372 replies to this topic
TJGM
  • TJGM

Boss

• Members
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:23 PM Edited by TJGM, 02 August 2016 - 10:05 PM.

5efsYaT.png

Feel free to discuss Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile in this thread.

• Jestic likes this

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Car
    Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

Think there's going to be a catch?

Seeing as they have taken a fancy to subscription based software, I'd wager it'll be limited to 3 or 6 months before you enter the domain of paid subscription?

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

Seeing as they have taken a fancy to subscription based software, I'd wager it'll be limited to 3 or 6 months before you enter the domain of paid subscription?

http://www.pcgamer.c...a-subscription/

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

....There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

I assume the "free upgrade for the first year" is what caught you out because that's exactly what caught me out.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Cowboys and Sailors

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:08 AM

No additional fees? I hope that is true. When I heard "First year" I was pretty suspicious. Hopefully it is free for upgrade and doesn't have any additional costs, as I got scammed out of my Windows 7 and had to get another version of Win7, in total costing me over $180. I haven't been keen on upgrading my OS since that happened, and quite frankly am pretty paranoid on the subject.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Retired

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

Nice to see Microsoft is going the extra mile to try and please its customers after the widespread disappointment of Windows 8/8.1. Must also mean they feel pretty confident that Windows 10 will be successful. 

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

Since there's no real strings attached, I'll probably upgrade on my laptop! I wonder how this would all work out. How would we upgrade?

philbeau
  • philbeau

GTA

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

I will wait to see the benefits of windows 10. If it seems interesting you get a year to think about it.

I really hope there is no catch, but I'm wondering what are they going to do t make money out of it.

I'm thinking they giving you like the «limited» version of the OS,

but to have full access you need the «pro-version» which you will need to buy.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

Well Microsoft makes its money mainly in the enterprise market so I'd say Windows as a Service will be more prominent in the business sector where companies and organisations need bulk licenses. 

I'm happy it's free though, I got Win 8.1 free through my college so I'm basically paying nothing at all.

Undyne
  • Undyne

Incidentally Electronically Erased

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

I hope it's true. Although I don't know how that will work-out for older computers running Windows 7

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

^ Certain requiremeNts will require to be met before update of course.

This is a smart move, considering people won't budge on Windows 7 and it stagnates Microsoft's market, getting everyone on the same level will mean more apps and improvements faster.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:01 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 05 February 2015 - 04:04 PM.

Almost a week since the last post but I feel that I should post this, thankfully I don't think it'll have much of an effect on the average consumer: http://www.overclock...first_thought/1

On January 21st we learned that those who are currently running Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 would be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, but today we have learned that this is not the case for all versions of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. This means that they will not be getting an automatic update to Windows 10 through Microsoft Update like most of us Windows 7/8/8.1 users.

Thankfully the versions of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 that will be affected are all the enterprise versions of Microsoft's OS', meaning that us personal or small business users will likely be unaffected.

This is on Microsoft's blog: http://blogs.windows...and-up-to-date/

Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise are not included in the terms of free Windows 10 Upgrade offer we announced last week, given active Software Assurance customers will continue to have rights to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer – while also benefitting from the full flexibility to deploy Windows 10 using their existing management infrastructure

negged
  • negged

band

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:59 AM

it will make microsoft have potentially less work to do in the future (different system compatabilities for software) BUT i highly doubt everyone will take on the offer, esp. companies. They will run into compatability issues with some programs and might cost more to buy new software/hire a technician to fix up every single computer

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:25 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 18 March 2015 - 08:25 PM.

So uh... I just found this...

http://www.eurogamer...s-to-windows-10

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

Why the hell should they get it for free, when regular customers bought a copy of Windows 7/8/8.1? gtfo.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

It's a free upgrade only, plus the license lasts a year.

They did the same with 98, you could use a pirated version of 95 to use your upgrade license for 98.

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:22 AM

I haven't heard of that before, so I apologize. What happens after one year? You have to buy it? 

Also - http://thenextweb.co...run-windows-10/

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

Windoze 10 is going to have more back doors than a West End Night Club.

M$ giving away their next OS, and none of the planets Sheep are even the slightest bit f*cking suspicious, Idiocracy is definitely alive and well.

...................but, it's got electrolytes, everything a person needs !!!

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

So uh... I just found this...

http://www.eurogamer...s-to-windows-10

Lol....the best features for gaming....you can play xbone games if you own a xbone =.=.

 dice
  •  dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

They're just trying to get costumers into their ecosystem, similar how apple has it. Their system will run on PC, tablet, phone and pi, claiming apps will be cross platform compatible. It's obvious they're trying to set their foundations first

Red Hat
  • Red Hat

its moi

• Daily Globe
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award GTA IV

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

I had a chat with Microsoft. 

6f1kSaJ.jpg

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

6f1kSaJ.jpg

Wait....technical preview? So it is basically a trap to trick people into paying for an upgrade.....lol good old microsoft. Still trying to screw people over.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

I haven't heard of that before, so I apologize. What happens after one year? You have to buy it? 

You'll then need to buy a license to use the proper version of Win 10.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:34 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 19 March 2015 - 04:34 PM.

Wait....technical preview? So it is basically a trap to trick people into paying for an upgrade.....lol good old microsoft. Still trying to screw people over.

"The only free version of Windows 10, at this moment in time, is the technical preview" is what they meant.

http://windows.micro...indows-10/about

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. 

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

6f1kSaJ.jpg

So what's going to happen after that year is up? People won't be able to use their PC anymore?

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

6f1kSaJ.jpg

So what's going to happen after that year is up? People won't be able to use their PC anymore?

probably got a time limit and then either auto downgrade to 8 or limited use of windows.

Red Hat
  • Red Hat

its moi

• Daily Globe
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award GTA IV

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:22 PM Edited by Kevin3014, 24 March 2015 - 04:48 PM.

6f1kSaJ.jpg

probably got a time limit and then either auto downgrade to 8 or limited use of windows.

Or the wallpaper turning black and frequent pop up messages showing that Windows is not genuine.

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

6f1kSaJ.jpg

Or the wallpaper turning black and frequent pop up  messages showing that Windows is not genuine.

Seems to be constricted by this..though

"Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge."

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

6f1kSaJ.jpg

Or the wallpaper turning black and frequent pop up  messages showing that Windows is not genuine.

Seems to be constricted by this..though

"Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time for no additional charge."

So it's only the preview?

I just bought 8.1 student for $69.99 and installed it on my SSD hoping to upgrade to Windows 10 for free....

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

So it's only the preview?

I just bought 8.1 student for $69.99 and installed it on my SSD hoping to upgrade to Windows 10 for free....

No, that message is just poorly worded.

As Troubadour already noted, 

"Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time for no additional charge."

http://windows.micro...indows-10/about

As of right now, the only free version is the preview. When Windows 10 drops it will be free for users with Win 7, 8.1 or Win Phone 8.1

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

Forgot about this topic..

Just wondering if anybody here has downloaded the Win 10 preview and what their though on it so far is

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users