GTAWikia essay

485 replies to this topic
Ihatetrevor
  • Ihatetrevor

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

i edit add stuff to the gta wikia, and you're right, i did find some nonsense bullsh*t.
like the movie producer steve was going to be in the beta SA along with someone from manhunt.
i'd move on to grandtheftwiki too if it wasn't so unfinished and lacked lots of information.

once i made pages for the people appearing in Eye in the sky, so i added the tramp to the tramp list in the tramp page, pimp in the pimp list in the pimp page etc and then someone reverted all the lists. also someone once thought the homeless guy was the same guy from repossesion, so i removed that too.

There are also pages for gta v that need images, and nobody has thought of the share button so i obviously do it and help the wiki.

The homeless guy can be the same as repossesion, as he mentions zapho

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:11 AM

meh, gta wikia is more up to date, so idgaf

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

It's up to date, but how accurate is the information? That and has anyone noticed that the font got hideously bigger?

Not too big of a bump but still spread the word

• Sweet Bellic and Videogames888 like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

🦋 This action will have consequences...

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

It's up to date, but how accurate is the information? That and has anyone noticed that the font got hideously bigger?

It's actually not GTAWiki's fault but Wikia's fault. Morons thought that mobile experience is better and more important than desktop experience and so they f*cked over just about every desktop user 3 days ago.

• PhillBellic and Videogames888 like this

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

OP I agree 100% with. One of the main flaws of GTA wikia is that they enable speculation and I mean A LOT. Their gang articles are the object example of this. Not only that, but many of their editors think they are know it all and if you question them than you get jumped. Before the release of GTA 5 I had to argue tooth and nail that the Families in GTA 5 are NOT named Grove Street. They then admitted that I was right.

The car articles are the only good thing about the site. 

• thehambone likes this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

It's not that accurate, for sure, but the pros outweigh the cons.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

>not accurate for sure
>pros outweigh the cons

Isn't the whole point of a site like GTAwikia to be accurate? If it isn't, what "pros" outweigh the cons?

• Tomasak and Videogames888 like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:33 PM Edited by Zello, 21 May 2015 - 06:35 PM.

GTAWikia has been sh*t since the split in 2010 it's not accurate now and it has a lot of fake stuff on there

• The Made Man, PhillBellic, thehambone and 1 other like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

It's actually not GTAWiki's fault but Wikia's fault. Morons thought that mobile experience is better and more important than desktop experience and so they f*cked over just about every desktop user 3 days ago.

Also, they pissed off many groups when they introduced the 'Oasis' layout.

• theGTAking101 and Videogames888 like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

>not accurate for sure
>pros outweigh the cons

Isn't the whole point of a site like GTAwikia to be accurate? If it isn't, what "pros" outweigh the cons?

greentext in gtaf, lel

What I meant is that sure, there is some info that is plain bullsh*t, but it comes in handy since it's the most up to date with everything rockstar has made, the last time I saw the other wiki they didn't even had info about a GTA V car rendition

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

since it's the most up to date with everything rockstar has made

I think the point he's trying to make is that it doesn't matter if they have more information, more up to date information, more in-depth information or whatever, if it's inaccurate then it's all completely worthless; the first priority of a wiki is to be accurate, since if it's not then it's pointless. 

However, GTA Wikia seems to be mostly accurate for general information on cars and the like, it's things like more obscure info and trivia sections, which aren't checked as much, where it all falls down. 

• PhillBellic and matajuegos01 like this

Fenton
  • Fenton

Facade's Ponytail Resident

• Facade
  • Indonesia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

On my old days, I checked the Easter Bay Airport and Francis International Airport from GTA III on gta wiki,  I have seen so much bullsh*t right there, There are some idiot putting "Malaysian Airlines" and "Singapore Airlines" on those pages, My reaction after seeing that like "What the f*ck?", Also on Mike Toreno's page, Someone posting "Beta Toreno" images on the page, I have seen that face on GTAGarage, So much bullsh*t right there, I admit it!

• universetwisters and Zello like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

What I meant is that sure, there is some info that is plain bullsh*t, but it comes in handy since it's the most up to date with everything rockstar has made, the last time I saw the other wiki they didn't even had info about a GTA V car rendition

You admit the info is "plain bullsh*t", yet say it "comes in handy" with stuff up to date. So I dunno if you're a fan of being misinformed or if you want to read up on the latest of the new releases, which themselves have a good bit of misinformation. Hell, remember when the dune buggy from the second trailer was called the "Bandito"? I'd rather have names that aren't placeholders and stuff put on unless it's confirmed. Shame Rockstar doesn't do what Valve did and make the official GTA Wiki.

@Fenton - HOLY f*ck I remember that dude too. His list of places FIA flew to was like Jay1993's lists of the American cities.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

You admit the info is "plain bullsh*t", yet say it "comes in handy" with stuff up to date. So I dunno if you're a fan of being misinformed or if you want to read up on the latest of the new releases, which themselves have a good bit of misinformation. Hell, remember when the dune buggy from the second trailer was called the "Bandito"? I'd rather have names that aren't placeholders and stuff put on unless it's confirmed. Shame Rockstar doesn't do what Valve did and make the official GTA Wiki.

@Fenton - HOLY f*ck I remember that dude too. His list of places FIA flew to was like Jay1993's lists of the American cities.

Yeah, it's more about getting info about the new stuff as it comes up, not gonna wait months for the stuff to appear in the other wiki when I need the info that exact moment, plus, when the info is bullsh*t it's easy to discern it from the real deal, especially since we have the game in our hands.

Call it a matter of choice.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:13 PM Edited by Irrational, 22 May 2015 - 07:13 PM.

Maybe the problem with a GTA Wikia is that the series are enormous and there is too much information to manage.

I used to visit the God of War wikia frequently a few years ago and I remember the info there was super accurate.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:01 PM

Nah, larger games have much, much more in-depth/accurate wikis.

It all depends on if there's a large enough, and dedicated enough, community to produce the content for it. Evidently GTA doesn't have the wiki community it needs for a good wiki.
  • Nico and Videogames888 like this

Ray
  • Ray

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:51 AM

GTA wikia is pretty sh*tty, but it can be helpful if you need a quick fact for a certain character, for example, if you forgot Roman Bellic's voice actor. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend using it. I've always thought that the GTAForums community could make an outstanding wiki since we have such an abundance of dedicated and passionate fans. Hell, the mods do such a good job of dealing with bullsh*t on the forums, I think they'd be great at removing false info from a wiki. It's just an idea, but if people come onboard and really put some effort in, we'd very easily blow GTA wikia right out of the water.
  • LeakyLine likes this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:57 AM Edited by The_Ghost, 23 May 2015 - 04:58 AM.

GTA Wikia has lot's of information that are very misleading and uninformative. GrandTheftWiki was a lot better, but it is quite dead for some time now. Most of GTA Wikia's Trivia section of their articles has lot's of pointless trivial stuff and some of them are just speculations that are not real and there are no factual proof whatsoever.

Examples:

Article: Los Santos International Airport (HD Universe)

• It could be possible that the LSIA is restricted due to the disastrous events in GTA Online. The airport was attacked a few times by the GTA Online Protagonist and resulted in several deaths and a few aircraft destroyed/stolen.

Article: Michael De Santa

• Of all the three protagonists in GTA V, Michael is the only one who can not choose to buy or wear any hats. He also can't switch his shoes in his mansion, unlike Franklin and Trevor, who can wear all shoes with any outfit (i.e. work boots with a suit). This might be a reflection of Michael's personality and expensive taste for clothing, seeing as work boots don't mix with a suit.

Fenton
  • Fenton

Facade's Ponytail Resident

• Facade
  • Indonesia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

Exactly, I have found another bullsh*t on GTA Wikia.

In Fort Zancudo page, I just find a stupid selfie photo from a modder which is using Army General skin on Michael's House.

• Tomasak and LeakyLine like this

Luna 51
  • Luna 51

Where It All Began

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

Here are some stuff I found false.

On the mission for GTA V, Repossession, the truck that is leaving the alley drives through the locked gate as if it not there, it also says it was fixed on PC. This is false, I am on PS3 and I look behind and see the gate open and closes after they leave.

It also says that Mary Jane By Rick James Was deleted from Space 103.2 even though it was already on VCFL, I'm not saying I looked into the files, but no one posted that it was listed as one of the deleted songs on any of the radio stations in 5.

It also listed that Fopp By The Ohio Players was deleted from The Lowdown 91.1, but the grandtheftautowiki listed it from Space 103.2

You're not the only one who trust the wikia.

Ragref
  • Ragref

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:57 AM Edited by Ragref, 26 May 2015 - 03:58 AM.

On the GTA Online protagonist's page, there used to be tons of pictures of the same GTA Online character taking selfies all over the place. It was like their f*cking blog. I checked the history page, guess who I found removing them. ;)

• universetwisters likes this

ManularChimera
  • ManularChimera

True story

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:06 PM Edited by ManularChimera, 26 May 2015 - 03:06 PM.

I know this idea may sound stupid but GTAForums could have its own info section for the Grand Theft Auto games.

• Videogames888 likes this

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

I enjoy using that site. Even if it's incorrect trivia, I enjoy the fact that it gives me an idea of where R* drew their inspiration for a car or gun model.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

On the GTA Online protagonist's page, there used to be tons of pictures of the same GTA Online character taking selfies all over the place. It was like their f*cking blog. I checked the history page, guess who I found removing them. ;)

If it bugs you so much, fix it, even if it risks the moderators ganging up on you.

Ragref
  • Ragref

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

If it bugs you so much, fix it, even if it risks the moderators ganging up on you.

I didn't have the time to, and by the time I went to fix it you already removed it.

JamRock7
  • JamRock7

Packing heat

• BUSTED!
  • Bahamas

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

Whoever owns GTAForums needs to integrate Grand Theft Wiki into the forums.

Yay or nay?

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Why would that be needed? And how would it be integrated?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Whoever owns GTAForums needs to integrate Grand Theft Wiki into the forums.

Yay or nay?

Say whaaaa

Speaking of, anyone see this page? It's just some redundant list on the wiki about real life brands and their counterparts within the GTA series. Not only it's total bullsh*t (There's literally nothing to prove that Well Stacked Pizza is Pizza Hut, and if Budweiser is Pisswasser, what was Budgeezer then?), but when I questioned it on the talk page, some staff member comes in and tries to defend it. The fact that staff members are letting stuff like this up makes me cringe.

That and people keep adding Population numbers to places that clearly have no stated population. Who's trivial enough to do that sort of stuff?

gtafaninwest
  • gtafaninwest

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:38 PM

That's why I quit contributing on Wikis a long time ago. Too much edit wars and too many nazi mods. But yea, GrandTheftWiki is a lot better. Too bad it's not as active as it once was.

JamRock7
  • JamRock7

Packing heat

• BUSTED!
  • Bahamas

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:51 AM

Well GTAF is the largest GTA-dedicated forum and to accompany it, maybe a wiki should be integrated.

Spoiler
  • theGTAking101 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users