Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which GTA have the best/worst weapons?

53 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA Best/Worst set of weapons (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Which GTA have the best weapons?

1. Grand Theft Auto (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Grand Theft Auto 2 (1 votes [1.23%])

Percentage of vote: 1.23%

3. GTA III (0 votes [0.00%])

4. GTA Vice City (15 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

5. GTA San Andreas (11 votes [13.58%])

Percentage of vote: 13.58%

6. GTA Advance (0 votes [0.00%])

7. GTA Liberty City Stories (0 votes [0.00%])

8. GTA Vice City Stories (5 votes [6.17%])

Percentage of vote: 6.17%

9. GTA IV (7 votes [8.64%])

Percentage of vote: 8.64%

10. GTA IV TLAD (5 votes [6.17%])

Percentage of vote: 6.17%

11. GTA IV TBoGT (4 votes [4.94%])

Percentage of vote: 4.94%

12. GTA Chinatown Wars (2 votes [2.47%])

Percentage of vote: 2.47%

13. GTA V (31 votes [38.27%])

Percentage of vote: 38.27%

Which GTA have the worst weapons?

1. Grand Theft Auto (11 votes [13.58%])

Percentage of vote: 13.58%

2. Grand Theft Auto 2 (3 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

3. GTA III (20 votes [24.69%])

Percentage of vote: 24.69%

4. GTA Vice City (0 votes [0.00%])

5. GTA San Andreas (2 votes [2.47%])

6. GTA Advance (13 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

7. GTA Liberty City Stories (2 votes [2.47%])

8. GTA Vice City Stories (0 votes [0.00%])

9. GTA IV (9 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

10. GTA IV TLAD (1 votes [1.23%])

Percentage of vote: 1.23%

11. GTA IV TBoGT (0 votes [0.00%])

12. GTA Chinatown Wars (3 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

13. GTA V (17 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:59 AM

I don't know why many chose V as the worst. Sure it has some over the top guns but most of them are for the wacky Online mode and it's not like you have to use them but the option is nice.

That's a really, really weak argument. Don't like it don't use it. Besides GTA V having so many useless, gimmick weapons isn't the only problem. The majority of the guns have a noticeable lack of recoil making them feel like they lack firing power and because GTA V's melee system is so sh*t using the melee weapons is hardly a fun experience.

Maybe all you care about is variety and customisation options. Don't assume it applies to everyone though. 

• Niobium, Payne Killer, Mr_Rager and 1 other like this

SabreGT
  • SabreGT

And the winner by knockout is...!

• BUSTED!
  • England

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

V had a great & vast selection of weapons & I would say with the suppressors and other additional customization options available, V would be my favourite. 

I don't really have a least favourite, but I thought IV could have had a bit more variety & some suppressors would have been nice, seeing as it is the Hitman GTA. 

LongLiveJojo
  • LongLiveJojo

RIP Lil Jojo.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

In my eyes, GTA V has the best weapons out of the whole franchise simply because there's a big variety. You can customize them etc. GTA III has the most basic weapons, I'm not saying this is bad. The game came out in 2001 so you get what you get. III was way ahead of it's time however.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

The best weapons were in TLaD imo. Not only it had all weapons from GTA IV, but it also widened selection of pistols and shotguns (street sweeper!) and added grenade launcher with bouncy grenades. Weapons in IV were great as you were feeling every shot bullet and the F/X while slightly overdone, were very satisfying and movie-like. There's nothing better that shooting in the room, which is slowly filling with the smoke coming from the weapons.

Second place goes to VC, for the best melee weapons and good balance between guns.

The worst weapons were very likely in Advance, as I can't recall anything good about that aspect. These were just like the rest of the game - really bad.

• Algonquin Assassin, Pastry, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:15 AM Edited by gunziness, 31 July 2017 - 01:16 AM.

The best weapons were in TLaD imo. Not only it had all weapons from GTA IV, but it also widened selection of pistols and shotguns (street sweeper!) and added grenade launcher with bouncy grenades. Weapons in IV were great as you were feeling every shot bullet and the F/X while slightly overdone, were very satisfying and movie-like. There's nothing better that shooting in the room, which is slowly filling with the smoke coming from the weapons.

Second place goes to VC, for the best melee weapons and good balance between guns.

The worst weapons were very likely in Advance, as I can't recall anything good about that aspect. These were just like the rest of the game - really bad.

Agree, TBOGT weapons were quite interesting too. Combining all the weapons from GTAIV + EFLC, I could say its the perfect arsenal of any GTA. Not to mention that EVERY weapon has their own feel. 

GTA SA also deserves an honorable mention, you could really see how they cared about balance when almost every weapon is usable competitive-tier (some of them on their own way) in SAMP-MTA, and pretty much all of them were fun to use.

• Algonquin Assassin and Payne Killer like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

gta iv vanilla's arsenal was bland and limited.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

..because GTA V's melee system is so sh*t using the melee weapons is hardly a fun experience...

It's better than IV though. You can't even stealth or lunge with the knife and the bat animations are cringy and even glitchy at times, nowhere near as satisfactory like V.
  • Payne Killer, SmokesWithCigs and DimitriFaustin like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

..because GTA V's melee system is so sh*t using the melee weapons is hardly a fun experience...

It's better than IV though. You can't even stealth or lunge with the knife and the bat animations are cringy and even glitchy at times, nowhere near as satisfactory like V.

I don't call GTA V lacking a proper countering mechanic "satisfactory". It should've taken everything about GTA IV's system and improved it. Not just a couple of animations here and there.

• B Dawg, Payne Killer, Mr_Rager and 1 other like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

weight of the wind

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:26 AM

Adding the lunge is great, but adding a 50 foot electric slide lunge is not. I miss swinging a bat and having it knock a guy down because it hit him in the gut, or bashing it against their skull getting an instant death. Melee weapons in V are like instant death against peds.
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Tycek and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

Adding the lunge is great, but adding a 50 foot electric slide lunge is not. I miss swinging a bat and having it knock a guy down because it hit him in the gut, or bashing it against their skull getting an instant death. Melee weapons in V are like instant death against peds.

The thing I don't get is they added lunging yet you can't disarm anyone anymore if they attack you with a knife or whatever. I love doing that in GTA IV and using the knife counter against them.

GTA V only does some animations better. The mechanics on the other hand are so watered down/basic it's embarrassing.

• B Dawg, Tycek, Misunderstood and 1 other like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
    Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

I don't call GTA V lacking a proper countering mechanic "satisfactory". It should've taken everything about GTA IV's system and improved it. Not just a couple of animations here and there.

But the simple act of attacking with a knife or bat feels better, IV might have counterattacks and all but V is still better in that regard because there's variety, stealth and the animations are not garbage. The pros outweight the cons in this aspect.
Swatting the knife in IV is cringy and that weird thing Niko does with the bat is just embarrasing to look at, it looks like Niko is afraid of hurting someone with the bat. Combat with meele it's simply not enjoyable despite the badass counters.
  • Payne Killer likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:46 AM Edited by B Dawg, 04 August 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Agree, TBOGT weapons were quite interesting too. Combining all the weapons from GTAIV + EFLC, I could say its the perfect arsenal of any GTA. Not to mention that EVERY weapon has their own feel. 

GTA SA also deserves an honorable mention, you could really see how they cared about balance when almost every weapon is usable competitive-tier (some of them on their own way) in SAMP-MTA, and pretty much all of them were fun to use.

The only weapon I'd tweak (reskin) in the process of mixing GTA IV + EFLC weapons is the Gold SMG. Feels out of place being the only gold weapon around.

Also, GTA SA weapon balance, every weapon being usable competitively? That's bullsh*t. Without any modifications whatsoever, M4 is flat out superior to the AK, Deagle is superior to the 9mm, Spas12 is superior to the Pump Shotgun (and the Deagle), and run n gun weapons (Tec9, Uzi, Sawnoff) outclass the slow walk while aiming weapons, especially the Double Sawnoff which is beyond overpowered when abusing the weapon switch mechanic (why go through the long reload animation when you can just press E and Q or vice versa or mouse scroll after every shot).

Weapons aren't balanced in any of the GTAs because they're primarily singleplayer games and it's designed around progression of going from bad weapons to good ones throughout the story.

All of the weapons in IV get use in multiplayer because they designed it so that you always start with the worst weapon/worse version depending on weapon settings, and that you have to go and pickup other weapons or better counterparts around town.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

But the simple act of attacking with a knife or bat feels better, IV might have counterattacks and all but V is still better in that regard because there's variety, stealth and the animations are not garbage. The pros outweight the cons in this aspect.
Swatting the knife in IV is cringy and that weird thing Niko does with the bat is just embarrasing to look at, it looks like Niko is afraid of hurting someone with the bat. Combat with meele it's simply not enjoyable despite the badass counters.
Just as it's embarrassing that the three stooges in GTA V are afraid they'll break their nails if they try to disarm their enemies.

The animations are fine, but if they spent as much time developing and improving on GTA IV's counter attacks as they did on those then I'd be impressed.

Counter attacks are IMO the most important part of any melee system and GTA V botched this badly. I'm sure most people would agree.

Even despite its flaws with some "meh" animations I can still have plenty of fun in GTA IV beating up people with fists or weapons. I can't do that in GTA V when it f*cked up the most important part.
  • B Dawg and Tycek like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:09 PM Edited by Tycek, 04 August 2017 - 01:58 PM.

For me it didn't matter if the melee weapon animation in GTA V was more varied and fluent than in GTA IV, if the whole unarmed/melee fight was so poorly done. I tend to use only guns and I didn't recall single time I've used any of the melee weapons V got to offer. To be completely honest I don't recall if there is anything more than knife, bat, and pool stick.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Best:

GTA IV and GTA III

Worst:

GTA V, GTA SA and GTA VC.

Easy.

• Richie Makyura likes this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Best: San Andreas, V, Vice City. A wide variation of weapons with some fun ones like the flamethrower, minigun and railgun and some really awesome ones like Vice's Python.

Blandest (worst is a strong word): IV. Two variations in each category, with one being an upgrade over the other (Carbine > Assault, Combat Shotgun > Pump Shotgun, SMG > Micro SMG, etc) so there's very little reason to use the inferior versions. Also a shame there's only a knife and a baseball bat for melee weapons and there's only the RPG for heavy weapons. 

Richie Makyura
  • Richie Makyura

I clawed my way out of Willamette

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:43 PM Edited by Richie Makyura, 04 August 2017 - 03:43 PM.

Best:

GTA IV and GTA III

Worst:

Easy.

I agree with you  :lol: but i have the reason why love and hate the weapons.

I Like:

GTA III: More powerful weapons are chating in the same time (if you go on 5 or 6 wanted level you know why jejeje) and you can get Grenades and Molotovs in the same time like M16 and AK-47 or Rocket Launcher and Flame Thrower

GTA IV: Realistic animation in carrying weapons and the shake of the character hands shaking hand by the effect of weapons.

I Hate:

VC: Weapons are good, but are many bugs when you pass in the weapons zone its remplaced automatically.

SA: The sound effects are s**t and is very easy kill anyone with any weapon and guns aim lock in the head intead of body chest and make boring the guns fight.

V: What kind of Combo Weapons of Dead Rising 2 is that? I gonna mix a Rocket Launcher and a Chainsaw bat in the future  :p

In my personal opinion CW have a good variety of Weapons, GTA 2 have a too variety, GTA 1 Has the first, you can,t have excuses for that, Advance have Minigun and 2 Guns in hands  :p  (take that Claude) and LCS & VCS Have the same weapons of Vice City.  :lol:

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
    Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:13 PM Edited by The Deadite, 04 August 2017 - 06:34 PM.

Best:
GTA IV and GTA III

Worst:

Easy.

Are you f*cking trolling?

Both IV and III have a barebones variety in weapons, not only that but you listed both VC and SA (which have the best selection) as the worst.
  • B Dawg and Payne Killer like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

Yeah I have to agree with you on that one. When talking strictly about the weapon selection (and not their feel or whatever), GTA V, SA and VC obviously come on top.

• The Deadite likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

I think we can all agree neither IV nor V excell at melee combat. It's something I wish they'd really overhaul for the next game.
  • Payne Killer and The Deadite like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

Also, GTA SA weapon balance, every weapon being usable competitively? 

almost every weapon is usable competitive-tier (some of them on their own way) in SAMP-MTA, and pretty much all of them were fun to use.

Without any modifications whatsoever, M4 is flat out superior to the AK, Deagle is superior to the 9mm, Spas12 is superior to the Pump Shotgun (and the Deagle), and run n gun weapons (Tec9, Uzi, Sawnoff) outclass the slow walk while aiming weapons, especially the Double Sawnoff which is beyond overpowered when abusing the weapon switch mechanic (why go through the long reload animation when you can just press E and Q or vice versa or mouse scroll after every shot).

Of course there are weapons that are more powerful than others, thats like in any game, the thing is, in most competitive modes (if that is a thing nowadays), the weapons selection were made so you could pick between various weapons combinations in a way that the match would be balanced.

For example: SPAS + AK // Shotgun + M4 // MP5 + Deagle // Sniper + Deagle/Shotgun // Rifle + Spas/Deagle are all balanced combos between eachother, the key word being balance. The only exception of course is the silenced 9mm, but thats weapon designed exclusively for stealth missions in the game, which is not a thing in MP at all.

When it comes to running weapons, the Sawn off is indeed the best, but then again, there arent as many RW as WW and most of the matches/duels are made with Sawnoff + TEC/Uzi, where both weapons works wonders combined.

And the RW do not outclass the WW (with c-bug/2shot or without it), nor the other way around I guess, I would say its more of a situational case if anything.

On topic:

The only weapon I'd tweak (reskin) in the process of mixing GTA IV + EFLC weapons is the Gold SMG. Feels out of place being the only gold weapon around.

If tweaking is involved, I agree, I would also:

- Slightly reduce its fire rate.

- Also reduce the fire rate of the Street Sweeper (similar to the GTAV version, and give them 10/12 rounds).

- Increase the damage output of the Semi Shotgun to almost the same as the standart shotty (and reduce its clipsize to ~6)

(In SP) it feels odd spamming shots with the Semi Shotgun, seeing enemies with blood clouds around their body, and constantly getting up after every shot until you empty the whole clip/rounds.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

I think we can all agree neither IV nor V excell at melee combat. It's something I wish they'd really overhaul for the next game.

No GTA game does quite frankly, but GTA IV was/is a better platform to build off of.

Best:
GTA IV and GTA III

Worst:

Easy.

Are you f*cking trolling?

Both IV and III have a barebones variety in weapons, not only that but you listed both VC and SA (which have the best selection) as the worst.

Why is he trolling exactly? No where does it say in the OP or thread title that it's based on selection only. 

• Piggsy pls likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:46 AM Edited by B Dawg, 05 August 2017 - 08:51 AM.

- Also reduce the fire rate of the Street Sweeper (similar to the GTAV version, and give them 10/12 rounds).

Speaking of the Street Sweeper, I'd outright replace the model with a more fitting one (such as the Heavy Shotgun from V), because in real life, the Street Sweeper is one of the worst shotguns in the world due to it's reload mechanism, yet in the game, it reloads faster than a pump shotty!

Meanwhile, the Heavy Shotgun's real life variant (the amazing Saiga) perfectly fits the monstrous fire rate of the Street Sweeper.

• gunziness likes this

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Thunderstorm

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:51 PM Edited by Ertan Soner, 06 August 2017 - 02:54 PM.

Best - Gta vc, sa and cw

Worst - Gta 3, advance...and 5, it doesn't matter how many guns in the game if there is no recoil and if the gun feel like a toy gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users