Duine Síochánta

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:16 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 06 July 2015 - 08:48 AM.

AlbumArtistReleasedGenreReviewed by
#1 RecordBig Star1972Power popTatsuya
A Day at the RacesQueen1976Hard rockQueen
AjaSteely Dan1977Jazz rockMarwin
BostonBoston1976Hard rockTheKillerDonuts
The Dark Side of the MoonPink Floyd1973Progressive rockTestarossa
The Endless RiverPink Floyd2014Progressive rockBlack_MiD
Electric LadylandThe Jimi Hendrix Experience1968Classic rockTatsuya
Exile on Main St.The Rolling Stones1972Classic rockVega LVI
Gasoline AlleyRod Stewart1970Classic rockSpadge007
Live at Sin-eJeff Buckley1993Folk rockTatsuya
The Marshall Mathers LPEminem2000Hip-hopChickenAndBeer
Meat Is MurderThe Smiths1985Alternative rockMister Pink
MeddlePink Floyd1971Progressive rockTatsuya
Permission to LandThe Darkness2003Glam metalQueen
PinkertonWeezer1996Alternative rockTatsuya
Pure HeroineLorde2013Art popNightSpectre
RevolverThe Beatles1966Psychedelic rockBlack_MiD
SignalsRush1982Progressive rockStrange Town
The Velvet Underground & NicoThe Velvet Underground1967Art rockStrange Town
WolvesAmerican Aquarium2015Alternative countryLefty Guns

Table created and updated by Vega LVI (Thank you!)

The purpose of this thread is to inspire people to listen to and buy great albums they may or may not have previously been interested in hearing/buying. This thread shall act like an index of great albums you can refer to. 

Post a review of an album you love and why you love it. Not looking for an essay but post a few sentences on your thoughts about the album.

(originally, I was just going to do a general album review but what's the point in people posting bad reviews of albums they don't like? Let's keep the positive bias flowing but back up why you love said album)

Guidlines:

Is it original? 

How would you describe the sound?

Is it consistent? 

Stand-out tracks?

Stand-out lyrics?

How does it fit in with the artists other work or does it? 

What about the artwork?

Value for money?

Please accompany a photo or generally follow my format of post for continuity purposes followed by the review. 

Please try keep the images no bigger (largest side) than 500px.

OK, I'll start us off...I'm going with this one because I only listened to it the first time about an hour ago. 

Meat Is Murder by The Smiths..(1985)

The-Smiths-Meat-Is-Murder-254451.jpg

Listening to this album for the first time today I was quite happy to be indulged in more Smith's music. I only ever listened to their The Queen Is Dead and a few other odd tracks. If you are in to The Smiths, you'll enjoy this album. The sound is generally upbeat with jangly guitar work from Johnny Marr and drenched with Morrisey's thought-inspiring lyrics with a real 80's sounding untertones. I never felt bored listening to it. All the tracks for me have their own charm. The Smiths aren't really experimental and have a small catalogue but the sound they have works and always found their upbeat music a great contrast to the often dark, cynical and often humorous lyrics. 

Stand out tracks would be the first one.. The Headmaster Ritual, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and Barbarism Begins At Home

"A double bed 
And a stalwart lover for sure 
These are the riches of the poor "

- I Want The One I Can't Have -The Smiths

Highly recommended

• mr quick, Tyler and Onett like this

Onett
  • Onett

Number nine, number nine, number nine...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:08 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 06 November 2014 - 01:33 PM.

pinkerton.jpg

Pinkerton is a weird album. Following on from their hit 1994 debut, Weezer (commonly known as The Blue Album) it's a drastic change. I first picked it up at Record Store Day in April on CD, and I loved it from track 1.

It's a drastic difference from Blue, with scathing guitar riffs and fantastic vocals. While the songs may sounds happy, the lyrics, are depressing.
Pinkerton's main themes are isolation, loneliness and depression.

The standout tracks are easily the first two, Tired of Sex and Getchoo, the heaviest tracks, and easily the best. The album's finale Butterfly also stands out, being a fully acoustic track with some light percussion. I once heard Pinkerton being described as a young man's album, and that's the only way to describe it.

Highly recommended.

• Mister Pink, Payne Killer and WhiteLines like this

Spadge
  • Spadge

Low Rider

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

I was tidiying up my basement and I found an old record I searched for quiet a long time, I went downstairs to play it, I just cleaned it a bit and the sound is still great. It's one of the first albums from Rod Steward in 1970. 

It's astonishing how different his debut was from what he did in the 80's, it's some picaresque classic rock with a slight tone of folk, it's nostalgic and perfect for drives at 2 through the sunny French countryside with my old 914.

The album I'm talking about is Gasoline Alley, I'm just linking the first song real quick, so you can get a feeling for it.

Consider this my little musical insider of the month.

Enjoy,

Alex.

• Mister Pink, Zondar and Onett like this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:03 PM Edited by Tatsuya, 02 January 2015 - 05:14 PM.

MeddleCover.jpeg

Meddle is a very weird record indeed. It features Pink Floyd's worst with 'Seamus' (which consists of a dog barking along to the song. I sh*t you not.) and Pink Floyd's best with the 23 minute epic, Echoes (which is even better when synced up to the 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' segment of 2001: A Space Odyssey.)

It also marks the band's transitional period of Floyd transitioning over from their psych rock roots to their more well known progressive rock sound, and all the band contributed to the making of Meddle, though with Roger Waters writing the majority.

The artwork, is Pink Floyd's worst, however. In case in wasn't clear enough, it's an ear underwater. Originally, they were going to use a baboon's arse for it, but the band shot it down. They said that they would would rather have 'an ear underwater.' Storm Thorgerson, the guy who did the artwork, has stated it to be his least favourite Pink Floyd album cover: "I think Meddle is a much better album than its cover".

On a more personal note, this was one of many reasons why I picked up a guitar. And Echoes is my favourite track of all time, so it ranks very highly in my case, though it can be a struggle to listen to with 'Seamus' and 'Fearless' (which uses a football choir in it singing Liverpool's 'You Will Never Walk Alone'. Yeah.) But taking these factors into account, it comes

Recommended.

Personnel: (taken from the album)
David Gilmour: guitar, bass on "One of These Days", lead vocals, harmonica on "Seamus"
Roger Waters: bass, lead vocals and acoustic guitar on "San Tropez"
Richard Wright: Hammond organ, piano, vocals on "Echoes"
Nick Mason: drums, percussion, vocal phrase on "One of These Days"
  • Mister Pink and Fonz like this

Fonz
  • Fonz

Passarim quis pousar, não deu, voou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:05 PM Edited by Black_MiD, 04 February 2015 - 02:20 PM.

A recent one:
My dad bought me Pink Floyd's The Endless RIver for Christmas, as he knows I'm a die-hard PF fan. I was pleasantly surprised. The album is mostly instrumental, with the exception of the final track. I thought the lyrics were quite good, the drums were superb and the guitar playing was pretty stellar, as expected from David Gilmour. In typical Pink Floyd fashion, the tracks are all connected by certain melodic passages, one track leading directly into the next one; this makes it so that a PF album can be seen as one huge piece."The Lost Art of Conversation" was my favourite track. Strongly recommended. Oh, and the package and collectibles are fantastic!
fko38w.jpg

Now an older record:
I was going to write about PF's Animals, but I'll save that for a later post.
The Beatles it is, then, particularly my favourite album by them: Revolver.
This album is quite often overlooked by the general public, often relegated to the background, behind the White Album or Let it Be. However, it does contain some popular tracks, like "Eleanor Rigby" and "Yellow Submarine". My love for this particular album resides in the fact that it seems to me to be the most structurally perfect in their discography, in the sense that not one song feels like a "filler" (okay, maybe Yellow Submarine, but you get the point). Furthermore, this record contains the masterpieces "For No One", "I Want To Tell You", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Got To Get You Into My Life" and one of my all-time favourite songs, "Here, There and Everywhere".
I'll leave you with what I consider to be some of the best lyrics ever written:
"I want her everywhere and if she's beside me
I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share

Each one believing that love never dies
Watching her eyes and hoping I'm always there"

(from "Here, There and Everywhere")

dwf4p0.jpg

• Mister Pink, mr quick and Onett like this

mr quick
  • mr quick

i've been on the run but i've done my time

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:00 AM Edited by Marwin, 13 July 2015 - 03:28 PM.

Aja(1977) By Steely Dan

steely-dan-aja-album-cover.jpg

?

This album is the 6th from my favorite 'band', Steely Dan, and arguably, the one that defined them. This album features an exceptional drive and power, while remaining cool, laid-back, and refined, a word that has come to describe Steely Dan as a whole. This album was released in the year 1977, and its sound is absolutely impeccable. Lush, sophisticated harmonies for big crews, and fantastic L.A. session musicians such as Larry Carlton, Bernard Purdie, and Michael McDonald. 

Why I like it:

It is so refined. The harmony is exciting, but not excessive. The drive is present, but not eminent. And let us not forget the incredible backup vocal harmonies by Michael McDonald on the song "Peg". The music never gets old, and in my opinion sounds contemporary still. I can listen to it for hours upon hours. The sound is so consistent, I dare call it genre-defining(for its time). I can't name stand-out tracks because they're all good, but I can assume that the one with the most mass-appeal would be "Josie", which is a very rock-inclined song. The album in general showcases a lot of instruments, woodwind solos, guitar solos, crazy drum fills, and so on. 

"[Steely Dan] are just like me. They're rock and roll guys with a passion for sophisticated harmony"
-Larry Carlton, about the album Aja. 

Why you should buy it:

Although I describe it as being generally sophisticated musically, that doesn't make it elitist music. It's still groovy and catchy. They really went all-out on this album, and if one hasn't already heard it, you may be depriving yourself of a musical experience. 

• Mister Pink, Onett and Fonz like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Duine Síochánta

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

Fantastic reviews guys. Thanks for your contributions. 

• mr quick, Onett and Fonz like this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:12 PM Edited by Tatsuya, 03 February 2015 - 08:17 PM.

live-at-sin-e.jpg

Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é (EP, 1993, Legacy Edition, 2003)

You know that one album that just blows you away and you can't stop listening to it?
Yeah, that was this album for me.

So, I actually have the 'Legacy Edition' of this album, that was released ten years after the original album.
See, this began life as a four song EP, that was the first release of Jeff Buckley's material after he signed to Columbia Records. The Legacy Edition adds a whole lot more songs,going from the EP's original four, to thirty four. These songs were recorded at a bar in New York that Jeff used to play at called Sin-è (Gaelic for that's it).

The album is mostly consisted of covers, ranging from Leonard Cohen to Bob Dylan, however, it does feature some of Jeff's original work, all of which would later wind up on Grace.
It's a fresh, new take on hearing these songs with his voice and his guitar, and that's one of the album's stronger points just hearing him and his guitar.

Being a live album, it does feature some sound issues. Namely, on a couple of songs, his voice is a bit too far away from the mic, but it's very well recorded. This version even features his little monologues between songs, which cover anything from explanations of his own songs, false starts, talking about his favourite artists, to riffing on songs from that era. They can potentially kill the mood or add to the album just that little bit more, for me personally, it definitely adds to this amazing album.

Standout tracks on this album would definitely be Lover, You Should've Come Over, his cover of Strange Fruit, his cover of Je n'en connais pas la fin (which he sings in French) and his cover of Van Morrison's The Way Young Lovers Do.

Overall, I'd highly recommend that you get this album. The Legacy Edition, not just Live at Sin-é, even though that's the name of the album. Get it on any format, I got it on digital, but I imagine it might sound better on other formats.

Very highly recommended.
  • Mister Pink and Tyler like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Duine Síochánta

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Great review Tatsuya. Thanks for sharing :)

• Onett likes this

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:31 AM

lorde-pure-heroine-410.jpg

Lorde - Pure Heroine (2013)

Well, I think you guys knew this was coming. I had to review Lorde's breakthrough debut album, because I'm sure you want to hear me gush over it like a fanboy give my piece of mind about it.

Right off the bat, Lorde separates herself from virtually every other teenage singer on the market. You see, most singers her age make safe, inoffensive pop songs about happy relationships and parties. Lorde, on the other hand, aims for universal appeal in a completely different direction by focusing on the very real, depressing aspects of being a teenager, and living in the world at large. While Lorde is often classified as "pop", her music is just as much alternative as well (she might be the first teenager to be an alternative artist). In fact, her exact genre can be difficult to classify. Dream pop, electronica, synthpop, minimalism, ambient, indie pop, art pop, dark wave, contemporary, and even a few traces of hip-hop can be found in the beats. This all comes together to form something that can't be easily labeled.

Tracks that stand out to me are:

"Royals" (a song criticizing the rich, from the perspective of poor people with chance in life)

"Ribs" (tackling the hardships of growing up, this really speaks to me feeling old when I'm still young)

"Buzzcut Season" (while the lyrics may not make sense at first, it's actually an analogy of the general public who ignore real problems such as war in favor of living in their own personal fantasies)

"Glory and Gore" (a satire about the public's obsession with violence and celebrity culture)

Throughout out the whole album, Lorde sounds very stoic and detached, which definitely adds to it's darker feel. It might take some by surprise (it definitely surprised me) that profanity is featured in the album. It's surprising because she was only 16 at the time, and it escaped content warning labels. Specifically "Tennis Court" features one use of the word "f*ck", and "Still Sane" features several instances of the word "sh*t". But to be fair, I found the use of mature language to have been used an actual mature context, unlike some adult performers.

Overall, this album proved to me that mainstream music doesn't have to be dumbed down to be accepted, and I think the general public is looking for something new after the endless waves teenybopper pop singers and boy bands. This is a breakthrough album, not just for Lorde, but for the indie scene altogether. If more albums are like this in the future, and I can the face of pop music being changed forever.

Very highly recommended. 

• Mister Pink and Onett like this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:53 PM Edited by Tatsuya, 14 February 2015 - 08:55 PM.

So, because I'm bored, here's me gushing over an album I really like.

Jimi_Hendrix_-_Electric_Ladyland.jpg
(The less risque cover of Electric Ladyland. I couldn't find the original cover Jimi wanted, so here's this one.)
Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1968)

This album. This album. This album, in my very personal opinion, is the best album of the 1960's,
yes, I think this is better than everything else from that period, which included The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, The Rolling Stones, everything.
And that's saying something.

The sound is very simple, it's psychedelic, with a bit of hard rock and a bit of funk. The sound does fluctuate quite a bit, as it can go from the 2:25 funky Crosstown Traffic to the 15:00 minute blues rock Voodoo Chile, so the sound isn't quite as steady, creating a bit of mood whiplash here and there. But, it can be very refreshing to go from a fast paced track to a more slower track.

The album comprises of mostly original songs, the only exceptions being Earl King's Come On and the better than the original, All Along The Watchtower by Bob Dylan, which has since become associated with Hendrix and the Vietnam War.

Stand out tracks:
Crosstown Traffic (2:25 of sweet, sweet rock)
Voodoo Chile (15:00 of sweet, sweet blues rock, mixed in with some sci-fi elements)
Gypsy Eyes
All Along The Watchtower
Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Highly recommended.
  • Vega LVI and Fonz like this

Fonz
  • Fonz

Passarim quis pousar, não deu, voou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

^One of my favourite records. Probably the one that really inspired me to pick up a guitar. Voodoo Chile is my favourite as well, followed closely by 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). That song is so good that even Metallica ripped it off! :D
  • Onett likes this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

^One of my favourite records. Probably the one that really inspired me to pick up a guitar. Voodoo Chile is my favourite as well, followed closely by 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). That song is so good that even Metallica ripped it off! :D

Yeah, this and Freedom by Neil Young inspired me to pick up a guitar.
  • Fonz likes this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

Time to revive this sucker.

Big_Star_-1_Record.jpg

#1 Record by Big Star (1972)

Wow. Just wow. This review comes hot off the heels of listening to this album for the first time.

So, a bit of backstory.
Big Star were a power pop band based In Memphis and they created three of the most impactful albums of the 1970's. #1 Record, Radio City and Third/Sister Lovers.
See, while Big Star created some great material, they had this weird streak of selling absolutely no units. Primarily due to their record having their head stuck up their arse, and primarily because they released a power pop album in 1972.
Think back to what genres were big in 1972. Prog rock, mostly. Not power pop. While commercially recieved with glowing reviews, it's estimated that over 10,000 copies of #1 Record were sold.

The sound, as stated before is power pop, along with some jangle pop and straight up rock thrown in there as well, so #1 Record has a fairly varied sound.

Standout tracks are:
The Ballad of El Goodo
In The Street (both the album version and the single mix are great)
Thirteen
Don't Lie to Me
My Life is Right
Watch the Sunrise

Overall, I'd recommend it. Seriously, go and listen to it.

Personnel(taken from liner notes):
Alex Chilton - guitar, vocals
Chris Bell - guitar, vocals
Andy Hummel - bass, vocals
Jody Stephens (actually a guy) - drums.
  • Mister Pink and Zondar like this

ChickenAndBeer
  • ChickenAndBeer

no

• Members
  • Tajikistan

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

cdigj5ibze88uihqvmx0c29t9.953x953x1.jpg

Yes. It's very original. Although, yes, It did revisit some of the themes in The Slim Shady LP (Raping sluts, killing people) for the most part, it took a much more serious direction then his last two albums, The Slim Shady EP and LP.

The sound, is very good. Unlike the sequel to this album, you can really feel the album's production coming through your speakers. This was when Eminem's albums had a much better production value and you can actually feel Dr. Dre's beats.

As for consistence, well, for the most part it does. For example, Amityville was good, but the beats, production, did not feel as powerful as the rest. It seems like Amityville was given less effort then the other songs on the album.

Stand out tracks are:

Who Knew

The Way I Am

Under the Influence

Criminal

Marshall Mathers

The Real Slim Shady

Stan

Stand out lyrics

"I don't do black music, I don't do white music

I make fight music, for high school kids
I put lives at risk when I drive like this {*tires screech*}
I put wives at risk with a knife like this (AHHH!!)
sh*t, you probably think I'm in your tape deck now
I'm in the back seat of your truck, with duct tape stretched out
Ducked the f*ck way down, waitin to straight jump out
put it over your mouth, and grab you by the face, what now?
Oh - you want me to watch my mouth, how?
Take my f*ckin eyeballs out, and turn em around?"-Who Knew

Yo, you might see me joggin, you might see me walkin
You might see me walkin a dead rottweiler dog
with it's head chopped off in the park with a spiked collar
hollerin at him cause the son of a bitch won't quit barkin
(grrrr, ARF ARF) Or leanin out a window, with a cocked shotgun
Drivin up the block in the car that they shot 'Pac in
Lookin for Big's killers, dressed in ridiculous
blue and red like I don't see what the big deal is
Double barrel twelve gauge bigger than Chris Wallace
Pissed off, cause Biggie and 'Pac just missed all this
Watchin all these cheap imitations get rich off 'em
and get dollars that shoulda been there's like they switched wallets
And amidst all this Crist' poppin and wristwatches
I just sit back and just watch and just get nauseous
and walk around with an empty bottle of Remi Martin
startin sh*t like some 26-year-old skinny Cartman ("God damnit!")-Marshall Mathers

It fits in very well with the rest of the work, showing his more depressing, serious side, while still giving us some good ol' Slim Shady fun.

The artwork, is great. It represents that Eminem IS human, and he does have his own problems just like everyone else. Him sitting on the porch on his own house also represents his troubled childhood, and going up there to say "I made it."

Why you should buy it? Because it's one of Eminem's greatest efforts so far, only being matched by The Eminem Show. It has a good beat and ruthless, aggressive style to it, while showcasing Eminem's skill off as a lyricist.

All in all, I rate this album...9/10.

• Mister Pink and Vega LVI like this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:52 PM Edited by Killer Queen, 01 April 2015 - 11:00 PM.

28A-The-Darkness-Permission-to-land.jpg

Purchase this album.

Immediately.

If AC/DC and Queen were to have a love child the result would be The Darkness. This album has 10 hard rocking tunes that possess an impressive variety of guitar licks and catchy choruses. And of course Justin Hawkins as lead singer is the icing on the cake. I'll be honest, if you don't like men singing falsetto, this might not be your thing. There are times when you'd swear Justin is squeezing his testicles with such pressure that he'll need to to give up any hope of having his own kid. But putting that aside, there is not one track on the album that I would call weak or filler. Every time I listen to it (and I've been listening to it since 2003) my favorite tune changes. And of course, in my opinion, The Darkness will never be able to step out of the shadow of this masterpiece. Here are two of my favorites, and I'm purposely excluding the massive hit "I Believe in a Thing Called Love." If you don't know that tune, you need to check it out ASAP. Chances are you've heard it already.

• Mister Pink, mr quick, Zondar and 1 other like this

LeftyGuns
  • LeftyGuns

Gangland Original

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

awolves.jpg

Artist: American Aquarium

Album Title: Wolves

Release Date: 2/2/2015

So I'm pretty biased about American Aquarium. I actually found them opening for another band, Turnpike Troubadours, in 2013. Since then my girlfriend and I have seen them nearly 20 times, and flew to their home in Raleigh, North Carolina from Texas to be at the Wolves record release party. It's safe to say I'm a fan, and when I got my copy of this album, I shut the world down, closed my blinds, plugged in my headphones and took the album for all it was worth.

Is it original?
So the band on the whole has a very original sound in general. It's not quite country, but it's not quite rock and roll. Every single one of their songs tells a story, and lead singer BJ Barham has a pretty good way with words, and his Carolina accent is thick. I think with their tempo, content in the lyrics, and that it all meshes, it's the kind of music that is best enjoyed live, in a smoky bar with cheap beer and dark headed women.

As far as this album's sound goes, it's a lot more upbeat that the previous album Burn.Flicker.Die which was admittedly supposed to be the final album for a band struggling on the road. A swan song if you will. You can tell, as you listen to this album, the whole band is revitalized, especially since BJ Barham put the bottle down, and the addition of Colin Demeo on guitar, that they are happy, and back in full force. The album was recorded in a church, and has a near grungy sound, but it's sort of a Southern grungy sound. It's hard to explain really.

Is it consistent?
Absolutely. Like all albums, it's a journey, but this one has the mark of seasoned song writing, wanting change, and to get their music out there for people to listen to.

Stand Out Tracks?

So when I unwrapped this album, I had already heard most of it from Kickstarter, and I was pretty set on which song I really liked. When I listened to it start to finish, the first song I immediately went back to was, 

Southern Sadness

Spoiler

Losing Side of Twenty-Five

Spoiler

The Man I'm Supposed to Be

Spoiler

Honestly I could keep going, but I'd have every song on here.

Stand-out lyrics?

"Hell I might never have me mansion, hell I might never own me a home, but I got a couple songs, and some boys that I call friends. And I a pretty girl that I can call my own. Yeah I might never be a millionaire, and that's alright by me. I've done the things I've wanted to, and said the things I've wanted to, and seen the things I've wanted to see"

"Who needs a song, if I've got you babe. We're never gonna be the rolling stones. Who needs a song if I've got you babe? The only thing I need right now is home. Who needs a song anyway?"

"All my friends think I made it, this month I barely paid rent. Seems like I'm busting, knuckles just to get by yeah. Turned off the cable, i'll pay it when I'm able, but as long as it's just you and me, there ain't much else I really need."

"Just remember nothing good ever happens after 3AM"

So it's definitely got more of an "up" feeling to it than the other stuff, but it's very well in the consistency department with the bands previous sounds. Though through all their albums from 2006 and up, you can definitely see their progression

What about the artwork?
It's very simple, but I think it fits the album and the band very well

Value for the Money?

It's a very good album, by a band who you can tell that they love what they do. I recommend this album to everyone, not just because I'm a big fan, well okay because I am, but also because it's just a really solid set, and you can tell the effort that was put forth in the creation of this piece.

• Mister Pink likes this

Strange Town
  • Strange Town

Looking at you, Mission/Heist failing Randoms

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:28 AM

The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground (1967)

tumblr_inline_mqs5zhIlh91qz4rgp.png

I felt I needed to talk about this album. Before listening to the album in its entirety, I've heard of pieces of some of its songs. I was expecting it to be good. But I didn't expect to be blown away at first sight.

Commercially, a weak album, as they sold only a hundred or thousands of copies. Musically, a very strong album. Produced by the father of pop arts, Andy Warhol, the album is marked by pure psychedelia and strong lyrics about drugs and its dealers of the streets of New York.

With the lyrics written by frontman Lou Reed, he manages to picture the streets of New York and its scene on the drugs on songs like "I'm Waiting for the Man", "Run Run Run" and "Heroin". "I'm Waiting for the Man" tells the story of a man waiting for his dealer to buy his product. "Run Run Run" tells the story of New York residents and their experience with drugs and their dealers. and "Heroin" tells the story of a man experiencing the drug. The song is sang and played like the singer is really smoking heroin, with its lyrics (And I just don't know) expressing confusion by the singer and the music pacing up at each "heroin shot".

The instrument that marks big presence is the viola. Played by John Cale, it's the instrument that contrasts the band's psychedelia, especially on "Venus in Furs" and "The Black Angel's Death Song".

The album features the German singer Nico, she sings on "Femme Fatale", "All Tomorrow's Parties" and backing vocals on "Sunday Morning".

Of all the albums I've heard, this one was by far the hardest for me to choose my favorite song. I was in constant doubt between "Sunday Morning" and "I'm Waiting for the Man", and after some time, I've finally decided that "Sunday Morning" is my favorite song from the album. Standout tracks also go to "Venus in Furs", a song about sadomasochism and "Heroin".

Lou Reed - guitar, vocals
Sterling Morrison - guitar
John Cale - bass, viola, eletric organ
Maureen Tucker - drums

Nico - lead vocals on "Femme Fatale" and "All Tomorrow's Parties", backing vocals on "Sunday Morning"

• Mister Pink and Tyler like this

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

it's not rael

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

I'm going to be very cliché and pick this album.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

Is it original? Absolutely.

How would you describe the sound? The guitars, bass lines, and pretty much every instrument used stands out nicely, and make up a hectic mix of progressive rock and psychedelic rock.

Is it consistent? Yes, from the first track to the last, it's an interesting and wonderful journey.

Stand-out tracks? Money, The Great Gig in the Sky, Time, Us And Them, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Any Colour You Like.

Stand-out lyrics? "Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

How does it fit in with the artists other work or does it? The icing on the cake, really.

What about the artwork? Legendary and instantly recognizable.

Value for money? It's a fantastic album, which introduced me to the glorious world that was Pink Floyd. Totally recommended.

Personnel:

Richard Wright: Keyboards, Vocals and VCS3

Roger Waters: Bass, Guitar, Vocals, VCS3 and Tape Effects

Nick Mason: Percussion and Tape Effects

David Gilmour: Vocals, Guitars and VCS3

• Mister Pink and Queen like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Duine Síochánta

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

Absolutely fantastic reviews guys. Keep them coming! 

I'll be gearing up to post one or two shortly when I get more time. 

Donut
  • Donut

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:40 AM Edited by TheKillerDonuts, 24 May 2015 - 04:45 AM.

Boston (1976, debut album)

bostom-306-1363703929.jpg

Is it original? I believe so. I wasn't around in the '70s, so i couldn't say.

How would you describe the sound? Hard rock with progressive influences.

Is it consistent? Yes.

Stand-out tracks? Foreplay/Long Time, Peace of Mind, Smokin', Hitch a Ride, and my favorite, More Than A Feeling

Stand-out lyrics? "When I'm tired and thinking cold - I hide in my music, forget the day, and dream of a girl I used to know. I closed my eyes and she slipped away. She slipped away" from More Than A Feeling. "Lot's of people out to make believe they're living, can't decide who they should be." from Peace of Mind. "I've got to keep on chasing that dream, though I may never find it - I'm always just behind it." from Long Time.

How does it fit in with the artists other work or does it? I have only heard songs from Boston's debut album and Don't Look Back, their next album. Don't Look Back was alright, but it isn't nearly as great as this one. I still liked it, though, and it had the same style, albeit in a happier tone. I can't say i heard any other tracks from Boston albums. If i did, i don't remember.

What about the artwork? Means a lot to me. As a child in the early 2000s, my mom would blast this album, alongside some Fleetwood Mac, Styx and Bob Seger, while she cleaned around the house. Boston was always my favorite. Hearing Peace of Mind in GTA V's enhanced version brought a lot of nostalgia to me.

Value for money? This is a good album. I'm gonna have to go ahead and give it the OSCAR! For best medal. Even better than Medal of Honor. But seriously, this is the only album i personally have liked every single track on. It's regarded as one of the greatest debut albums of all time. If you like classic rock, this is one of the go-to albums.

• Mister Pink, Vega LVI and Queen like this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:03 PM Edited by Killer Queen, 24 May 2015 - 02:09 PM.

2a6dfb2db7d97b0d3a90525fc652d82e6140fe32

QUEEN - A DAY AT THE RACES (1976)
Is it original? 

Yes, this album is original. In fact, I would argue that everything Queen produced was original. One of Queen's most endearing qualities was their ability to take familiar genres, such as gospel, hard rock, and vaudeville, and make it their own. 

The sound is incredibly polished and detailed. Even after a decade of listening to this album, I still find things that I haven't heard before. For example, there are many counter melodies in Somebody to Love that completely slipped by me until I listened to an acappella version. 

Is it consistent?

This is quite possibly their most consistent album. There are no fluff tracks. Each song is outstanding in its own right. Part of the reason why this album is so incredible is that it stands in the shadow of what most fans regard as their best album, A Night at the Opera. So Queen had to step their game up if they were to have continued success. The pressure was definitely on to create a worthy sequel!

Stand-out tracks?

All of them...but if I had a gun put to my head and I had to choose ...

Tie Your Mother Down

Somebody to Love

Other favorites...

You and I
Long Away
Millionaire Waltz

Stand-out lyrics?

"Take heart, my friend, we love you
Though it seems like you're alone
A million lights above you
Smile down upon your home"

- Long Away, written by Brian May

"Bring out the charge of the love brigade
There is spring in the air once again
Drink to the sound of the song parade
There is music and love everywhere
Give a little love to me
Take a little love from me,
I want to share it with you
I feel like a millionaire"

- The Millionaire Waltz, written by Freddie Mercury

"White man, white man
Our country was green and all our rivers wide
White man, white man
You came with a gun and soon our children died
White man, white man
Don't you give a light for the blood you've shed?"

- White Man, written by Brian May

How does it fit in with the artists other work or doesn't it? 

This album is the culmination of what many call the Classic Queen era. Since their first album, Queen had been innovative in creating intricate songs in a very progressive (and glam rock) style. Everything they did up until this point was incredibly detailed and sophisticated (well, as sophisticated as a rock band can be anyway). After this album, due to the punk movement, Queen decided to strip their sound and become more grounded in simple rock (meaning more jamming and less polishing). That's not to say the quality of their songs dwindled. Instead, they shifted their style and created huge hits like Fat Bottomed GIrls, We Will Rock You, and Another One BItes the Dust.

What about the artwork?

Freddie Mercury designed the crest. It shows the Q for Queen with a crown, two lions, a crab and two fairies representing the zodiac signs of the band members, leo (Roger Taylor and John Deacon), cancer (Brian May) and virgo (Freddie Mercury). On top of the Q you have the Phoenix, the bird of classical Greek mythology, who rose from the ashes symbolizing immortality, resurrection and life after death.

Value for money?

Priceless. You can't put a price on Queen.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Strange Town
  • Strange Town

Looking at you, Mission/Heist failing Randoms

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:18 PM

Rush - Signals (1982)

signals-cover1-600x600.jpg

Is it original?

Yes. I don't think there's a band with an equal sound to Rush. They were very original in that.

Progressive. The synthesizers were used, not abused, leaving space for Alex Lifeson and his guitar to do their work.

Is it consistent? 

Yes. Very good from top to bottom.

Stand-out tracks?

Subdivisions, Digital Man, The Weapon (Part II of Fear), Losing It.

Stand-out lyrics?

"The writer stare with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined

And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more..."

Reference to Ernest Hemingway in "Losing It."

This album marked the band's heavy use of synthesizers, which would become evident on their next three albums. Their previous albums were a lot more progressive, which the band shot down two albums ago, due to the songs' complexity wearing down the band's members.

What about the artwork?

It's still unknown.

Value for money?

Very good. Recommended.

Personnel:

Geddy Lee - vocals, bass, synthesizers

Alex Lifeson - guitar

Neil Peart - drums

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Duine Síochánta

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Great reading, Strange Town, TheKillerDonuts and Killer Queen! Keep up the great posts!

• Donut, Queen and Strange Town like this

Vega LVI
  • Vega LVI

Gravedancer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:36 PM Edited by Vega LVI, 01 July 2015 - 03:02 AM.

ExileMainSt.jpg

Exile on Main St. (1971)

The Rolling Stones

----------
1. Is it original?
Maybe not as experimental as some of their other albums (Their Satanic Majesties RequestBlack and Blue, and Undercover, just to name a few), but The Rolling Stones do incorporate fresh, new aspects, along with their standard blues-rock sound, such as hard rock, soul, country, and even gospel. The Stones are a band known for their ability to integrate several genres of music into their own signature style, and they achieve that extremely well with Exile on Main St., just in a more traditional way.

2. How would you describe the sound?
The sound is well-recorded and mixed; perfect for the time, and for The Stones. Being very diverse musicians, they can tackle different tempos of songs, and deliver them very well. For example, a somber ballad of theirs can move you to tears, while a brash, fast-paced song can get your blood pumping. All in all, the tracks are clear and crisp, and suit the mood The Stones are trying to get you in.

3. Is it consistent?
For the most part, yes. The first ten tracks are pure excellence; The Rolling Stones at their finest. However, the final eight tracks are all good songs, but ones like Turd on the Run, and Soul Survivor, I can see not pleasing some listeners. But on the whole, the album is quite consistent in terms of quality and worth.

4. Stand-out tracks?
All of the tracks are great in their own respect, but the strongest ones for me are (in order): Rocks OffRip This JointCasino BoogieTumbling DiceSweet VirginiaSweet Black AngelLoving CupHappyLet It Loose, and All Down the Line.

5. Stand-out lyrics?
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have such an ability to write great songs, in terms of both the music, and the lyrics. Exile on Main St. is no exception to this. I could literally punch out a novel of all the best lines on this album, but I'll choose three that stand out the most to me:

"Heading for the overload,
splattered on the dirty road,
kick me like you've kicked before,
I can't even feel the pain no more.

And I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming,
I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeping.

Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene,
it's all mesmerized, all that inside me.
The sunshine bores the daylights out of me,
chasing shadows moonlight mystery."
(Rocks Off, track 1)
----- 
"Yes, I got the desert in my toenail,
and I hid the speed inside my shoe.

But come on, come on down, Sweet Virginia,
come on, honey child, I beg of you.
Come one, come on down, you got it in ya,
got to scrape the sh*t right off your shoes."
(Sweet Virginia, track 6)
-----
"I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.
I'm the man that brings you roses when you ain't got none.
Well, I can run, and jump, and fish, but I won't fight,
you if you want to push, and pull with me all night.

Give me a little drink from your loving cup.
Just one drink, and I'll fall down drunk."
(Loving Cup, track 9)

6. How does it fit in with the artist's other work?
Exile on Main St. is a great finish to The Stones' 'Golden Age'. It offers great variety in terms of music and lyrical content, but ties in perfectly with their previous three albums, Beggars BanquetLet It Bleed, and Sticky Fingers. The next few albums to follow Exile launch a new era in The Rolling Stones' career, but base their own unique aspects (such as funk, reggae, and punk) off this album's diverse tracklist.

7. What about the artwork?
The artwork is... phenomenal. It really portrays the time perfectly, with its vast array of captivating photos, including ones of tattoos parlors, circus freaks, Main Street in Los Angeles, Native American dancers, variety shows... Reminds me of a chaotic, slipshod version of the cover to Some Girls. Even if you hate The Stones, this album art grabs your attention.

8. Value for the money?
Exile on Main St. is priceless to me. It's a timeless classic, and proves that The Rolling Stones are one of the greatest music acts of all-time. Provides plenty of variety to keep anyone intrigued, as well as that blues-rock sound the band is known for. Perfect for any fan of The Stones (how have you not listened to this by now?), classic rock fan (how have you not listened to this by now?), or anybody who likes an album with lots to offer (how have you not listened to this by now?).
----------

Personnel:
Mick Jagger (lead vocals, harmonica, percussion... guitar)
Keith Richards (backing vocals, guitars... lead vocals ('Happy'), bass guitar)
Mick Taylor (guitars, slide guitar... bass guitar)
Bill Wyman (bass guitar)
Charlie Watts (drums, percussion)

+ Additional personnel, but there are too many to name...
  • Mister Pink and Zondar like this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:51 AM Edited by Tatsuya, 02 July 2015 - 11:56 AM.

Man, it's been a while.
pink-moon-4fe85677dec6d.jpg
Pink Moon - Nick Drake (1972)

Is it original? Yeah, I would say so. It has completely original songs written by Drake and the sound is very refreshing.
How would you describe the sound? The sound is completely different from his first two albums, which have lush orchestration, is gone from this album. The tracks have been stripped down to just him and his acoustic guitar, which is beautiful. The simplicity is great on this album.
There is a piano overdub on the title (and first) track.
Fun fact: John Cale played on Bryer Layer (his second album) and Drake was apparently awestruck at his musical abilities.
Is it consistent? I'd say it's fairly consistent.
Stand-out tracks? All of them. They're all beautiful. If I had to pick, I would say Pink Moon, Road, Which Will, Parasite and From The Morning.
Stand-out lyrics? "And we rise, and we are everywhere" - From The Morning
"Take a look, you may see me, on the ground. For I am the parasite of this town" - Parasite
How does it fit in with the artists other work or does it? It doesn't, at all. Five Leaves Left and Bryer Layer, like I said above, have very lush orchestration, while this is completely stripped down to an acoustic, his voice and a piano overdub.
What about the artwork? Freakin' awesome.
Value for money? Yes, definitely. I picked up a vinyl copy for £16.00, and it sounds wonderful.

Overall, I'd Highly Recommend it.

Personnel:
Nick Drake: Voice, acoustic guitar and piano.

Production
John Wood producer, engineer

Design personnel
Michael Trevithick artwork
Keith Morris photography
C.C.S. Associates typography
  • Mister Pink likes this

Platypus Chairlines
  • Platypus Chairlines

Flying chairs carrying platys

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:43 PM Edited by pavulabreaker, 05 July 2015 - 12:51 AM.

x_d2b4d1ba.jpg

Green Day - American Idiot (2004)
Will be continued...

Pyrrhic
  • Pyrrhic

you will never be one of us

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:23 AM Edited by Linc., 06 July 2015 - 09:06 AM.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# 

(1997) [Post-rock] [Compact Disc edition] 

Gybeinfinity.jpg

Plainly stated, this is the saddest record I have ever listened to. Rather than a way with words, GYBE have a way with music. The three tracks have no lyrics, bar a few opening monologues and dialogues throughout. The band utilises various instruments to create their unique sound, a blend of orchestral melodies and the depression of post-rock. The tracks are separated into numerous movements, all of which merge seamlessly into the next. 

The originality of this record is astounding. I personally haven't ever listened to a complete album of this standard which sounds even vaguely similar by a different artist, not to say one doesn't exist. GYBE's influence on the post-rock music scene with this debut release is also widespread. The band gained a cult following after its release, spawning groups of fans across the globe sharing their great interest in a sound that had never been heard before.

The sound itself is dark, gloomy and creates a fearful atmosphere. The first track of the record, "Dead Flag Blues", perfectly sums up the following tracks in its very opening. The monologue reads: "The car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel. And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides, and a dark wind blows". The instrumental movements themselves are filled with string sections, as well as synthesised guitar and piano. These pieces are sad, like really sad. I don't actually know how they did it but it's gloriously depressing. The first time I listened to this record from start to finish I teared up, I cried. Same for the second and the third. I can't imagine how many times I've listened to this record in just a matter of months. The third and final track "Providence", which clocks in at 29:02, is a journey from beginning to end. Again, its monologue acts as a pretext to the story in which it tells, a story of corruption and distrust.

The albums artwork is a visualisation of the feelings that the record evokes in the listener. It's dark, it's gritty and it makes you not want to be there. It's scary, as is the album. I love it. I love it all. It's a one-hour journey through the mind of the writer, someone stuck in a part of their life that they are desperately trying to escape but cannot. 

Melancholy.

Personnel:

Aidan Girt - drums

Bruce Cawdron - percussion

Christophe - violin

David Bryant - guitar

Efrim Menuck - electric guitar

Mauro Pezzente - bass

Mike Moya - guitar, banjo

Norsola Johnson - cello

Thea Pratt - french horn

Thierry Amar - bass

• Vega LVI likes this

Vega LVI
  • Vega LVI

Gravedancer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:55 AM Edited by Vega LVI, 08 July 2015 - 12:08 AM.

In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_

In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)

King Crimson

-----------

1. Is it original?

Definitely so, considering it is one of the pioneer albums that helped build the progressive rock album. In addition, the record is lined with jazz and symphonic elements, which also began a breakaway from the traditional blues-oriented rock music that dominated the 1960s.

2. How would you consider the sound?

The recording process was not by any means perfect, but for the time, it was done well for the most part. With this said, modern-day remastered versions clean-up any auditory issues that may have existed on the original LPs.

3. Is it consistent?

There are only five tracks (spanning forty-five minutes), however, each track is completely unique to itself and stands out from every other song on the list. On top of that, four of the tracks have two sub-sections, which offers even more variety to each song.

4. Stand-out tracks?

All five tracks are monumental, especially 21st Century Schizoid ManEpitaph, and In the Court of the Crimson King.

5. Stand-out lyrics?

"Cat's foot, iron claw,

neuro-surgeons scream for more,

at paranoia's poison door,

21st century schizoid man.

Blood rack, barbed wire,

politician's funeral pyre,

innocence raped with napalm fire,

21st century schizoid man...

Dead sea, blind man's greed,

Poet's starving, children bleed,

nothing he's got, he really needs,

21st century schizoid man."

(21st Century Schizoid Man, track 1)

-----

"The wall on which the prophets wrote,

is cracking at the seams.

Upon the instruments of death,

the sunlight brightly beams.

When every man is torn apart,

with nightmares and with dreams.

Will no one lay the laurel wreath,

when silence drowns the screams?

Confusion will be my epitaph,

as I crawl a cracked and broken path.

If we make it, we can all sit back and laugh,

but I fear tomorrow, I'll be crying,

yes, I fear tomorrow, I'll be crying,

yes, I fear tomorrow, I'll be crying."

(Epitaph, track 3)

6. How does it fit in with the artist's other work?

King Crimson is known for their tendency to use new influences mixed with their progressive rock foundation, as well as engaging with contemporary music technology, and with In the Court of the Crimson King, the group placed the first stepping stone into their illustrious career.

7. What about the artwork?

Painted by Barry Gobder, the artwork was best described by band leader Robert Fripp: "If you cover the smiling face, the eyes reveal an incredible face of sadness. What can one add? It reflects the music."

8. Value for the money?

Without a doubt, In the Court of the Crimson King should be owned by any fan of progressive rock. With a duration of nearly an hour, the album tells an informing story about life during the 1960s, to an eerie, somber mood.

----------

Personnel:

Robert Fripp (guitars)

Michael Giles (backing vocals, drums, percussion)

Greg Lake (lead vocals, bass guitar)

Ian McDonald (backing vocals, keyboards, mellotron, various woodwinds, vibraphone)

Peter Sinfield (lyrics, illumination)

• Pyrrhic likes this

Onett
  • Onett

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:27 AM Edited by Tatsuya, 08 August 2015 - 01:05 PM.

5552412108_b69f47576a_z_d.jpg

Is This It - The Strokes (2001)

1) Is it original? Yeah.

2) How would you describe the sound? The sound definitely owes a lot to the garage rock scene of the late 60's and the 70's. The guitar work sounds a whole lot like The Velvet Underground or Television, though the band had never heard of Television before making this album. It's also mixed very well, it gives the vocals room, the drums sound punchy and the guitars really forceful and fuzzy.
Julian Casablanca's distorted vocals also add another layer of fuzziness, and it's really well done.

3) Is it consistent? It has it's fair share of slow burners (such as the title track) and it has it's share of almost schizophrenic tracks (such as New York City Cops, which was unfortunately removed from the American track listing due to 9/11) but it's sequenced well, so it doesn't give you mood whiplash from track to track.

4) Stand-out tracks? The whole damn album, but if I had to pick, I'd pick the title track, The Modern Age, Someday, Alone, Together, Last Nite, New York City Cops and Barely Legal.

5) Stand-out lyrics? "Work hard and say it's easy/ Do it just to please me/ Tomorrow will be different/ So I'll pretend I'm leaving" - The Modern Age "I just lied to get to your apartment" - Is This It

6) How does it fit in with the artists other work or does it? It fits in well with their other work, especially their second album.

7) What about the artwork? The artwork I've used is from the U.S. release of Is This It, as the UK version is kinda NSFW, and besides, I like the US cover art better. The U.S. artwork is of a diagram of The Big Bang Theory.

8) Value for money? I'd say you do. If you get the CD version, you get a bonus DVD with a few live performances, which are worth your time to watch I think.

Personnel:
The Strokes
Julian Casablancas - vocals
Nikolai Fraiture - bass guitar
Albert Hammond, Jr. - guitar
Fabrizio Moretti - drums
Nick Valensi - guitar
Production
JP Bowersock - consultant
Greg Calbi - mastering
Gordon Raphael - producer, mixing
Design
Colin Lane - photography, cover art (non-U.S. and Canada)
European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) - cover art (U.S. and Canada)

Extra thoughts: Holy crap, do I love this album. I don't know what it is I love about it, the lyrics are great, painting this picture of wasted youth and being a teenager. The guitars are great, it's not "I Wanna Be Your Dog" levels of distortion, but it's fuzzy enough. Like I said in the review, the drums are also great, you can hear every beat, every cymbal crash even without high quality headphones. And I'm glad it wasn't a victim of the Loudness Wars that we're going on at the time.
Easily in my top 10 of favourite albums.
  • Mister Pink and Vega LVI like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users