Quantcast

» «
Photo

San Andreas Downgrader

SA Released
220 replies to this topic
gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to sell Shark Cards.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:40 AM Edited by gamerzworld, 26 March 2017 - 08:43 PM.

GTA: San Andreas Downgrader

2187444747.png

This downgrader will take the certain versions of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and downgrade them to their original version 1.0 counterparts.

Works With
- NewSteam r2 (including German) (12/9/14)
- Retail Second Edition (2.0) US

Why Downgrade?
Later versions of San Andreas over the years have made a number of changes to the game such as removing songs, textures and animations along with editing the game's script. They've also added in a few protections against things such as Hot Coffee. Due to these changes, a number of modifications such as SA-MP will outright reject new versions. This downgrader restores all the original files, not only making your copy a more complete San Andreas - but also enabling the use of popular modifications.

Known Issues
None known at the moment. Please let me know if you find anything.

I'm Crashing!
Try the following:

• Deleting your gtasa.set file in "Documents/GTA San Andreas User Files" (Or use the "Delete gta-sa.set" option in the Tools menu)
  • Removing any modifications.
  • Remove any saved games from previous versions of the game (if this fixes it, read the topic again more carefully)
  • Delete the game from Steam, re-download it and then reapply the downgrader.
  • Still crashing? Check your computer setup for sh*tty programs and/or configuration. People have a tendency to blame the game/developers before checking their own crappy setup that's likely causing the issue.

OMG I HAVE TWO EXES
This is on purpose for compatibility reasons - they are both the exact same.  The Steam release of San Andreas changed the EXE name - so Steam looks for gta-sa.exe when it attempts to launch San Andreas. Mods on the other hand look for gta_sa.exe as this was the original retail EXE name.

Legal
This downgrader relies on binary differences so no game files are being distributed. It requires a legally purchased copy of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas in order to work.

Video
Vadim M has created an excellent video demonstrating how to use the downgrader.

Download Stub Version (Updates Itself With Patches) (2.1 MB)
RockstarNexus

Download Full Package (522 MB)
RockstarNexus

• Inky, OG Viking, lpgunit and 44 others like this

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:40 PM Edited by mirh, 11 December 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Awesome. Remember that install location should be possible to retrieve from

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 12120

Did you also downgrade anim.img, gta_int.img, gta3.img, main.scm, script.img?

Awesome! I couldn't have done it better!

But did you tried perhaps something lighter than patch maker, for example JojoDiff or xdelta3?

Spoiler

EDIT: would you mind if I mirrored your downgrader on PCGW? Or just do it yourself

• HalfOfAKebab likes this

bobbyprince
  • bobbyprince

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for creating this tool, it's very valuable item for the community. But I have an question.

Why this downgrader is almost twice heavier than your 11/7>3.0 or 12.9>3.0 downgraders? I thought that 1.0, 1.01, 2.0 and 3.0 versions have differences only in main .exe since this downgrader doesn't touches other files besides main .exe. Could you please explain a bit?

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:01 PM Edited by mirh, 11 December 2014 - 08:02 PM.

Thank you for creating this tool, it's very valuable item for the community. But I have an question.

Why this downgrader is almost twice heavier than your 11/7>3.0 or 12.9>3.0 downgraders? I thought that 1.0, 1.01, 2.0 and 3.0 versions have differences only in main .exe since this downgrader doesn't touches other files besides main .exe. Could you please explain a bit?

Old downgraders (I haven't tried the old gamerzworld one though) just downgraded executable. This is quite straightforward to do.. though it's not complete.

After 1.0 version even anim.img, gta_int.img, gta3.img, main.scm, script.img changed (mainly hot coffee stuff was removed).

But without them we couldn't really claim to be 100% 1.0.

Besides remember that new steam version even has cut songs, that this has to restore

• bobbyprince likes this

bobbyprince
  • bobbyprince

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Old downgraders (I haven't tried the old gamerzworld one though) just downgraded executable. This is quite straightforward to do.. though it's not complete.

After 1.0 version even anim.img, gta_int.img, gta3.img, main.scm, script.img changed (mainly hot coffee stuff was removed).

Besides remember that new steam version even has cut songs, that this has to restore

Thank you for good explanation. And one more question...The .exe downgrader I mentioned above generates .exe that doesn't requires disk in tray to play. I know, that makes sense, since it's designed for Steam version. But how it was achieved, if 1.0 and 1.01 were DVD only? Downgrader doesn't restores DVD check code for those .exe?

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [Modding] 2016
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

But anim.img is unused :(

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thank you for good explanation. And one more question...The .exe downgrader I mentioned above generates .exe that doesn't requires disk in tray to play. I know, that makes sense, since it's designed for Steam version. But how it was achieved, if 1.0 and 1.01 were DVD only? Downgrader doesn't restores DVD check code for those .exe?

In fairness, the resulting executable is HOODLUM cracked exe, otherwise you are right there would be no way for steam users to play otherwise

But anim.img is unused :(

What do you mean?

• bobbyprince likes this

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to sell Shark Cards.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

But did you tried perhaps something lighter than patch maker, for example JojoDiff or xdelta3?

Spoiler

EDIT: would you mind if I mirrored your downgrader on PCGW? Or just do it yourself

Couldn't get PatchMaker to see the path from the registry. The other file diff programs probably would be a bit lighter with file size, however I held off using them for a few different reasons. Main reason being PatchMaker is simpler solution for both creating and deploying. The resulting installer can gracefully handle issues that arise - not to mention PatchMaker allows for targeting multiple versions of the game with just a few clicks. Part of the goal was to get it out as fast as possible while making it something dead simple for people to use with minimal fuss. There was another downgrader available for NewSteam r1 that was based on either JDIFF or xdelta that people complained they didn't know how to use it/resulted in a non-working game. When I get some time I might look into using another solution.

• mirh likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

What do you mean?

The game doesn't use it. All these anims are in gta3.img anyway.
  • mirh likes this

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:17 PM Edited by mirh, 12 December 2014 - 01:17 PM.

Spoiler

Couldn't get PatchMaker to see the path from the registry. The other file diff programs probably would be a bit lighter with file size, however I held off using them for a few different reasons. Main reason being PatchMaker is simpler solution for both creating and deploying. The resulting installer can gracefully handle issues that arise - not to mention PatchMaker allows for targeting multiple versions of the game with just a few clicks. Part of the goal was to get it out as fast as possible while making it something dead simple for people to use with minimal fuss. There was another downgrader available for NewSteam r1 that was based on either JDIFF or xdelta that people complained they didn't know how to use it/resulted in a non-working game. When I get some time I might look into using another solution.

Well, indeed is one of the most easy to use tool I have ever seen. There could hardly be somebody so noob to be able to screw it.

Besides, I was concerned about it because it's a big executable, and most AV software scan it entirely before allowing the OS to open it. This can even take minutes.

Another thing that arose from my own testings is that diff patches didn't compress very well (and were almost as big as original files btw).. Every utility gave more or less file of equal size... But (depending on parameters used) patching that only required some seconds.

Now, it's not like I had to wait more than 5 minutes to have everything fixed by your downgrader, though the ideal situation should be that where HDD is the bottleneck. But 99% of times CPU was (especially with something as big as gta3.img)

So even this may be a reason to try other ways (but just to be finicky and tend to perfection)

And check your mailbox, I sent you oldsteam german exe

bobbyprince
  • bobbyprince

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:11 PM Edited by bobbyprince, 13 December 2014 - 04:12 PM.

Only English and Spanish will appear as language options. You can replace the "english.gxt" with the GXT for your language. A future update to SilentPatch might also unlock the language options.

Usage of 1.0 .exe generated by this tool eliminates the problem. It's fixed version of hoodlum, while this downgrader generates unfixed. I did a comparsion of checksums, and fixed's .exe readme contains this string:

Fix info:
    With this new executable, all the foreign languages present on the DVD we released will be enabled.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Best Script or Plugin 2016 [SkyGfx] [Contribution]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY]
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:08 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 13 December 2014 - 06:08 PM.

probably causes EU renderware locations and is therefore less compatible with third-party addons

Chorizombie
  • Chorizombie

Trick

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:04 AM

What's the difference with downgrading through this or using Silents downgrader? Does this downgrader reverts the deleted songs aswell? What if I only copy pasted a Hoodlum gtasa.exe over the vanilla one from steam latest patch?

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Best Script or Plugin 2016 [SkyGfx] [Contribution]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY]
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:22 AM

What if I only copy pasted a Hoodlum gtasa.exe over the vanilla one from steam latest patch?

you'd get crashes due to missing radio
  • Tomasak and Chorizombie like this

shockingburst
  • shockingburst

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Thailand

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

hello guys i start game but nothing happen after downgraded please help me  :cry:

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

hello guys i start game but nothing happen after downgraded please help me  :cry:

Remove gta_sa.set from documents/gta sa user files/ folder

shockingburst
  • shockingburst

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Thailand

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:50 PM Edited by shockingburst, 19 December 2014 - 02:50 PM.

it has a same result

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

it has a same result

Do you get anything? Black screen? Icon opened in the taskbar?

Any mod installed? Had you touched game files before downgrading?

shockingburst
  • shockingburst

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Thailand

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:14 PM Edited by shockingburst, 19 December 2014 - 04:19 PM.

it has a same result

before downgraded it works properly but after downgrade when i start gta_sa.exe or gta-sa.exe nothing happened but icon gta_sa.exe on task manager and disappear at a short time

keanan26
  • keanan26

Crackhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

i get unknown version 

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

it has a same result

before downgraded it works properly but after downgrade when i start gta_sa.exe or gta-sa.exe nothing happened but icon gta_sa.exe on task manager and disappear at a short time

Delete gta_sa.set in savegames folder

i get unknown version 

Are you using latest steam version? Check game local file cache

IG_
  • IG_

Thug

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

The downgrader worked fine but I still wasn't able to convert my save.
I tried converting my San Andreas save file with that tool but to no avail.

I don't think the online converter worked... so I tried downloading the converter and I couldn't even get the program to run.

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

The downgrader worked fine but I still wasn't able to convert my save.
I tried converting my San Andreas save file with that tool but to no avail.

I don't think the online converter worked... so I tried downloading the converter and I couldn't even get the program to run.

The offline program was compiled against 16 bit windows (don't know why). You had better to use it under windows 32 bit or dosbox

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

The offline program was compiled against 16 bit windows (don't know why). You had better to use it under windows 32 bit or dosbox

WHAT?

Oh the good mid-90s.

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

WHAT?

Oh the good mid-90s.

I once asked hmvartak and he told me that "the program was written for Turbo c++ compiler" and that "he can't compile on other 32 bit compilers".

barumlia
  • barumlia

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

I've downgraded the game, but l can't set the resolution to 1080p.

with the original steam patch I could set it to 1080p.

can any body help please.

thank you.

mirh
  • mirh

Prankster

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

I've downgraded the game, but l can't set the resolution to 1080p.

with the original steam patch I could set it to 1080p.

can any body help please.

thank you.

Because you need widescreen fix

checock
  • checock

Player Hater

• New Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

Saved games from Steam copies won't work. You'll need to either convert them using this tool or use a Steam SCM and SilentPatch.

First, many thanks for doing this. Now I can play San Andreas as I should.

On the other hand, the link of the tool to convert the save game to 1.0 it's dead, anyone here have a backup? Or can anyone point me how to use the Steam SCM and SilentPatch? I don't know what a SCM is.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Even thought I have an original V1.0 DVD copy of the game, this will be of great use to those who don't have such a copy. Good work there. :)

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

GTA:LC kiwi :)

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Hello there guys! I searched around the webz and in the forum but I'm at a loss...

I'm "rocking" the Steam version of San Andreas for mac. For those living under a rock it's a Cider port of the Windows game, meaning it has the full windows game inside a folder in the mac application. This means the game can usually be modded like the windows counterpart without great trouble...

I'm not even interested in modding anymore, but I just bought the game and I discovered I can't use my old savegames from a few years ago.

I know I could just convert the savegames, but I would rather have the game moddable again, just in case I happen to want to install some of my old mods :)

I found mentions of earlier versions of the Steam mac game being downgradable, but there seem to be a problem with the latest update (which I thought was the same r2 pushed to windows users):

when I try to use gamerzworld's downgrader (running it in a virtual machine of course) pointing it to the windows game folder inside the mac app, it says "unknown version" and doesn't let me proceed...

is there any indication anywhere to which version of the executable am I using?

in the unfortunate (and likely) case that the mac version "gta_sa.exe" is not the same as the Windows Steam r2 one, is there anything I can do to trick the downgrader into working with what I've got?
would perhaps providing my .exe make it possible to enable the downgrader for this version too?

thanks a lot,

K.

• TheticalFlyer97 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users