Windows 10 & Windows 10 Mobile

372 replies to this topic
Vikki_Suicide
  • Vikki_Suicide

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

I don't know if anyone else has had this yet but I'm seriously pi$$ed off this morning!  Windows 10 done a lovely update on my machine AND REMOVED PROGRAMS I NEED!  This was due to this and that, but it doesn't matter, who gives them the right to remove programs.  I appreciate they think it's because they don't work or are unstable but OMG it was a Cisco VPN client that doesn't work, I jumped through hoops to get it working and then they go and remove it.  Surely there's some argument could be made against this.  I appreciate we agree to a EULA etc but this is now getting beyond a joke.

I'm half tempted to rip the thing out and go down the LINUX road.

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

I used to have a Nokia Lumia but when that thing was in repairable I went searching for a new phone. I bought one of the Android phones because I hated how there's a lack of applications on the Windows Phone. I liked the system and the design, but just the lack of applications is so annoying. I use VSCO and other photography editing applications which aren't featured on Windows Phone after all these years.

err5
  • err5

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

I don't know if anyone else has had this yet but I'm seriously pi$$ed off this morning! Windows 10 done a lovely update on my machine AND REMOVED PROGRAMS I NEED! This was due to this and that, but it doesn't matter, who gives them the right to remove programs. I appreciate they think it's because they don't work or are unstable but OMG it was a Cisco VPN client that doesn't work, I jumped through hoops to get it working and then they go and remove it. Surely there's some argument could be made against this. I appreciate we agree to a EULA etc but this is now getting beyond a joke.

They can technically do whatever they want as most people are so addicted and so scared to try anything new they will accept everything their master does to them.
You can learn more about Microsoft's bad practices here. Study them carefully and decide, whether trusting this corporation is a good idea.
If you want to try something new (which I recommend), take your time, ask for advices, etc. It's a bad idea to do this immediately as you might make a mistake, delete something even more important and end up only with frustration.

Vikki_Suicide
  • Vikki_Suicide

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

I don't know if anyone else has had this yet but I'm seriously pi$$ed off this morning! Windows 10 done a lovely update on my machine AND REMOVED PROGRAMS I NEED! This was due to this and that, but it doesn't matter, who gives them the right to remove programs. I appreciate they think it's because they don't work or are unstable but OMG it was a Cisco VPN client that doesn't work, I jumped through hoops to get it working and then they go and remove it. Surely there's some argument could be made against this. I appreciate we agree to a EULA etc but this is now getting beyond a joke.

They can technically do whatever they want as most people are so addicted and so scared to try anything new they will accept everything their master does to them.
You can learn more about Microsoft's bad practices here. Study them carefully and decide, whether trusting this corporation is a good idea.
If you want to try something new (which I recommend), take your time, ask for advices, etc. It's a bad idea to do this immediately as you might make a mistake, delete something even more important and end up only with frustration.

It's so true, the market is saturated by it to an extend 99% of people don't know anything else and just accept to live with it.  I've lived with it purely for Steam purposes but I'm thinking of running Ubuntu or some other flavour on my laptop as my daily driver and reserve my PC purely for games and games alone.

err5
  • err5

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Motivation is the first step to make a change. I'm happy I can see you saying all this.
It seems like Steam is available for multiple platforms so even if you make a change you'll still be able to use it. I can't speak from my own experience since I don't use this platform. I play games and use platforms that either don't have DRM or it can be easily bypassed or disabled. I have the genuine media, but I use backup copies to play.
I don't know how much experience you have with alternative systems and whether they work well with your hardware. Tell me, please.

Vikki_Suicide
  • Vikki_Suicide

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Motivation is the first step to make a change. I'm happy I can see you saying all this.
It seems like Steam is available for multiple platforms so even if you make a change you'll still be able to use it. I can't speak from my own experience since I don't use this platform. I play games and use platforms that either don't have DRM or it can be easily bypassed or disabled. I have the genuine media, but I use backup copies to play.
I don't know how much experience you have with alternative systems and whether they work well with your hardware. Tell me, please.

I have the motivation certainly!  I know Steam is available but I'm not sure if that means all the games will be compatible, this is my issue with it.  Existing setup is a 3.2GHz Xeon and GTX980Ti with a striped SSD array (2* 480GB).

err5
  • err5

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Doubtful. But this applies only to native games. You can run more due to compatibility layers or emulators.
For example there are no native GTA games for GNU/Linux (the article is referring to the OS just by saying "Linux" - it's a mistake, please don't repeat it), but I emulate them with PCSX2.
Sometimes sacrifices have to be made - my Nvidia card doesn't work at all and people with the exact same laptop have this problem as well; oh, never mind, I run internal Intel graphics and can live with it. It does, however, work on another computer I have.

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Was the Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1703 brand new? Or am i just really late with installing updates?

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

Was the Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1703 brand new? Or am i just really late with installing updates?[/size]

It's not brand new. It started rolling out about a week back. 24th or so I believe. It's still pending for me.

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Was the Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1703 brand new? Or am i just really late with installing updates?[/size]

It's not brand new. It started rolling out about a week back. 24th or so I believe. It's still pending for me.

Ah okay, i recently did a recovery on my computer and i was pretty sure i had already instead the big update from a while back but wasn't sure.

Do you know what's "new" about this one?

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

https://docs.microso...10-version-1703
  • Ai家妯b家 likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:24 PM

Game mode does f*ck all. Good luck enabling it in any game because the overlay doesn't even, you know, overlay on top of the game you're playing.
  • 2281 likes this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

I'm still disappointed by the subtitle support in the Film & TV app, both for Mobile & PC. It's buggy for me, most of the time. Was watching GOT earlier. Even though the SRT file was linked to the mp4 file, the player couldn't play it for atleast 3 tries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users