GTA: San Andreas Downgrader
This downgrader will take the certain versions of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and downgrade them to their original version 1.0 counterparts.
- NewSteam r2 (including German) (12/9/14)
- Retail Second Edition (2.0) US
Later versions of San Andreas over the years have made a number of changes to the game such as removing songs, textures and animations along with editing the game's script. They've also added in a few protections against things such as Hot Coffee. Due to these changes, a number of modifications such as SA-MP will outright reject new versions. This downgrader restores all the original files, not only making your copy a more complete San Andreas - but also enabling the use of popular modifications.
None known at the moment. Please let me know if you find anything.
Try the following:
- Deleting your gtasa.set file in "Documents/GTA San Andreas User Files" (Or use the "Delete gta-sa.set" option in the Tools menu)
- Removing any modifications.
- Remove any saved games from previous versions of the game (if this fixes it, read the topic again more carefully)
- Delete the game from Steam, re-download it and then reapply the downgrader.
- Still crashing? Check your computer setup for sh*tty programs and/or configuration. People have a tendency to blame the game/developers before checking their own crappy setup that's likely causing the issue.
OMG I HAVE TWO EXES
This is on purpose for compatibility reasons - they are both the exact same. The Steam release of San Andreas changed the EXE name - so Steam looks for gta-sa.exe when it attempts to launch San Andreas. Mods on the other hand look for gta_sa.exe as this was the original retail EXE name.
This downgrader relies on binary differences so no game files are being distributed. It requires a legally purchased copy of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas in order to work.
Vadim M has created an excellent video demonstrating how to use the downgrader.