425 replies to this topic
Dottie
  • Dottie

click

• Facade
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

It wasnt someone driving but a person decides to dart across the street as soon as the light turns green (note he was standing there for at least a minute while the traffic was green in the direction he was heading). Stupid people these days

Inked_666
  • Inked_666

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

This is basically how it should be everywhere I think, but it doesn't happen in Britain either, everyone's all over the place (usually counting on major traffic ahead so getting in lane well before hand)

I was in Crete earlier this year though and them Greeks are some crazy drivers! Overtaking on either side, driving side by side in the same lane, driving into oncoming traffic constantly, I was a bag of nerves the whole time we were on the road!

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

Sorry there are some out-of-place posts here, I've merged the two threads on this topic together.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:18 AM Edited by Svip, 23 October 2014 - 09:19 AM.

East European and Dutch lorry drivers terrify me.  More often than not they got magnets on their transmission, so their limiters are off and their tachographs aren't recording their driving.  Trust me, being overtaken by a lorry doing 110 km/h is not fun.  And since they aren't fulfilling their rest requirements, they are likely to be a bit disoriented.

I mean, most lorry drivers are actually somewhat considerate on the motorways, but when you see things like this, you think shiiiiiit:

Dottie
  • Dottie

click

• Facade
  • NATO

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

East European and Dutch lorry drivers terrify me.  More often than not they got magnets on their transmission, so their limiters are off and their tachographs aren't recording their driving.  Trust me, being overtaken by a lorry doing 110 km/h is not fun.  And since they aren't fulfilling their rest requirements, they are likely to be a bit disoriented.

I mean, most lorry drivers are actually somewhat considerate on the motorways, but when you see things like this, you think shiiiiiit:

[video]

Thats what happens when out of state drivers drive on our highway (large trucks have to pass their slow ass causing even more bottle necking)

LightningLord
  • LightningLord

On Top of Mountains, Under Stars

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:09 AM

Sick of people cutting me off.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

[video]

Thats what happens when out of state drivers drive on our highway (large trucks have to pass their slow ass causing even more bottle necking)

In the video in question, I don't understand why the lorry is suddenly - and violently - changing lane into the overtaking lane (where there is a van). He is clearly losing control, not trying to overtake someone.

Dottie
  • Dottie

click

• Facade
  • NATO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

There was a large truck in the passing lane for absolutely no reason today (note: a left hand exit was no where near). Stupid decisions....

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

youtube.com/watch?v=lgJlBY6uc-w

As you said most of these guys driving endless hours, I thinking he probably almost collapsed and got scared?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

As you said most of these guys driving endless hours, I thinking he probably almost collapsed and got scared?

That could be a reason. But that's another thing that sometimes terrifies me. The only reason traffic works most of the time is because there is a mutual desire not to get killed. What if a suicidal drivers appears in the oncoming traffic? Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet (at least not one that really wanted to hit me), but I am confident such persons are sometimes on the roads.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

It's every common here in highways connecting major cities. 

It's frightening the amount of reports you hear from people falling asleep for several minutes. Although most of these, are driving small vehicles that will slowly hit the rails or that other drivers can go around and warn them. Insert a big truck instead and the outcome will become dramatically different.  

mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

That could be a reason. But that's another thing that sometimes terrifies me. The only reason traffic works most of the time is because there is a mutual desire not to get killed. What if a suicidal drivers appears in the oncoming traffic? Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet (at least not one that really wanted to hit me), but I am confident such persons are sometimes on the roads.

The suicidal thing is very common, so much that a lot of truck drivers are being instructed in what to do in a situation where someone head-ons you

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

The suicidal thing is very common, so much that a lot of truck drivers are being instructed in what to do in a situation where someone head-ons you

Are they at least so 'considerate' that they only go for lorries rather than regular cars? Thinking the lorry would be able to stand the impact, so they only kill themselves rather than someone else as well. Of course, lorry drivers and bus drivers aren't as protected as you might think. Particularly not bus drivers.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

I can imagine most lorry drivers not using the seat belt, as for buses, most of them around here are not even equipped with them.

Dottie
  • Dottie

click

• Facade
  • NATO

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:04 PM

I can imagine most lorry drivers not using the seat belt, as for buses, most of them around here are not even equipped with them.

Fairly certain that it was proven that seatbelts were actually less safe on busses. At least on school busses

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:12 AM Edited by 79'Blazer4x4, 26 October 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Are they at least so 'considerate' that they only go for lorries rather than regular cars? Thinking the lorry would be able to stand the impact, so they only kill themselves rather than someone else as well. Of course, lorry drivers and bus drivers aren't as protected as you might think. Particularly not bus drivers.

Either way it's inconsiderate. They don't think of the semi(lorry) driver that has to deal with the guilt of killing someone for the rest of their life. Even if it's not the truck driver's fault and they couldn't have done anything to avoid the car it would still be traumatizing for them. And that's without mentioning all the pain it causes to the people who care about the suicidal person. Not sure if I've told this particular story or not here but as I mentioned before, I operated a CAT 657E scraper for a while. I didn't experience or see this as it was at a different site and I heard about it from the superintendent of the company. Apparently there was a 657E with a load on coming down a rather steep hill with a car crossing at the bottom(cars were supposed to yield to heavy machinery). A car with a driver and 3 passengers didn't yield and just went. The scraper obviously couldn't stop since it's a near 200 ton machine going down a steep incline and hit the car, everyone in the car died on impact. The operator apparently quit and had to go to therapy after the incident.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

Well, seat belt is pretty much compulsory everywhere. So if lorry drivers are not wearing seat belts, they are braking the law. I cannot begin to imagine why you think most lorry drivers don't wear seat belts. It's not like they are uncomfortable like they used to be.

As for buses, it's true that city buses are not fitted with seat belts for the passengers, but coaches are. But there will always be a seat belt for the driver.

Either way it's inconsiderate. They don't think of the semi(lorry) driver that has to deal with the guilt of killing someone for the rest of their life. Even if it's not the truck driver's fault and they couldn't have done anything to avoid the car it would still be traumatizing for them. And that's without mentioning all the pain it causes to the people who care about the suicidal person. Not sure if I've told this particular story or not here but as I mentioned before, I operated a CAT 657E scraper for a while. I didn't experience or see this as it was at a different site and I heard about it from the superintendent of the company. Apparently there was a 657E with a load on coming down a rather steep hill with a car crossing at the bottom(cars were supposed to yield to heavy machinery). A car with a driver and 3 passengers didn't yield and just went. The scraper obviously couldn't stop since it's a near 200 ton machine going down a steep incline and hit the car, everyone in the car died on impact. The operator apparently quit and had to go to therapy after the incident.

There was a reason I put 'considerate' in quotation marks. But it's not considerate at all.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Well, seat belt is pretty much compulsory everywhere. So if lorry drivers are not wearing seat belts, they are braking the law. I cannot begin to imagine why you think most lorry drivers don't wear seat belts. It's not like they are uncomfortable like they used to be.

As for buses, it's true that city buses are not fitted with seat belts for the passengers, but coaches are. But there will always be a seat belt for the driver.

It's like one of those well know facts. Lorry drivers, buses, delivery guys, emergency vehicles, cops and taxi drivers. If you see one of those groups actually using a seat belt over here, take a picture because that sh*t is rare. 

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

There was a reason I put 'considerate' in quotation marks. But it's not considerate at all.

I figured that's why you had quotation marks on it, just wanted to expand on it, haha.

Danikov
  • Danikov

The Fake Russian

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Don't you just hate it when two cars are forming a "mobile roadblock" on a single way-two lane road by driving slower than the speed limit,both driving at about the same speed and are parallel to each other.

Dottie
  • Dottie

click

• Facade
  • NATO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

Don't you just hate it when two cars are forming a "mobile roadblock" on a single way-two lane road by driving slower than the speed limit,both driving at about the same speed and are parallel to each other.

Thats when I say f*ck it and pass on the shoulder

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

Thats when I say f*ck it and pass on the shoulder

Or in the ditch, the joy of having a truck XD

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

Those last 2 replies are right at home in this topic, lol.

• uNi likes this

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

Those last 2 replies are right at home in this topic, lol.

I've never actually done it, been pretty tempted a few times though, haha. However, I have seen quite a few trucks make a u-turn by going through the ditch median of the 4 lane divided highway, especially in traffic jams.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

I can't say I've never thought about it.  My better judgement has so far kept me out of trouble..

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

I can't say I've never thought about it.  My better judgement has so far kept me out of trouble..

Same here. There's only been one time where my better judgement wasn't followed, as posted in one of my previous stories in this thread.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:12 AM Edited by W2B, 27 October 2014 - 07:19 AM.

I get stuck behind 2 slow lorries (or trucks) driving side by side as they try to overtake each other at exactly the same speed on a regular basis. Now that's annoying

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Slow drivers make me go more insane than someone driving +200km/h on a highway.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

The other day I passed a guy in a bicycle who had been going by the left lane of a 4 lane road (two for each direction).

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:53 PM

The other day I passed a guy in a bicycle who had been going by the left lane of a 4 lane road (two for each direction).

Seems like some people just have a death wish.

• DriveLikeAViking likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users