander and Gumballguy34 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:35 AM

That was some good info you have there so 9/10. But for the essay structure, the use of first person and lack of STEEL I'd give you a 3/10.

Sorry, teacher. I would've done my homework on STEEL but a dog ate it.
  • UshaB and Videogames888 like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:40 AM

Yeah well, this is what happens.

• universetwisters, PhillBellic, Videogames888 and 1 other like this

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:49 AM

Where's the essay?

It's on the first page.

@Mortsnarg - So if someone named Gary or whoever were to join the wiki and make one edit, would his name be warranted on a disambiguation page? Is making a page titled "Staff members" or something similar and linking it to the main page or in one of those drop down bars really really that difficult to do? If those admins do their damndest to make sure all that info is brought to a place where it needs to be, they sure aren't doing the job of telling whether or not it's actually info or not. Like I said before that you glossed over, my main problem is that a higher-up actually looked at the page, edited it, and didn't have a second thought about whether or not the information was factual or whether or not it had a source. If anything, my insulting came from the fact that the folks, like I said before, ignored the problem and are only doing something because it got specifically pointed out to them. If you don't think they can or want to justify one of the reasons as to why they can't, then they shouldn't be in the position of heading one of the most popular information sites for the GTA series and be replaced with someone who can, like someone who actually checks sources, references, etc.

Like I said before, if you try to prevent the spread of information, that's fine. Try all you like, but eventually you're going to have to come to a point to where you're going to have to stop trying to stop it and actually stopping it. I remember there was a page for a television channel called "X" or something like that which ended up getting deleted because, you know, it didn't exist, but I do remember it was up for the longest time. Then you got the tracklist for Liberty Soul that someone added in June 2011 and wasn't fixed until September of that year. The same thing happened earlier this year, but it only stayed a month. There's some things you can take from GrandTheftWiki, like email verifications if I recall, that you can't just do with wikia and other stuff. That much I understand, having worked with wikia before for other stuff. But what I don't understand is why the admins, patrollers, general people in authority don't take more actions to get rid of misinformation and using new things to make sure information is accurate. Why not cite the sources something came from, like wikipedia? If it isn't cited, it should get deleted. And it isn't too hard to cite stuff, I mean hell, some Vice City character pages had cited references.

Admins get on disambig pages, no one else. "Gary" doesn't get put on there because he isn't an admin, it's that simple. They have a list of staff members on the page "GTA Wiki Staff", in the community tab, I don't think it's in an accessible place, and it's often ignored, but whatever. The reason there even IS a disambig page is to prevent confusion. If, lets say, Bob, decides to look up Tony, then clicks on the first result, doesn't find the Tony he was looking for, he goes to that page. That simple. As for admin ignoring sh*t like FlyUS, not all edits are carefully analyzed. Like I said earlier, we aren't Jesus. I look through the recent edits on a regular basis, trying to find stupid sh*t that people post, and correct it if it needs to be. Some pages are forgotten and "lost", those are the ones that may be fake. As for pages created regularly, we check those. Like I said, we've deleted GTA VI about 7 times now, and here you are thinking we're all incompetent morons that can't read. We fix what we see wrong, if you want to be a member of wikia AT ALL, it's pretty much the same procedure for you. Also, about the sources, we have them. Whenever we mention the design of a car or building, we link either a picture or Wikipedia article. Or when we mention an article someone wrote, we link that as well. We cover this. 

I take care of problems I either see, or are alerted too. We can't fix what we don't know even exists, so stop trying to fault the wiki for not picking up on one or two pages, that aren't even to do with anything. GrandTheftWiki is a ghetto-ass site, that has LONG since been abandoned, and stole the majority of its info from the GTA Wiki. What it hasn't stolen, it's poorly explained. When I first got into the GTA community, back in Summer 2013, I picked the GTA Wiki over the GrandTheftWiki for information, you know why? Because the majority of its information is thoughtfully written and current. Do you see mistakes on the pages that really matter? Do you see the Grand Theft Auto IV page completely vandalized and an incomprehensible mess? No, you don't. I'm not comparing here, I'm just thinking about what is truly relevant about this and what works on our wiki, which is the majority of things. 

I'm sorry you don't like our wiki, and how we screwed up on like 5, maybe 8 pages throughout a grand total of 10,000+, yeah judge everything by a few mistakes in the decisions of admin. We aren't perfect, but, as completely bias as this is, the GTA Wiki is FAR better than the Grand Theft Wiki for multiple reasons. Sorry if you don't like some of the admins, don't agree with some of the decisions made, and don't like how some incorrect paragraphs of text, or pages are left ignored. Just deal with and stop bitching about the tiny details. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:03 AM Edited by universetwisters, 02 October 2015 - 03:03 AM.

We're pretty much going in circles at this point so it isn't worth doing lengthy paragraphs at this point now. Thus, bulletpoints.

*The community tab is very accessible for me and everybody else who can read. Who made the call that it was ignored and that someone searching for a user by their first name would be easier than simply using that tab?

*I know you aren't Jesus, but if you're going to invest your time into running the largest GTA wiki, you may as well do it right. I still think you're incompetent morons who can't read and the points I made that you keep seeming to ignore (THAT MAFIA MOVIE) are just perpetuating that fact.

*Grandtheftwiki stealing information from GTAwiki, didn't GTAwiki split into Grandtheftwiki and GTAWikia, or something like that? And even then, you can't claim one place is the definite source for information. If I were to point out that the sky is blue or whatever, and you do the same, would it be right for me to get pissy at you? I sure hope it isn't.

*You kinda were comparing there in your second paragraph, sorta. Of course, the Grandtheftwiki lacks a lot compared to the GTAwikia, but that doesn't mean that the information on there is any less credible than the same stuff on the GTAwikia, or that GTAwikia caters to the more pointless, trivial drivel than Grandtheftwiki.

*I am going to judge because as I keep pointing out, it's the admins and other higher-up's responsibility to weed out the misinformation. I feel as though they failed and I take the GTAwikia with a lot less credibility than I did in the past. You don't need to sit here and justify everything they do in an attempt to woo me back there or something, seeing as that's what it's seeming like you're trying to do.

Bender
  • Bender

Swiss Army Dildo

• Daily Globe
  • Netherlands
  • Best Kitchen Appliance 2016

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

i never knew the mafia movie was a hoax. i never would want to search whole star junction for proof.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

i never knew the mafia movie was a hoax. i never would want to search whole star junction for proof.

Perhaps that's what's keeping them from doing any real factchecking?

*x files theme*

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:38 PM Edited by Mortsnarg, 02 October 2015 - 11:40 PM.

We're pretty much going in circles at this point so it isn't worth doing lengthy paragraphs at this point now. Thus, bulletpoints.

*The community tab is very accessible for me and everybody else who can read. Who made the call that it was ignored and that someone searching for a user by their first name would be easier than simply using that tab?

*I know you aren't Jesus, but if you're going to invest your time into running the largest GTA wiki, you may as well do it right. I still think you're incompetent morons who can't read and the points I made that you keep seeming to ignore (THAT MAFIA MOVIE) are just perpetuating that fact.

*Grandtheftwiki stealing information from GTAwiki, didn't GTAwiki split into Grandtheftwiki and GTAWikia, or something like that? And even then, you can't claim one place is the definite source for information. If I were to point out that the sky is blue or whatever, and you do the same, would it be right for me to get pissy at you? I sure hope it isn't.

*You kinda were comparing there in your second paragraph, sorta. Of course, the Grandtheftwiki lacks a lot compared to the GTAwikia, but that doesn't mean that the information on there is any less credible than the same stuff on the GTAwikia, or that GTAwikia caters to the more pointless, trivial drivel than Grandtheftwiki.

*I am going to judge because as I keep pointing out, it's the admins and other higher-up's responsibility to weed out the misinformation. I feel as though they failed and I take the GTAwikia with a lot less credibility than I did in the past. You don't need to sit here and justify everything they do in an attempt to woo me back there or something, seeing as that's what it's seeming like you're trying to do.

And for the most part, we do everything you listed, or at least do our best to.

• You can look staff up in the tab section, don't even know why we're arguing about this. 
  • Every member of the staff invests our time into the wiki well. If there's something wrong WE SEE, it's more than likely gonna be fixed. If there's any hesitation about it, we're probably seeing if what YOU state is true or not (THAT MAFIA MOVIE) and if checking the facts via other pages and in-game. If we were really "incompetent", trolls would be running rampant and WOULDN'T get dealt with, half of the pages would be vandalized, and the layout would be inaccessible and all the articles would be outdated. 
  • If a wiki wants to split from another, that's fine. Creating a new one because they didn't like the old one, is okay. But having the exact same info, set up the exact same way, is a little redundant, and would be considered ripping off in any meaning of the word. An example is this vs. this. I'm not saying ALL of the info is a direct rip off of the other, but it is where it counts (such as the pages I mentioned.)
  • About the comparison of info, yeah GTA Wiki succeeds at putting more on the page, even without the use of trivia (which is at this point, neutral for me). Here's two examples, and like I said earlier, Grand Theft Wiki has better "definition" style info, where as the GTA Wiki is better at general, "Wikipedia" style, information. 
  • And to conclude, the admins DO weed out the crap from pages, they just can't get all of it. Imagine it like a water filter, I mean, you're able to get the majority of water through nicely, and make it drinkable; but sometimes, a leaf or some crap gets through, especially when there's a lot of water going in. People always seem to point out the minority of mistakes rather than the majority of successes, and from most (not all mind you, I still think some points you made are pretty valid) of the criticisms that you made here, it seems to be a mistake, a wrong choice made by a pretty competent editor, or just nitpicking in general over things that plague pretty much ALL larger websites at some point or another. I'm not trying to make YOU become an admin or some sh*t like that, I'd just prefer that you give credit where credit is due, and know that the wiki genuinely works hard at making the content as good as it possibly can be.

Like you said, this sh*t is going in circles. Let's wrap it up soon. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:43 AM

TL;dr, I have no faith in the Gtawikia, you put all your faith into it. We aren't gonna be changing our opinions anytime soon.

Mortsnarg
  • Mortsnarg

Irony and bad ideas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:50 AM

TL;dr, I have no faith in the Gtawikia, you put all your faith into it. We aren't gonna be changing our opinions anytime soon.

Fair enough, just show credit where credit is due. 

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

I cringe whenever one of my friends think whatever crap on GTA Wiki is true.

• universetwisters, PhillBellic and Videogames888 like this

BlackSnow176
  • BlackSnow176

Cat in Shoes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

I like GTAWiki. It has good information and it's realiable for the most part. Sometimes I've read suspicious things in it, but hey, you can read suspicious things in the original Wikipedia as well (especially in languages other than English).

• theGTAking101 and Mortsnarg like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users