Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:03 AM

This reminds me, would it be unproblematic to drive a car on European plates (and registered in Europe) in North America?  I mean, it seems to be little issue driving a car on North American plates in Europe.

Not on the back. Most, if not all, American states require licence plates on the rear of the vehicle but not on the front. 

I don't think you understood my question.  I am asking whether I could drive a car registered in Europe in North America.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:31 AM Edited by TheMcSame, 07 February 2015 - 11:32 AM.

This reminds me, would it be unproblematic to drive a car on European plates (and registered in Europe) in North America?  I mean, it seems to be little issue driving a car on North American plates in Europe.

Not on the back. Most, if not all, American states require licence plates on the rear of the vehicle but not on the front. 

I don't think you understood my question.  I am asking whether I could drive a car registered in Europe in North America.

As long as it meets the state laws then yes. The only problem you might face in some states is the emission laws, I don't think EU regulations are as strict as states like California when it comes to emissions.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

As long as it meets the state laws then yes. The only problem you might face in some states is the emission laws, I don't think EU regulations are as strict as states like California when it comes to emissions.

Are there exemptions for older cars?  I mean, I've seen classic European cars imported to the US.  And I doubt they've made any modification to fit regulations.  Because I will admit, I have thought about driving my DS around North America.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

Are there exemptions for older cars?  I mean, I've seen classic European cars imported to the US.  And I doubt they've made any modification to fit regulations.  Because I will admit, I have thought about driving my DS around North America.

I assume there would be some exceptions but it likely varies by state.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

Just spotted a car from Gomel, Belarus in my neighborhood (3.220 km // 2000mi)

0b7d0f99dcd7be010adc87c7fd36e0fao.jpg

9714a9855fb212f610f774f7d13c0d97o.jpg

• epoxi and xolov like this

ArcadeWilliamz
  • ArcadeWilliamz

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:11 AM Edited by Willstig998, 20 February 2015 - 10:11 AM.

I've once spotted an new Range Rover driving around with UK plates on it but it's very unusual to find cars driving around in Australia with foreign plates.
  • Ezza. likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

I've once spotted an new Range Rover driving around with UK plates on it but it's very unusual to find cars driving around in Australia with foreign plates.

UK plates are common in places that did belong or still belong to the United Kingdom. I even found out that shipping a car from England to Hong Kong and doing the registration is quite easy and fast.

Ezza.
  • Ezza.

It's a Massacromance

• Members
  • Australia
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

Are you sure it just wasn't one of those fancy Queensland Plates that you can get? They seem pretty common on Range Rovers and Mercs. Like this:

PuZxLDI.png

OT: One of my old mates has a Chevy 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer SIlverado with California plates, which is quite rare over here.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

Man, that Queensland plate is not much a glyph away from saying 'OLD'.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

I have seen WA plates here in NSW.

ArcadeWilliamz
  • ArcadeWilliamz

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

Are you sure it just wasn't one of those fancy Queensland Plates that you can get? They seem pretty common on Range Rovers and Mercs. Like this:
PuZxLDI.png

OT: One of my old mates has a Chevy 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer SIlverado with California plates, which is quite rare over here.

Nah the rear plate was yellow & said GB on it I could tell it was from there. In case your wondering

On Topic: In my city (Cairns) I see plenty of Victorians, Western Australians, South Australians & Territorians get around because they moved here.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Years ago my family and I took a cruise that stopped at a few Carebbean island (Bahamas, US Virgin Islands and Saint Martin).

When we arrived at Sant Martin we decided to go on a tour from the Island. The funny part is that the Island is divided into Two. You might remember this island for it's famous airport: Google "Princess Juliana Airport"

Saint_martin_map.PNG

While the Dutch side is a Constituent country the Northern French side is part of France. Funny thing is that calling to Paris from the North Side(French) is not considered an International call while calling the Dutch Neighbors it is :lol:

Anyways, so when the cruise arrived at this island, it docked at the Dutch side and we hired a tour the cruise staff offered us to visit both parts of the islands. When the tour guide arrived he gave us Dutch Side car plates for free (One per family) And in the northern side i found a flea market and my girlfriend who speaks a little French help me out to buy a French side licence plate por 12€ (Euros are used in the northern side of the islands instead of US Dollars like the south side)

So here are both the plates i brought from my journey:

Dutch Side:

553357_10152591781312811_815505087538807

FRENCH SIDE

11025769_10152591781232811_6753773118881

xolov
  • xolov

Trick

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

I just saw a BMW M6 registered in Leningrad Oblast, Russia in Pimlico, London, UK

jatiger13
  • jatiger13

Factually correct

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:37 PM Edited by jatiger13, 29 March 2015 - 08:50 PM.

Nvm

Maxxi
  • Maxxi

Guardian of the Light

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:01 AM

Classic cars are usually exempt if they are older than 25 years old. Import laws require the car to be fitted to regulations unless it is 25 years old or older.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

I used to see a black Lexus LX (2007ish) with California plates running around Stockholm but I never see it anymore. Otherwise common plates are from old Soviet countries and Romania with all the gypsies around here.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

I was driving back home after watching tonight's football game at a friends house when i saw a brand new VW Golf GTI with Gibraltar plates on it.

R000.jpg

I know it's not distant however they are extremely rare to spot unless you go to Gibraltar or town that are close. I have only seen two Gibraltar plates in my life and the first one was when i was 10 years old.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

I see plenty Gibraltar plates in France.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

I see plenty Gibraltar plates in France.

Are you sure they are from Gibraltar and not Jersey or Guernsey?

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

Recently saw a Hyundai Tucson with Arizona plates driving around Los Gatos, CA. Not a distant plate by any great measure, but it gave me a chuckle.

DMC14
  • DMC14

Tiger Force 1

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:46 AM

PuZxLDI.png

Nah the rear plate was yellow & said GB on it I could tell it was from there. In case your wondering

On Topic: In my city (Cairns) I see plenty of Victorians, Western Australians, South Australians & Territorians get around because they moved here.

not to mention all the people that would drive up there on holidays.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

I saw a very rare plate today. Couldn't take a picture so angry about it.

I was heading back home after picking up a friend from the airport when a Mercedes S Class just like this one:

Spoiler

Overtook me and when i looked at the back he had Transnistria plates on it! Rare as f*ck. I get to see a lot of plates from Romania and a few from Moldova but Transnistria is very rare. Never seen a plate in my life.

Information on Transnistria (Non-recognized Communistt State)

Still i mean, How can a car with a licence plate from a country that's is not recognized by anyone has gone so far from home without the cops pulling him over?

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

St. Petersburg  - Sitges, Spain

3.599 km (2236mi)

Big trip :panic:

10153639_10152812999292811_8870088009056

• epoxi likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:34 PM Edited by LeopardGecko, 21 June 2015 - 09:35 PM.

I often see people driving cars with German plates here in Croatia,even in areas away from the coast which don´t usually have a lot of tourists (like my city).I remember once seeing a car with American plates in Croatia,I think it was from Illinois,but I´m not sure,it was around 7-8 years ago.

xolov
  • xolov

Trick

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Saw a Toyota Tacoma from Michigan some days ago

xolov
  • xolov

Trick

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

Spain

3dVKqNi.jpg

Lithuania

magH6MN.jpg

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

Spain

I Wouldn't be happy at all if my car had those three letters on the License plate.

DGT: https://en.wikipedia...eral_of_Traffic

They are responsible for Speed Cameras, and making laws and sanctions...

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Facade
  • Bhutan

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

I saw a car with Alaska plates. At first I thought it was one of those annoying 'Don't Tread On Me' plates but when I got closer, I could see it was from AK. So the driving distance would be about 4,300 miles.

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Couldn't get a pic, but the other day I saw a car with a caravan coming from Sweden. It's at least 1636Km from where I live to Malmo, which is on the bottom of Sweden.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Saw an Audi Q7 with Latvian Plates
According to google maps 3089km

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users