Photo

Killing Darko. Canon or not.

17 replies to this topic
American Viking
  • American Viking

WKTT caller

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:59 AM Edited by American Alpha, 16 April 2015 - 01:35 PM.

I honestly don't know the answer to this one. My best assumption is that it is not canon to kill Darko, and in fact Niko would allow him to live out his final days in the sandpit of despair he's created for himself. I'm conflicted on this one though because killing Darko completely fits Niko's personality too, even if he claims to feel empty inside afterwards. I always kill Darko by the way just for the satisfaction I gain. What do you think? 

• Chad Warden likes this

Chad Warden
  • Chad Warden

goes by many different names

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:00 AM

Killing/not killing Darko lead Niko to the same mental conclusion: Revenge is not the answer.

• The7thOne and Uncle Vlad like this

Thelema93
  • Thelema93

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:44 AM

I reackon it's canon to spare darko because of what niko says to roman during the drive
" I realised that nothing would change if I killed him he would just be dead like everybody else from the village" and the phonecall to bernie afterwards is better to
But if he kills darko he admits that he still feels empty and that he had hoped that killing darko would fill him a bit and give him some substance but it didn't.
It's also a better way to end niko and darkos story because niko realises he isn't that much different from darko because he to kills for money. And niko of all people knows that living can be harder than death sometimes. It would be greater punishment to let darko live with what he's done rather than put him out of his misery.
  • Chad Warden, AuSsIeThUnDeR36, Pastry and 1 other like this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

I usually just punch Darko once in the face as a final reminder, then walk away, allowing Darko to live out the rest of his days in misery. Also Niko feels horrible if he does kill Darko. I think it's better to walk away instead of killing Darko. Like Roman says, he knows what he had done, no need for further punishment.
  • Jeansowaty likes this

Pastry
  • Pastry

you know i had to ring-a-ding do it to em

• Members
  • Estonia
  • Best Crew 2017 [Spanish Kings]

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

What Thelema said. It sure seems more Niko like and dramatic.

KogerOnControls
  • KogerOnControls

Uneducated guess

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

I just kick him in the face :D In one of my playthroughs it actually killed him...Must've hit the head.

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:54 PM

I always killed him. He deserved it.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

I feel that leaving Darko tormented with him living, is revenge enough for Niko.

Kane49
  • Kane49

You can pick the game, but you can't change the rules.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Kane49, 2 weeks ago.

I guess killing him is canon, because of Niko's anger during the cutscene, and because of Niko's line "You killed my friends for one thousand dollars". Not to mention that Niko was looking for Darko through the whole storyline, so it was more important than killing Dimitri or setting a deal with the latter for him.

Anyway, as much as how great the execution is, sparing him seems to make Niko feels better and makes Roman and Florian proud of him, not to mention that Darko said "Kill me then. You'll be doing me a favor.", and then he thanks Niko if he kills him, which would be kind of disappointment for Niko.

Kinda out of topic: Some would say that Niko's decision sets his decision in One Last Thing too, but that's nonsense at all. Either killing Darko or let him alive will keep him totally f*cked up and useless, and sparing him is nothing risk, which is otherwise compared to Rascalov. Doing the deal with Dimitri is a stupid idea, because Bellic has always known that Dimitri is a backstabber and would backstab him whenever he gets the chance to, especially that Rascalov has told him several times that he went to look for the places where Niko went to in some parts of the storyline but was disappointed for not seeing his corpse. So, what if he didn't do the deal and neither killed him? That'll keep Dimitri tries to get Bellic murdered, and maybe even harder, and also Pegorino would send some goons to whack Niko, or try that himself. That's why Bellic would never trust Rascalov again.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I feel like what a lot of people are talking about here with Niko's conversation after the sparing or execution is hindsight. Like what Kane said, in the cutscene he is prepared to kill him.

I do think that the Darko choice though should influence Nino's Deal or Revenge choice. I mean come on, if you've killed Darko - Niko finds revenge unsatisfying. And I'm the cutscene at the club, Niko agrees to doing the deal. It's not until Roman had somehow found out where Darko is, and tells Niko. Niko never really was out looking for Dimitri. Like someone else said the whole story he's looking for Darko. The story is pretty much over until Pegorino comes to Niko with this last job.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

"How much do you charge to kill someone?"

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think killing Darko is cannon. because you have to go through all the missions just for this. Plus you can kill him any way you like -  beat him to death. shoot him, or stab him. 

• cp1dell likes this

HigorSM
  • HigorSM

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

none of the choices in the game are canon, the entire point of these choices is to make the players develop the story in the way they prefer, having a right/canon choice would make them completely pointless.

• Black Mantis, universetwisters and Kane49 like this

Pottatto
  • Pottatto

Crackhead

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

I killed Darko on my first playthrough. After doing all the work and errands to find Darko to finally find him and not kill him, I just didn't think of sparing him.
  • Kane49 likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

none of the choices in the game are canon, the entire point of these choices is to make the players develop the story in the way they prefer, having a right/canon choice would make them completely pointless.

Thanks for explaining that for us. Usually when people make threads like these, they're not really asking what is "canon," but what they think the character Niko would have chosen based on how Rockstar developed him.
  • Black Mantis, Jeansowaty, HigorSM and 1 other like this

Black Mantis
  • Black Mantis

TH3 Don

• Members
  • Syria

Posted A week ago

THIS! Very good point and simple!

Penguin Bob
  • Penguin Bob

Let's go bowling.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago Edited by Penguin Bob, 3 days ago.

To be honest, i think not killing Darko Brevic is the canon choice. Even if you kill Darko, Niko still won't be happy. If you killed Darko, you would have been doing him a favor. It seemed like that he wanted to die. If i'm not mistaken, Niko was trying to celebrate when you spared Darko. In the car, he said to Roman, "Open up the f*cking champagne." Also, some people were proud of him of sparing him. (And i know you said there's no canon choice but whatever)

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

Every time someone's reasoning is "Oh Niko is happier if you choose this," makes it sound like you're trying to pick the "game's "right/winning" choice," as opposed to what the character Niko would do. So many of these explanations are based off of hindsight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users