• Most Creative [Writing] 2016
    Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:30 AM

The crew might be the closest to Forza's open world style, but when I played the demo I wasn't convinced.

Maybe GT, a return to track based racing might be the answer

For now though I found Forza h2, so I think I'll stick with them while they work :)

Thanks Andy (still might look into the crew)

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Can someone recommend games set in Latin America, or from Near to Far East (except Japan), which are not about ancient fantasy worlds (e.g. Prince of Persia) or about Americans shooting up the place? Something which uses the setting effectively and not just as a backdrop. Also, not strategies.

Some good examples I know are Papo & Yo, Sleeping Dogs, 1979: The Revolution, or the first Assassin's Creed. Any more tips?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Computerwelt

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:47 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 16 January 2017 - 06:06 PM.

Can someone recommend games set in Latin America, or from Near to Far East (except Japan), which are not about ancient fantasy worlds (e.g. Prince of Persia) or about Americans shooting up the place? Something which uses the setting effectively and not just as a backdrop. Also, not strategies.

Some good examples I know are Papo & Yo, Sleeping Dogs, 1979: The Revolution, or the first Assassin's Creed. Any more tips?

Maybe try Kane & Lynch 2? But that falls in to the Americans shooting up the place category.. 

Oh.. I really enjoyed Stranglehold. That was a bit of fun. It's a mindless shooter but a fun game to play.  Like Max Payne except in Hong Kong. 

• Street Mix likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Fascist, Loofa-faced s**t-gibbon.

• Members
  • Norfolk-Island

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:08 PM Edited by Street Mix, 17 January 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Yakuza series.

Driver 2 (Rio & Havana)

Jet Li: Rise To Honor (Hong Kong)

"Americans shooting up the place" - you meant military shooters? Anyway some non-military:

Kane & Lynch (Havana & Tokyo)

Kane & Lynch 2 (Shanghai)

Mercenaries 2 (Venezuela)

Max Payne 3

Just Cause 1

• Mister Pink likes this

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:00 AM Edited by Oldsport, 17 January 2017 - 01:02 AM.

Sleepingdogs

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the tips. Any more?

BTW yea, K&L, MP3 just like Uncharted, Far Cry or Just Cause fall under the 'Americans shooting up the place' (even though Rico is Mexican) :)

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Computerwelt

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hitman series is amazing and usually takes you all over the world. 

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Can someone recommend games set in Latin America

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

which are not about Americans shooting up the place

Oh. Nevermind then. That's literally exactly what it's about.  :lol:

• Mister Pink likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Yea. Furthermore I was kinda hoping for stuff that use the setting effectively, not just as a backdrop or a temporary place for one mission or so.

Kinda like the examples I listed: Papo & Yo, Sleeping Dogs, 1979: The Revolution, or the first Assassin's Creed.

I was really looking forward to Whore of the Orient that was being developed by Team Bondi (of the LA Noire fame) but as we know, that didn't go anywhere. Shame.

It's weird that developers use these settings so little. I mean, the Uncharted or Tomb Raider games wouldn't be as good without all that beautiful and exotic (to us anyway) scenery; the only good thing about Max Payne 3 was the setting (I'd so much love a GTA set in that place instead of what we got) and when such locales are used even for a mission or 2 in the usual 'America f*ck yea' games, they often tend to be the highlights of level design.

Why then are so few games completely based in these settings? Shame.

Anyway, I'm surely gonna check out Stranglehold and I may need to dip into some point and clicks it seems. Just discovered Lost Horizon, need to check that out too.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Computerwelt

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Yeah I had a look around and it is a shame there aren't more. That's why I'm hoping for a new city in GTA, not just re-using the same cities. I want a fresh experience. Take me somewhere new. 

• HaythamKenway, Cameron Star and RogerWho like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:19 PM Edited by RogerWho, 17 January 2017 - 08:22 PM.

Tell me about it. I still think a GTA-like game would be amazing in New Delhi in the 40's or 50's. Or Cairo in an even earlier era (or whenever there was enough cars out there).

I've played Saboteur recently (from GOG) after quite a few recommendations and the setting and era really made for a completely different experience. Sadly it went underappreciated by everyone when it came out for some reason. Either way, setting such a game in a completely different environment, with an appropriate storyline and characters - I want that. But of course the fanboys will cry foul if the next GTA won't be set in Vice City, not to mention somewhere outside current-day US.

BTW I just remembered Total Overdose. It's set in Mexico and is absolutely, completely hilarious. Tho I'm not sure if it even conforms to my criteria since the main character is a twin of a DEA agent :dozing: Regardless it's still not the kind of game I was thinking anyway.

• Mister Pink and The7thOne like this

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

Anybody remembers xbox magazines that used to give the demos ? So around 2009 i got a demo disc and there was this game , a first person shooter. And it let you slow down time and stuff , manipulate time amd stuff like that.

DieselFuelOnly
  • DieselFuelOnly

"What impertinence! I shall purge you at once!"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

Anybody remembers xbox magazines that used to give the demos ? So around 2009 i got a demo disc and there was this game , a first person shooter. And it let you slow down time and stuff , manipulate time amd stuff like that.

Was it Timeshift?

official-xbox-360-magazine-demo-disc-77-

timeshift.jpg

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumberdom

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:20 PM Edited by Majesty Dreamworth, 28 January 2017 - 04:20 PM.

Max Payne 3 would've been my suggestion, but you don't want an American shooting up the place.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Release the Bleeding Death!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:23 PM Edited by B Dawg, 28 January 2017 - 05:28 PM.

Kane & Lynch (Havana & Tokyo)

Americans shooting up the place" - you meant military shooters? Anyway some non-military:

Kane & Lynch 2 (Shanghai)

Mercenaries 2 (Venezuela)

Kane & Lynch 1 non-military? Later on in the game, Kane & Lynch are practically in military gear with their own squads raiding heavily defended positions guarded by tanks, helicopters and mounted machine guns! That's some heavy military type sh*t. Plus, they're americans always going into heavy firefights.

• Payne Killer likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

Well K&L was cool regardless, but my point was to look for games that are at least somewhat culturally sensitive, where the environment is used as an actual place and not just as an exotic backdrop for the wacky shenanigans.

Max Payne 3 was sh*t. If I had a time machine, I'd go and erase that garbage from history. Who cares about Hitler.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:09 AM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 30 January 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Well K&L was cool regardless, but my point was to look for games that are at least somewhat culturally sensitive, where the environment is used as an actual place and not just as an exotic backdrop for the wacky shenanigans.

Max Payne 3 was sh*t. If I had a time machine, I'd go and erase that garbage from history. Who cares about Hitler.

MP3 is the best game in the franchise and this is coming from someone who beat the previous games 3 times each.

• Payne Killer likes this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Max Payne 3 is, in my opinion, the best TPS ever made when it comes to gunplay, mechanics, challenge, animations, and smoothness - it feels so natural. A very underrated game for what it is. There are a couple of things that annoy me here and there, like the fact that Max Payne changes weapon after every cutscene, but besides a couple of tiny annoyances, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

• Payne Killer, Dream-_-Traveler and Leftist Bastard like this

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted A week ago

I am looking for a game like these socom navy seals games back on the ps2.
I only played the first couple, this is ten years ago.

Now there are tons of shooters and army games.
Can someone please recommend me a game that's like a third person shooter, perhaps with the option of silent approach?
Something like a assassin's creed, with guns?

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Oldsport, A week ago.

Can someone please recommend me a game that's like a third person shooter, perhaps with the option of silent approach?

Look into operation flashpoint. Or even ghost recon wildlands.You can order your squad around and stuff like the old navy seals game.

@dieselfuelonly that was the game i was talking about, great memory lol thanks!
  • shadyslady likes this

boyy
  • boyy

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GFX]

Posted A week ago

What are some of the better RPG based games for the PS2? Nothing science fiction but preferably fantasy.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

Need help remembering an old PC Engine game. 

Mid 90s, side-scrolling adventure/platformer thing. The thing I remember most of all was a set of bonus levels where you're riding on a rollercoaster cart and you have to jump between them or you get knocked off. I think on the first there was two carts, on the next there was three. Something to do with dragons maybe? 

HALP PLZ. 

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

Need help remembering an old PC Engine game. 

Mid 90s, side-scrolling adventure/platformer thing. The thing I remember most of all was a set of bonus levels where you're riding on a rollercoaster cart and you have to jump between them or you get knocked off. I think on the first there was two carts, on the next there was three. Something to do with dragons maybe? 

HALP PLZ. 

was it spyro ?

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Nope. That was never on PC Engine. Spyro was also 3D. And not side-scrolling. But you got the dragon bit right. 

boyy
  • boyy

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GFX]

Posted 4 days ago

Nope. That was never on PC Engine. Spyro was also 3D. And not side-scrolling. But you got the dragon bit right. 

Possibly Wonder Boy III?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Computerwelt

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 4 days ago

Yeah, I would try Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted A day ago

Right, so every now and then this game keeps popping up in my head, and no matter how much I search for it, I can't for the life of me find out what the game was, probably more so because I just have no idea what to Google to narrow down the results.

Anyway, all I know is it was on a PSX demo disc that I had as a kid, you know, one of the free discs you got with the magazines. Anyway, the 'game' (not sure if the game got a release or not) was, to put it as best as possible, 2 teams of 'robots' playing some form of arena based game, with me leaning towards it was some type of handball type game...and all else I really can remember is that you were able to attack the opposition in some way or other.

sh*t description I know, but meh, a forum full of gamers surely has to be better than randomly Googling key words...

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Computerwelt

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 2 hours ago Edited by Mister Pink, An hour ago.

Anyway, all I know is it was on a PSX demo disc that I had as a kid, you know, one of the free discs you got with the magazines. Anyway, the 'game' (not sure if the game got a release or not) was, to put it as best as possible, 2 teams of 'robots' playing some form of arena based game, with me leaning towards it was some type of handball type game...and all else I really can remember is that you were able to attack the opposition in some way or other.

Are you sure it wasn't Speedball? Used to love that game on the Mega Drive

I think it was out on PS too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users