Life is Strange

369 replies to this topic
Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Question for those more into the US education system: is the Blackwell Academy a college or an high school? I always thought it was a college since it was focused on just certain areas, characters' ages are inside the average someone around here enters college and I've always thought the dormitory thing was more like something of universities in the US.

I was quite surprised when I've read articles stating it was an high school so... Can anyone point me out the differences and how it works?

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:14 PM Edited by The7thOne, 18 June 2017 - 12:22 PM.

Question for those more into the US education system: is the Blackwell Academy a college or an high school? I always thought it was a college since it was focused on just certain areas, characters' ages are inside the average someone around here enters college and I've always thought the dormitory thing was more like something of universities in the US.

I was quite surprised when I've read articles stating it was an high school so... Can anyone point me out the differences and how it works?

It is quite unclear. High schools in the US don't usually incorporate dormitories on the premises, that is usually only seen in universities (college). Community colleges also don't incorporate dormitories. It also doesn't make sense for some of the characters to be "transfers" because it is an art school, again further displacing Blackwell's position. If you watched the Directors' Commentary, this is expanded upon briefly. The developers stated they wanted to make an art school instead because it would have fewer students and thus a better opportunity to focus on other characters. For it to be a university most (if not all) characters would be much older.

There are a few schools in reality that may do this but it's highly unusual. For a small coastal town with a small population an art school that also acts as a high school may not entirely be far-fetched - perhaps it's the only secondary-level education in the county or area, because we're never shown any other educational facilities in AB - so the people in the area would be forced to attend Blackwell if that was the case. This is partially true in reality - in Garibaldi, Oregon (one of the towns used as influence) there is only an elementary school in the town - so anyone needing to enter secondary-level education would have to commute to Tillamook or Neah-Kah-Nie (Rockaway Beach) high schools. It doesn't entirely explain the situation because neither of them are art schools, but may give some insight.

• 2281 and Shaytan like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

🦋 This action will have consequences...

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

So, I should probably write something here already since I finished the game Monday night...

Normally, I dislike these kind of episodic choice-driven games. Mostly because, from what I've seen, they only give you the illusion of choice, you know, you make a decision and later on it turns out meaningless because the game and the devs want to have it their own way. And once the story is over, there's literally no reason for you to play the game again unless you really love it, wish to see the different outcomes, explore, or speedrun the game or do whatever else is there that would actually make the game worth replaying in your eyes. Those aren't the kind of games I'd want to spend my money on. I had the first episode ever since it went free, but I didn't play it. Then, I've been hearing a lot of good things last December and even saw a bit of gameplay before deciding I don't want to get spoiled entirely. I've decided to take the risk and buy the rest of the episodes on Steam during Christmas. Never got to play them until now, though, due to the lack of time and me wanting to finish other games, despite being one of the games I prioritized to play through.

I was very impressed with the game once I started playing it. I've spent most of the time exploring the areas, trying to talk to everyone, look at every object to hear Max's opinion, and read every diary entry and text message. Episode 1 took me around 4 hours to complete for that reason. Fun game, and I really like the use of the Rewind mechanic to solve puzzles, gain advantage, or simply fix the things I've messed up. Episode 2 is when it started to get real. Decisions started getting tougher to make to the point I even had to spend a few minutes deciding whether I really want to go down that specific path. Some decisions made me feel bad, especially after the game said that I could have actually saved Kate had I not messed up (speaking of, if she would get saved, would they do a Telltale and kill her off anyway, or would she run away like that one ticket in her locker implies or what?) or after listening to Nathan's voicemail after I let Warren beat the crap out of him. Also felt bad for David once I got to learn more about him. He may have been an asshole at the start, but he does genuinely care about his family and the students' safety. Sided with him most of the time because I felt like it was the right thing to do. After all, he eventually saves Max from that effin' creep. The characters are very relatable, especially Max, tbh. There were also (obviously) a lot of feels throughout the story, even the credits of Episode 4 tease us about it. Not many games, if any at all, managed that for me so yeah, it was powerful.

Spoiler

Ever since I became a fan of GTA series many years ago, there has not been a single game other than GTA that has reached this high on my favorites list up until now. So that kinda says how I feel about this game. It was genuinely so relaxing to play through a game without being forced to use weapons (Junkyard encounter aside, I chose "don't shoot" anyway) or kill anyone yet still be intended for mature audiences and still feature those kind of moral dilemmas the game throws at you (pretty sure there are more games like that but this is the only one I know of). My only problem with the game is what a lot of people are complaining about; the lip syncing. Could be improved a bit. Then at one point in Episode 5, Max stopped opening her mouth entirely which kinda broke the immersion and seriousness of the scene. Since the game is free on PS+ right now (anyone considering - now's the chance), second playthrough is imminent. And maybe even more after that.

tl;dr: Love this game.

*Apologies for using the black text on black background to cover spoilers (highlight text to see what's written), but that's the best I can do without having to use the bulky spoiler tags in every second word.
  • Luna Lovegood, ClaudeSpeed1911, 2281 and 4 others like this

Margaret-
  • Margaret-

Fidget Killer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

I cannot sing this game's praises enough tbh and since the hype for Before The Storm has hit me I've deiced to give it another playthrough.

Spoiler

• ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

Had heard all the hype about this game in the past but hadn't played it, then noticed the whole season was free on PS+ this month, and damn I wish I had realised sooner!

After I stayed up all night last night and finished the final episode, I read some of the consequences of previous episodes and I think I had relatively "good" outcomes thank goodness, but overall it's still messed me up emotionally, it's been playing on my mind since I woke up. I was stuck on the final decision screen for 5-10 minutes and I just couldn't handle it so had to look up what happened, I feel I made the right choice personally having watched the other ending on YouTube afterwards.

Spoiler

Time to save all the music from the soundtrack. 

• Mister Pink, Algonquin Assassin, Luna Lovegood and 6 others like this

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

I knew absolutely nothing about this game until a couple of weeks ago; my awesome friend from the forum, V4S, told me about it and said that it were available as a free download from Playstation Plus.  I figured that I would give it a try and I must say that I'm glad I did!  I just finished it last night and it more than exceeded my expectations.  The story as a whole seems very simple on paper, but the game itself is quite deep and the material will definitely stick with you.  It isn't just a casual game; it definitely makes you think deeply about the choices you have and just how what may seem like a great idea on the surface could easily lead to a much worse or even catastrophic scenario in the near future.  I also think they did an extraordinary job with the character development and you really start to develop feelings of concern, anger, and a wide variety of emotions towards each individual one as you make your way through the game.  There are many surprises and even a nice amount of dark humour--I can't wait to go back through it again and try to pick up on things I missed during my initial campaign.  Of course, I also want to make different choices when I play again and see just how each decision influences future events as the story progresses.

The prequel is supposed to be released at the end of August; I can't wait! :)

• V4S, Algonquin Assassin, GTAKid667 and 3 others like this

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

Still like 6 weeks for Before the storm launch.

• Kirsty likes this

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

Spoiler

As sad as this ending is, it's the entire reason I came to adore this game so much. Those feels man.

• Kirsty likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:21 AM Edited by HaythamKenway, 17 July 2017 - 08:51 AM.

I wrapped the game up yesterday. Apart from a few minor missteps, it is a brilliant game all the way to the Episode 5. One of the most atmospheric, emotionally engaging, charming, lyrical, inventive, thought-provoking games in my recent memory. It wasn't pandering to the player, but it wasn't showy or blunt about it either. The writing was responsible and confident, without being preachy or pretentious. A creative use of stereotypes and grounding expectations only to intelligently develop them. All of the characters, all the way to Max and Chloe, have depth, texture and nuance. Max, especially, is a character I fell in love with, as she grew way beyond being an avatar and an audience surrogate (while the writing still cleverly played with that role and archetype).

The rewing mechanic is something I was originally reserved about and thought it was distracting from the character drama at the core of the story, but I grew to like it a lot as, up to Ep5, it was used as time travel should be: not as a gimmick, but to strenghten and develop the game's characters and themes while also working as a fantastic implementation of gameplay-story integration, directly acknowledging and taking advantage of habits the players usually employ to break the systems of these games.

If there is one major complaint I have, it's the scattershot delivery of the story. There is not much of a real flow to the narrative, the plot is unfocused and meandering. Which doesn't really matter, as the game wonderfully builds its characters, setting and themes - which then cripples the final episode which decides to hinge the climax on the game's underdeveloped supernatural plot and poorly thought-out and yet still unresolved and unexplained mechanics behind Max's time manipulation, while delivering an ending that feels rushed, obtrusive and borderline contradictory to the game's themes, thesis and character development.

Still, all the game delivered up to that point easily makes the experience a strong net positive and even 5 had a few interesting ideas and moments, particulary for Max. It's just a shame that after all the heart-wrenching moments and accomplished writing, the game had to take such a dive right at the very end. I have to wonder what the hell just happened. From the outside, with no research, it looks like a combination of deadlines and "making sh*t up as we go along" collapsing on top of the writers, but I'd expect they'd have at least the latter figured out. This game wasn't really a franchise or a TV show going for years.

• Algonquin Assassin, DOOM!, Kirsty and 4 others like this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

Max, especially, is a character I fell in love with, as she grew way beyond being an avatar and an audience surrogate (while the writing still cleverly played with that role and archetype).

I think Max is one of the most heroic characters I've ever played as, to be honest. She somehow manages to be completely adorable and stone-cold badass at the same time.

• Kirsty, HaythamKenway, Wu-Tang Forever and 1 other like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:56 AM Edited by HaythamKenway, 17 July 2017 - 11:02 AM.

Max, especially, is a character I fell in love with, as she grew way beyond being an avatar and an audience surrogate (while the writing still cleverly played with that role and archetype).

I think Max is one of the most heroic characters I've ever played as, to be honest. She somehow manages to be completely adorable and stone-cold badass at the same time.

She was definitely the best part of the game for me. Wonderfully characterized, relatable without being an empty shell, funny and charismatic without being obnoxiously blatant (which might be surprising given the notoriery this game has for its dialogue). It was fascinating and awful at the same time, watching her being put through this wringer, simultaneously being broken down and growing as a result of it. I loved how the game deconstructs her (and by extension, the audience's) desire to do good, creating a cascade of consequences that put her resolve and motivations to the test. It was a great examination of a heroism, desire to improve the world around you, where it comes from, whether it's real or just selfishness wearing a noble cloak and whether an outside observer can really judge that, as good intentions and compassion can take many forms and be at the root of unexpected, contraproductive, destructive actions, seemingly opposing to the traditional idea of "good".

It was a hero's journey that taxed its hero way more than we usually see and dug to the very core of what makes hero what it is. So, that was pretty great. If you excuse a little Star Wars segue, because I think it illustrates the character very well, I see Max's arc as very similar to Anakin's in the prequels, but coming to a radically different conclusion about who these characters actually are, with both characters emerging from similar trials being presented in a very different light.

• Algonquin Assassin, Kirsty, Wu-Tang Forever and 1 other like this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

Despite the complaints I've read about the endings, honestly I've never felt so connected to a game and set of characters. I can't wait for Before the Storm now. Yes I guess it's a cash grab, but I just want to go back to Arcadia Bay! I pre-ordered the deluxe edition because it comes with a "Farewell" episode with Max. I really hope it does the characters justice, I'm so excited for it but I know it's going to be a feelsfest.

wonderful prose

Bae or bay though?
  • Algonquin Assassin, DOOM!, HaythamKenway and 1 other like this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

Bae or bay though?

I picked bay. Not because I seriously wanted to (I loved Chloe too much, and still do), but because it was the only ending that felt complete and more or less tied the story together (not necessarily in a positive way, but you have to work with what you got).

• Luna Lovegood and HaythamKenway like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Since I'm not popular, I'll post on a video game forum

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:47 AM

Excellent posts Haytham! I agree completely. Right down to, unfortunately, the ending troubles. I knew it was gonna be wonky going in, so it didn't bother me quite so much, but it's still pretty disappointing after the rest of it was so excellent. Really, I notice this problem with a lot of games with multiple endings - GTA V and Mass Effect 3 (even if I've never played that one) being pretty bad offenders - and it's a shame that LiS fell victim to it as well. But overall, this is still easily a 5 star game in my book. The rest of the story more than made up for the lackluster ending for me.

And me, I've mentioned this before, but I picked bae. The other ending is just as valid and does seem a little more complete, but

Spoiler

And for all my Chloe fandom, Max is just such a wonderful character I absolutely love. Between Max and Chloe, Max was the perfect choice to be the main protagonist in this game. In fact, now I'm kind of wondering how Before the Storm will do without the Max factor. As much as I love Chloe, Max is just a perfect audience surrogate who's easy to relate to and instantly likable, whereas Chloe can be a bit of a tougher sell. She's like that friend or family member you love to death, but can be a bit trying and test your patience at times. Honestly, if both characters were real, I'd probably rather be friends with Max.

• HaythamKenway likes this

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:50 AM

Rachel is gonna be there in the new game with Chloe and I think that's cool.

Wonder what's the bonus scene in Deluxe Edition where you will be playing as Max.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:05 AM

(...) 

Bae or bay though?

Thanks for the compliments, you and Wu-Tang both!

Bae, in a heartbeat, without a shadow of a doubt. I think that Bae culminates Max and Chloe's character arcs and supports the game's themes so much better than the alternative.

Chloe is all about abandonment. She feels unwanted, unloved, dismissed and pushed aside. She sees herself as an inconvenience, a burden others don't want to deal with. To let her die is to confirm that notion. She quite literally regresses back to the time before the events of the game, before Max came back to her life and showed her just important she is, only to die alone without all that realization and knowledge on a dirty bathroom floor. It is saying that she can die, that she doesn't matter, that her life isn't worth anything in the grand scheme of things. It is consciously and willingly declining her a chance at a new start.

Max spends the entire game insecure, second doubting her every move. At the same time, she constantly works to avoid consequence, to rewrite history only to cause more damage in the process. Going back and doing nothing is a testament to passivity. It is confirming that everything, all the effort Max has made, to whatever destructive end it might have lead, was wrong and that she shouldn't have done anything in the first place. One of the most consistent lessons the game hammers in over and over again is the dangers of passivity. What happens if you don't do anything, if you don't speak up, if you don't take action. Max over the course of the week learned to strike out of her shell, grew confident and proactive. She has made decisions with her best intentions, according to her best beliefs and tried to change the world around her for the better. Of course things didn't work out. They often don't. Does it mean that you shouldn't have taken action in the first place? Because that's what going back posits. Be passive, don't do anything, because things may get even worse as a result. Succumb to your fear of never doing anything right, so don't do anything at all.

Sticking to the decisions, letting the storm run its course, is claiming the ultimate responsibility. Things didn't work out and led to disastrous consequences, but she stands by the choices she has made, by the motivations and intentions that led to them, she has found confidence, integrity and strenght in herself. Regret and guilt is another ever-present theme in this game, and by making this choice, Max doesn't become controlled by them, accepting and intergrating them instead. She doesn't go back to use Chloe as a scapegoat for her sins, she doesn't try to fix her mistakes for the upteenth time (which is what led to this point in the first place) and in doing so shows the true mastery over her power. That she realizes that there is no easy way out and you have to live and accept the results of your actions, whether they are positive or negative.

Max and Chloe's relationship is ultimately about healing. As a result of things that happened to them, the separation between them, they've essentially became stuck in time and place, their growth stunted. Only when they reunite, they start moving forward as people again, through supporting and encouraging each other. The presence of each other in their lives allows them to mend their wounds and grow stronger and more confident. They compliment each other, the support they share allows them to break down the protective walls they've manufactured around themselves. The town's destruction is therefore the ultimate test of their love. They're at the center of an unspeakable tragedy, directly responsible for it, which is something that could easily destroy one's mind. But, through their love, they can face it, they can deal with it and move forward with their lives. It is saying that the bond they share is worth it, it's stronger than all the trauma and guilt and weight such event can place on one's shoulders. It's stating that their love is truly transcendent and invaluable, that there is nothing that could or should tear them apart again.

What is there to take away from Life is Strange? Sure, it's about personal responsibility. You have to strike out, make a difference, but know that there may be unforeseen cost to anything you do. There are no do-overs in life and while things may inadvertently turn badly, that shouldn't stop you from taking the shot in the first place - or from shying away from the uncomfortable results either. Because doubting yourself and refusing to act, refusing to do what you believe is right in the face of injustice, can be even worse and more destructive.

But primarily, I see the game as about moving forward with your life. Not staying static. The game is drenched in nostalgia, wistful thinking of the years past, of wishing you could have done things differently. And it's about how dangerous dwelling in that state is, about being submerged in regret and memories and hurt, instead of pressing ahead. Things may be awful, but you can overcome, you can live through them and grow stronger. With the support and love of those around you, with the confidence and trust in your decisions. Life isn't perfect. Life isn't fair. Sometimes, you're dealt a bad hand. Sometimes, you mess up, bad. But you can prevail. You can heal. Max and Chloe have been stuck in a mental prison for years. They've been put through trials no human being deserves to face. They've made mistakes. But they can move forward. They finally have each other again, to pick themselves up, stop living in the past and embrace the future.

That's what I think the Bae ending is about, while, for the most part, the Bay ending runs in a direct opposition to it. I don't think that people who picked Bay are wrong, there are legitimate and understandable reasons to do so too (just to name the most obvious one - thinking of the storm more in the way of a metaphor sure helps to brush of the edges off of Max being essentially a goddamn mass murderer). But to me, Bae simply works much better as a fitting and profound ending to the game.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Luna Lovegood, DOOM! and 4 others like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

(...) 

Bae or bay though?

Thanks for the compliments, you and Wu-Tang both!

Bae, in a heartbeat, without a shadow of a doubt. I think that Bae culminates Max and Chloe's character arcs and supports the game's themes so much better than the alternative.

*snippage*

giphy.gif

Brilliant post and I agree with every word.

• HaythamKenway likes this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:06 AM Edited by DOOM!, 18 July 2017 - 07:08 AM.

God damn Haytham, I love being apart of a good 'ol fashion circle jerk and your insight on this is excellent. I hate being the "reddit" dude, but as someone subbed to the LiS Reddit, this post stands high ground compared to some I've read on there.

I choose Bay, even though Haytham makes awesome points, I just felt like the relationship between Chloe and Max wasn't mean't to be. I enjoyed every minute of interaction with Chloe but I also started to feel and like other characters as well. I didn't have a romantic relationship with Chloe (or Warren), so the romantic side of it didn't have an effect on me, it was being able to save a few people of death during the game and to just let them all die because of Chloe didn't bode well for me... I kinda chose the path for Max to be the ultimate super hero, and her sacrificing her hella best friend for the greater good of some piece of sh*t corrupt town with good people in it just seemed right.

I seem to be in the minority of enjoying the development of Davids character. seems to get a lot of hate, but i can see where he is coming from and I've dealt with the douchebag step parent and that's without the strict military attitude so I couldn't imagine both at once, and I think david is a fine mixture of that.
  • HaythamKenway and Wu-Tang Forever like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

I seem to be in the minority of enjoying the development of Davids character. seems to get a lot of hate, but i can see where he is coming from and I've dealt with the douchebag step parent and that's without the strict military attitude so I couldn't imagine both at once, and I think david is a fine mixture of that.

Same here, David was one of my favorite characters in the game. At first you think he's just a bastard (and yeah, a lot of his actions are inexcusable), but then you see that he's just a well-meaning but misguided guy who's struggling to recover from his time in the war, and despite his treatment of her (and to be fair, she didn't exactly make it easy, though considering what she was going through in losing her dad, only for him to be replaced with this strange hard-ass, it's understandable), he really does love Chloe and look after her. That birthday card you can find in his stuff says a lot. I'm guessing he gave it to Chloe, but she wouldn't take it (and we DO see a picture of them at her birthday, both looking really pissed off)... damn. Or maybe he decided not to give it to her, knowing she probably wouldn't take it well? Either way, it's pretty sad.

Spoiler
  • DOOM!, HaythamKenway and Fallcreek like this

Mitsuha
  • Mitsuha

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Same here, David was one of my favorite characters in the game. At first you think he's just a bastard (and yeah, a lot of his actions are inexcusable), but then you see that he's just a well-meaning but misguided guy who's struggling to recover from his time in the war, and despite his treatment of her (and to be fair, she didn't exactly make it easy, though considering what she was going through in losing her dad, only for him to be replaced with this strange hard-ass, it's understandable), he really does love Chloe and look after her. That birthday card you can find in his stuff says a lot. I'm guessing he gave it to Chloe, but she wouldn't take it (and we DO see a picture of them at her birthday, both looking really pissed off)... damn. Or maybe he decided not to give it to her, knowing she probably wouldn't take it well? Either way, it's pretty sad.

Spoiler

I actually like David's character development. He is a character that I really hated at first, but soon liked him when he reveals he actually cares for Chloe and Joyce. 

Spoiler
  • Wu-Tang Forever and The7thOne like this

xXepicjasaXx
  • xXepicjasaXx

EPIC

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

There are two games coming, before the storm and life is strange 2, no information about Lis 2 only that it is happening 

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

Spoiler

I actually like David's character development. He is a character that I really hated at first, but soon liked him when he reveals he actually cares for Chloe and Joyce. 

Spoiler

I like David okay (he's pretty obviously not actually a bad guy), but I think I would like him better if his dialogue wasn't always so hamfisted. It's like the writers thought the player wouldn't be able to figure out he was a military veteran readjusting to civilian life if he didn't clumsily shoehorn a reference to it into every sentence.

PondNewt
  • PondNewt

Thug

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:02 PM Edited by PondNewt, 24 July 2017 - 10:03 PM.

I just completed a second playthrough of this after initially going through it last summer.  This time I wanted to experiment with making some different choices and mopping up the photos I missed first time around.  It is most definitely an excellent game which really makes you feel for the characters and get emotionally involve in their plights as others have said.  I'm looking forward to the prequel. 

If I had one criticism about the game it is that sometimes it didn't seem like events flowed 100% correctly all the time or weren't recorded in the diary properly for lack of a better way of putting it.  For example early on in the game we learn that Dana having recently broken up with Logan is now going out with Trevor and it seems like the game implies that we the player, (as Max) see Trevor sneaking out of Dana's room.  I don't think I saw that on either playthrough though unless I some how missed it.  Also with the Kate video thing when we initially hear about it (I believe it is Juliet and Brooke discussing it) Max acts as if she already know what the video is about like she has already watched it but at this point we the player don't have any idea what the video is supposed to be about.  Another example I can think of is that when sneaking off to meet Chloe Max runs across Principal Wells in her path but he never saw me or spoke to me as I used the rewind before he could catch me but it was still recorded in the diary as if we had had a conversation. 

On the whole though a fantastic game with every thing else being spot on. 

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:59 PM Edited by Matrelith, 29 July 2017 - 06:03 PM.

I just completed my first playthrough. It was pretty enjoyable. The rewind function was pretty interesting and added an extra dimension to the puzzles, like breaking into the principal's office. 

In the end I

Spoiler

It did take two episodes before I started to warm up to Chloe though. In the beginning she came across as a stereotype ''punk girl'' with the game trying so hard to check all the necessary boxes. I was glad to see she, along with the other characters as well, got proper character development was the episodes went along.

Some characters did keep giving me sh*t for not making certain decisions though. I think Chloe reminded me about 10 times that I

Spoiler
and Ms Grant who
Spoiler

I never got to see the movie with Warren though...

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Here's an interesting article from Polygon about the perspective of the possible "kill your gays" phenomenon in LiS (aka when a presumed [or confirmed] homossexual character gets killed soon after engaging in homossexual acts). As the whole phenomenon is by itself, it's just a bunch of speculation based on speculated facts but hey, it's a discussion about something that feels so subtle and natural that is easily overlooked in the game.

Article: Polygon.

Note: Spooooileeers

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

I'm not sure where else to put this, but in the wait for Before The Storm might I suggest a play through of What Remains Of Edith Finch for those interested. Even though it's a completely different game (being in first person) it has a very Life Is Strange kind of vibe to it.

As in nostalgia and the powerful sense of loss. Well from what I've played so far.

• 2281 and The7thOne like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Daughter will be doing the OST for Life is Strange: Before the Storm! For those who like them, this is amazing news.

OST on iTunes: https://itunes.apple...me/id1266370800

New song: 

• V4S, Algonquin Assassin, Kirsty and 2 others like this

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Spoiler

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

🦋 This action will have consequences...

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

In case somebody's interested, the trophy list for Before the Storm was revealed earlier today.

Warning: This will spoil the episode names and one of the game features, so if you don't want to see any kind of spoilers I don't recommend looking at it.
https://psnprofiles....efore-the-storm

Let's just say that one of the trophies caused people to raise their pitchforks, but Square Enix claims it was a mistake and they're working on it. :whistle:

• V4S and 2281 like this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013