Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is there a word processor that functions similar to a forum?

9 replies to this topic
Alpha Demigod
  • Alpha Demigod

I love peace and I love all of you

• Members
  • Canada
  • Best Closet Brony 2016

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

I was wondering if there was a program like Microsoft Word, a downloadable word-processor that has the features that forum posts have. Spoiler tags, BB code, playing video from directly inside the post, etc.

This type of writing, it takes place in HTML5, correct?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:04 AM

Moved to.... somewhere more appropriate. I think.

What's your end goal/deliverable? A web page?

Alpha Demigod
  • Alpha Demigod

I love peace and I love all of you

• Members
  • Canada
  • Best Closet Brony 2016

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:37 AM Edited by Dark Bordeus, 11 November 2014 - 04:37 AM.

Nothing major, really.

I want an offline way to compose text documents with the same features that the forum posing mechanics offer. I write A LOT of personal essays and studies and it'd be very convenient to have such features.

Spoiler tags to keep things neat and organized. A click-to-show function, essentially. To organize long lists and such. And the ability to play videos directly inside the body of text, instead of having to open a web browser. Composing the document would happen offline, but of course to play the video there'd be a connection.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

I've thought about writing one as a fun little project...because it would be kind of convenient.
  • Whiskey likes this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

You can use WAMP Server to install a forum software or CMS offline withoutinternet.

iTRiP
  • iTRiP

NoSBReN

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:59 PM

:rampage: "iTRiP" :rampage:
Probably every admin and mod of every forum everywhere are using software that does have these functions.

No answer to the question of html5, most likely because people that use these don't focus on how
it works just what they can do with it.

An interesting idea would be to have a list of these softwares and their forum counterparts that utilize them.
:rampage: "iTRiP" :rampage:

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

This is quite old now so maybe not important any more, but in case anyone finds this and wants an answer, the simplest thing would be to use an online bbcode parser, like this...

http://patorjk.com/bbcode-previewer/

You just need to copy/paste your document into that page and click a button to see the output.

iTRiP
  • iTRiP

NoSBReN

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

Downloadable offline version?

There might be something similar available somewhere right, I havn't bother to search for that just yet.

:rampage: "iTRiP" :rampage:

Ed 
  • Ed 

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • GTA Series Awards - Best Contribution 2009.
    Excellent GTAForums Contributor (carried over from misc. awards).

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

Well, since it's fully client-side, you could literally Ctrl+S the page, store it on your hard drive and use it offline whenever you want.

ghost of delete key
  • ghost of delete key

chrome vanadium

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:53 AM Edited by ghost of delete key, 24 August 2015 - 11:02 AM.

You can use WAMP Server to install a forum software or CMS offline without internet.

This one has my top vote.

The forum software is PHP script on the server.
THE simplest way to duplicate a served forum page is to actually serve a forum page! :)

WAMP and XAMPP are full featured Apache web server development platforms, and are fairly easy to install and run.
Just get it going and install your favorite forum software.
These servers are designed for local testing of web server configs and function so you can polish off a thing before taking it live on a true web-connected server.
You then can serve yourself your own forum pages, or any kind of service, really. You can actually use it as a live webserver, but it's not recommended, as all the security features are disabled for you from the start. You have to enable the ones you need yourself.

WAMP (WampServer) is great; personally, I use XAMPP (Apache Friends)- compare them to see which is right for you:
https://www.google.c...q=xampp vs wamp

I want an offline way to compose text documents with the same features that the forum posing mechanics offer. I write A LOT of personal essays and studies and it'd be very convenient to have such features.

Spoiler tags to keep things neat and organized. A click-to-show function, essentially. To organize long lists and such. And the ability to play videos directly inside the body of text, instead of having to open a web browser. Composing the document would happen offline, but of course to play the video there'd be a connection.

You could use a free forum, but you might find Wordpress or Drupal very useful, and they're not as fat as your typical forum packages.

Also, if you have the video (or any content) locally, bingo. But you'd have to edit the link to it though if you want to take your page live on a externally-hosted server.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users