Photo

The Ballad of Gay Tony appreciation thread

89 replies to this topic
Pau Diaz
  • Pau Diaz

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:46 AM Edited by Pau Diaz, 18 October 2014 - 09:47 AM.

I finished TBOGT yesterday. Hands down, it is the most well finished and inventive of all the add ons for GTA IV. It has the most innovative weapons and features, namely the explosive shotgun, the sticky bombs, the parachute, the golf course and the dancing. Also, the characters are the most funny, dramatic and despicable. The city is better rendered than ever before. TLAD had some really cool features and TBOGT improves upon them. It gives the city a little more vibrant, the missions are a little more original and varied.

I am blessed to have played as Louis Lopez. He was a great character, a loyal friend, an impregnable fortress of a man with a fine sense of honor, in his own way. What say you about this add on?

• Official General, albanyave, Peregrin Brandytook and 5 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

I've always had mixed feelings about TBOGT, but when I sit back and take it for what it is it's a really good game. The nightclub scene adds a new dimension to the city and I enjoy the new additions such as caged fighting, club management etc.

Is it better than GTA IV and TLAD? Well to me it isn't because I simply like Niko and Johnny more than Luis and the dark and gritty tones of both are more appealing to me, but TBOGT is still a very good game in its own right and does a nice job of completing the trinity.:)
  • lilchris131, albanyave, ryd3r007 and 7 others like this

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

^And it's of course better than V. Well, every other GTA game is.

• Algonquin Assassin, Peregrin Brandytook, MorsPrincipiumEst and 4 others like this

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

Blolla 9HA

• Facade
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GFX]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by Cristiano Ronaldo 7, 18 October 2014 - 04:37 PM.

GTA TBOGT

Well Luis;To me is a pretty different kind of character.He doesnt care much abt. other peoples and doesnt have had good relations with family too.Still he is a nice guy;But Richness and Night Club business is all he wants.So obviously he is my less favorite character compared to Niko.But I still like Playing TBOGT due to other benifits it has over other Gta Games.

Also; Luis aint a very Bad Guy. :^:

• Pastry and Payne Killer like this

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

The missions and features are execellent. I have real hard time picking my favourite mission, there's just soo many good ones. Like Dropping In, Departure Time, Sexy Time, Caught with your pants down, and the list goes on. Features like the Parachute makes for some amazing mission opputunities, and I throughly enjoyed the triathlons, more than the ones from GTA V. The side missions you do for celebrities, in club management are great too.

The characters and story is pisspoor though. TBOGT really feels like the precursor of GTA V, in that  aspect. Luis is mostly uninteresting and unlikeable, he's distant and malicious towards every single character in the game, at one time or another, 

I've warmed allot more to the game than when I first played it, but the story is just so boring, the redeming parts, being the GTA IV and TLAD tie ins.

TBOGT is a really good game, but it pales in comparison to the similary lenghed TLAD, in my opinion. 

• Journey_95 likes this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

TBOGT is more enjoyable than V. Well to me it is, it feels like SA and a mix of IV, which is what V was trying to be but failed.
  • Algonquin Assassin, albanyave, Gokuzbu and 5 others like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:21 PM Edited by Militia, 18 October 2014 - 10:23 PM.

I've always had mixed feelings about TBOGT, but when I sit back and take it for what it is it's a really good game. The nightclub scene adds a new dimension to the city and I enjoy the new additions such as caged fighting, club management etc.

Is it better than GTA IV and TLAD? Well to me it isn't because I simply like Niko and Johnny more than Luis and the dark and gritty tones of both are more appealing to me, but TBOGT is still a very good game in its own right and does a nice job of completing the trinity. :)

Club Management -  :sui:  :sui:

How much more boring could it get? :p  You spot check the club 4-5 times and throw someone out before each of the 8 Club Management Missions.  It's another repetitive, boring, feature worth 10% of the progress of the game.  The Base Jumps were kinda lame, too.  Same thing, 15 times.  Triathalons were decent, though...

For me, TBoGT was a mixed bag.  I prefer IV and TLaD to TBoGT.  I only really liked Drug Wars, tbh, due to all the combinations of vehicles which could be found within.

The missions weren't bad, but some of them were kinda lame, too.  The Weapons were really cool, though.  Also, Yusuf is probably one of my favorite characters out of ALL GTA Games to date.

I must add as well that the APC is a load of sh*t.  It is destroyed before I can even obtain 6 stars.

Overall, TBoGT isn't bad, but for me it was certainly a mixed bag.  Having the replay feature for missions is pretty cool, though, cuz if you fail a mission on a replay, it doesn't count as a mission failure in your stats, so you can obtain some of the vehicles in the game this way...

But yeah, TBoGT is better than V easily.  V is the worst! :p

• Algonquin Assassin, Pastry and Uncle Vlad like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

TBOGT is more enjoyable than V. Well to me it is, it feels like SA and a mix of IV, which is what V was trying to be but failed.

This. To TBOGT's credit it feels completely different to GTA IV and TLAD. GTA V doesn't know whether it wants to be SA or GTA IV.

• Onett, fefenc, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:51 AM Edited by Official General, 26 October 2014 - 01:53 PM.

TBOGT was my favorite out of the two Episodes, I liked it better than TLAD. TLAD had a better story, but TBOGT just had that all-round good feel about it. I really enjoyed the Dug Wars missions, it added that much needed emphasis on the drug trade in Liberty City, they were explosive fun. There was also the inclusion of the Northwood Dominican Drug Dealers, I loved seeing conflict between them and other gangs. Club Management was a little repetitive, but it came with side missions, and it added some nice variety to the activities, and so did the cage-fighting, which offered gambling and fighting. TGBOT had a host of funny characters too, it was great entertainment. And I loved the insight and focus on Liberty City's vibrant, glitzy, but seedy nightlife. And Yusuf was funny as f*ck !!

For a DLC, TBOGT offered a lot. 

• Algonquin Assassin, gunziness, albanyave and 7 others like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

Just like the white winged dove

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

How is it that fefenc isn't the OP?

TBoGT was my first Last Gen GTA. I remember it was around 2010 when I bought the physical copy of Episodes from Liberty City and it was the first episode I wanted to play, since I already made my mind on it before buying it, watching gameplays and trailers really got me into it. I've always liked Luis, but Niko went inmediatly to the first place ever since I played GTA IV, which was about a month later.

I really really like the nightclubs, easily my favorite addition and minigame, I like the party atmosphere and the music playing on the clubs is really good. My favorite is Bahama Mamas but sadly, Rockstar never opened it during freeroam, not even before Boulevard Baby, I'm still waiting them to patch that up, yeah, it's very unlikely, I know. The weapons and vehicles are very nice too, they definitely had fresh and good ideas for both episodes to make them unique when compared to GTA IV.

The story wasn't dramatic, it wanted to go for a SA-ish style and it did good, crazy, addictive and good action missions offering a "happier" story to the IV table but managed to keep it interesting, with funny moments and not dumb, so I think it fits and does well showing the other side of the coin with a man who's making it good at life, protecting his friends and trying to do the right things, keeping the GTA style of protagonist and funny characters such as Yusuf, Mori, Armando, Henrique. Luis is like V's Franklin, and even though Luis is a DLC character I think he's better developed and more interesting. I know Spanish and it feels good to understand what he says, Niko motivated me to study Serbian a little bit.

• Algonquin Assassin, gunziness, Kampret and 5 others like this

TheGr8Cornholio
  • TheGr8Cornholio

Outlaw

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

It seems that about 80% of the people of this forum hates GTA V. Still everybody has different opinions and I respect that, so don't bother on trying to explain to me why you hate V because I actually like the game. :)

Back on topic - TBoGT was a great improvement over TLAD and IV, not I didn't enjoy them and played them for hours like a sick f*ck, and its new content and activities made me come back to it like five times already. I gotta say that I actually liked Luis as a character, not as much as Niko, because of how he looks after his mother and how he remains loyal to Tony through all the game.

The new cars and the triathlon felt as a fresh and great addition to the core mechanics of the game, it was fun to freefall and open the parachute until the last minute in order reach the boat. And the story was a pretty good complement to the events of IV and TLAD, top notch.

• Pastry and The Deadite like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:28 AM Edited by fefenc, 19 October 2014 - 03:19 PM.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I would play simcity 4 now, but I've seen this thread and I must comment here.

Luis is a perfect protagonist, he completed the diamond trilogy with class and style, I don't know why, but the game felt more alive when playing with him. The club management thing is fkn funny, Joni is a bit ugly ingame, but her artwork is just fappable and Luis bangs her everytime, he can bang everyone on the club and he can blow up a plane without getting a single scratch, he's stylish, he's the fkn bawss.

10314462_636901756430964_299067124898870

I personally think that TBoGT got the missions difficulty at a whole new level because it's the only GTA IV trilogy that I got forced to use another weapon than a pistol to beat some missions like the maisonette shootout and I almost lost my mind trying to beat the cage fighters without dodging attacks and blog this.

Tony is a funny guy, he's as well developed character as Luis, his/her sterichal mood is naughty and made me laugh at some parts of the game, I don't know what happens with him at the ending, but looks like Yusuf buys his 2 clubs.

No doubts Yusuf is the best sub character ever created on the HD era;

Hello mahh NIGGA!!!

This guy is epic, I always laugh my ass off when he calls Luis as Nigga and he get pissed off. His golden painted stuff just make his stereotype more real, he's a good guy with his friends, but he can blow your sh*t off in a golden chopper if you mess with him or his friends. One of the few flaws of GTA TBoGT is the fact it isn't possible to hang out with him, the other one is his car handling.

Armando was a prick, but he was a good friend for Luis, not too much, but he was good, apart of putting Luis inside. His gays jokes to Luis is lulz. Henrique, by the other hand, he was fine, he's a good guy, but he's too much naive, dumb and blinded by Armando that makes him think his only way to survive on Liberty City is being a personal puppet on Armando's deals. It's sad how both of them had potential to be more involved on the game plot, but R* decided to put them aside.

Mori were disgusting and I felt bad for brucie, not as bad as I felt for Niko after the TRUE IV ending, but I felt bad for him and when he punched that annoying midget on the nose, I got relieved.

10734077_636901823097624_850094412169607

What I have to say is GTA TBoGT is the best GTA IV Trilogy GTA and Luis is the best HD era GTA character ever created, he has style, class and a golden UZI that ruins every arguement against him. I hope Yusuf also bought Bahama's Mamas after TBoGT events.

• Voit Turyv and EatingPlums like this

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

^You're entitled to your opinion, but by your Logic, if Niko had the golden Uzi, he would be a better protagonist than Luis. Which actually sums up perfectly how I felt about TBOGT as a whole. it was all flashy and "in your face" but with very little substance. You like Luis because he bangs Woman and have a golden Uzi, that is pretty stupid. Next you're telling me Mario beats Niko as a protagonist too, since he has red overalls. 

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

The dialogue that A, H, and L are saying over and over when doing Drug Wars got so annoying I had to mute the TV, LOL...They say the same lines of dialogue over and over depending on the Drug War you are doing (Stash, Stickup, Convoy, Highjack).

It was funny in the beginning, but then it just got annoying after hearing it 200 times as I had to reload dozens of times over and over just to get a certain vehicle to spawn in the Drug Wars I wanted to obtain...

Pau Diaz
  • Pau Diaz

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:58 PM Edited by Pau Diaz, 19 October 2014 - 12:58 PM.

I wish Luis had been the star of GTA IV. Niko was okay, but he conformed too much to the stereotype of the ruthless, greedy, ilegal immigrant type. Roman was a big baby that had been deprived of his mother's milk as a child, as strongly suggested  by his obsession with women. They made a good team, I must admit, but they lacked the flare for the dramatic that Luis, Tony, Yusev and Mori had. The villains of GTA IV were acceptable, but again, too based on simplified images of good and bad. The cast of TLAD and TBOGT, combined with deeper bad guys would have made for a really compelling adventure.  

• fefenc likes this

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

^You're entitled to your opinion, but by your Logic, if Niko had the golden Uzi, he would be a better protagonist than Luis. Which actually sums up perfectly how I felt about TBOGT as a whole. it was all flashy and "in your face" but with very little substance. You like Luis because he bangs Woman and have a golden Uzi, that is pretty stupid. Next you're telling me Mario beats Niko as a protagonist too, since he has red overalls. 

Luis is better than Niko and Super Mario, the cry is free :D

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by simonp92, 19 October 2014 - 05:49 PM.

Come with a better arguement than a golden gun. 

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:12 PM Edited by fefenc, 19 October 2014 - 09:14 PM.

A golden chopper.

• gunziness, EatingPlums and The Deadite like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

How about the Golden Floater (Boat) ?

Lol

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

A golden chopper.

You don't seem to get it. A materilistic thing does not make a character good. Nobody likes Johnny because of his hexer. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

IMO Luis doesn't have much going for him to be worthy of being the star. He's an ok protagonist, but he was utilised far too similar to how Franklin was in GTA V, but at least Franklin had motives of getting out of the hood. What's Luis' motives?

Niko wanted to bury his past and Johnny done everything to keep The Lost from imploding, but Luis never seemed to have a personal motivation and was content to be the servant to Tony.

Of all the 26 missions I never felt like Luis really progressed as a person and some might say this wasn't enough time, but Johnny didn't seem to have any such hassle and I thought R* done a much better job with his characterisation.

Luis isnt terrible, but I'm glad he isn't the star of GTA IV/EFLC. That rightly goes to my man Niko.

As for characters like Yusuf I honestly don't see what the appeal is of him. Kind of like Lamar actually.

Personally characters like Vlad and Stubbs who might not necessarily have the eccentric and over the top flare are more humouress to me.
  • simonp92, Official General, dognuts and 2 others like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

TBOGT's drug wars and fight club sh*ts all over V's sports, stock market and f*cking yoga. hell, luis is miles better than that dumb, hillbilly, inconsistant, one-dimensional, bisexual douche from Canada who you all know but i don't even feel like mentioning his name.
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Official General and 3 others like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:44 PM Edited by maxpaynefan, 20 October 2014 - 07:01 PM.

^

fkyclt.jpg

I don't like trevor by the way.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Niobium and 1 other like this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

For a while I hated TBOGT, but when I sit back and play it now I really do think that it's what we needed to complete the IV trinity. Story and tone-wise, I do prefer IV TLAD, but I think if we had of gotten another dark and depressing story then there would have been no real difference between IV and TLAD.

While TLAD feels like a true add-on to IV, TBOGT just feels like a whole new game just with the same map. It gives me some nice variety. Want something that's going to keep me entertained for a long period of time? I play IV. I want something with the same amazing substance just in a smaller package? I play TLAD. I want to laugh and blow sh*t up? I play TBOGT. I love them all to be honest.

Also I liked the change in style of characters too. Yeah IV and TLAD had some good well rounded side characters I got a lot of satisfaction out of seeing on screen like Billy. But then here we have Tony and Yusuf, both with their unique charm and styles of humor.
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Official General and 2 others like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

As for characters like Yusuf I honestly don't see what the appeal is of him. Kind of like Lamar actually.

Ryder > Yusuf and Lamar

Bunch of bustas if you ask me :p

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

I love TBOGT. It has IV's physics and LC as the backdrop but it's fun over the top action and it showed us a different side of LC. The life portrayed in the game very much is a part of the real NYC so I am glad they showed it in the game.

• Official General likes this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Does anyone here still play TBOGT? Besides fefenc.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:12 PM Edited by Militia, 21 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.

I did...Up until yesterday and played it for 9-11 days in a row.  :pp

• Payne Killer likes this

Lowi
  • Lowi

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

IMO TBoGT>IV

• fefenc likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Does anyone here still play TBOGT? Besides fefenc.

When I feel like shooting up a whole club, yes. Apart from that, nope :(

• Payne Killer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users