Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Christianity be taught in school as a part of American History?

126 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Christianity be taught in school as a part of American History? (121 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Christianity a necessary thing in relation to American history and is it necessary enough to be taught in school as a part of the class?

1. Yes (66 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. No (55 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Fonz
  • Fonz

Passarim quis pousar, n„o deu, voou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:11 AM Edited by Black_MiD, 19 November 2016 - 05:13 AM.

I didn't read a word of this. Not even one.

Evidently you did, since you actually took the trouble of cutting off the parts I'd quoted from you at the exact places where each of my points began. As a matter of fact, you read all of those words; it's just that you couldn't really respond to any of them.

• Eutyphro, Melchior, Tacymist and 1 other like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

The point of comparing STEM to history is to show that history is a simple subject.

I'm not sure whether you've failed to do this because of the lack of coherent argument, or failed because you're wrong. But I don't particularly care; it's easy to dismiss as an opinion, and a pretty questionable informed one at that.

I figured you would oppose my view seeing as your undergrad major is political "science". 

It's not, though.

the adept analyze the present to shape the future while the inept analyze the past to understand the present.

Let's gloss over the fact that huge swathes of scientific research are dedicated to historical analysis for no real purpose other than to "better understand" what came before and how it translates to the present. Can I assume that you also seek to have any backward-looking science endeavours stricken from the curriculum too?

No matter how much you want to run from the fact that academia does exist on a hierarchy it won't change that inescapable fact.

This isn't a notion I fundamentally disagree with, but lopping off four-fifths of academic subjects because they don't meet your personal criteria for "worth" is patently ridiculous, as is asserting they're without value simply because you consider them beneath you. Mind you, you consider literally everything beneath you, including bothering to read other poster's replies.

In ms and biochem, information that was 6 months old or less was considered ideal; information that was one year old or more was generally considered outdated.

If we're going to get into a weird dick-swinging match where the value of endeavours is directly proportional to their recency, then might I point you in the direction of tactical intelligence, where information older than a few hours is usually outdated?

As an aside, the next time you respond to a poster to say nothing more than you hadn't bothered to read their comments will be the last time you post on this forum.
  • Tacymist and iBUCKEYE like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:25 PM Edited by Eutyphro, 19 November 2016 - 12:26 PM.

Jesus, you are such an ignorant hack. Your post is only ad hominems and pure tripe. What the f*ck would you prove by posting a STEM paper, and comparing it to a paper on a history subject? I get it that you don't think learning from history is important, or you wouldn't be such a reactionary uninformed idiot.

Golden... I went ahead and underlined+bolded what I liked about your post. I think it adequately portrays the type of person you are. What's so interesting about you is that you don't realize that as soon as I leave everyone else will go back to ripping on you, because pettiness is in the nature of you and your friends here. BTW, it is well documented that prevaricators often doubt the veracity of others.

Thanks for your contribution.

Like I wasn't aware I was using ad hominems against someone who did the same. The difference is that I didn't respond with ad hominens to a reasonable post, and that mine were accurate. I pretty much feel like you are a troll by now, and we're spending far too much time on you. I really think you should just be banned.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:30 PM

Why is it that my posts in D&D always get ignored :panic:

Anyway, here's how to hide the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about, with my assistant, Chiari the jester:

Step 1: make half of your post slinging insults and depreciation as filler, to hide the lack of actual arguments you have to make your post look bigger and more impressive.
Spoiler

Step 2: say things. Say many things. Don't worry about whether they make any sense or actually backing up your points, all that matters is that you say things. We'll deal with the boring "backing up" and "explaining" stuff later.
Spoiler

Step 3: just kidding, we can't back our points up, instead let's say more stupid things to hide this.
Spoiler

Step 4: you're done! You've successfully told people your opinions on things that you're definitely knowledgeable about, and you didn't explain them because then they'd actually be able to pick apart your sh*tty reasoning, or see that you have none apart from STEM elitism. You can now kick back, relax, and f*ck off, because you sure as hell ain't gonna be doing any of that "debating" business. That's for English and Politics students, which as we all know are snugly next to Those Darn Blacks on the intelligence deficiency scale.

And if you're looking for a serious response, then you should start by actually explaining your points instead of gish-galloping a stream of STEM elitist bollocks. And yes, before you try and go for the pointless personal attack like you seem to do with everyone, I study a STEM subject, one which is arguably more pure STEM than playing doctor :]
  • El Diablo, Eutyphro, Melchior and 5 others like this

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

I'm wondering if you'll defend other bottom of the barrel programs like music appreciation, African American studies, liberal arts, english lit and psychology. Let me know. Back2sermo4me.

'Liberal arts' are the things you are complaining about. History, literature, social sciences are all 'liberal arts.' So yeah, I think any thinking person would defend the liberal arts. They'd definitely defend the other sh*t you said like music and psychology. 

Good point. I'm suing bcm for not covering ancient shamanistic rituals and medieval blood-letting... because you know.. history is important.

Maybe your lack of understanding of history is why you support a laughable incoherent political ideology that wants to recreate the unbearable social conditions of early Capitalism? 

I don't even get what you're saying. Are you saying we should abandon learning about the past at all? Should we shut down all the archaeological dig sites, do you not care how Rome became Italy? Or are you just arguing that everybody who studies history is stupid? Either way you are wasting everybody's time and not thinking through what you are saying. 

I didn't read a word of this. Not even one.

I'll sumarise for you: history is a complex discipline with myriad applications, in understanding the development of institutions and norms which govern our lives, all of which came to be through lengthy and multifaceted historical process. You can't grasp this because your fedora is on too tight.  

• Eutyphro, Raavi and Fonz like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ô

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

it's trolling at this point.

we're no longer on topic. this is completely irrelevant to the thread itself: should Christianity be taught in public curriculum?

are we really doing this?

we're going to devote 2 pages now to addressing this contrarian douchebag? he's not interested in having a serious discussion. he literally just quoted MID's entire post just so he could say that he "didn't read" it.

this is not D&D.

• Eutyphro likes this

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Religion is a choice, it's nothing you are born with (although it seems exactly like that but that's another topic). If there is any religious class at school it should be optional for students.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users