Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Christianity be taught in school as a part of American History?

126 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Christianity be taught in school as a part of American History? (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Christianity a necessary thing in relation to American history and is it necessary enough to be taught in school as a part of the class?

1. Yes (65 votes [54.17%])

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

2. No (55 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

So on the back of your bad personal experiences, you resent the notion of truth and factual accuracy being taught over dogma and denialism?

Look at the US Deep South, where creationism is often taught as an equally plausible alternative to evolution for example, then consider the stereotypical reputation of the area as ignorant and prone to bigotry. In my opinion, all schools should be secular, with faith being separate and personal. From speaking with people my age who've been through the Polish state system, religion was shoved down their throats in state school. An entire year of RE was spent simply reading the bible. That's something which could have been done in church Sunday school for those who wanted.

The historical context of religion affecting the development of the USA should be taught in American schools, however. From Puritan settlers to the Mormon founders of Utah, religion's place in American history shouldn't be ignored.

Webster.
  • Webster.

Thug

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

this makes me sad this generation is messed up because back in the 1800s and back most people in america were christians. and when they first started doing school the only textbooks were the encyclopedia and the bible. there was none of this stupid chemistry or science. they shoved that crap down my throat and i barely passed. they should definatly have christianity in schools maybe not in history but its own class. but thats not gonna happen cause the school board are all athiests. when i wrote a report in school one time and i mentioned god and religion i was given an f automatically. and also when i was feeling suicidel and wanted to be with god one time i went to my counsler to talk but when i mentioned religion they made me leave. then i was bullied because of my beliefs. i nearly killed myself school is hell no kid deserves to go through it the only thing that kept me sane was coming home to play gta with my friends.

In my opinion, Science is far more important than getting taught about Christianity. So I will have to call your statement a bluff. Religion can be self-taught at home meanwhile Science is a little harder than that. Then again, not everyone is cut out for Science teaching and it all comes down to what you will be doing with your life. Perhaps they should teach religion but maybe not as big as a specific class for it. 

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

randall another amazing antagonist in the walking dead.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:58 AM

this makes me sad this generation is messed up because back in the 1800s and back most people in america were christians. and when they first started doing school the only textbooks were the encyclopedia and the bible. there was none of this stupid chemistry or science. they shoved that crap down my throat and i barely passed. they should definatly have christianity in schools maybe not in history but its own class. but thats not gonna happen cause the school board are all athiests. when i wrote a report in school one time and i mentioned god and religion i was given an f automatically. and also when i was feeling suicidel and wanted to be with god one time i went to my counsler to talk but when i mentioned religion they made me leave. then i was bullied because of my beliefs. i nearly killed myself school is hell no kid deserves to go through it the only thing that kept me sane was coming home to play gta with my friends.

In my opinion, Science is far more important than getting taught about Christianity. So I will have to call your statement a bluff. Religion can be self-taught at home meanwhile Science is a little harder than that. Then again, not everyone is cut out for Science teaching and it all comes down to what you will be doing with your life. Perhaps they should teach religion but maybe not as big as a specific class for it. 

ok well you just said it its your opinion and so is mine its not a bluff. and when i said there was no chemistry or science i meant it wasent as well known and the average person had no idea what it was it was a new concept and i dont even know about the history of science im more interested in the history of wars or the wild west.

Webster.
  • Webster.

Thug

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:38 AM Edited by Webster., 29 January 2015 - 02:39 AM.

ok well you just said it its your opinion and so is mine its not a bluff. and when i said there was no chemistry or science i meant it wasent as well known and the average person had no idea what it was it was a new concept and i dont even know about the history of science im more interested in the history of wars or the wild west.

Nobody in Poland knew what Science was when you were at school? Science has been taught since the 80s and 90s in schools. I understand if you are meaning that Science is hard but it's a very well known subject, whether you enjoyed it or not. Christianity isn't really used much in jobs whereas Science is more used in jobs.

And I'm sure they have a subject for you interest - that's history, but when you apply for a job, they won't really be looking at your History grades that much, unless you're working at a museum or something 

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

Nobody in Poland knew what Science was when you were at school? Science has been taught since the 80s and 90s in schools. I understand if you are meaning that Science is hard but it's a very well known subject, whether you enjoyed it or not. Christianity isn't really used much in jobs whereas Science is more used in jobs.

And I'm sure they have a subject for you interest - that's history, but when you apply for a job, they won't really be looking at your History grades that much, unless you're working at a museum or something 

ok i meant the 1800s because the other people were talking about how there was science in the 1800s. and sadly i dont live in poland i just have that flag up because of my pride of being part polish i live in america.

Webster.
  • Webster.

Thug

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:05 AM

ok i meant the 1800s because the other people were talking about how there was science in the 1800s. and sadly i dont live in poland i just have that flag up because of my pride of being part polish i live in america.

Depends what parts of the United States you're talking about. Christianity was mainly taught in Christian and religious schools, whereas more posh and stable schools had different subjects

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:12 AM

ok you know what were getting off topic talking about science. ill admit yes science and chemistry is very well known today and its used for stuff like medicine and chemicls and stuff but honestly ill leave it up to you guys to figure out how it works because i could care less. now on topic i think they should atleast have christianity in some parts of school or at the very least dont fail kids because they have different views from the schoolboard. i also think the pledge of alliegence is stupid because they make you pledge your alliegence to the union flag there are only two flags i pledge alliegece to poland and the confederate states there even hanging on my wall. even down south they make you pledge to the yankee flag. the south has been brainwashed.

Irviding
  • Irviding

he's going to get into the ring and put boots to asses

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:44 AM Edited by Irviding, 29 January 2015 - 05:45 AM.

Are you serious or just kidding around? Why do you pledge to the confederate flag...? It isn't our flag anymore, it was for 4 years. That's literally the same thing as being French and saying yeah I only believe we should hang up the old Bourbon flag. The CSA does not exist anymore friend.
  • universetwisters and Gay Tony like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

Are you serious or just kidding around? Why do you pledge to the confederate flag...? It isn't our flag anymore, it was for 4 years. That's literally the same thing as being French and saying yeah I only believe we should hang up the old Bourbon flag. The CSA does not exist anymore friend.

does my name give you the answer? americas a decent country but i think i prefer the confederates.

Irviding
  • Irviding

he's going to get into the ring and put boots to asses

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:26 AM

does my name give you the answer? americas a decent country but i think i prefer the confederates.

Why?
  • universetwisters likes this

thehambone
  • thehambone

Been away for a while; school is currently kicking my ass...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:29 AM Edited by thehambone, 29 January 2015 - 06:29 AM.

Christianity's effect on American history as a whole? Yes, that should definitely be taught in history class.

Creationism and other Christian beliefs? Those should not be taught in history class under any circumstances. What happens in the Bible hasn't been proven to have actually happened. And creationism, well, there's no evidence for that either (but that's more of a science issue than a history issue). Now, if a student wants to take a Bible study or other religion course as an elective, then by all means, they should be allowed to do so. Just keep the religion out of the core classes.
  • Gay Tony and Webster. like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

Why?

because thats were im from and i find it more patriotic being in the south. and also have you heard of general william tecumseh sherman? he is another reason a very cowardly and dishonorable man. attacking civillian homes burning it stealing rape murder. if youve ever watched the pharos army youll understand. and i know about slavery and yes it was wrong but most of the southerners didint even have slaves and they joined up because they felt that they should defend their land.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

you need some serious history lessons...

• I Love Anna Kournikova, mr quick, Irviding and 9 others like this

Fonz
  • Fonz

Passarim quis pousar, não deu, voou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:28 AM Edited by Black_MiD, 16 February 2015 - 02:28 AM.

Yes, the relevance and impact of Christianity in the history of the US should be taught in schools objectively, because it is part of American History. Indoctrination, however, is a different matter, which is why I think it's absolutely ridiculous to try to push religious doctrine into Science classes. Also, things like the Pledge of Allegiance have, in my opinion, no place in classrooms, either. Secularism is key to progress and, as long as we have items connecting scholar institutions to the church, the concept is being held back.

In Portugal students study the importance that Greek, Roman, Christian and Islamic mythologies have had on various designated countries, but these religions are all given equal relevance and studied under a purely historical light, that is, without turning History class into a shameless vehicle for religious propaganda.

@confederatestatesgta
I'm very curious as to where you got your "knowledge" of History.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:04 AM

Why?

because thats were im from and i find it more patriotic being in the south. and also have you heard of general william tecumseh sherman? he is another reason a very cowardly and dishonorable man. attacking civillian homes burning it stealing rape murder. if youve ever watched the pharos army youll understand. and i know about slavery and yes it was wrong but most of the southerners didint even have slaves and they joined up because they felt that they should defend their land.

I never knew the southern part of Poland was a spitting image of the former CSA.

• Irviding likes this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

I never knew the southern part of Poland was a spitting image of the former CSA.

well i have a complicated background have you heard of hienz 57? well thats what i am. born southern and have multiple diffrent countrys in me. and polish is one of them and thats my favorite. so out of pride and respect to my grandfather i have a polish flag on here and hanging in my room. and since i made it a job to reaserch all of my countrys backrounds and history i related to the south besides slavery. sorry for off topic.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:42 AM Edited by universetwisters, 17 February 2015 - 02:42 AM.

well i have a complicated background have you heard of hienz 57? well thats what i am. born southern and have multiple diffrent countrys in me. and polish is one of them and thats my favorite. so out of pride and respect to my grandfather i have a polish flag on here and hanging in my room. and since i made it a job to reaserch all of my countrys backrounds and history i related to the south besides slavery. sorry for off topic.

I can tell you're Southern already. I just assumed you were from Poland because of your flag.
  • Irviding likes this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

yea well i never claimed to be awsome at spelling. we all make mistakes and also ive seen plenty of bad spelling on here but i dont become a grammer nazi.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:07 AM

yea well i never claimed to be awsome at spelling. we all make mistakes and also ive seen plenty of bad spelling on here but i dont become a grammer nazi.

*awesome
*grammar

But following the stickied guide aside, most of the stuff you've been saying here was pretty asinine.

i also think the pledge of alliegence is stupid because they make you pledge your alliegence to the union flag there are only two flags i pledge alliegece to poland and the confederate states there even hanging on my wall. even down south they make you pledge to the yankee flag. the south has been brainwashed.

So you would rather pledge your allegiance to a country that doesn't exist anymore and another that you don't reside in, as opposed to the country you're currently a citizen of? I wonder what's so bad about the "damn yankees" compared to the CSA, and I don't want to hear the old redneck adage "they wouldn't let us own people".

• Failure, Irviding and The Deadite like this

Formula_puck
  • Formula_puck

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

As a Christian as a Catholic school, I think it should be taught, but for history reasons. It's currently against the law for public schools to teach the Bible.

_ImSmaher_
  • _ImSmaher_

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:00 AM

Hell no. If christianity were to be taught in schools, it is better off to be taught as just a piece of literature. But that'll never happen, seeing as how religious folk take the Bible and it's allegory seriously. Most haven't even read the book (I said most). Kids deserve the right to their own free mind, rather than to be indoctrinated s by brainwashed individuals who seemingly believe in the supernatural (and stories with little evidence). Some doesn't even know why they follow the religion, besides their parents telling them to. And those parents have the nerve to disown their child or not following their crazed beliefs.
  • thehambone likes this

undertaker fan
  • undertaker fan

Hustler

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:54 AM

I think it should be taught, but as an optional subject.

jatiger13
  • jatiger13

Factually correct

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:01 PM Edited by sivispacem, 13 March 2015 - 02:57 PM.

No way. Only if certain criteria are met.
Why?
Some of the founders despised all or parts of christianity and religion. So that should be include as well. The whole "separation of church and state" was because of the bloody history of christianity and other religions. So that history should be thought as well.

- "God is an essence that we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there will never be any liberal science in the world." John Adams.

- "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." John Adams.

- "Christianity neither is, nor ever was part of the common law." Thomas Jefferson.

- "The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion." John Adams 1797

So since the only influence that religion had on the founding of the country was in the 1st ammendment, it needs to only be thought to explain why they included what's in that ammendment.
So all the killing that's been done in the name of Christian religion needs to be thought. Since they didn't want that sh*t to happen in the USA.

Yes, the relevance and impact of Christianity in the history of the US should be taught in schools objectively, because it is part of American History. Indoctrination, however, is a different matter, which is why I think it's absolutely ridiculous to try to push religious doctrine into Science classes. Also, things like the Pledge of Allegiance have, in my opinion, no place in classrooms, either. Secularism is key to progress and, as long as we have items connecting scholar institutions to the church, the concept is being held back.

The Pledge of Allegiance was written by a minister. I think it should be removed from class rooms. Separation of church and state.

Counselors are usually thought not to engage in talks regarding religion with students. That's probably why they made you leave.
And the school board members might not be atheists. But if you went to public school, there are laws against teaching specific religions as "the truth".

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Tämän Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

Can you keep to one post in future please instead of multiple? We have an edit button for a reason.

reiniat
  • reiniat

May science shine your way.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

I think schools should teach you about Christianity in the context of history, just throw in the historical facts, let people form an opinion from that.

I honestly dont get what is so fancy about the Bible, i read it all (ok, not the genealogies, and those stupid letters to the Corinthians) when i was 12 and even then i understood how f*cked up it was.

If science has adopted a position where major christian beliefs are simply unacceptable then American schools should have the balls to tell you, "No it is not true, you can believe on it as much as you want, but it still is not true". Instead of just avoiding the matter entirely. Being free means youre free to disagree.

• Irviding, igotskiz and Fonz like this

igotskiz
  • igotskiz

Gone to USAF BMT

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

I think the OP's context of how Chrisitianity would be taught taught in schools is vague. All the posts in this thread would be evidence of that.

As in how it influenced culture, laws, and events? Sure.

Teaching us what it means, what everyone in the Bible did, giving us tests over the Bible itself, etc however, should be kept out of our education system.
  • Irviding, Tyler and thehambone like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

The content of the doctrine and how it influenced history aren't seperable. Should the content of a holy book be mandatory learning material? No. But I oppose mandatory curricula in general, and think students should be stimulated to learn whatever they find most useful for their personal development. And if part of that development is learning about a doctrine that has had major historical and cultural influence then that should be possible.

Tyler
  • Tyler

omnia vincit amor

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:49 AM

The subject of what education should be is an interesting one. I lean more toward a standard implementation of core tenets along with tertiary coursework to be chosen by the student, but that's only because I don't trust an uneducated student to make their own choice for how to educate themselves. To that effect, history is, I would argue, one of the most important aspects of education. Context for standards of society; economic, sociopolitical, provincial driving forces; the utility of narratives; and the general usefulness of knowing one's roots as a human are all extremely important, to everyone. Most of it can be learned colloquially, but I think it is abundantly clear in this age of junk data and information overload, where misinterpretation and ever-accelerating rates of truths come and go, that a standard and nuanced understanding of something as important to the modern world as a religion which is practiced by nearly 2.2 billion people. To that same effect, however, I'd say Islam and a few other religions should be paid more attention in an academic setting.

• El Diablo, Eutyphro, Failure and 2 others like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

Christianity should be taught in American History classes because it heavily influenced this nation as a whole. Our currency even states "In God We Trust." Now, going too in-depth about Christianity should not be included in the cirriculum because one does not need to know about, for example, all of Jesus' lectures that he gave. Schools should teach that the Founding Fathers held the values of Chrisitianity more more than the actual religion, however. Like my aforementioned point, Christianity should not be taught in-depth as details do not help and understanding of American History. That being said, if a teacher does decide to leture more about Christianity than what is needed, they should teach about the other major religions as well.

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:22 AM

If they must teach it, it most certainly shouldn't be taught as fact.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users