Max Payne Series

567 replies to this topic
Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

I've been a big fan of Max Payne for a while now. Used to play it on the PS2 when it was still a relatively fresh game loved it then too. The atmosphere was a main selling point for me, it was perfect, also the way the cutscenes were designed in a comic-fashion was such a good move. What a truly fresh way to tell the story.

max-payne-mobile-screenshot-04.png

It's one of the few games where I feel that the atmosphere was just perfect. The cold, wintry weather of NYC to signal how Max has basically lost everything, and has just become cold and quite ruthless. A far cry from before when we see it all Sunny and how his life is good. When it opens, and you go in to Max's house to see it all smashed it. I still find that to be terrifying, how it all just changes in an instant for him.

Also, who can forget that Nightmare sequence, that was so f*cking haunting. Where you just hear the baby crying in the distance, and make your way through a maze. Crazy sh*t, that used to scare the sh*t out of me lol. The Original is by far the best IMO, nailed everything down perfectly in terms of atmosphere, gameplay and story. The second and third are both really well done sequels though, although I'll admit to being quite put off by some of Max Payne's 3 setting at first, because it was off from what I was used too.

Max Payne 3 is just beautiful though, I loved the moments when you go back to classic Max, and he's wearing he's usual gear.

I think they picked the comic style cutscenes so they wouldn't age as badly as some other cutscenes from games of that era, but they were pretty well drawn. The nightmare sequences were pretty terrifying, but frustrating as hell, had to use a map to get out of the second, but I thought they revealed a bit about Max's problems. But how do you mean the moments in Max Payne 3 when he's classic Max?

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

I've been a big fan of Max Payne for a while now. Used to play it on the PS2 when it was still a relatively fresh game loved it then too. The atmosphere was a main selling point for me, it was perfect, also the way the cutscenes were designed in a comic-fashion was such a good move. What a truly fresh way to tell the story.

It's one of the few games where I feel that the atmosphere was just perfect. The cold, wintry weather of NYC to signal how Max has basically lost everything, and has just become cold and quite ruthless. A far cry from before when we see it all Sunny and how his life is good. When it opens, and you go in to Max's house to see it all smashed it. I still find that to be terrifying, how it all just changes in an instant for him.

Also, who can forget that Nightmare sequence, that was so f*cking haunting. Where you just hear the baby crying in the distance, and make your way through a maze. Crazy sh*t, that used to scare the sh*t out of me lol. The Original is by far the best IMO, nailed everything down perfectly in terms of atmosphere, gameplay and story. The second and third are both really well done sequels though, although I'll admit to being quite put off by some of Max Payne's 3 setting at first, because it was off from what I was used too.

Max Payne 3 is just beautiful though, I loved the moments when you go back to classic Max, and he's wearing he's usual gear.

I think they picked the comic style cutscenes so they wouldn't age as badly as some other cutscenes from games of that era, but they were pretty well drawn. The nightmare sequences were pretty terrifying, but frustrating as hell, had to use a map to get out of the second, but I thought they revealed a bit about Max's problems. But how do you mean the moments in Max Payne 3 when he's classic Max?

Max-Payne-3-delayed-610x343.jpg

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by Onett, 01 September 2014 - 12:57 PM.

Max-Payne-3-delayed-610x343.jpg

Oh right. God damn,  that looks good.

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:16 PM Edited by Onett, 01 September 2014 - 01:16 PM.

I think Remedy using Late Goodbye in the credits of 2, is one of the best uses of music in video games.

• FilthyEsquire and Payne Killer like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

I think Remedy using Late Goodbye in the credits of 2, is one of the best uses of music in video games.

Dat's true. Perfect song for an almost perfect game.

My problem with 2 was the length; it was wayyy to short. And no matter how good a game is, there's only many times you play through it before it becomes boring.

• FilthyEsquire and Payne Killer like this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Dat's true. Perfect song for an almost perfect game.

My problem with 2 was the length; it was wayyy to short. And no matter how good a game is, there's only many times you play through it before it becomes boring.
Eh, true. I loved Luigi's Mansion, but it was only 6 hours long, give or take. But my god, I loved that game.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

" So I guess I'd become what they wanted me to be, a killer. Some rent-a-clown with a gun who puts holes in other bad guys. Well that's what they had paid for, so in the end that's what they got. Say what you want about Americans but we understand capitalism. You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for, and these chumps had paid for some angry gringo without the sensibilities to know right from wrong. Here I was about to execute this poor bastard like some dime store angel of death and I realized they were correct, I wouldn't know right from wrong if one of them was helping the poor and the other was banging my sister..."
  • Th3MaN1 and Onett like this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

" So I guess I'd become what they wanted me to be, a killer. Some rent-a-clown with a gun who puts holes in other bad guys. Well that's what they had paid for, so in the end that's what they got. Say what you want about Americans but we understand capitalism. You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for, and these chumps had paid for some angry gringo without the sensibilities to know right from wrong. Here I was about to execute this poor bastard like some dime store angel of death and I realized they were correct, I wouldn't know right from wrong if one of them was helping the poor and the other was banging my sister..."

Which game's that from?

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Max Payne 3.

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Max Payne 3.

Holy f*ck, that was heavy.

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

sh*t, I love Max Payne.

I even start thinking in metaphors like him lately, mostly when I get depressed, and with James Mcaffrey's voice too, his voice echoes in my head, it's badass.

• Th3MaN1 and Payne Killer like this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:33 PM Edited by Onett, 01 September 2014 - 03:37 PM.

sh*t, I love Max Payne.

I even start thinking in metaphors like him lately, mostly when I get depressed, and with James Mcaffrey's voice too, his voice echoes in my head, it's badass.

That sounds awesome :) Also, who dosen't like seeing an NYPD cop getting beat up, both mentally and physically?

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

sh*t, I love Max Payne.

That sounds awesome :) Also, who dosen't like seeing an NYPD cop getting beat up, both mentally and physically?

I know right, It's kinda weird to be thinking like that for a guy like me in this kind of age but I don't mind since Max's a badass, If you wanna see what I'm talking about I once kinda expressed some feelings here about something that happened to my crush here: http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1066083595

Today at school the guy visited my class, where the girl I like and I myself was in, and when I came in and saw them, they were kinda hugging and sh*t and when school's done they went home together and stuff. I became depressed and heartbroken and wasn't able to concentrate on the next lesson (mathematics). And the girl wouldn't let anyone do that (hug, accompanied home and stuff) A few months back I felt special to her, I wasn't able to differentiate between if she actually liked me or that she treated and acted like that to everyone, now I feel dumb, a long time for chasing her is now gone to waste, just like my other precious time, f*ck I even tried going against my parent's choice of school for her, and now it's just a f*cking waste, I did it again. I've been chasing her since 8-9th grade and something just told me I felt special, now I'm in 10th grade in another school, with her, in the same f*cking class, I was actually dumb enough to think that it's some f*cking sign, it wasn't, just something that wanted to build me up and then just brake me to pieces again.

And now I'm here, sitting in front of my computer screen, and soon to be in my bed, figuring out and being lost on what to do with the rest of my life, heck this isn't even my PC, and it has a good rig, something I'll never get.

I guess I'll just end the my day the same way I ended it If I get a relationship problem, with me laying in my bed, curling up in my dark and cold room as my heart slowly breaks and as tears come out of my eye, hoping that there won't be a tomorrow for me, Did I deserve this? Did I do something wrong in the past life? I really hate my life...

Oh my god, what did I just wrote... This is what happens if you play too much Max Payne, but still.. I can relate and I'm starting to like thinking in metaphors just like Max, and I think I give up with faith and all the religious sh*t, oh god, if you're so f*cking benevolent and all powerful, why do you treat us with such contempt?

So my lesson? Maybe you should stop trying to get her with getting through all that trouble, In the end she'll just leave you for another guy or she'll just think you're just somebody (a friend or some sh*t) Those stories where the hero does everything and gets the girl in the end are just bullsh*t, it doesn't end that way, only to special people.. And Me? I'm nobody special, I'm just a f*cking loser with no idea how I ended up in this world, maybe I'm just a f*cking mistake? Who knows, and who cares anyway?

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

sh*t, I love Max Payne.

I know right, It's kinda weird to be thinking like that for a guy like me in this kind of age but I don't mind since Max's a badass, If you wanna see what I'm talking about I once kinda expressed some feelings here about something that happened to my crush here: http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1066083595

Today at school the guy visited my class, where the girl I like and I myself was in, and when I came in and saw them, they were kinda hugging and sh*t and when school's done they went home together and stuff. I became depressed and heartbroken and wasn't able to concentrate on the next lesson (mathematics). And the girl wouldn't let anyone do that (hug, accompanied home and stuff) A few months back I felt special to her, I wasn't able to differentiate between if she actually liked me or that she treated and acted like that to everyone, now I feel dumb, a long time for chasing her is now gone to waste, just like my other precious time, f*ck I even tried going against my parent's choice of school for her, and now it's just a f*cking waste, I did it again. I've been chasing her since 8-9th grade and something just told me I felt special, now I'm in 10th grade in another school, with her, in the same f*cking class, I was actually dumb enough to think that it's some f*cking sign, it wasn't, just something that wanted to build me up and then just brake me to pieces again.[/size]

And now I'm here, sitting in front of my computer screen, and soon to be in my bed, figuring out and being lost on what to do with the rest of my life, heck this isn't even my PC, and it has a good rig, something I'll never get.

I guess I'll just end the my day the same way I ended it If I get a relationship problem, with me laying in my bed, curling up in my dark and cold room as my heart slowly breaks and as tears come out of my eye, hoping that there won't be a tomorrow for me, Did I deserve this? Did I do something wrong in the past life? I really hate my life...

Oh my god, what did I just wrote... This is what happens if you play too much Max Payne, but still.. I can relate and I'm starting to like thinking in metaphors just like Max, and I think I give up with faith and all the religious sh*t, oh god, if you're so f*cking benevolent and all powerful, why do you treat us with such contempt?

So my lesson? Maybe you should stop trying to get her with getting through all that trouble, In the end she'll just leave you for another guy or she'll just think you're just somebody (a friend or some sh*t) Those stories where the hero does everything and gets the girl in the end are just bullsh*t, it doesn't end that way, only to special people.. And Me? I'm nobody special, I'm just a f*cking loser with no idea how I ended up in this world, maybe I'm just a f*cking mistake? Who knows, and who cares anyway?

Damn, that was heavy. But there were a few metaphors in there, more than the times when I had a girlfriend.

sh*t, I love Max Payne.

Today at school the guy visited my class, where the girl I like and I myself was in, and when I came in and saw them, they were kinda hugging and sh*t and when school's done they went home together and stuff. I became depressed and heartbroken and wasn't able to concentrate on the next lesson (mathematics). And the girl wouldn't let anyone do that (hug, accompanied home and stuff) A few months back I felt special to her, I wasn't able to differentiate between if she actually liked me or that she treated and acted like that to everyone, now I feel dumb, a long time for chasing her is now gone to waste, just like my other precious time, f*ck I even tried going against my parent's choice of school for her, and now it's just a f*cking waste, I did it again. I've been chasing her since 8-9th grade and something just told me I felt special, now I'm in 10th grade in another school, with her, in the same f*cking class, I was actually dumb enough to think that it's some f*cking sign, it wasn't, just something that wanted to build me up and then just brake me to pieces again.[/size]

Damn, that was heavy. But that did have a few metaphors, more than the times I've been in love.

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

I'm just about to jack off to this topic.

But in all seriousness, all three games, in my opinion, are immaculate. I honestly can't find anything wrong with them.

Sure, Max Payne 3 doesn't have the comic-book cutscenes, the setting is different, and Max isn't the same Max. But like DarthShinobi said, the change did the game good. I would kinda get bored of the dark NY alleys, through Chapter IV and XIII were among my favorites. f*ck, I don't even know if there is a chapter I hate.

The soundtrack, holy shiet. Have +20 min tracks of the UFE station, the Panama Canal, the Tiete River, the Galatians Stadium, and the cemetery. The cemetery, holy f*ckkkkk

The story was also really good as well (IMO). Maybe it was a little broken plot-wise, but like the other two games, it was dark (especially at the end), and R* surely knew about the back-stabbing deal that went on with 2, because it's there in 3.

If this game would make the PS4 and Xbox One, graphics-wise it would blow ANYTHING out of the water. On PC it looks breath-taking, even if there are a few things in there which don't make sense (why do shells and other debris like paper disappear just like that?)

The only bad things I can say are:

-The Last Stand bullsh*t (I just don't like it, but there's Old School :) )
-There are weapons you just cannot use enough in Singleplayer. I was disappointed by the lack of Desert Eagle (you can use it only 4 times in the game, and one of those moments is an on-rails bullet time event), and there weren't many opportunities to use machine guns, which were brutal, in sound, in looks, and in performance.

Old school mode all the way.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

But in all seriousness, all three games, in my opinion, are immaculate. I honestly can't find anything wrong with them.

Sure, Max Payne 3 doesn't have the comic-book cutscenes, the setting is different, and Max isn't the same Max. But like DarthShinobi said, the change did the game good. I would kinda get bored of the dark NY alleys, through Chapter IV and XIII were among my favorites. f*ck, I don't even know if there is a chapter I hate.

The soundtrack, holy shiet. Have +20 min tracks of the UFE station, the Panama Canal, the Tiete River, the Galatians Stadium, and the cemetery. The cemetery, holy f*ckkkkk

The story was also really good as well (IMO). Maybe it was a little broken plot-wise, but like the other two games, it was dark (especially at the end), and R* surely knew about the back-stabbing deal that went on with 2, because it's there in 3.

If this game would make the PS4 and Xbox One, graphics-wise it would blow ANYTHING out of the water. On PC it looks breath-taking, even if there are a few things in there which don't make sense (why do shells and other debris like paper disappear just like that?)

-There are weapons you just cannot use enough in Singleplayer. I was disappointed by the lack of Desert Eagle (you can use it only 4 times in the game, and one of those moments is an on-rails bullet time event), and there weren't many opportunities to use machine guns, which were brutal, in sound, in looks, and in performance.

What's the difference?

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

What's the difference?
Old school mode disables the cover system, if you use the cover system in Max Payne, your playing it wrong. No last stand either.

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

*Drinks painkillers*

Breakfast of champions.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

*Drinks painkillers*
Breakfast of champions.

It is. Just ignore all those bullets in your body.

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

http://maxpayne.wiki..._Payne_3_comics

Just found comics for Max Payne 3. I need to read them.
  • Onett likes this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

http://maxpayne.wiki..._Payne_3_comics
Just found comics for Max Payne 3. I need to read them.

Sweet.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Tears by Health in the airport was great.
Gotta also love the classic quotes Max makes throughout the game; And there it was, the soundtrack of my life.

Gotta love Dick Justice though: "Tonight it seemed like all the angels in heaven decided to take a piss, because when you're in a situation like mine, you can only think in metaphors."
That quote is going to be my new sig.

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Tears by Health in the airport was great.
Gotta also love the classic quotes Max makes throughout the game; And there it was, the soundtrack of my life.

Gotta love Dick Justice though: "Tonight it seemed like all the angels in heaven decided to take a piss, because when you're in a situation like mine, you can only think in metaphors."
That quote is going to be my new sig.
Seriously? Man, that's cool. Think I paraphrased a bit though.

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

(Playing piano) There it was the soundtrack to my life, and for a few seconds, came harmony, finally.-Max Payne
  • TheOneLibertonian and Onett like this

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

(Playing piano) There it was the soundtrack to my life, and for a few seconds, came harmony, finally.-Max Payne

I read that all in James McAffrey's voice.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:17 PM Edited by Th3MaN1, 01 September 2014 - 05:20 PM.

Ignore thissssss

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I can't wait for my birthday, then I'll get Max Payne 3.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:19 PM Edited by Th3MaN1, 01 September 2014 - 05:21 PM.

I cannot wait for tomorrow, it can't come soon enough. I'll get my new PC and first thing I'll play is Max Payne 3. I've played before, but not on MY PC, the way I want to play.

^I feel bad for doing this, but I'll have to dowload the game the 'non-legit' way. I've searched heaven and hell for the game in stores, but nothing. Only Ghosts, Starcraft II and Far Cry 3, among other ones.

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:20 PM Edited by Onett, 01 September 2014 - 05:28 PM.

Have you tried Steam?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

No, but at this point, f*ck it, to be honest. I'm anxious enough to play it again, and I'm not in the mood to buy it from Steam.

I will buy it one day though.

At least I watched enough walkthroughs to know what to do and where. Kinda bummed that I've already spoiled the entire game for myself, but I'm 2 years late, so yeah.

Also, it's different when you play it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users