2,247 replies to this topic
Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:26 AM Edited by Finite, 25 June 2017 - 08:26 AM.

It's early days yet but while his support is growing at a consistently good rate the support for the Conservatives and Theresa May is plummeting and this is before they inevitably f*ck up Brexit.

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

what did he mean by this

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

It's early days yet but while his support is growing at a consistently good rate the support for the Conservatives and Theresa May is plummeting and this is before they inevitably f*ck up Brexit.

We can't deny the great polling he's been receiving but what can be considered is the state of the front bench and how, to an extent, it's more popular to say you're for Corbyn / shy Tories being even more reluctant to state their views. If this gives an impression that I'm not accepting what's changed in the election then I'd rather suggest I'm being skeptical of it. The line that Labour increased their share of the vote can't be repeated without mentioning that the Tories did the same. Allowing this to happen given the dire state of their campaign is pretty poor.

You can guarantee that the Tories will absolutely be on the watch to ensure a repeat of the General Election performance won't happen again. This was where they had to stick to a script once put out unless they wanted to look like they were making U-Turns, an approach doggedly set in stone after the one on social care. Something as sh*te as this, you could say, allowed Corbyn's support to creep up as they were sitting ducks for anyone to target. That period has passed and such opportunities won't exist in the same way.

Now we consider the cabinet, which hasn't (understandably) changed to any significant degree. I still find the duumvirate of McDonnell / Abbott deeply unpalatable in areas which would need to be won to get into government. It seems this time around the Tories favored savaging Corbyn rather than these two, which now has been exposed to be counterproductive, so you could consider these two to be the next targets. I hesitate over this as I have no clue how the next Conservative campaign will be run, but it is something to recognize. 

Brexit seems to have been a topic which didn't and currently doesn't seem to galvanize voters. The two parties, broadly speaking, can be seen as similar aside from Single market / customs union access (afaik). I feel as time goes on the answer to this and other things will inevitably be exposed from the outcome of negotiations. They would have to monumentally f*ck up on this and on other issues to make people able to hold their nose and vote Labour in key areas which would, as I said before, give them a decent majority rather than the required number of seats for one. 

This is all with the incorrect assumption that May will remain PM til the next election. It has been floated that a combination of David Davis and Phillip Hammond are probable candidates or even ones which can work together without the fuss of a leader's election. I can think that either would be harder for Corbyn to top, leaving a depressing Labour party which either has him or a selection of inadequate, weak-willed moderates to choose from.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:33 PM Edited by Finite, 26 June 2017 - 12:30 PM.

We can't deny the great polling he's been receiving but what can be considered is the state of the front bench and how, to an extent, it's more popular to say you're for Corbyn / shy Tories being even more reluctant to state their views.

Or more reluctant to even back them, given the results of the election.

If this gives an impression that I'm not accepting what's changed in the election then I'd rather suggest I'm being skeptical of it. The line that Labour increased their share of the vote can't be repeated without mentioning that the Tories did the same. Allowing this to happen given the dire state of their campaign is pretty poor.

You absolutely can, the SNP's presence splitting the left vote is what allowed the Tories to gain seats in Scotland it is unlikely that whenever another election is called they will end up holding any of the seats they gained.

In addition Labour to put it simply outperformed in almost every aspect and look to continue to do so, the Tories gaining seats due to the SNP losing support has little impact on the fact that Labour came out of this election looking stronger than they have in a decade.

You can guarantee that the Tories will absolutely be on the watch to ensure a repeat of the General Election performance won't happen again

And yet Theresa May remains in office unable to form a government as yet and with her the conservatives are polling lower and lower, the juxtaposition between Corbyn holding and hugging victims of Grenfall fire while it took her three visits to even acknowledge the same individuals is so great that a comeback for her is beyond improbable.

This was where they had to stick to a script once put out unless they wanted to look like they were making U-Turns, an approach doggedly set in stone after the one on social care. Something as sh*te as this, you could say, allowed Corbyn's support to creep up as they were sitting ducks for anyone to target. That period has passed and such opportunities won't exist in the same way.

I disagree, the polls suggest a rise in popularity for Corbyn and a decline for the Conservatives and this is due to him seemingly continuing to impress, people are warming to him and for no reason other than the fact that weeks after the election a series of incidents have transpired that make the Tories look worse than their campaign did, Brexit's outcome will only amplify these issues.

Now we consider the cabinet, which hasn't (understandably) changed to any significant degree. I still find the duumvirate of McDonnell / Abbott deeply unpalatable in areas which would need to be won to get into government. It seems this time around the Tories favored savaging Corbyn rather than these two, which now has been exposed to be counterproductive, so you could consider these two to be the next targets. I hesitate over this as I have no clue how the next Conservative campaign will be run, but it is something to recognize.

I'm inclined to agree although this is speculation at best and given the money they threw at the last campaign I have doubts about their competency running a new one without looking like hypocritical fools and there will likely be no Labour infighting to aid them next election.

Brexit seems to have been a topic which didn't and currently doesn't seem to galvanize voters. The two parties, broadly speaking, can be seen as similar aside from Single market / customs union access (afaik).

The problem is the specifics will matter a great deal and with information coming out that May blocked EU nationals rights from being preserved which would have also protected the rights of any British citizens living in the EU is testament to how badly they're already handling things, and no government opposition is going to give them a minutes rest when you have an MP asking the press to be more patrioticabout the situion.

Brexit is a poisoned chalice.

I feel as time goes on the answer to this and other things will inevitably be exposed from the outcome of negotiations. They would have to monumentally f*ck up on this and on other issues to make people able to hold their nose and vote Labour in key areas which would, as I said before, give them a decent majority rather than the required number of seats for one.

Too assuming, Labour made gains in almost every part of the UK and with the poisoned chalice still to drink from it could turn around very quickly. 

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

https://www.theguard...l-politics-live

The Tories have just spent £150m per seat to buy themselves a majority. But, remember, there's no magic money tree.
  • SA's Most Wanted likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

I can't really say much on that, apart from "what the f*ck" and "of course they would".

Reminds you of why a lot of people just can't be arsed with politics.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:02 PM Edited by Finite, 27 June 2017 - 12:22 PM.

https://www.theguard...ed-universities

A u-turn? By Theresa May's goverment? I simply refuse to believe it. Did anyone really trust the Conservatives with the NHS - I mean, seriously? They are ideologically opposed to nationalised health care in the same way they are opposed to other nationalised industries, like rail, energy and telecommunications. The plan is to defund, reduce, discard and then replace with a private option. This is not a misstep this is the plan.

Applications to study nursing in the new 2017-18 academic year have slumped by 23% compared with last year, after the abolition of bursaries.

And

The number of EU nurses registering to practise in the UK has fallen by 96% in less than a year. Only 46 EU nurses came to work in the UK in April compared with 1,304 last July

Tory plans to replace the NHS with a smoking crater seem right on track.
  • Davo the Assassin likes this

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:25 AM Edited by Finite, 29 June 2017 - 08:32 AM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...4b02ddd4ae44b8f

The tories are ideologically anti-public sector. It was to be expected really.

So, due to this result, nurses will be striking imminently. Student nurses are being rallied for action later in the month so they can fulfil placement hours and objectives as well as support staff nurses.

This isn't like other strikes where employees are already on £60k salaries and 50 days holiday.

The starting salary for a nurse is £21,600 or £70 a day. A DAY. At the top of Band 5 it's £28000ish, or £86. It's bad. The government has made it even worse for new nurses graduating in 2020 as they'll also be paying off their student debt. The 1% rise awarded is literally £5 a month. 

You know what £5 a month means? It means no nurse is going to be stupid enough to work for peanuts. They'll move to private companies, or stay as agency/bank staff, and the NHS pool will get smaller and smaller. As it gets smaller, and budgets are slashed, patients will be delayed or denied treatment and beds will be reduced. Services will be blocked. Wards will close and departments will merge over regions and counties rather than villages and towns. Those who can afford it will go private and those who can't will suffer and die. Then the government will blame nurses and junior doctors and anyone else it can blame, and they'll swoop in with a magical option - sell off chunks of the NHS. Sell off land. Close wards. Streamline.

Then it's gone. The NHS is gone forever.

So when they strike, they strike because £9 per hour to be responsible for ten people's lives a shift is not fair. Because charging nurses to learn and face a career being abused, beaten, spat at, dealing with human waste, death, destruction, the best and worst of people, is not right. Nurses strike because they have tried every other possible way and this is all they have left.

Please, please don't believe the media. They'll spin it and say they are causing people inconvenience, they'll say it's immigrants and whatever else. They'll drag them through the dirt, but don't believe it. Nurses will strike because if it gets through to this abhorrent, self-absorbed government, it might well save the NHS, as well as all linked public sector workers.
  • Davo the Assassin, Melchior, RedDagger and 1 other like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Grandpa.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:45 PM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 29 June 2017 - 02:47 PM.

So it looks like a new summer of discontent has begun....

I'm writing this as the new deadline for the Northern Ireland power-sharing executive arrives at zero hour and the D.U.P. propping up the Tories has added to the strain of the situation.  I doubt the deal will be done at this stage as the sticking points are too difficult to overcome, plus the D.U.P. have managed to prop up the London housing market with their billion pound grant on Number 10 Downing Street.  So that looks like it'll rumble on into the far future.  EDIT : No deal is to be done and ministers will not be appointed.

Meanwhile, at the Channel Tunnel Entrance in Folkestone :  This has kicked off removing the problem of skilled EU national remaining in the U.K. post Brexit, but leaving the Tories the vast majority of the unskilled workforce, with nothing really able to return home to.  I can't say I blame them either as the conditions and uncertainty in the U.K. are not of their causing and the media has portrayed them as 'evil E.U. residents' on more than one occasion, so why should they bother staying?  Especially since many multi-national companies are looking at new sites in the E.U. and investment in the U.K. is totally flat-lining in the optimism of Brexit!

I'm really starting to think the Tories are totally regretting the concept of Brexit, but just go with it anyway as they're so afraid of backing down now....  I mean, look at Davies after his first meeting with Barnier :

Brexit-1-1-1024x683.jpg

Barnier looks cool, composed and easy going, while Dickhead Davies looks like he's just gone 12 rounds with Anthony Joshua!  His body language in that press conference suggested he was totally frazzled, stressed and in way beyond his comfortable depth, but this was only the first meeting and an afternoon finish, not a late into the night gig which will happen later on.  It also became clear from that meeting that he totally collapsed in the talks too and meekly agreed to the entire E.U. timetable, so confidence in his future skill at the table must be brimming at Eeyore's desk!

You look at the mass exodus of skilled E.U. residents, the shrewd skill of Davies and the 'deal' Eeyore has put forward for E.U. residents remaining in the U.K. and it's clear Brexit will be nothing but an unmitigated disaster, even at this stage.  Yet, the Brexit cliff dive carries on regardless, with that 'threat' of a walk away from the Tories still hanging in the air (It's a hollow threat though as that settlement would be catastrophic for the U.K. economy and Eeyore damn well knows it!).

Yet, both Merkel and Macron have actually asked, "why is the U.K. carrying on with this stupid idea, if they rescind Article 50 there's no reason to leave?"  The Tories are having none of it as that would totally nail the last seven years of the Tories, but it might actually be their only hope....  The more the U.K. sees the deals hammered out, the more it becomes obvious the 'wonderful hope of Brexit' is like having the country as a whole swallow a cyanide pill, I feel the Europhile Tory back benchers will gather more momentum and begin to oppose the Cabinet and the Chief Dickhead himself, backed up by a reinvigorated Labour that promises to oppose everything and maintain the pressure on that tiny Tory / D.U.P majority.  As this process carries on, Scotland and N.I. will look at the crappy final offer and demand better terms, if they fail in those demands the D.U.P. will pack up and withdraw their support for the Tories and Scotland will re-ignite the Independence debate, with a greater national passion than before (I always knew there wouldn't be a 2nd vote right now, but in the next 18 months, as that deal is drawn up and looks crapper and crapper, it could well happen.  I wouldn't even be surprised if Gay Ruth herself sang from a different song sheet by then).  I still suspect the final deal will get thrown out by the Commons as a complete joke, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it looks so bad, the Government will actually let the public decide in a 'Deal Referendum!'  It sounds crazy I know, but it could be that bad even the Tories don't really want it and they could then quietly hope common sense will prevail and the U.K. population admits Brexit was a bad idea.... 

Eeyore herself remains as resolute as ever though, confident her premiership will carry on and the support of her Cabinet is steadfast, but there is a reason for that though....  No one else wants her job, no matter how inviting it looks.  She's humiliated, weak and looks increasingly redundant in the current political climate, but no one else wants the post right now as there's just too much coming to make it look even sillier than it does now!  The revolt over public sector pay, the Tory grassroots baying for blood, a hostile Commons where she knows her party is teetering on the brink, Brexit as a whole and an apparent lack of disregard and compassion for families devastated by recent tragedies, have sullied the rock-bottom approval for her Premiership and party even lower than it was at the polling booths on June 8th.  A hung Parliament looks like it was the best she was ever going to get and the next Leader of the Tories is going to have to do some serious soul searching to rebuild, but for now we maintain the 'just about managing' approach with a dead donkey at the helm and a cabinet too timid to question her captaincy as she steers us over the edge....

It's gonna be a glorious U.K. summer!

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

http://www.independe...y-a7828081.html

First time since before 1979 that a true alternative to the Tories (ignoring the clever Murdoch trick of "New Labour") has been popular despite the poisonous dripfeed of propaganda from most of the UK's print media. This is something to celebrate.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:14 AM

Even if Fleet Street recognises their biased ways, well, in the words of The Stranglers, 'there's always The Sun'.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:59 AM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 14 July 2017 - 11:48 AM.

It's the morning after the night before and the battle Lines have been drawn....

The Great Repeal Bill has been published and London has rolled the dice on current EU legislation post-Brexit, and it appears clear that the Government have not learned a jot regarding their plan for a 'Far(age)-Right' Brexit!  You would have thought that they would have got the message when they lost their majority, but apparently Eeyore and her cronies haven't noticed.

So what's the problem?  Well it's clear the Bill in it's current form is pretty much unworkable outside of London.  Both Scotland (Voted Remain) and Wales (Voted Leave) have committed to defy this Bill at every step and not ratify it at their regional level. This is because the Brexiteers promised the Regional Assemblies, more powers and an opportunity to alter their own laws where the EU regulations are changed to British Law, but the Bill mentions none of this in it's current form and instead suggests the Government will retain the powers and be able to change them without Commons approval! This is draconian in many regards....

So it appears the backlash will be harsh and the Bill is looking likely to fail, doubly so because Labour have sided with the regions and the pressure will be on the Tory Backbenchers to comply with their Government, but many are looking at this Bill and questioning their stance, doubly so the newly elected Scottish MP's who partly took their Pro-Brexit majorities with the assurance that these extra powers would be coming North. So they're looking like dubious supporters, add to that the wide swathe of Backbenchers who have always been Pro-Remain and this looks gloomier and gloomier for Eeyore.

So the target falls firmly on Northern Ireland and the Tory allies in the D.U.P. to stagger this Bill through the Commons, but N.I. has been quiet over whether it will stand with or against London due to the lack of a regional assembly. Even the few votes the D.U.P. can muster could be key for Eeyore, but even their support isn't steadfast. Northern Ireland voted to Remain in the Referendum so the D.U.P. are stuck in the uneviable position of standing for their own regional identity, or their own party line and this is infinitely more complicated for the party becuase of the deadlock with Sinn Fein over the Power-Sharing Executive. Along with all the other issues the two parties have, Sinn Fein can make it harder for the D.U.P. by forcing them to vote against the Tories before returning with them to Stormont. Even though the D.U.P. needs to get the Power-Sharing Executive running again due to their plummeting ratings and local belief Arlene Foster isn't very nice. If they are forced back to the regional polls in the Autumn (which looks more possible with every passed deadline), they could be looking at a total collapse in their seat numbers in any future Stormont Assembly and no say in any futher Power Sharing Executive.

So Eeyore and her cronies look more isolated than ever (It's reported even Rupert 'Dirty Digger' Murdoch, called Eeyore 'Toast' in front of his hacks at the Scum). This Repeal Bill could be the final nail in the coffin for the PM and the Tories, while Berniers' referral to 'the ticking clock' could darkly refer to the future of Brexit as a whole, rather than any deadlines for departure. Without this Bill we basically cannot leave and it looks like there's no realistic way this Bill could get through....

Brexit means what exactly?

SA's Most Wanted
  • SA's Most Wanted

- GTAF GFX Guy - Formerly: Jacobmaate

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [GFX]

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

This Repeal Bill could be the final nail in the coffin for the PM and the Tories.

Literally, there are times where I feel like TM really doesn't want to be PM anymore, the sh*t she says and does at times makes me question how she is still our Prime Minister, and I agree, if they continue going the way they are, they don't have much time left. Theresa is losing support massively, and well... she only has herself to blame. 

Seriously though, after screwing up the Snap General Election, you'd think that they realise that they are in crap now. No Majority, Declining Support from General Public, Opposing Parties are going against the Repeal Bill, she won't have much time left in Office if she keeps this up.

No wonder Corbyn is doing his rounds in case the Gov. collapses, mind you... It kinda already has thanks to May.

• Uncle Sikee Atric likes this

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:25 PM Edited by Finite, 14 July 2017 - 06:27 PM.

https://www.theguard...ssion-brexit-uk

The key thing here is the tax cuts.

Austerity is appalling, dangerous and wrong, we all know that. Public sector workers have had their pay frozen and then capped to pay for the bank bailouts of '08. Bailouts that protected the assets of savers. Private sector pay has followed the lead of the public sector and stagnated. Sometimes even improbably so - we have sectors where we have both a skills shortage and stagnant pay, something economic theory says is impossible (ie because someone offers 1% more and everyone goes to work there leaving the other firms to collapse).

But if austerity is a known and widely recognised problem, if hammering people's pay packets has caused an entirely predictable reduction in aggregate demand, then it's the sneaky little tax cuts and giveaways that make absolutely no sense, even in Conservative ideological terms.

Cutting money coming in while still owing massive debts makes no sense in any analogy, even those flakey analogies about household debt or not buying a pint you can't afford.

In 2014 Osborne made £10bn available for a bond issue that paid 4% and was only available to the over 65s. Governments like ours can borrow extremely cheaply, this was a giveaway to rich elderly people.

http://www.telegraph...oner-Bonds.html

It made no sense.

Even as a cynical vote-grabbing piece of bribery it made no sense - why give money to wealthy over-65s? They almost all vote Tory already.

So that could have been £10bn less debt plus the compound interest. Same with cuts to various other taxes including Corporate Tax.

It's very hard to get new taxes in. Witness the furore over the Chancellor's attempt to raise Class 4 NICs last Autumn. Witness the outrage over Theresa May's "Dementia Tax."

Good governance includes not cutting taxes that you've already got, not pissing away public money then complaining you're broke.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:33 PM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 15 July 2017 - 04:38 PM.

This Repeal Bill could be the final nail in the coffin for the PM and the Tories.

Literally, there are times where I feel like TM really doesn't want to be PM anymore, the sh*t she says and does at times makes me question how she is still our Prime Minister, and I agree, if they continue going the way they are, they don't have much time left. Theresa is losing support massively, and well... she only has herself to blame. 

There's a 'crazy scenario' that's starting to form in my head....

Eeyore has no one to stand against her for PM as it's clearly a job that'll kill the political career of any successor.  Eeyore meanwhile has already realized she is finished so instead of Brexit, she's exercising her Pro-Remain stance!

She's running Brexit knowing she has nothing to lose, but loading the dice so heavily with a deal that would be catastrophic to the UK, there's no way it'll ever get out of Westminster, let alone the UK out of the EU, no one in their right mind would take the final offered deal (Farage jumping up and down and moaning about the offers already on the table supports this theory).  Eventually Brexit will run out of steam in that air and Eeyore would never use the 'No Deal Nuke option' (She might as well actually nuke London and class it as 'Urban-Regeneration', the following recession would be that bad).

The final result of this crazy idea is : she can slowly kill off Brexit and then walk away from Number 10 shortly after, knowing she's got no political future left (she already knew that), but knowing her successor wouldn't be directly tarnished by the whole Brexit affair.

I think most Tories are coming to the conclusion they'll be the Official Opposition come the next Election, however soon that is.  So this might be the best way for them to get out of jail and start rebuilding.  Maybe Eeyore isn't as crazy as I think she is!

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

The Mogg Reese rumours say otherwise, then again it's more likely a Labour ploy. Does anyone actually think someone who is literally poison to centrists will be a vote winner?

It's a master stroke by the provocateurs, it has to be, because for it to be a real thing is too stupid for even the Tories.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 4 weeks ago

Eeyore has no one to stand against her for PM

There's really only one person who would be a legitimately good choice to replace Miss Wheat Field, and that's Ruth Davidson as she has a lot of support in the party and would be a good pick to help reform the Tories and bring them into this century.  However, I can't see it happening whilst there is this whole Brexit debacle going on, and until after the next round of Scottish elections where she'll try and knock the Circumcision Party (SNiP) off their perch.

Although on the subject of the Great C*ck Up, I can't believe that we are so many months into this whole charade and there's been about 2-3 hours of talks.  Which if any other high level meeting is anything to go by, about 75% of that will be talking about the coffee and biscuits and talking about last nights Game of Thrones.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 4 weeks ago.

Eeyore has no one to stand against her for PM

There's really only one person who would be a legitimately good choice to replace Miss Wheat Field, and that's Ruth Davidson as she has a lot of support in the party and would be a good pick to help reform the Tories and bring them into this century.  However, I can't see it happening whilst there is this whole Brexit debacle going on, and until after the next round of Scottish elections where she'll try and knock the Circumcision Party (SNiP) off their perch.

She is only an MSP (Member of the Scottish Parliament) as well, not an MP, so she's currently ineligible. 

The Scottish Tories really are caught in a Catch 22.  If they back the mother party they are going against their own pledges to secure additional domestic rights for Holyrood.  They were supposed to get them as part of the Repeal Bill and that hasn't happened (and won't for a while either, now the summer recess and silly season has kicked off in london), so the Scottish Tory MP's and the Tory MSP's are really stuck in the mire and unsure which side to back.

Davidson has warned she might back Sturgeon and refuse to support the Repeal Bill, doubly so because Wales has already pledged to do the same.      

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 4 weeks ago

You don't have to be an MP to be Prime Minister. You don't even have to be in either House to be Prime Minister. Anyone, as long as they are British (although I am not sure on this restriction), can be Prime Minister, as long as they are appointed by the House of Commons.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Doing that in the UK makes you 'Lord Protector' (as you will lead and represent the country from the House Of Lords, not the Commons) and the last one was Cromwell.

It's not really an option for British politics.

Waifus_2
  • Waifus_2

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Waifus_2, 4 weeks ago.

Theresa May had a chance in her hands and she messed up, I hope someone from the Conservative can fix up, and this doesn't change the brexit in anyway, and most likely Farage come back, from what he said

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 4 weeks ago

I hope someone from the Conservative can fix up.

The message right now is 'stand with May and support her.' None of the potential candidates have threatened a move as they will instantly ruin their political careers if they did take over. Brexit is that poisonous.

Until Eeyore herself decides enough is enough, we're stuck with her....

This doesn't change the brexit in anyway

Right, things won't change as they are currently. Brexit will carry on being the impossibly complex and unworkable mess it currently is.

A new PM would change the political agenda and standing on Brexit, but It's generally accepted the outlook will not be any brighter.

Most likely Farage come back, from what he said.

He never went away, He's still being the great twat he's always been, representing his region as an MEP.

But you can tell even he is annoyed at Brexit and I think it's dawned on him that it is a far bigger job than just shuffling funds to the NHS instead of Brussels.

His attitude has become far gloomer in recent weeks in interview and even he has confessed he can see little chance of progress without a 'transition period'.

He's such a wonderful character....
  • Tchuck likes this

Waifus_2
  • Waifus_2

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

I hope someone from the Conservative can fix up.

The message right now is 'stand with May and support her.' None of the potential candidates have threatened a move as they will instantly ruin their political careers if they did take over. Brexit is that poisonous.

Until Eeyore herself decides enough is enough, we're stuck with her....

This doesn't change the brexit in anyway

Right, things won't change as they are currently. Brexit will carry on being the impossibly complex and unworkable mess it currently is.

A new PM would change the political agenda and standing on Brexit, but It's generally accepted the outlook will not be any brighter.

Most likely Farage come back, from what he said.

He never went away, He's still being the great twat he's always been, representing his region as an MEP.

But you can tell even he is annoyed at Brexit and I think it's dawned on him that it is a far bigger job than just shuffling funds to the NHS instead of Brussels.

His attitude has become far gloomer in recent weeks in interview and even he has confessed he can see little chance of progress without a 'transition period'.

He's such a wonderful character....

Why british people says ''twat''? this is funny LMAO
but I have to disagree with you friends, Boris Johnson i.e would be way better than May, I don't like Labour Parties(so my only chance are the Conservative)and Farage would be better in Conservative Party than UKIP and he is not annoyed at brexit http://www.express.c...t-eu-referendum
I hope in next elections, the damn coservatives get back lost votes

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

But I have to disagree with you friends, Boris Johnson i.e would be way better than May.

You can say that as much as you want, but even the adulterous buffoon has backed Eeyore, so you're just as stuck as the rest of us, until the PM herself says so.

I don't like Labour Parties(so my only chance are the Conservative).

Why? If it is only Brexit you care about, Labour have committed to Brexit just as much as the Tories have, only with a slightly different manifesto outline....

Get your priorities straight.

Farage would be better in Conservative Party than UKIP and he is not annoyed at brexit http://www.express.c...t-eu-referendum

Okay, quoting the paper that is the biggest corporate donor to UKIP and owned / edited by porn baron (He owns the Television X Chain), Richard 'Dirty' Desmond.... No wonder it is posting inflammatory articles like that.

That is the sort of article that stirs the 'most indoctrinated' Facebook following. The crazed fanatics that want 'Brexit at all costs'. Sod the fact that they are the rapidly shrinking minority in British society.

Post more crap like that article and I assure you it will be picked up by the Staff in this sub-forum.

I hope in next elections, the damn conservatives get back lost votes.

(Notice I fixed your spelling error.)

Dream all you want. Until major changes in the party happen, it ain't happening.

The Tory ratings continue to plummet and show no signs of recovery. It is quite unsettling to watch, but they are getting what they deserve.
  • Tchuck likes this

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Finite, 3 weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-40734504

First thought: that's genuinely sad. It's starting to feel real, sort of. Maybe not quite yet. But anyway:

Immigration Minister Brandon Lewis was speaking as the government commissioned a "detailed assessment" of the costs and benefits of EU migrants.

The report is due to be completed in September 2018 - six months before the UK's scheduled date for leaving the EU.

But we already know EU migrants are net contributors to the economy. We already know immigration has had huge benefits for our country, and Brexit severely threatens that.

Immigration was one of the central topics of last year's EU referendum campaign, and ministers have promised to "take back control" of the UK's borders as they negotiate Brexit.

Are we living in a Black Mirror episode?!

He was also pressed on the Conservative manifesto pledge to reduce overall net migration - currently 248,000 - to the tens of thousands. He confirmed this was party policy but would not set an "arbitrary" year by which this would be achieved.

Yep. Sorry, the more I re-read this article the more insane it gets:

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said: "We will ensure we continue to attract those who benefit us economically, socially and culturally.

Yeah, that's going well. We've made ourselves seem very unwelcoming, and you only need to look at the exodus of NHS staff to other countries and the 96% drop in Nursing applications from EU countries to see that we have done EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to tell everyone "foreign" to f*ck off without explicitly saying that.

"But, at the same time, our new immigration system will give us control of the volume of people coming here - giving the public confidence we are applying our own rules on who we want to come to the UK and helping us to bring down net migration to sustainable levels."

WE ALREADY HAVE CONTROL WITHIN THE EU. It's just Westminster Governments have never bothered using those powers because they know that immigration is great for the economy.

...but the headline "Amber Rudd lies" isn't exactly news.
  • Tchuck, Raavi and Uncle Sikee Atric like this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm not going to lie, I've been shoving my head in the sand when it comes to Brexit, because this whole mess is so depressing and was so easily averted. And yet, even when no one has the first damned clue of what to do, they're still mindlessly steering us towards this colossal iceberg rather than trying to figure out some way to unf*ck the country.Well, the voters were warned, they were told time and time again about the kind of chaos this would cause, and they didn't give a sh*t. I hope our complete ruination was worth the momentary high of spiting a few Romanians.

• Tchuck and Uncle Sikee Atric like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 3 weeks ago.

What makes me smile about the whole debacle over the immigration paper is this :

The Immigration Minister, Brandon Lewis wants a complete shut door policy come March 2019.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd is more in the idea of a 'phased shift' towards new immigration policy after 2019.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson was completely in the dark about the announcement of this paper and what he wanted.  Watching that news report where he is clearly flustered and unsure was a classic BoJo moment.  (No wonder his own sister pissed of and became a Liberal Democrat!)

So if ministers themselves have three different outlooks, no common standing and no idea what they want from Brexit, how divided does that make the rest of the country? 

Also, why only now, have they just decided to start this immigration paper, that will clearly end up suggesting Brexit immigraition policy will be detrimental to the UK's economic future, instead of just after a certain referendum?  Oh yeah, that's why....  They should have run it far sooner, so it could be taken into notice before the new immigration papers are published in the Spring 2018, this paper will only report in Sept 2018, too late to influence the new policy and only 6 months before the 'magic Brexit deadline.'

Brexit looks less and less likely, with each bumbling movement the Tory top brass make.  Not because they'll stop it, just because every decision they make will poison the final deal still further to the point no one but those who breathe Farages' farts would accept it.  Even if by some miracle it all happens and we do leave, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar all don't get any of the extra powers they expected and they'll just pack up and leave London to it, I'm sure of that.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 3 weeks ago.

Another double post, sorry, but this is update worthy....

Philip Hammond opened his gob yesterday to actually try and create some clarity over the apparent confusion post March 2019 regarding Brexit and suggested ministers were fairly unified about a 'phased transition period' that must end before the next election due in 2022. (Realistically, will the commons last that long as things stand?) This is in complete contrast to the confusion of the previous few days and the apparent lack of any clear idea where they're going....

This has created an interesting point on the front page of the Telegraph, if the Commons does last that long, then the 2022 election will be a second referendum on Brexit, with MP's warning the Remain camp will have plenty of time to 'water down' any agreements over the lengthy transition period.

Meanwhile, this very interesting interview, from Malta of all places, has appeared. As Malta now winds up it's stint of the EU presidency, the PM there has had an extra layer of access to the Brexit talks. His response and chat is quite open, refreshing and another hint that the UK is royally screwing itself as the Article 50 period continues. It's a very intriguing read and his point that the discussions are heading for a 'no solution' outcome does suggest that the UK will either have to withdraw Article 50 as a failed experiment of Democracy or leave anyway, something Eeyore does keep threatening, but it's doubtful she would ever really commit to.

The right wing press keep shouting for Brexit and screaming for things to continue, but more and more evidence is beginning to pile up that Brexit is going to fail. How long will the Tories keep listening to right wing media outlets only before starting to rethink their strategy, or will Labour actually listen to voices from elsewhere within the EU and unify behind a fresh mantra that could boost their ratings still further?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 4 days ago

So it's come to this. Nigel Farage: The Motion Picture.

https://www.theguard...-is-waiting-for

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users