2,136 replies to this topic
SA's Most Wanted
  • SA's Most Wanted

Formerly: Jacobmaate

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [GFX]

Posted 6 days ago

Im sorry but, "Eeyore", Oh this has made my day.

Thanks man.

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

what did he mean by this

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Argonaut, 5 days ago.

I do wonder just how cynical May can play this election before the public start to punish her for it. Not turning up to the leader's debates and generally downplaying the manifesto is going to tear up the political capital she needs to keep the narrative on a 'Brexit mandate' (even though she's already been able to tackle the difficult starting gun).

Labour perusing an 'anti-elites' message as demonstrated today is probably their best bet for garnering support from new voters, but with 7 weeks to go? Difficult to say. The amount of grassroots support Corbyn has to deploy is what keeps my thoughts on a "Difficult to say" level rather than "pack your bags", even though I'm not expecting much in the best of circumstances.

The Lib dem's approach is alittle frustrating as their ability on occasions to punch above Labour in opposing the government is limited in appeal when considering their narrow stance on the EU. Meanwhile, UKIP is advertising themselves as a 'reminder' to Theresa May which is just a joke of an approach.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Tämän Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 5 days ago

The Corbyn "anti-elites" stance was a little too reminiscent of Trump's rants about a "rigged system" for my tastes. Not that I'd vote for someone who wants to take money out of my pocket anyway. When he talks about having the "economic elites" pull their weight, what he actually seems to mean is the middle class going on the figures he's publicly backed for bumping tax.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Grandpa.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

I do wonder just how cynical May can play this election before the public start to punish her for it. Not turning up to the leader's debates and generally downplaying the manifesto is going to tear up the political capital she needs to keep the narrative on a 'Brexit mandate' (even though she's already been able to tackle the difficult starting gun).

I do think Eeyore is being very cynical about the Leaders' debates, although I would expect her to back down later on in an almost, 'oh go on,' type of way.  Especially since now the broadcasters have agreed to carry on with her represented by an empty seat.

It's almost as if she's being dismissive of the campaigning already, like she's sure of a landslide.  She might have put the details of Brexit down and gone for the No SIngle Market route, but a lot of Leavers didn't vote for that and they're not happy.  Add to that the Care Crisis, the stripped bare NHS she is failing to help and an education plan that seems to only help those who can afford to pay to get their 11 year olds in grammar schools through tuition and you have an atmosphere for a complete backlash from everyone bar the middle classes.

I doubt she'll lose, I really do.  But she's set herself up for a far weaker win then many seem to think.

• Argonaut likes this

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

what did he mean by this

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Argonaut, 5 days ago.

The Corbyn "anti-elites" stance was a little too reminiscent of Trump's rants about a "rigged system" for my tastes. Not that I'd vote for someone who wants to take money out of my pocket anyway. When he talks about having the "economic elites" pull their weight, what he actually seems to mean is the middle class going on the figures he's publicly backed for bumping tax.

Pretty much. It's almost as if he expects to lose because at no point have I ever seen him actually take the approach of "I understand that you do business here but you have to understand where I'm coming from" which saw Labour turn around it's image in the 90s. One-sided "tear it all down" rhetoric isn't going to earn him my vote.

I do think Eeyore is being very cynical about the Leaders' debates, although I would expect her to back down later on in an almost, 'oh go on,' type of way.  Especially since now the broadcasters have agreed to carry on with her represented by an empty seat.

It's almost as if she's being dismissive of the campaigning already, like she's sure of a landslide.  She might have put the details of Brexit down and gone for the No SIngle Market route, but a lot of Leavers didn't vote for that and they're not happy.  Add to that the Care Crisis, the stripped bare NHS she is failing to help and an education plan that seems to only help those who can afford to pay to get their 11 year olds in grammar schools through tuition and you have an atmosphere for a complete backlash from everyone bar the middle classes.

I doubt she'll lose, I really do.  But she's set herself up for a far weaker win then many seem to think.

I'd take a rough guess of between 25-60 seats at best, even at this very early stage. I'll think the Labour vote will either be squeezed and shared between other parties with a bias to hers or it'll be vaporized and divided between Pro-EU / Brexit parties.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 5 days ago

While the polls do look favourable to the Tories, let's not forget that UK polls have a tendency to be bad. On average, UK polls are 5 points off the mark a week before the election/referendum. It should be noted, that the polls predicted it would be a toss up for Brexit two days prior to the referendum, and that Trump's victory in the US was within the margin of error.

Another important factor to note is the shy Tory factor. Indeed, UK polls tend to skew in Labour's favour - or to be more precise against the Tories. They more often than not underestimate the Tories.

Sure, that might seem even more in May's favour, but they don't always swing that way.

As the article correctly points out, public opinion in the UK can change fast. People's response to opinion polling lately may have been found in a sense of them not expecting a general election any time soon, but once their votes are actually asked for, they may shift position.

Plus, there is a campaign to be held. And believe it or not, political campaigns actually shift elections.

SA's Most Wanted
  • SA's Most Wanted

Formerly: Jacobmaate

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [GFX]

Posted 3 days ago Edited by SA's Most Wanted, 3 days ago.

Well, apparently Corbyn is pushing to add an extra 4 Bank Holidays each year.

Oh, and Happy St. Georges Day.

Spoiler

EDIT: Just heard that J.Corbyn 'Isnt ready to have ISIL leader killed'. Well this is very interesting indeed.

Now lets say, hypothetically, Labour wins, Corbyn becomes our P.M. and he starts withdrawing troops from the ground who are training rebel groups and/or Navy & Air Force personnell from the reigion or whatever, not sure how Parliament would be witht that, but like I said, Hypothetical. This in a way, would make our relationship with Trump worse right?

I mean considering how hihgly opionionated that guy is on many things, and how much he yaps on about taking ISIL head on, I mean you only need to look at the crap he has been doing lately to see he isnt exactly planning on messing around with them.

But Corbyn being so against the use of miltary action, including being against the Trident Nuclear Defence System we have in place, I mean I cant imagine him and Trump getting on well, and part of me feels like May & Trump are only as close as they are, because she wants the relationship between the U.K. & the U.S. to stand strong, in thehope that Trump will indeed see the U.K. through trade wise, because of us leaving the E.U.

I mean I could go on and on, but I'd eventually start going off-topic to what I was talking about, so going back to the whole statement Corbyn made with regard to the ISIL Leader, I just want to mention this:

Considering, (If I remember rightly), not too long ago, I was reading something regarding British Opinion on Intervention in the Middle East (more specificially, Military Intevention agaisnt ISIL), and the majority believed that we should be over there, both dealing with ISIL, and helping the civillians who are still out there.

For the life of me, I dont remember the source, but now that Ive heard this from Corbyn, its making me think.

Will people be happy with this, as in to think, oh he isnt messing around, and hence Britian might be slightly less of a target because of this, or will people be unhappy with this, as in to think, oh he clearly doesnt want to intervene and take out the leader of ISIL, etc.

Thats the problem with talking about terror-related issues, it seems to get everyone on edge, and actually leave many divided, then again, Politics does divide a lot of people anyway, but you get what I mean.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users