Photo

What was GTA 4 Multiplayer like to you?

96 replies to this topic
Simply Logic
  • Simply Logic

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:43 AM Edited by Simply logic, 14 January 2015 - 02:57 AM.

Climbing ledges, crouching, rolling, rolling to cover, weapons aiming target, weapons, driving, vehicles, destructability, explosions, death cam, clothing, players talking ability button, pedestrians chatter, pedestrians reactions, fighting, melee, music, radio stations, controls, players movement, backing up, moving forward, turning around, moving across a ledge you cant climb, lighting vehicles on fire, ranks, games, city design, city size, recoil, finding weapons, accessing vehicles, matchmaking, lobbies, cellphone, falling off things, jumping off things, landing on feet, players voices, camera angles and whatever else you can think of.
  • Davve95, Sebizzar and SanLiberty like this

Sauce béarnaise
  • Sauce béarnaise

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:46 AM Edited by SmellyFishBarrel, 14 January 2015 - 03:04 AM.

matchmaking and yellow car

edit: sh*t, didn't realize you were talking 'bout multiplayer only. mmh what comes to mind ? assault rifle only deathmatches on colony island those were great.

hoopz71
  • hoopz71

GREEN N WHITE THRU N THRU, Here we go to 5 in a row

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:57 AM

Ive had gta4 + episodes for ages but never played multiplayer
  • Rocket Skates and SanLiberty like this

Elder Maxson
  • Elder Maxson

DAMN SYNTHS

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

Everyone hangs out at the airport.

• 007_eleven, Mr. Jago, Voit Turyv and 14 others like this

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

Riding in my '85 tahoma

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:39 AM Edited by dreadluxx, 14 January 2015 - 04:40 AM.

so yeah.  since my in-depth comment was removed for some reason...

more fun than GTAO, for sure.

• Drunken Cowboy and Misunderstood like this

Maya Echo Visari
  • Maya Echo Visari

On mobile.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

It wasn't as extensive and it wasn't as deep of an experience as Grand Theft Auto: Online, but it was a whole lot of fun. It was simple, it was enjoyable. 

The sky was the limit in that game's multiplayer. Sure, you had races, deathmatches and some co-op stuff but all of that was basic filling to make the game's progression system relevant. To be honest, I never reached the top rank because the real fun was kicking it in freeroam. After a while of playing.. You start to forget that ranks and a progression system even exist in that game.

You used your imagination to make things fun in GTA IV multiplayer. That's the way I look at it.

I didn't really enjoy GTA IV much, but I had a lot of fun in multiplayer for sure. I'm sure if I owned GTA IV for PC, I'd be looking at it in a different light, but I don't. 

• Sebizzar likes this

Jim Lahey
  • Jim Lahey

I Am The Liquior Boyz

• New Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

Bowling my friends. But the thing i remember most about GTA 4 is annoying cousins calls.

MellowFellow
  • MellowFellow

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

Loved it. Airport free roam (pre buzzard), friendly fire off, no cops.
Just a lobby full of people drag racing, trying elaborate ways to kill each other, everyone versus the fella who got the sultan, trying to out jump each other, it was just more fun.

Normal freeroam was cool too, anytime it was limited to one small area was really fun. You died and killed others so often that there was no need for rage, you'd always get your revenge.
Good times. Heard it went to sh*t when modders and kids f*cked it up, but the early days were unmatched for all round hilarity.
  • Jehannum and Sebizzar like this

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

The one thing I loved about Free Roam was you could lure people into buildings and then set them a nice trap. Once in TBOGT Online Id pissed these 3 guys off they came after me in a buzzard so I hid in one of the big apartment complexs in Northwood. I stayed near the top floor so they'd get out of the Buzzard and pursue me on foot whilst they were landing I set Satchel Charges all the way up the stairs to the roof then waited for them to enter whilst I was crouched behind a doorway with a clear view of all 3 of them. Once they were in the middle of the stairwell Boom that is one of the few times Id wish I'd have been able to hear the rage once I stole their Buzzard.

For me this is one of the things GTA V is missing enterable buildings it definitely made Free Roam more engaging than just trolling around in a Tank or Buzzard. Plus if you did get trolled you could lure them into a building and then they'd have to fallback on their half assed aiming skills to try take you out.

• Jehannum, Sebizzar and R3CON like this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Compared to V...utter dogsh*t IMO.
  • LeonTheKiller, Octane, Shadowfennekin and 5 others like this

Jehannum
  • Jehannum

PS4

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

Played IV and TBOGT online nigh on every day for 5 years. I'd love to see my stats for playing time on that game. I got to know Liberty City very well. I loved the different atmospheres and architectures of the islands. Had my favourite routes and shortcuts from place to place. I knew all the rooftops.

After extensive searches I knew 100+ wall breaches, shimmy glitches, wall breaches within wall breaches, underground helicopter perches - many of them undocumented as far as I know. I had one online friend called Candy Jewel and we used to do weird glitches with ambulances and using motorbikes to get into closed interiors.

I learned that Friendly Fire Off freemode in TBOGT was the most fun. My favourite trick was to shotgun someone as they were throwing a sticky bomb, exploding and killing them. Or drive around collecting explosives while everybody else just had ineffective bullet weapons.

I had recurring enemies, like something_007 who always used to just sit in a burned out car (where nothing could harm him). My trick was to use the police tank thing to push him into water so he'd drown. He'd always claim he'd been "at the store". I'd have crews try to hunt me out for hours, and I'd lay traps for them.

Anyone remember the rooftop you couldn't jump off? It was near the fire department in south Alderney. It only had a low ledge but the jump animation wouldn't work. You could lure them into your helicopter and if they jumped out they were stuck.

The modders started to ruin it. Thanks to glitches I sometimes managed to surprise and kill even them, but spontaneously combusting and teleporting into the prison enclosure began to lose its sheen.

• GTA_fear, Captain Revenge and Sebizzar like this

MrCamo
  • MrCamo

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

I miss the ability to create your own lobbies, as I always set the blips to far. This makes the people's blips disappear once they are about 2 blocks away.
  • Captain Revenge and NeonDolphin like this

Captain Revenge
  • Captain Revenge

San Andreas Serial Killer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:37 AM

Knowing that map so well, above it, on it and below it. Extensive research on every building you could fly up into. Many times while leading someone into a race through the streets of the center island 20 feet of the ground in the Annihilator, then break free and use that 4 second window to pop under the map and up into quite a few different building on every island except Charge island. Glitching was a part of the game cause you only needed knowledge and flying skills to achieve it, modders on the other hand ruined that game.

• Jehannum and Sebizzar like this

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

My best experiences ever in a multiplayer game comes straight from GTA IV.. both on the PC and PS3 versions.

I befriended a group of guys who ended up making events every day or every weekend where we simply play some deathmatch against each other, Demolition Derby (we were the first group to actually try it on that "carnival" arena), Busted (the guy that made up that custom game mode was in the group as well), Zombie Rush and so on. Seems like every single month there was something new about the game with just the help of our minds instead of using mods.

I miss those days, I also remember most of the players in any lobby always crowding the Airport with RPG only servers, flying their Annihilators..doing stunts such as the few ramps located near the main area of the Airport, or driving around Algonquin in their Comets and Infernuses

I remember grinding cash by replaying Hangman's Noose over and over again as well as Bomb Da Base II trying to beat the record time for the trophy/achievement

Times like that is what makes me even more pumped for V on PC sometime in the next couple of months, I want to relive those moments again with new people. 

• Sebizzar and V12599 like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:30 AM

At least it functioned from the start. GTAO needed a two week delay and it was still a broken piece of sh*t full of issues.

Anyway I haven't played GTA IV MP in years, but it was such a load of fun. I'm not normally into multiplayer gamse, but even though I don't typically like playing with strangers in GTA IV MP it was a blast.

• Tycek, Nico, Officer620 and 6 others like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:35 AM

It was so fun. I liked ranking up and choosing my outfits. Also everytime I played I kept on going in or out of a session to get a black icon then I would find that "secret" sultan rs behind that old garage and taking it to the, "pay'n'spray" to make it just black then using a pistol I shot all my lights out and at night no once could see me (visibly on screen and on the map). I felt like Batman when shooting people and they had no idea where I was shooting from. Ahhhhhh those were the days when you could really feel like a bad-ass.

• Algonquin Assassin, Voit Turyv and Drunken Cowboy like this

Captain Revenge
  • Captain Revenge

San Andreas Serial Killer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:38 AM Edited by Captain Revenge, 19 January 2015 - 05:40 AM.

I went on there today, u can still be online. Room i was in had 8 including me. All the glitches still work. Encountered 1 modder, who couldn't seem to stay in the room. Controls were a little different. i was in original GTA4 cops off, friendly fire off. regular weapons.

It required a 20 mb update for the 3 game complete disc to play

Vice City criminal
  • Vice City criminal

I am a vulnerable guy who needs to be held by big strong arms.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

team deathmatch, collecting guns and going ape sh*t on the airport

• Simply Logic likes this

Ray
  • Ray

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:00 AM Edited by Ray, 20 January 2015 - 03:01 AM.

I had such a great time with it. There was one summer where I played it almost every single day with a friend of mine, we were so addicted to it. The only thing I hated was the large amount of modders. It seemed like every lobby had at least one, and their username usually had a bunch of X's. Sometimes you would run into cool ones who spawn cars and ramps and hang out, but most of the time you would get the asshole ones who would set you on fire, teleport you to them, spawn tugboats on top of you, amongst other things. It's very unfortunate that something so great has been plagued by people who enjoy making others' lifes miserable.
  • Sebizzar likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

These boots are 100% wolverine hide

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:49 AM Edited by B Dawg, 20 January 2015 - 11:50 AM.

Races in my Super GT, Dukes, making lobbies with Rain weather, Mafiya Work, trolling and police roleplay, killing the Angels Of Death for Petrovic then TLAD came along and giving people some Road Rash, constantly racing with one of my best friends, Chopper VS Chopper against skilled pilots, rolling with The Lost in Club Business. Priceless.

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

I must be a rare breed then, a huge fan of IV, but prefering GTA Online to IV's multiplayer.

• PowerKracker and SanLiberty like this

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Race to who spawnkills who first.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

brb sitting in my 85 Skylark as it idles in the garage

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2017 [GTA: Underground]
    Best Map 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Countryside]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

It was a lot better than GTA Online, that's for sure.

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Crew 2017 [Spanish Kings]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

My multiplayer experiences through IV, TLAD and TBOGT.

IV: The players are the worst I've seen in a multiplayer, yes, worse than GTA Online, NEVER do missions with randoms, they go AFK, don't know how to do simple tasks and just kill you for no reason (despite the fact you're working together). Played Mafia work and freemode with my friends and that's pretty much it.

TLAD: Every single f*cking lobby is in the airport, like EVERY SINGLE ONE, IV's public lobbies were in airports too but it changed a few times.

Freemode is basically unlimited deathmatch, and IDK why but I get a lot of time outs when playing TLAD multiplayer, the only fun I had was playing the biker missions with friends.

TBOGT: Never played the other game modes, BECAUSE THERE WERE NONE! Just played freemode with friends, public freemodes usually had 2 to 4 players, all of which went afk or teamed up to kill you.

IV Multiplayers is pretty good, but it's the players that ruin it for me, IMO GTA online is better, more things to do and you can ACTUALLY RANK UP SOLO! As I've stated before, say what you want about the people that play GTA Online, but atleast they play the game and know how it works instead on going on it and then leave to make a sandwich...

• SanLiberty likes this

KogerOnControls
  • KogerOnControls

Uneducated guess

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:40 PM Edited by KogerOnControls, 20 January 2015 - 08:41 PM.

That moment when you're in a lobby with one or two guys and you do stupid sh*t... parkour from building to building , getting 6 stars after a "heist", bail-out contests , helicopter bail-out challanges , drag races , racing to complete all sky-dives , Annihilator vs NRG , hide&seek , exploring the interiors , "assassinations" and much more...And so many made up stories...Imagination was and STILL IS the limit.

At the end of the day you realise that you've just made two best friends. 

Of course there were loads of assholes who'd just kill you until you left the lobby but still....it was fun getting revenge. 

Let's see what I can get out of GTA Online. 

JokerSmokerToker
  • JokerSmokerToker

drop a gear n disappear

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

GTA 4's online was my bread and butter for a solid 2 years, i played it up until GTA V online came out - i loved randomly trolling people, my absolute favorite thing to do in a non-friendly fire lobby where you couldnt kill eachother directly was to shoot people riding on motorcycles or dirtbikes, until the gas tank caught fire, setting them alight and watching them run around like chickens witht heir heads cut off, then reading through their tirade of messages calling you all dorts of names xD

I never really had any friends to play with, so id just cruise about trying to perfect my skills as a lone wolf, i was damn good at 1v1 firefights, and a god at sticking peoples cars with c4 on TBOGT.

Really all i did on GTA 4 multiplayer was troll the f*ck out of everyone i came across - never had more fun in my life...i wish GTA V: O had a game mode like GTA 4's, where there was no money, no personal vehicles, where online isnt like a second job....i just loved engaging in indiscriminate mayhem...

• Sebizzar likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

I really liked it, because the fun was the most important thing there. Sure there were ranks and cash, but nobody was asking you to grind them endlessly without any reason. I still remember and recall with pleasure all the fun I had with my friends and all these events people around this forums were making (Doc's Racing League or Turf Wars). If that wasn't fun then I really know what should receive that name.  

dognuts
  • dognuts

I look like a lick

• Victim of The Pit™
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:03 PM Edited by TheKillerDonuts, 20 January 2015 - 10:10 PM.

Me and my friends would plan and execute intricate heists, usually from the Star Junction Burger Shot. There were usually four of us: Me, Christian, Mike and Dylan. We had a bunch of different variations of robberies, it was great. We mostly did them in The Ballad of Gay Tony. I'm gonna reminisce about my favorite one...

Spoiler

Overall, IV's MP was just terrific fun for me. Even playing with randoms, i still had a blast. The community was much more chill than any other i met (CoD and GTAO). Even the hackers i encountered were cool. It was just a really chill environment playing IV MP. The few game modes that were there, were amazing. Racing with the awesome driving physics was great, made even cooler with TBoGT's nitrous. Deathmatches were f*cking sweet, since i loved the shooting mechanics. Cooperative missions? Fun as hell. Hangman's NOoSE - intense. Deal Breaker and Bomb Da Base II - real teamwork. Cops 'n Crooks - legendary. This was made even more fun by the simple nature of it. I love GTA Online's customization, but the plethora of jobs COMPLETELY pale in comparison to IV MP's. And the money and property system in GTA O isn't done nearly as a good as it could be. IV not having those systems are just less things to worry about in game, making it even more chilled out. IV's MP was geared completely toward fun, which should always be the focus of online games. Make it too serious, and people become dicks or lose interest... *cough* GTA Online *cough

• Sebizzar likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

I never played it, to be honest.

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

This. V's the only MP I can actually play.

IV was fun for a bit, just driving around and killing others. Cops and Crooks was cool too. Kids ruined it by screeching(Thank God I only have to hear them in lobbies in V), and stupid modders who freeze your f*cking game when you shoot them.

I could NOT get away from one hacker, tried joining other lobbies but kept getting sucked into the one that freezing asshat was in. And that's where I gave up IV

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users