THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:03 AM Edited by universetwisters, 28 June 2016 - 06:30 PM.

Forgive the lack of a better title or anything, and also forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, but I felt as though this was the better place for this, as it pertains to the GTA series as a whole.

Anyway, I'll start with what I stated before in many other topics - the GTAWikia is a hodgepodge where misinformation is praised and actual information is ignored. I'm not sure where or why, but I'm assuming it's a magnet for that sort of stuff, sort of like how Florida is a magnet for weirdness. I do remember (and funilly enough it's archived here), it seems as though the community split in 2010 over the principles of wikia itself and got it's own site started up, grandtheftwiki. Speaking from experience, wikia is a lot more user friendly than mediawiki, wikkii, and other similar sites as far as editing goes, so that could possibly be a reason on how so much misinformation gets out, most of it in the trivia section, but not limited to:

*Pointless information on airlines with real life brands that was never mentioned ingame, just for an example on the broader topic of trivial information
*People making pages for hearsay/fanfiction (To be fair, it is on the "speedy deletion" list, but then again, it's been on there since a year ago)

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I love trivial information as much as the next guy does, but at least be factual about it. I want to look something up for proper information, not to be misinformed or be told things that don't exist.

Furthermore, you'd expect the moderators to be all for letting the bad information out and bringing in all the good information by the boatload. Only it doesn't seem like that. Other than the fact they act slowly on taking out the bad information, but also they seem to praise for misinformation and punish for proper information. An example on that just today, I saw on the police car page, someone stated that the Vice City squad car was based off a car it had nothing in common with. So when I fixed it, my edit was reverted by an administrator. I revert his edit with a point, only for him to revert mine with a simple "wrong". Then all his other buddies jump in and the page ends up getting locked. It's not so much the fact that my edit didn't stay up, but rather that it is being acted so hastily upon by a moderator. As I stated before, if misinformation is bad, moderators and other higher-ups that seemingly encourage it are worse.

Call this topic overreacting, making mounds of anthills, etc. but either way, I've been meaning to address these points in one way or another and evidently now's the time I finally got around to it. Sorry if it's a mouthful to read but TL;dr if you want good information, either use a site that's harder to edit and stricter moderators like Grandtheftwiki or play the game and find it yourself

• Mister Pink, -Anti-, Plank. and 29 others like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

It's a shame that GrandTheftWiki is so understaffed. But then again, look at those blokes who work GTAWikia.

Good read. :^:

• universetwisters, PhillBellic, (Ambient) and 4 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

I have a far greater level of trust in GrandTheftWiki, than GTAWikia.

• Videogames888 and BoxiestSumo like this

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Is this easy mode?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:59 AM

Too bad its information is outdated.

• theGTAking101 and Videogames888 like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

For the pre V games, I feel that the information is still very much current, and concise. For V its self. that is another story.

• Videogames888 likes this

Pastry
  • Pastry

you know i had to ring-a-ding do it to em

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

I read that NOOSE will try to shoot missles at you in a Buzzard attack chooper when you have 5 stars in GTA V on the trivia page on the GTA.Wikia. LOL.

That place is just... Bad.

• Roger Cheeto, Niobium, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

I read that NOOSE will try to shoot missles at you in a Buzzard attack chooper when you have 5 stars in GTA V on the trivia page on the GTA.Wikia. LOL.

NOOSE shooting at you with bullets is bad enough, but missiles? :O

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

At one point I recall it was stated that the Annihilator could be found in V single player, and that in the mointains east of LS there was a 'deer man'.

Luna 51
  • Luna 51

Where It All Began

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:13 AM Edited by s2n vaniish, 19 March 2015 - 11:18 AM.

Agreed. A few months ago, I added some substantial stuff to add to a mission, then a few weeks later, it was gone and replaced with something else, I was about to remove it myself (Which I should've did). The people that post that stuff, are probably 9 year olds.

EDIT: for some reason, I added two of myself.
  • Pastry likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Agreed. A few months ago, I added some substantial stuff to add to a mission, then a few weeks later, it was gone and replaced with something else, I was about to remove it myselfmyself (Which I should've did). The people that post that stuff, are probably 9 year olds.

More like the admin on that site are nine year olds? I don't know.

• Luna 51 likes this

American Viking
  • American Viking

WKTT caller

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

I love the GTA wiki. An excellent source of information that in my experience has been spot on. It gets too much crap. 

• gunziness, Journey_95, Roger Cheeto and 3 others like this

housedeep
  • housedeep

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

I love the GTA wiki. An excellent source of information that in my experience has been spot on. It gets too much crap. 

I have gathered good information from there, too. Rarely did I stumble on a page with misleading info.

GrandTheftWiki never appeared on my search results, so I used GTAWiki instead.

• LeakyLine, Dr.Playboy and Gumballguy34 like this

Nico
  • Nico

Gotta compete with the wily Japanese

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

An example on that just today, I saw on the police car page, someone stated that the Vice City squad car was based off a car it had nothing in common with. So when I fixed it, my edit was reverted by an administrator. I revert his edit with a point, only for him to revert mine with a simple "wrong". Then all his other buddies jump in and the page ends up getting locked. It's not so much the fact that my edit didn't stay up, but rather that it is being acted so hastily upon by a moderator. As I stated before, if misinformation is bad, moderators and other higher-ups that seemingly encourage it are worse.

Exactly this happens in the spanish wikia as well. They wrote a rule that forbids putting in vehicle articles their real basement to avoid edit wars. Which is just plain stupid and misinformative. I know I said this many times, but you don't see a thread about those wikis everyday here

That attitude of "we're right and everyone outside us is wrong" just takes away the concept of a wiki, in which everyone should be free to edit articles, express their own opinions, and debate with others. But I guess people in those wikis just can't debate with outsiders and prefer to take their words as facts.

As I said last year, just play the damn game to know everything about it.

• universetwisters, ClaudX, Vice City criminal and 1 other like this

puffy
  • puffy

• BUSTED!
  • Uzbekistan

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

Wikia sites are utter trash anyway. Editing is sh*t on wikia, administration is sh*t from what little I've done of it, and their advertising has always been ridiculous in terms of memory usage (and security a few years ago). I try not to use them when I can avoid it.

This shouldn't be a problem. I don't recall it being when I was looking for DLC info, but they seem to have very little info on GTA: Online, and the PC release date's still listed at Fall 2014. :lol: (here)

I found:

Due to request of Grand Theft Wiki staff, content from Grand Theft Wiki may not be used in whole or in part on GTA Wikia.

which means GTA wiki can't take content from grandtheftwiki. Is the opposite true? It seems toxic to the goals of both wikis, or is there some copyright policy that I don't understand about wikia/s?

• Niobium likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

I'd rather have old information than be misled

Ihatetrevor
  • Ihatetrevor

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

Well, they have alot of misleading information, a long time ago i was reading the trivia section of the police and they wrote there that if you pass 5 minutes in 5 stars police in juggernaut suit will spawn.
But anyway where did you get that star twisters, we dont want to happen the same thing that happened to drunken cowboy

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

Well, they have alot of misleading information, a long time ago i was reading the trivia section of the police and they wrote there that if you pass 5 minutes in 5 stars police in juggernaut suit will spawn.
But anyway where did you get that star twisters, we dont want to happen the same thing that happened to drunken cowboy

It's a star for awards and stuff.

Nico
  • Nico

Gotta compete with the wily Japanese

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

That little star is a really deserved award. Nothing to do with warnings or bans.

• universetwisters, The Deadite and Videogames888 like this

Ihatetrevor
  • Ihatetrevor

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:08 AM

Oh, i thinked that star is for warning and if you acumulate six you get busted

I need to learn more about this forum

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:25 AM

You're thinking of the "BUSTED!" stars. Those appear under the name after you are banned. I've seen other forms of it, but I'm not sure on the details of those.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:34 AM

I remember reading in gtawiki:
"Trevor phillips has similarities with James Earl Cash personality wise"
"Michael represents the gta games,Franklin the midnight club games and Trevor the Manhunt games"
"Niko is able to sell drugs when approaching peds by pressing the left button"
(Tried that for an hour..c*nts)
"Cars in V can be turn off by pressing triangle for a long time"
(Again,fell for it)

The page is mostly ok tho,full of trusty information and things i didn"t know.

It seems like our pal Twisty is just venting with us tbh.
  • Tomasak, gunziness, universetwisters and 6 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

Not really. Just as you stated above, it's a place where misinformation most of the time gets represented as fact and goes about it for great lengths of time before anything is actually done about it. Either that or if you try to change it to something factual, it gets reverted back to it's former state.
  • Niobium and The Deadite like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Not really. Just as you stated above, it's a place where misinformation most of the time gets represented as fact and goes about it for great lengths of time before anything is actually done about it. Either that or if you try to change it to something factual, it gets reverted back to it's former state.
Could be worst,i remember being on Mortal Kombat wikia and reading:
"Goro has 4 penises,each one as big as a baby arm,THIS GAME IS GREAT" and don't get me started on fan-fiction Manhunt wikia..

Jeez,even now,if i go to read the gta wikia (specially V related articles) i'm gonna see a bunch of speculation,fan fiction statements and opinionated "facts", the wikia is better done and trustworthy in 3D universe than in recent games IMO.

PS: lol at Tomasak's avatar.

Bender
  • Bender

Swiss Army Dildo

• Daily Globe
  • Netherlands
  • Best Kitchen Appliance 2016

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:28 PM Edited by RandomStunt, 20 March 2015 - 03:51 PM.

i edit and add stuff to the gta wikia, and you're right, i did find some nonsense bullsh*t.

like the movie producer steve was going to be in the beta SA along with someone from manhunt.

i'd move on to grandtheftwiki too if it wasn't so unfinished and lacked lots of information.

once i made pages for the people appearing in Eye in the sky, so i added the tramp to the tramp list in the tramp page, pimp in the pimp list in the pimp page etc and then someone reverted all the lists. also someone once thought the homeless guy was the same guy from repossesion, so i removed that too.

There are also pages for gta v that need images, and nobody has thought of the share button so i obviously do it and help the wiki.

• universetwisters and UltraGizmo64 like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

You can hover over the star to see what awards(s) someone has - ones ending in years were awarded from the annual award voting thingy, ones not ending in years were given directly by moderators. 

Anyway, I agree with what ya saying UT. The incentive for sourcing info/making sure articles are high quality just isn't there, and the mods don't seem to be the best from what I've seen. It's what happens with most wikis, really - unless you have the rules for quality and active proper moderation to make sure the rules are followed, it'll turn into quantity over quality where having 10 'full' articles with perdy pictures is more desirable than a single quality article, since it makes the wiki seem larger and 'better'.  Sourcing is as simple as linking a potato-cam youtube video or even multiple people on forums saying 'hey there's this thing', but hey, that's effort. 

Still, it's fairly reliable for the most part, at least when ignoring trivia sections and older/more obscure pages. 

• universetwisters, UltraGizmo64 and Niobium like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

🦋 This action will have consequences...

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

The problem with the wiki is that people take their own speculated "facts" over what is proven by almost everything. Even worse is when others jump into defence without actually giving an input of their own. It's basically a science vs religion there - science being the actual game files proving what is true and religion being their opinions on what they see/believe.

Had this long as f*ck argument weeks ago about how many gears has a Faggio and basically what engine does a vehicle have.

In (TL;DR-ish) TL;DR; There was an engine template created. I started adding the easy things like mass, gears, drivetrain and fuel used (if defined). They go saying fuel it uses is not engine type. They go inserting their own BS speculation about what type of engine it is even though ALL CARS USE THE SAME DAMN TEXTURE. Then I edit Faggio page for whatever reason. Next thing I see = "Faggio has only one gear". I revert this and so do they - this kept happening until admin locked the page to stop edit war. I explain the how the handling and basically game files work... what happens next? "Faggio has only one gear you can hear this." Then it goes to the talk page of Faggio. talk, talk, talk. Then I completely own the argument by showing an in-game speedometer mod pointing out that it has 3 gears in game. Expecting a reply that actually accepts the argument ending, the next reply ends up being: "I understand your point. But what actually happens in game is more important than what game files say." other member explains that Faggio does have 3 gears and then "Ok. But no. Of available gears is still 1. So write it ad 3(stated) and 1(usable). It will end all this dispute"... I facepalmed so hard it almost left a mark on my forehead.

I don't mind the place. I edit there regularly with actual information/input/contributions/etc. but sometimes the members can really be annoying. It actually has a REAL potential to be a good, informative wiki, but it's just the way speculations are thrown around like they were facts, pointless media policies, the way the want to merge all pages together because a vehicle has a tiny bit of similarity to other one and members jumping into other's defence without giving an actual input to the arguments is what brings this place down. Especially that even staff members are guilty of these, actually, this whole Faggio/engines thing was me vs. 2 staff members (only one of them was staff at the time).

As I said, this place has lots potential to be one of the best wikis. It's just that there isn't enough people to make things and information 100% right.

• universetwisters, Kalerney, UltraGizmo64 and 4 others like this

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

---

• Members
  • France

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

GTAWikia itself is very interesting. As an hardcore fan, I love being able to consult an encyclopedia about my favorite franchise ever, however I couldn't agree more with the OP. 

The community is awful. A few years ago, I tried to edit something about a very obvious sexual innuendo, that could only be understood if you understand French (R* put a lot of sexual innuendo in other languages, such as spanish, italian etc ...). The moderator removed my edit, so I wrote it a second time, then he deleted it again. We started a stupid argument, he thought I was bullsh*ting, that R* would never do a crude reference in another language ... That's just one example, among many, showing their stupidity and arrogance (they think they know everything). 

Then we have the "wiki syndrome". As "everyone" can edit anything, the valuable and interesting informations stand next to stupid and irrelevant things at best (*cough* trivia section *cough*), or totally false bullsh*ts at worse . A true fan can easily tell the difference between the three, but someone not very familiar with the franchise will get scammed. 

• universetwisters, The_Anti-tragedy, LeakyLine and 4 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

"I understand your point. But what actually happens in game is more important than what game files say." other member explains that Faggio does have 3 gears and then "Ok. But no. Of available gears is still 1. So write it ad 3(stated) and 1(usable). It will end all this dispute"... I facepalmed so hard it almost left a mark on my forehead.

a2eZN3W.gif

@RD - True, that seems to be what I've noticed with most wikis too, from GTAWiki to the sh*t-tier ones like the Pooh's Adventures one. Hell, most realistic wiki I've seen was the TF2 wiki, but then again, doesn't Valve run that or something?

• Jinx., UltraGizmo64 and slimeball supreme like this

Bender
  • Bender

Swiss Army Dildo

• Daily Globe
  • Netherlands
  • Best Kitchen Appliance 2016

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

I don't mind the place. I edit there regularly with actual information/input/contributions/etc. but sometimes the members can really be annoying. It actually has a REAL potential to be a good, informative wiki, but it's just the way speculations are thrown around like they were facts, pointless media policies, the way the want to merge all pages together because a vehicle has a tiny bit of similarity to other one and members jumping into other's defence without giving an actual input to the arguments is what brings this place down. Especially that even staff members are guilty of these, actually, this whole Faggio/engines thing was me vs. 2 staff members (only one of them was staff at the time).

As I said, this place has lots potential to be one of the best wikis. It's just that there isn't enough people to make things and information 100% right.

Can't agree with you more.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

TBH I don't care so much for these specific wikias, if I wanna look up something I do it quickly and I don't care so much, thugh most of the time I do want the right info and I am sure GTAwikia still gives that. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users