Ways to improve the storyline of GTA San Andreas

112 replies to this topic
watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

San Andreas is my favorite game of the whole series. But I feel that the storyline could and should have been better. Here are the improvements I think the storyline should have.

- Big Bear, B-Dup, and Emmet should've had bigger roles in the game. They should've been supporting characters of the Los Santos missions since Emmet was the one who was there for the Grove Street Families and offers some antique weapons.

- LB should've made an appearance in the game. Ryder mentions him numerous of times and we never get to see him. Maybe CJ could do missions for LB.

- Ryder should've stayed CJ's friend and Big Smoke should've been the only one who betrayed CJ. It would be better if the "jerk" was the one who stayed loyal to the gang and the "good guy" was the one who betrayed the gang. That would add in the irony of the storyline.

- There should've been at least a flashback of Brian's demise showing how he died. CJ did say that he let Brian die. It would be cool if we actually played a flashback mission of the game. Imagine that.

Well, I'm still thinking of more improvements. I know there is still more that needs to be improved (name what you think could improve the story if you have any), but otherwise, what do you think of these improvements?

• Blingy, Mr. Jago, Dblcut3 and 6 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:24 AM

I have some things that could potentially make it more realistic/grounded.

-Taking out all of the missions that don't make sense for a gangster game, such as Black Project, the Flight School missions, etc.

-Added more depth to Big Smoke's betrayal. It seems like he doesn't have any motives for going to the Ballas, it just seems like his reasons are "Tenpenny and the Ballas will pay me well!" But is that really his reason for going to the rival gang? Maybe if his reasons were "The Families just aren't there anymore. The ballas have taken over the "market", and they get all of the money in. The Families are losing the gang war, and I want to be successful, even if it means betraying my homies."

I think that would be a better reason for Big Smoke betraying the Families.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:09 AM

Culling the history a bit, maling CJ react to Tempenny and Pulaski way sooner .

I think that would be a better reason for Big Smoke betraying the Families.

The end really clears things up, when you see him in his mansion/crack palace/hideout it really makes really clear why he did all, ryder's betrayal on the other hand still makes no sense.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

@7thOne: Remove jetpack and other fun missions? How about NOPE. Lol you IV fanboys are sooo serious. It's a f*cking video game, not a tragic drama like IV. That's why IV was so boring. Sure, those missions were stupid, but fun.

Op you are right, Ryder shouldn't have betrayed, only BS. R should have been with CJ in S.F. That would have been epic. Why you messed it up R*....
  • Gigs84 likes this

SimonStudios
  • SimonStudios

Rat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:54 AM Edited by Simon L. Lezin, 16 December 2014 - 09:56 AM.

- Sweet should get a pass when CJ at the same time was in San Fierro or on the desert.

- Big Bear should play a bigger role in the game (as in beta).

- The storyline of the last thread in Los Santos should be (according to me) a little bit longer than that which is in the final version of the game.

- Ryder should not betray us but if he did not do it the story would be more interesting.

- In the last mission Tenpenny should be killed by CJ.

• PenisCatcher likes this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

The problem isnt so much the storyline as it is the missions, the map and the gameplay. The plot gets lost in the huge empitness of San Andreas. 

IMO they should just get rid off the c*ntryside west of Los Santos and the desserts. 

Also get rid off the stupid flight school and the stupid mini games, which just act as a speed bump.

Niko Montana
  • Niko Montana

Gangsta

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

• Instead of killing Hernandez, they should have had him betray Tenpenny and Pulaski and join CJ & Friends to expose C.R.A.S.H. 
  • Having Big Smoke & Tenpenny killed in separate missions. Links in with what I have said above
  • Remove Flying School missions. 
  • Add more depth to Smoke's betrayal. Like The7thOne said, there should have been a better reason for his betrayal of The Grove Street Families.
  • Add more depth to B-Dup & Big Bear and the whole crack epidemic in Los Santos, seeing as it was a major part in SA's storyline.
  • More Mafia related missions in Las Venturas. Would seriously aid LVs atmosphere.
  • More depth to Salvatore Leone. He was seriously underdeveloped in SA.
  • Tyla likes this

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:42 PM Edited by Stoney0503, 16 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.

- CJ should of been less of a bitch to Tenpenny and Catalina.

- More Mafia missions, those were my favorite missions

- Tommy Vercetti.

- Ryder stays on GSF

-An actual f*cking reason why CJ can't goto SF or LV, all you get is Hernandez saying "dont go ther plz".

-Did Claude even need to be here? Never explained how Catalina met Claude

-Characters barely used at all, for example: Emmet, Big Bear, Salvatore Leone, etc.

-Less of those pointless missions, such as 'Monster' or 'Wrong side of the tracks'

Am I the only one who thought the flight school missions were useful? I found flying quite difficult in SA untill I did the flight school

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

- Tommy Vercetti.

- Ryder stays on GSF

-An actual f*cking reason why CJ can't goto SF or LV, all you get is Hernandez saying "dont go ther plz".

-Characters barely used at all, for example: Emmet, Big Bear, Salvatore Leone, etc.

-Less of those pointless missions, such as 'Monster' or 'Wrong side of the tracks'

Am I the only one who thought the flight school missions were useful? I found flying quite difficult in SA untill I did the flight school

Yeah. Toreno tells CJ that they're the key mission to his brother's freedom from prison (even though I have no idea what flying has to do with CJ getting his brother out of jail). And yes, 'Monster' was by far the most pointless mission of the game. At least 'Wrong Side of the Tracks', while still being pointless as well, provided some comedy.

SimonStudios
  • SimonStudios

Rat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

Toreno tells CJ that they're the key mission to his brother's freedom from prison (even though I have no idea what flying has to do with CJ getting his brother out of jail). And yes, 'Monster' was by far the most pointless mission of the game. At least 'Wrong Side of the Tracks', while still being pointless as well, provided some comedy.

If the flight school would not be in SA is to complete these missions as NOE, Freefall and Vertical Bird would be virtually impossible to pass.

When it comes to mission Monster, Toreno just wanted to "check" CJ in the sense of how he is doing in the off-road. This mission was also in order to introduce players to the new countryside which is Tierra Robada, because this is the first mission that we do in this county, and CJ surely was not here before. And when it comes to the mission Wrong Side of the Tracks, as we will reach at Unity Station Big Smoke will tell you that some Vagos want to make a deal (probably drugs) from San Fierro Rifa gang just accommodating in that city. However, I do not understand one. Why is this mission could not be made somewhere in the middle of the plot together with Cesar Vialpando after betrayal Big Smoke only just when SF and LV for us was still locked? So it makes no sense to this mission because even have time to kill (or rather the Big Smoke) all Vagos train and so it penetrates through the f*cking wall O.o

• Yo boy likes this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

After completing Breaking The Bank at Caligulas, I felt that this mission should have been the 2nd last mission. There wasn't much left to do except kill Big Smoke and Tenpenny. I disliked the whole 'take back the hood' thread of missions. I know one thing, if I were a gangster and just got $100,000 I'd be like f**k the hood man, I'm staying here in Las Venturas. $100,000 was a lot of money back in 1992.

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

Perennials, Perennials everywhere!

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

After completing Breaking The Bank at Caligulas, I felt that this mission should have been the 2nd last mission. There wasn't much left to do except kill Big Smoke and Tenpenny. I disliked the whole 'take back the hood' thread of missions. I know one thing, if I were a gangster and just got $100,000 I'd be like f**k the hood man, I'm staying here in Las Venturas. $100,000 was a lot of money back in 1992.

At the time you get to Breaking the bank at Caligula's you should already have 200k or so.

If you did also get all collectables and side missions you already have around 1,7 million lol

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:10 AM

- Tommy Vercetti.

- Ryder stays on GSF

Yeah. Toreno tells CJ that they're the key mission to his brother's freedom from prison (even though I have no idea what flying has to do with CJ getting his brother out of jail). And yes, 'Monster' was by far the most pointless mission of the game. At least 'Wrong Side of the Tracks', while still being pointless as well, provided some comedy.

He had to learn how to fly because he needed to do some flight related tasks for Toreno, E.G steal a Hydra.

hot-temper27
  • hot-temper27

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:47 PM Edited by hot-temper27, 17 December 2014 - 05:47 PM.

Great improvements. Here are some more

-Get rid of any mission that makes no sense, such as "Black Project", "Green Goo", and "Deconstruction" (Seriously? Bury a foreman alive just for calling your sister a hooker? I mean if he were to sexually harass her, then I would understand.)

-Have your homies fight in gang wars with you (and actually be f*cking useful too). I mean it's pretty f*cking pathetic how Sweet complains about the hood falling apart when CJ is the one doing all the work on his own.

-Big Smoke's betrayal should've had more depth. I mean CJ's all upset that Smoke sold him out and by the time he's rich, he all of a sudden forgets about him and decides to move away from the hood without even getting revenge on Smoke until Sweet coerces him to move back into the hood.

And for those who say that there should be more Mafia missions, they really didn't need any more Mafia-related missions in a ghetto-themed game. There was enough of that in the other GTA games.

• Mr. Jago, Journey_95, The7thOne and 1 other like this

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

And for those who say that there should be more Mafia missions, they really didn't need any more Mafia-related missions in a ghetto-themed game. There was enough of that in the other GTA games.

But Ghetto Styled missions were like 20% of the entire game.

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

But Ghetto Styled missions were like 20% of the entire game.

You just pointed out another improvement for the storyline.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

I liked the story for what it was.  It was not about gang-banging, it was about a gangbanger.  Some of the suggestions do suggest that perhaps some players didn't understand the story that well in the first place.  'Wrong Side of the Tracks' was about the Vargos reaching out for help from SF affiliates.  That's also related to the dude CJ kills in the fire when he meets Denise.  Tenpenny used CJ to weaken all the LS gangs so that Tenpenny (and Smoke) could take them over.

In every GTA, there is that mission where your protagonist kills someone likable or innocent. Also, by the end of the Mafia missions, CJ's brother is still in jail and the men who killed his mums are still running around.  I would say that's enough reason to go back.  

If you want to learn more about Salvatore Leone, check out GTA III and GTA: Liberty City Stories.

• LeonTheKiller, OneManCrimeWave and GreenOnions like this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

Black Project should have been made a lot tougher. I mean seriously, being dropped right outside the gate? Area 51 in real life they have camo dudes on the surrounds with sniper rifles. They should have made it that CJ is dropped off a long way from the gate and has to sneak to the complex, while avoiding the camo dudes. It should have been a huge effort just making it into Area 69.

Paul723
  • Paul723

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

For all you people saying that certain missions needed to be taken out, how about this. Instead of getting rid of those missions, they should make it where they actually make f*cking sense. For example, the Black Project mission should've been more challenging to make it seem a lot less over-the-top. Like the other guy said, it should've been where CJ has to actually sneak his way through the gate instead of being simply dropped off there. With Deconstruction, they should've make it where the construction workers actually tried to rape Kendl and sexually harassed her. That would be a better reason to bury a foreman alive. Also, more days should've elapsed with the flight school. There's no way in hell that CJ would learn all the lessons within days. It should've been one lesson per day. That would make it more realistic. Also, Sweet should bee helping CJ with the gang wars. He's saying that the hood needs to be taken back, but he doesn't do sh*t but complain. Also, Ryder's missions need to be better conceived. I mean in his last mission, after CJ just loaded the truck with weapons, CJ tells Ryder to toss the crates at the soldiers chasing them. Seriously? Waste all the weapons you collected just to hold off the guards? I agree with all the other improvements of the OP.

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

For all you people saying that certain missions needed to be taken out, how about this. Instead of getting rid of those missions, they should make it where they actually make f*cking sense. For example, the Black Project mission should've been more challenging to make it seem a lot less over-the-top. Like the other guy said, it should've been where CJ has to actually sneak his way through the gate instead of being simply dropped off there. With Deconstruction, they should've make it where the construction workers actually tried to rape Kendl and sexually harassed her. That would be a better reason to bury a foreman alive. Also, more days should've elapsed with the flight school. There's no way in hell that CJ would learn all the lessons within days. It should've been one lesson per day. That would make it more realistic. Also, Sweet should bee helping CJ with the gang wars. He's saying that the hood needs to be taken back, but he doesn't do sh*t but complain. Also, Ryder's missions need to be better conceived. I mean in his last mission, after CJ just loaded the truck with weapons, CJ tells Ryder to toss the crates at the soldiers chasing them. Seriously? Waste all the weapons you collected just to hold off the guards? I agree with all the other improvements of the OP.

Are you suggesting that burying someone alive for wolf whistling is a bit over the top?

Paul723
  • Paul723

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:16 AM

Are you suggesting that burying someone alive for wolf whistling is a bit over the top?

Exactly. Seriously, it would be more reasonable if the construction workers would try to sexually harass Kendl, then that would be a good reason to bury the foreman alive.

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:54 AM

I agree with all these improvements, especially the third one. Another improvement that needs to be made is the ghetto theme needs to be used more. I'm not saying that it should be focused on only that, but it should be more missions in Los Santos, and the return in the city didn't really do much. Also, it should be CJ getting Sweet out of jail first, take back the hood through the riot, then become a millionaire, because let's face it. It's pathetic as f*ck to go back to the ghetto when you're already rich as f*ck.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

I agree with all these improvements, especially the third one. Another improvement that needs to be made is the ghetto theme needs to be used more. I'm not saying that it should be focused on only that, but it should be more missions in Los Santos, and the return in the city didn't really do much. Also, it should be CJ getting Sweet out of jail first, take back the hood through the riot, then become a millionaire, because let's face it. It's pathetic as f*ck to go back to the ghetto when you're already rich as f*ck.

That's what I thought too, after Breaking the Bank at Caligulas, CJ has no reason to go back to the grove, apart from getting his brother out of prison. If it were me I'd say goodbye to the gang life for good.

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

Anyone who says the storyline needs no improvements is obviously a delusional fanboy who thinks everything about it is 100% infallible. Besides the improvements on the OP, another way to improve the storyline is to have the game focus more on the ghetto life and reduce some of the Mafia missions. Also, your homies should actually be useful in gang wars and the NP characters should be better at shooting because the only NP character who could actually shoot is Woozie, and he's f*cking blind. Those are my improvements. Anyone else got any more?

• Journey_95 and PenisCatcher like this

zmudziak32
  • zmudziak32

Homie

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

I know it'll be offtopic, but basing of CJ, Franklin is similiar to him.

Both of them lost interest in hood lifestyle, CJ do it only to get back Sweet respect, Franklin always comment Lamar's actions and traps, that he shouldn't do gangster sh*t. 

After Green Sabre CJ focus on getting money than thinking about GSF, Franklin wanted same, money and get out of hood,.

CJ should be tough guy and barely do what Tenpenny and Pulaski wants, second, Ryder betrayal make no sense(Even in Introduction he doesn't look like a guy who will betrayal GSF), third, why CJ in Green Sabre didn't kill Police Forces that comes, find car and Escape with wouded Sweet in safe place.

• GreenOnions likes this

Paul723
  • Paul723

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

Ryder betrayal make no sense(Even in Introduction he doesn't look like a guy who will betrayal GSF), third, why CJ in Green Sabre didn't kill Police Forces that comes, find car and Escape with wouded Sweet in safe place.

I agree. I mean there was just no depth to Ryder's character at all. They should've put in more depth to his personality. CJ and Sweet had depth. Big Smoke had depth. Cesar had depth. Hell even Wu Zi Mu had depth. Why is Ryder the only main character without any depth? He should've been loyal to the gang so he could work with CJ and Cesar in San Fierro. Imagine how cool the three of them working together would be.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Abusive ad hominem - where would the forums be without it?

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:09 AM

I personally couldnt tell the difference between Ryder and Sweet so when it came to reuniting with him I was like WTF?

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Concept Story 2014
    Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:36 AM

• Ryder's death should have been more profound. He appears for all of thirty seconds after betraying you and his death is hardly memorable. You would think the guy with the biggest mouth on him in the game would at least have something to say when it comes to him getting killed off the pier. Instead you just snipe him in the back and be done with it.
  • The Catalina stuff I could of done without. CJ should have gone on the rob with Cesar instead. It would have been a better way to build up their friendship than the Wang Cars b-story in San Fierro.
  • More Big Bear. I've never understood why driving him to rehab was cut from the game.

zmudziak32
  • zmudziak32

Homie

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

I agree. In beta version of Pier 69 role of them were swapped. Ryder tried to kill us, t bone use speedboat to escape.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users