Photo

SkyGfx: PS2 and Xbox graphics for PC

RW Released
6,664 replies to this topic
Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted An hour ago Edited by Marsi4eg, An hour ago.

Ahahah, go get some sleep ©
In 2.5a rain drops are static and they don't move at all but cull zones fixed

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted An hour ago

It's awesome! How we could play without this analog colors for years?

Pretty easy since it's visually worse representation, you guys only like it because of some fake baked nostalgia of how these games are supposed to look. If we're going with flaws why not just buy a PS2 and a CRT at this point and use the worst lowest quality connection type since that's "accurate" :D
  • Blackbird88 and Tomasak like this

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted An hour ago Edited by Marsi4eg, An hour ago.

It's awesome! How we could play without this analog colors for years?

Pretty easy since it's visually worse representation, you guys only like it because of some fake baked nostalgia of how these games are supposed to look. If we're going with flaws why not just buy a PS2 and a CRT at this point and use the worst lowest quality connection type since that's "accurate" :D

Actually I bought used PS2 only a little more than a year ago, and saw these gta games on PS2 first time, so in my case it's not a nostalgia but something else :D

The Xbox it the one that's wrong. It's correct in SkyGfx. Just switch to the 1st person camera (I just don't know how to call the camera which is on the front window) while driving in rainy weather and you'll feel that it's more natural when the raindrops move away in the opposite direction when you make a turn. Then do the same on the original Xbox version and see how weird it looks like.

You just haven't tried this yourself, no?
In first person camera modes in both xbox III/VC and skygfx rain drops don't move to right-left sides on long turns, like they do in other camera modes, so nothing weird.

The Hero
  • The Hero

Into TheGame!!!

• Feroci
  • Germany
  • Most Helpful Modding 2016 [Honorable mention]
    Best Script or Plugin 2016 [SkyGfx]
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted An hour ago Edited by The Hero, An hour ago.

Things are complicated. Theoretically you could convert the analog YUV colours back to the exact RGB colours (assuming a perfectly exact signal). You can simulate this in skygfx by setting all scaling to 1.0 and all offsets to 0.0. It's just that my cheap capture device doesn't do that, there's other magic going on, and who knows what crazy things TVs do. I just implemented a way to tweak the YCbCr values (which are proportional to the analog YUV values) and set the default values to give a result which looks close to what my cheap capture device shows.

Anyway I'm pretty sure R* took the look of the analog picture into account somehow. Otherwise they wouldn't have "different" timecycle files for PAL and NTSC versions (timecycp.dat for PAL and timecyc.dat for NTSC, they're exactly the same except for one color). Make of this what you will.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 54 minutes ago

My point is that at this stage people are chasing after effects done AFTER the games render, you're chasing after a range that's done by the composite where it squashes thing down for the connection type.

To you guys who never bothered with consoles, yeah it seems like it should be this way, but those of us who had consoles back then and used RGB, this mod no longer looks like how I remember it, it now looks worse. :p
  • eagle152 likes this

13 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 7 guests, 2 anonymous users