[3ds Max] San Andreas reflections

8 replies to this topic
_F_
  • _F_

«««« † »»»»

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Vehicle 2014 [GTAV Vehicles converted to San Andreas]

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:30 PM Edited by _F_, 11 July 2015 - 08:17 PM.

Background:
Well this topic is mainly for my friend Verlotsky to whom I'm trying to teach some tips for fixing his fixed vehicle mods. And since he works with Zmodler which I know nothing about and I work with 3ds Max which is super easy, I first have to show how to make San Andreas reflections. Since many people don't know how to make San Andreas reflections in 3ds Max, I thought why not make a topic here in public instead of just PMing. This way other people may also find it useful. Any questions: feel free to post.

Tools:
Kam's Max Scripts
DFF Exporter (3ds Max plugin)
GTA .dff Importer
Anos' Script

They all have ReadMe files about how to install them, so hopefully you won't have any problems with that.

Getting started:
Hmm so I don't know where to begin... Let's start from the very basics then I guess...

1) Open Material editor with M. You should see lots of grey balls.
2) Now click on one of them. After that click on the "Standard" button which should open a new window. From that window choose "GTA Material"

Spoiler

San Andreas style reflection line on the body:
1) On the bottom of the GTA Materials you should see 2 buttons. Firstly double click on the "Other default" (1) then after that double click on the "SA Vehicle default"(2). Now choose your preferred color (3) for the material (choose white if you don't want it to be colorable in game). Now you have to choose the texture you want for your model. (4)
Now the most important part: Make sure all the settings are the same as on the following picture:
Spoiler

Ambient 0.5 (Max 0 min 1.0 - the higher the amount the brighter the object will be in-game), Specular 1.0, Diffuse 1.0, Reflection 100, Glossiness 30.0, Spec alpha 255, Spec ref/blend 0.05

Now apply the texture to your vehicle.

No reflection:
This is mostly used for the interior of the car and other parts that should have no reflection.

Like before but now, don't click on "SA Vehicle default", if you already did, then just press "Other default"

Chrome reflection:
Do exactly as you did in the "San Andreas style reflection line on the body" part, but now don't choose color (If you want your chrome to be colorable you can of course).
Pay attention now, some important changes in the settings:
1) By default it gave the "Reflection section" xvehicleenv12 texture, but you have to change it manually to vehicleenvmap128 by clicking on it and locating the texture file on your computer. (It can also be your custom texture with other name)
2) Also set "Ambient" value to 0.2 and Spec/Refl blend to 0.08
Spoiler

Apply to your model.

Getting ready to export:
1) Close material editor if you already haven't. Choose everything on your scene. (Ctrl + A)
2) From the top of your 3ds Max click "MAXScript" > "Run Script..." > and find "GTAnos"
3) Now scroll down until you see the same buttons as on the above image:
First click on the "Auto 2UvwMap"'s "Applica alla selezione" (I think this creates the 2nd UVW map for the line)
Now click on button above it "Riflessi sul secondo Canale UVW".
Spoiler

NOTE: It is very important that you do it in this exact order. From my experience it doesn't work if done the other way around.
4)You may now close Anos script.

Exporting:
NOTE: For some reason it is not possible to export 2nd UVW channel with Kam's script and for this reason we need that exporter plugin by seggaeman.

1) Select all of your scene again (Ctrl + A). For some reason Anos script deselects dummies.
2)On the very top left corner, click on the Autodesk logo and and choose export. Choose your file name and select "Grand Theft Auto DFF" from the "Save file as" drop down menu.
3) This should open a new window. Make sure all your settings are exactly as on the picture below:
Spoiler

4) Now that your settings are correct click on "Append collision" and choose the .col file you made for your car earlier. After that you are ready to export.

Any questions - fee free to ask.

• juanma_16, _CP_, miclin and 5 others like this

_F_
  • _F_

«««« † »»»»

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

Okay, so I'll now show how to make custom collison file.

Of course there are many ways to do it, I'll show you the way I do it.

1) Have your car opened on the scene. I suggest hide damage parts and _vlo model.

2) Find an original San Andreas car it resembles most.

3) Open Kam's "Collison IO" script.

4) Thick "Skip bounding" and then "Open Collison File". File type .dff and open the original San Andreas car you chose.

5) A lots of beige balls and grey car silhouette should appear. Now press H on your keyboard which should open the hierarchy of the scene. Select everything except your car and "name_CM"

Spoiler

6) Click "Ok" and then right click anywhere on your scene. Choose "Hide selection"

7) Now there should be some sort of primitive shape of the vehicle. Using "Editable Mesh" tool try to make it as similar as possible to your car.

Spoiler

Don't worry if it doesn't fit 100%. Also the bottom part should be a little higher that the actual bottom of the car. (It might avoid some future bugs, but I'm not 100% sure either)

8) Now open Material Editor (M button on your keyboard). Choose the "eyedropper" tool (1) and click on that beige mesh (2).

Two "GTA COL Surface" sections should show up (3). Click on of them. And check that the settings are like this (4). If they are not, then change the values, so that they would be like that. Now go back to the "multimaterial" (5) and open the other section and make sure the settings are like that (6). These are the settings for the windshield. If they are not like that, the windshield will not be breakable in game.

Spoiler

If they were already correct then just close the material editor. (Sometimes the settings are wrong (Rockstar's bug)

9) Now right click on your scene and choose "Unhide all". Open hierarchy (H) and choose "name_SM". Hide it.

10) Now it is time to start making the balls fit the shape of your car. Using "move" and "scale" tools make them fit your car. If you need more of them for your car, just right click one of them and make a copy. (NOTE: "Copy" not "Instance")

Spoiler

NOTE: Make sure your balls are not over the bottom part of the "name_CM" mesh (we did that earlier, remember?)

11) Alright. Now the shadow. Again unhide all, this time in hierarchy (H) choose everything except your car and "name_SM". Hide them. You should only have the grey car shadow mesh now.

12) Using "Editable mesh" try to make it as similar to your car as possible.

13) Now there is two ways to go by: The San Andreas way or my way:

San Andreas way:

The shadow stays on that exact position, but then you should make sure that the dark parts are not visible from under the car mesh. Else it will give dark spots in game.

Well those dark spots will be visible at certain angles in game nevertheless.

My way:

As I don't like these dark lines at all, I flipped the shadow 180 degrees. There will still be shadow in game, but it will not look like on the original cars. The plus side is that will be no dark lines at all.

(Select all verticles, choose the "Rotating tool" and flip in 180 degrees, move it right below the car. Part of the shadow and part of the car bottom should even touch)

Spoiler

In this case, it is totally up to you: Use whichever way you like better.

14) Exporting the col file: Unhide everything again. Now from the hierarchy choose your car and hide it. So that only the beige balls, shadow and the flat "name_CM" thing are shown.

15) Open Kam's Collision IO again. Click "Collision Mesh" (2) and then click on the "name_CM" (3). Now click on the "Shadow Mesh" (4) and choose your shadow (5). Check that they are like that. (6) Write whatever name you feel like, it doesn't matter what so ever.

Spoiler

16) Select everything (ctrl + A). Click export and give it whatever name you want.

• Verlotsky likes this

_F_
  • _F_

«««« † »»»»

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:19 PM Edited by _F_, 22 April 2015 - 03:11 PM.

Wheels are sinking in SAMP? Tuning wheels are too small?
Spoiler

Here I'm going to show you a way to fix that. I just figured out how to do that too so don't be mad if it is too hard to understand and there seem to be unnecessary steps.

1) Open original San Andreas car that you are going to replace
2) Delete everything else except "wheel"
2.2) Unlink all wheel dummies and wheels from your model.
3) Select the wheel on your model and write down the XYZ coordinates
Spoiler

4) Apply those coordinates to the original car's wheel which should put it exactly to the same position as yours
5) Now take your wheel and re-scale it, so it would be exactly the same size as the original wheel.
NOTE: Remember how much you scaled it. (I scaled it down to 84)
6) Reset its scale and transform
Spoiler

6) Delete the original wheel.
7) Create a new dummy. Put its coordinates 0 0 0 and name it whatever you want (make sure that the game engine doesn't use that name[birdie for example])
8) Scale it bigger. (exactly as much as you scaled up before). (In my case I scaled down 84 so 100-84 =16, 100 + 16 = 116)
NOTE: Do not reset scale and transform.
9) Now take the number you scaled it bigger or smaller and divide it by 2. (In my case 16/2=8)
10) Move that new dummy you made either up or down by 0.08. Move down (-0.08) if you scaled the wheel bigger, move up(+0.08), if you scaled smaller.
11) Link that new dummy to chassis dummy, and wheel dummies to it.
Spoiler

Exporting with Kam's script.
If you are exporting with updated Seggaeman's script do as in the first post.

1) Unhide everything on your scene.
2) Click on one random dummy. Right click > select similar > hide selection
3) Open Anos script and do everything exactly the same way as written on the first post under "Getting ready to export"
4) Ctrl + A. Select everything. Open modifiers > Unwrap UVW (1)
5) Set map channel to 2. (2) Click "Reset UVWs".(3) Right click on "Unwrap UVW" and rename it to "2nd UV Map" (4)
Spoiler

6) Now change map channel back to 1, but this time, DON'T click on "Reset UVW", you should notice that the textures mapping changes to really weird. Don't mind it, in game it is normal.
7) Right click on your scene > Unhide all
8) Ctr + A (Select all)
9) Open Kam's Maxscript. Click "Select COL3/COLL". Click "Export DFF"
  • juanma_16, lpgunit and Verlotsky like this

JC2837
  • JC2837

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

can someone please do a tutorial video. cause the paint job doesn't work. I added the Euros car a paint job but when I apply the paint job,it's just a plain white paint job. please help me

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

Thank you so much for the tips dude. I'm sure this would be of great help in case I decide to convert some stuff to SA.

Also, on the part where you linked the wheels to the "birdie" dummy, will it affect hydraulics on lowriders or should it behave in much the same way was with vanilla vehicles?

_F_
  • _F_

«««« † »»»»

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

I think it doesn't affect them in any different way, not 100% sure though.

MrGTAmodsgerman
  • MrGTAmodsgerman

Inventor

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:52 PM Edited by MrGTAmodsgerman, 04 August 2015 - 09:58 PM.

OMG why i see this too late?!

_F_
  • _F_

«««« † »»»»

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

I'm glad you like it :)
  • MrGTAmodsgerman likes this

spaceshape
  • spaceshape

SuS Yo

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by spaceshape, A week ago.

Holy fukin sh*t!

You are still using Windows XP!

BTW, nice tut m8 its gr8.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users