Controversial Coppers: Shootings, the racist argument, and the effects

1,779 replies to this topic
Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

Jesus, that's f*cking horrible. Why did they make him crawl towards them with confusing instructions, and why do they have such incredibly heavy weaponry? They could've just walked up to him and cuffed him. That's just f*cking stupid really.

• Tchuck and mr quick like this

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:28 PM Edited by Saggy, 08 December 2017 - 09:40 PM.

Jesus, that's f*cking horrible. Why did they make him crawl towards them with confusing instructions, and why do they have such incredibly heavy weaponry? They could've just walked up to him and cuffed him. That's just f*cking stupid really.

Because they're conditioned to believe that every person is some kind of unsuspecting Rambo that's going to jump up and kill them with stunning martial arts skills set off by their PTSD.  Add to that our sh*tty f*cking gun controls, it only makes them right about that every once in a while.  Once bit, twice shy.

They show them training videos of police calls where some suspect has killed a responding officer who wasn't being 100% absolutely vigilant, and then stress that if they're not 100% absolutely vigilant all the time, then they're going to leave their wives widowed and their kids bastards.  It's kind of like the same way police-apologists try to convince us that these types of incidents happen so rarely, except they completely dismiss how rare those incidents actually are. So rare that there's only a handful of videos that they're commonly shown.  Here's a couple...

This is probably the oldest and most well-known.  Literally hundreds of thousands of cops have been conditioned to fear civilians based on this video.  They even condition civilians to sympathize with the officer by playing this on Fox shows like "World's Deadliest Police Shootouts" with John Walsh pontificating about the awful dangers they face every second.

Here is a more modern example thanks to body cams, and there's plenty of fear mongering videos like this to go around YouTube

So basically, they're conditioned to think that every person they encounter could be a blood-thirsty killer a split second away from killing them, because it has happened like that, but they completely ignore the actual frequency of these instances and end up preemptively shooting, and killing, civilians and then try to assuage the civillian's worries by how rare it is, conditioning them to believe its necessary as well.

Here go look at the actual comments on this video: 

"When police give the ppl chance and don't start shooting first"

So yeah that should answer your question.  Not that it's a reasonable answer.  Might explain why so many Americans are pissed off about it too.

Oh, forgot the racial element...  Don't think there aren't a lot of "John Smiths" on police forces.

HzEsI1V.png

Here watch this one for a good example of what I mean. Watch how quickly it escalates.  This cop has probably seen too many of the videos I already posted.  The guy won't even take his hands out of his pocket, he's sitting there filming the cop, and so that raises the idea in the cop's head the man might be armed and going to shoot him, so he pulls his own gun.

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

I hope the above dimwit reads this:

http://www.chicagotr...1208-story.html

Philip 'Mitch' Brailsford has been acquitted in the shooting of an unarmed, complying suspect, caught on video. 

mesa25n-3-web.jpg

Brailsford said in court: “If this situation happened exactly as it did that time, I would have done the same thing"

How the f*ck was he not convicted of murder?

Raavi
  • Raavi

Bing Bing Bing Bong Bing

• Administrator
  • European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

Philip 'Mitch' Brailsford has been acquitted in the shooting of an unarmed, complying suspect, caught on video. 

This is not just murder beyond reasonable doubt, this is murder beyond any doubt. The whole deliberately confusing ritual he made the guy go through had all appearances of being nothing more than a pretence to shoot the guy when he messed up a move. The guy was ready to be taken into custody when he lay there with his ankles crossed and hands on his head. Everything that happened after was seemingly purely for the sadistic gratification of the killer. This is a gross and glaring miscarriage of justice. How a jury could acquit this murderer and still look at themselves in the mirror is beyond me. 

• Tchuck, Darth Yokel, mr quick and 2 others like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

We can blame the individual, but to me the core problem seems the code of conduct and instructions they receive, apart from the bizarre overpowered machine gun he was weilding. Everything about what he was doing was completely stupid, and I think most of that can be blamed on policy.

• mr quick likes this

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

We can blame the individual, but to me the core problem seems the code of conduct and instructions they receive, apart from the bizarre overpowered machine gun he was weilding. Everything about what he was doing was completely stupid, and I think most of that can be blamed on policy.

Not in this case. It was fairly obvious that he was looking for an excuse to kill the guy. We might be dealing with a psychopath here.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

I watched that video yesterday, it was disgusting.

On a slightly more positive note, Michael Slager, the cop who shot Walter Scott, got 20 years in prison.

http://www.cnn.com/2...cing/index.html

Should've been more but really it's a miracle he even got convicted at all.
  • mr quick and sivispacem like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

Not in this case. It was fairly obvious that he was looking for an excuse to kill the guy. We might be dealing with a psychopath here.

It's right to punish this guy harshly, but ultimately it won't solve anything if more cops are trained in a similar manner, and sent out with similar instructions. The same thing will reoccur if nothing changes fundamentally. It's likely that the blame for this occurrence is far more systemic than this one incident.

• Tchuck likes this

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Nah, he seems totally level-headed...  Note the inscription ( by the yellow tag )

c04060f401.png

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

It's right to punish this guy harshly, but ultimately it won't solve anything if more cops are trained in a similar manner, and sent out with similar instructions. The same thing will reoccur if nothing changes fundamentally. It's likely that the blame for this occurrence is far more systemic than this one incident.

I'm aware that their training is a mess and that their standards for competence is basically zero. Check out my previous posts in this topic. I basically hate most cops. But I'm saying that in this particular case I don't think that training would have helped. This guy wanted to kill someone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users