Photo

Why GTA SanAndreas is the best game ever made

177 replies to this topic
TheDamnTrainCJ
  • TheDamnTrainCJ

Snitch

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:50 PM Edited by TheDamnTrainCJ, 03 June 2015 - 06:34 PM.

-10 years old and people are still playing it (as you can see in SAMP, the number of players rises every year)

-When you've paid for this game back then, you probably paid 50 bucks. Best spent money ever! ( Today you pay 60 bucks for a Fifa game and after a year you trash it)

-Since people are developing awesome mods which gets better and better, i think this game will stay updated forever

-It runs on high settings on every PC. I remember when i had GTA 4 for PC, it lagged as hell and my PC was pretty good for 2009.

• lastmanonearth, Official General, Rented and 22 others like this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

-10 years old and people are still playing it (as you can see in SAMP, the number of players rises every year)

-When you've paid for this game back then, you probably paid 50 bucks. Best spent money ever! ( Today you pay 60 bucks for a Fifa game and after a year you trash it)

-Since poople are developingawesome mods which gets better and better, i think this game will stay updated forever

-It runs with high settings on every PC. I remember when i had GTA 4 for PC, it lagged as hell and my PC was pretty good for 2009. Doesn't want to know what GTA V will require. ( with ENB series lol)

1) people are still playing ET and that is like 30 years old and crap

2) FIFA actually has a decent camera year after year. San Andreas I can barely see where I am driving because the default camera is behind the car

3) Updating the graphics isnt going to do anything about the boring missions 

4+5) Pong runs pretty good on my PC

I personally hate San Andreas and think its a tedious piece of crap but if people can find enjoyment from it then all the power to you.

• Laura91, undertaker fan, GAMIR_GTA and 2 others like this

LeonTheKiller
  • LeonTheKiller

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:52 AM

^

Haters gonna hate. If you don't like the game then just stop playing it.

• Abel., Davve95, latigreblue and 9 others like this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

^

Haters gonna hate. If you don't like the game then just stop playing it.

This game ruined my childhood. I have a right to complain; I payed £29.99 for it. 

• slimeball supreme and graciellenebres like this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

Delicate children should not be playing the game.
People without gaming skills often find a game boring when they fail many times while playing.
It was 59.99$US when I purchased mine.
It was also the first game where the main character did not drown when ankle deep in water, and could step over a high curb.
  • GTA50killer, Dblcut3, latigreblue and 8 others like this

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:09 AM

$100,00 could be paid for this game and it'd still be worth it.

My all-time favorite game and unlikely to ever be topped by any. Just about everything was done right in the GTA series here for me. From the setting to the soundtrack to characters, the map, storyline, features and everything in between. I must've finished the game >50 times by now.

• Mister Pink, Sunrise Driver, LeonTheKiller and 13 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:12 AM Edited by Osho, 19 December 2014 - 07:31 AM.

Finally! A topic to discuss this. :^:

I've plenty of reasons, but too much to contribute in one post!
So, I'll start off with the most important things; the amount of FREEDOM and CHOICES. A wonderful combination that offers tons of interesting things one can do, and experience in the type of brilliant game world they created with limited hardware, in taking full advantage of the resources to provide an outstanding adventure, one can spend most of his time, and even years to come, on enjoying all the cool stuff without looking at any other game(s) that really failed to tap on a lot of potential to impress us further.
A truly open ended sandbox experience where you, as the player, can follow your own rules --like you were used to with GTA VC, III, and even GTA 2 --to create scripts of your own fun, that makes the game a lot interesting to replay, again, and again.
A very significant portion of the mission design is free from the tyranny of the game designers limiting players in their choices for the progression. Instead, you will see simple detailed, and highly open world with freedom to do whatever you wish, and as you want, which continuously increases with every block on the map you unlock.
There's a very impressive list of what you can unlock but what's even more impressive is the amount of fun in playing them.
No DLC bullsh*t.
An impressive SAMP multiplayer to extend your stay and possibilities of fun as well.
And that's really the gist of it.

E:
Oh! and the amazing variety of mods from talented, and creative modders make this game an absolute masterpiece. I've seen many people hating this game for graphics, details, controls, and other issues which can be easily solved by stop playing on the Consoles, and switch to PC. Same thing applies for every old game. Its idiotic, and simply stupid to complain about such issues after 10 years when one can easily enjoy on PC that provides a lot of easy improvements, while giving you other benefits to try, and experience the game with a fresh perspective as well along with the possibilities to modify, tweak, and fix the games further.
  • Mister Pink, lil weasel, Flesh-n-Bone and 5 others like this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

So, I'll start off with the most important things; the amount of FREEDOM and CHOICES. A wonderful combination that offers tons of interesting things one can do, and experience in the type of brilliant game world they created with limited hardware, in taking full advantage of the resources to provide an outstanding adventure, one can spend most of his time, and even years to come, on enjoying all the cool stuff without looking at any other game(s) that really failed to tap on a lot of potential to impress us further.
A truly open ended sandbox experience where you, as the player, can follow your own rules --like you were used to with GTA VC, III, and even GTA 2 --to create scripts of your own fun, that makes the game a lot interesting to replay, again, and again.
A very significant portion of the mission design is free from the tyranny of the game designers limiting players in their choices for the progression. Instead, you will see simple detailed, and highly open world with freedom to do whatever you wish, and as you want, which continuously increases with every block on the map you unlock.
There's a very impressive list of what you can unlock but what's even more impressive is the amount of fun in playing them.
No DLC bullsh*t.
An impressive SAMP multiplayer to extend your stay and possibilities of fun as well.

E:
Oh! and the amazing variety of mods from talented, and creative modders make this game an absolute masterpiece. I've seen many people hating this game for graphics, details, controls, and other issues which can be easily solved by stop playing on the Consoles, and switch to PC. Same thing applies for every old game. Its idiotic, and simply stupid to complain about such issues after 10 years when one can easily enjoy on PC that provides a lot of easy improvements, while giving you other benefits to try, and experience the game with a fresh perspective as well along with the possibilities to modify, tweak, and fix the games further.

The choices and freedom in SA is merely illusion. Infact most of the 'freedom' is actually very restrictive. For example, you HAVE to eat. That's annoying. There is customization but so what? You can do that in most games nowadays. Also, you are just going to pick the outfit tatoos that gives you the most amount of sex appeal and respect, so its again restricting. So there you have 4 buildings in the game (barbers, tattoo parlour, clothing and food restaurants) that dont do anything except in a certain scenario. Besides, the actual customization is non existent. You can select from a pre determined range of cloths, but you cant modify them. 

There are some mini games eg pool and arcade games but so what? The internet has thousands of these that are better. 

There is an RPG system but does that give you freedom? Actually it does the opposite. I cant choose to disable it. Instead the missions get very easy because the RPG system effectively does everything for you. 

The mission chronology is linear and unskippable. How many people moaned at drive school and flight school? How about I just not do it? How about choosing which missions I want do do? How about being able to actually influence the plot with my own decisions? None of this exists. 

In SA you have the freedom to explore a dull map with 3 almost identical boring cities. 

• ExTerminator likes this

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

No DLC bullsh*t.

E:

The choices and freedom in SA is merely illusion. Infact most of the 'freedom' is actually very restrictive. For example, you HAVE to eat. That's annoying. There is customization but so what? You can do that in most games nowadays. Also, you are just going to pick the outfit tatoos that gives you the most amount of sex appeal and respect, so its again restricting. So there you have 4 buildings in the game (barbers, tattoo parlour, clothing and food restaurants) that dont do anything except in a certain scenario. Besides, the actual customization is non existent. You can select from a pre determined range of cloths, but you cant modify them. 

There are some mini games eg pool and arcade games but so what? The internet has thousands of these that are better. 

There is an RPG system but does that give you freedom? Actually it does the opposite. I cant choose to disable it. Instead the missions get very easy because the RPG system effectively does everything for you. 

The mission chronology is linear and unskippable. How many people moaned at drive school and flight school? How about I just not do it? How about choosing which missions I want do do? How about being able to actually influence the plot with my own decisions? None of this exists. 

In SA you have the freedom to explore a dull map with 3 almost identical boring cities. 

You already said the game ruined your childhood. Stop posting hate, this isn't the topic for that.

OT: Osho, another great post. You took the words right out of my mouth.

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

Perennials, Perennials everywhere!

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:45 PM Edited by HeroBrineR007, 19 December 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Don't talk bullsh*t.

You don't have to eat. You don't need tattoos for sex appeal just collect the damn oysters.

In missions you self do the most part.

Bullsh*t. There has NEVER been a game where YOU decide what missions you can do or change the story line.

Dull map... stfu
  • Sunrise Driver, latigreblue, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

Don't talk bullsh*t.

You don't have to eat. You don't need tattoos for sex appeal just collect the damn oysters.

In missions you self do the most part.

Bullsh*t. There has NEVER been a game where YOU decide what missions you can do or change the story line.

Dull map... stfu

Actually VC you could select which businesses you wanted to complete to advance to the final mission. 

So your advice for sex appeal is to painstakingly search around for oysters for hours on end? This is another reason I hate the game; its missions seem to be a drive and fetch. Any gun slinging missions are made ridiculously easy because by the end of the game your max health is near maxed out as is your guns. It's a joke. 

The game is way too easy and would be completable in a day or 2 if it wasn't for the deliberate speed bumps that are drive & flight school and the countryside/dessert. 

• Videogames888 likes this

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hours to collect?!? It takes 30 minutes if you're slow. 20 minutes max.

And driving school isn't required. Why are people bothered with that when not going for 100%?!?

And seriously though, if you can't complete flying school, you must be a real flying noob
  • SarahPilko, GTA50killer and Concavax like this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

Well I remember getting it in 2010, walked into a gamestore and there was still lots of ps2 games on offer, there was a whole wall of San Andreas covers, they were literally screaming for people to buy the game before they went off the shelves forever. Thus began my journey with this game.
It holds many cherished memories for a lot of us, that time of opening the game cover, unfolding the map and exclaiming Whoooaaaa look at the size of that map!!" Then loading it up and experiencing what it may have been like, to be in 1992 in the shoes of a gang member.
It's all about that time you recall, of innocent discovery of new places on the map, things to do like experimenting with different clothes, car colours and wheels, swimming underwater and realising that there's even more space on the map down there too, meeting the different game characters and remembering the hard missions and preparing for it better the next time you play. That's the other great thing about San Andreas - replayability. There's so many different varieties of how you can complete most of the missions and it's fun to always try something different the next time.
There's also many secrets that this game holds and that even nearly ten years later, someone discovers you can get a funky motorbike during a mission with Big Smoke.
I'm sure in the years to come, others will find new, undiscovered secrets that are waiting to be revealed.
How it all fits on the disc is like witchcraft.
  • Mister Pink, Tikhung, Concavax and 3 others like this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

Yes, San Andreas was indeed worth the money. It's one of the first GTA Games, let alone Sandbox World which offered a lot of choices and freedom to the players. Tattos, Haircuts, Modding, Low Riders were fun and missions along the freedom of having a great script/storyline just added to the fun. Also, after completing the SP mode, you didn't have to go to Online mode for fun. There was much to offer. After 10 years, people may find stuff to be lame. But, for a game that old San Andreas surpasses GTA V in a lot of things.
  • SmokesWithCigs, SimonStudios, CptAngel and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

Like it or not San Andreas is definitely one of the most influential games ever made.

There are others I like more obviously, but there's a reason people still play it after all these years.
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36, Tikhung, Concavax and 6 others like this

TheFlareEntercounter
  • TheFlareEntercounter

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

$100,00 could be paid for this game and it'd still be worth it.

My all-time favorite game and unlikely to ever be topped by any. Just about everything was done right in the GTA series here for me. From the setting to the soundtrack to characters, the map, storyline, features and everything in between. I must've finished the game >50 times by now.

I did pay 100$ for the game and it was worth it. The game made my childhood.

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Did you really?!? LOL!

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Was A Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Best gta, i have bought it on

Ps2
Pc
Xbox 360 (original and remastered)
Iphone

So 5 times haha!

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

Cheats. Instant muscle, instant fat, no need to eat, instant skinny, pretty much disabling it.

lol232
  • lol232

Rise From the Ashes

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:44 AM Edited by lol232, 21 December 2014 - 09:47 PM.

-10 years old and people are still playing it (as you can see in SAMP, the number of players rises every year) Rising every year? Not really. If anything it's falling recently.
-When you've paid for this game back then, you probably paid 50 bucks. Best spent money ever! ( Today you pay 60 bucks for a Fifa game and after a year you trash it) No, no I don't. I don't like FIFA at all, or football for that matter.
-Since poople are developingawesome mods which gets better and better, i think this game will stay updated forever Too bad they aren't available on PS2 and XBOX. Mods are irrelevant for that matter, F.E. if you use argument "GTA SA HAVE JETPACKS" and then I say "GTA IV HAS A BETTER STORY AND BETTER GRAPHICS!" you'd probably say "YOU CAN INSTALL ENB FOR GTA SA FOR GRAPHICS!" and then I could say "YOU COULD INSTALL JETPACK MOD FOR GTA IV!!!". That argument could last forever.
-It runs with high settings on every PC. I remember when i had GTA 4 for PC, it lagged as hell and my PC was pretty good for 2009. Doesn't want to know what GTA V will require. ( with ENB series lol) A lot of old ass games run well on new PC's. GTA SA runs like sh*t for me, on a very high end PC. GTA IV runs perfectly well on my PC on highest settings.

My 2 cents.

Not even hating on GTA SA this time, but your arguments are sh*t.
  • Bender, Videogames888 and Shermhead like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

And driving school isn't required. Why are people bothered with that when not going for 100%?!?

....But it is.  You can't proceed with the final few missions in San Fierro without completing Driving School.  All 4 Schools (Driving, Flying, Boating, Biking) are required for 100%...

In IV, TLaD, TBoGT, and V, you can alter the outcome of the game as they have different endings for certain choices you make during the Story.

You really should experience ALL GTA, instead of just VC and SA. :p

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

I mean many people don't go for 100% but they still think Driving School is required

leaflinks
  • leaflinks

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

I only recently got San Andreas for the Xbox for £5 on Amazon UK. I waited a while for a copy so cheap. They were usually £10 or more a year back or more.

I like this copy a touch better than when I owned a working PS2 over two years back.

I do own the PC copy for two modification addons only.

My critic of the xbox copy is the control layout isn't as comfortable as the PS2.

EpicGamerIsEpic
  • EpicGamerIsEpic

Gta Pro

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:26 PM Edited by EpicGamerIsEpic, 21 December 2014 - 06:27 PM.

San Andreas will always remain my favorite GTA game. Hell, I still play it to this day.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:56 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 21 December 2014 - 08:00 PM.

My 2 cents, for what its worth:

I am a huge GTA fanboy, at least pre-GTA IV, but that is another whole conversation. The fact that this game is a decade old, with decade-old technology, graphics, and resources is a testament to its greatness in that it is still remarkably playable. I still can't get enough of III, VC, and SA. In fact, the main reason I am now such a huge Saint's Row fan is because the first three games play like San Andreas sequels on the next gen of consoles. I still have the ability to get completely lost in the huge map of San Andreas. 

People hating on the story and career missions should take a moment to realize that a game like this, to be truly enjoyed, has to be graded on a huge technological curve to a large extent. To me, all the great PS3/360 games that I love best now, all seem like they embody at least some of the great parts of San Andreas: Just Cause 2, SR, SR2, SR3, SRIV, even Burnout Paradise, all borrow some of their ideas, hell, many of their ideas, from San Andreas.

Honestly? In my opinion. nothing Rockstar has done with GTA since SA, LCS, and VCS, can hold the smallest candle to San Andreas. I know some people consider the missions boring and linear in SA, but you know what? Its only because the PS2 was so limiting and the game was so incredibly huge, demanding seemingly more than the console could ever give to it. To me, though, San Andreas is analogous to those great Bogart and Marylin Monroe movies. Sure they can't compete in technology or special effects to today's movies, but WOW if you can get past the old fashioned cinematography of those films made long before our time, man can you come away with an  unfathomably delicious experience.

San Andreas may be the videogame equivalent of black and white movies, given how fast technology evolves, but there is more sheer joy in this game, even now, than probably 99% of the games out there that are "technically superior" in every way. I know GTA IV and V are blockbusters and the fanbase loves them. But I have ALWAYS lamented the fact that regardless of V being set in "Los Santos," it has never, ever felt like a true sequel to San Andreas to me. For GTA, at least for me, San Andreas sits atop the pinnacle of what makes a sandbox game truly and remarkably great. Yes, sometimes for the first few minutes of play, before my eyes adjust, the game can be a bit of an eyesore. But after that, once I begin to once again get completely lost in it, I start to realize that the old saying is wrong. Because you really can come home.

• Flesh-n-Bone, LeonTheKiller, Killerman29 and 9 others like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

I've played GTA: San Andreas for the first time in 2005, and its innovation blown me away. Now, almost 10 years later, I'm still playing it (I've almost finished the storyline - next mission: "Riot" - and I am at 80% completion since I always do the vehicule side-missions at the end), and even though it came out a decade ago it still makes me yell "Woah!"

Really, the cities are awesomely designed, the countryside and desert areas are suggestive, the 90s atmosphere is perfectly depicted, and the storyline is funny and enjoyable in my opinion.

I think people are wrong when they compare GTA: San Andreas with today's video games, it's actually more innovative than many new games out there if you ask me, but for its time it was something almost impossible to realize, and I'm still surprised to see how Rockstar managed to get thinks work in such a smooth way. Of course, I'm not considering graphics, which I find pretty nice in GTA: San Andreas to be honest, in fact one of the things I enjoy most is flying the Dodo, or whatever other planes, and select the cinematic camera while I contemplate the panorama, so chill! Many people complained about the draw distance, but I really liked it, it adds a lot of beauty and mystery to the game's world.

I think GTA: San Andreas deserves the love it receives, and I believe there's a justified reason to think so.
  • latigreblue, Osho, MorsPrincipiumEst and 1 other like this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

I think what makes it a great game is the fact that the map isn't totally unlocked from day one and as you progress through the missions it starts opening up new areas that you haven't seen before. Like after The Green Sabre when CJ gets dumped out in Angel Pine I remember the first time I was like "Whoa what the heck is going on here?" That feeling of being lost out in an uncharted region and exploring. Of course you can also have fun trying to get into restricted parts of the map too and risk getting blown out the sky by hydras.
  • CptAngel likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:31 AM

It is remarkable that a decade old game is still so heavily played. That is what made San Andreas such a great game and remains on of my personal favourites.

Raiden1018
  • Raiden1018

Stay golden, Ponyboy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

- The mission structure

-The diversity of the world

-Endless activities

-Characters

-Easter eggs

-Vehicles

-Story

• Dr3amk1lla5280 likes this

Mac4167
  • Mac4167

Carolina Born and Bread

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

Greatest game ever made IMO. Even with GTAO on PS4, I find myself resorting back to my PS2 to play SA for hours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users