Photo

Dumb drivers you've encountered?

405 replies to this topic
SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:19 AM Edited by SouthLand, 15 September 2014 - 08:20 AM.

Before i start b*tching about it, i want to make sure everybody understands this three points:

1. In Spain, you have to drive always on the right lane by law on Highways and use only the middle and left lane to take over. 

2. The law says that each speed limit tells you what speed you must NOT go over. But, you can't go slower than half the limit., in other words, if the limit is 120km/h, it's illegal if you go faster than that, and it's illegal if you drive slower than half of that (60km/h)

3. Overtaking ALWAYS MUST be done by the left lane. NEVER overtake going on the right lane

This is how highways in my country should look like:

Seat driver is driving on the right lane, BMW Driver takes over and then back to right lane.

Autopista-tres-carriles.jpg

This is how it looks in Spain

The Jeep Grand Cherokee driver want to overtake but he cant since cars in the middle lane are driving the same speed as the truck. And the cars in the Left lane are also driving a bit faster but not as much as the truck driver.

quecarrilescojo.jpg

Truck is driving on the middle lane because he feels like it... Cars in front of the truck don't feel like going back to the right lane which means, that when the black Mercedes Van driving on the left lane, reaches the red car in front of him, the red car will not be able to move over to the middle lane to let the Black Mercedes van pass. This will cause a queue.

autopista_2.jpg

Right lane empty, middle lane empty, everybody driving on the left lane. The car ahead that's pressing on the breaks, has to slow down, because the car in front doesn't want to move. Even if you flash your headlights to ask him to move, if he refuses, you will have to do an illegal move that's take over him using the middle lane.

1-Autopista--644x362.jpg

Facepalm...

autovia-253x190.jpg

Once again, right lane empty the rest of the cars driving in the middle and left lane.

1297511518_0.jpg

VIDEOS:

I am sorry i don't know how to drive on the right lane...

Why bother changing lanes...

• AAR likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

There are idiots everywhere. I didn't think Spain was that bad in the grand scheme of things. Better than Italy and most of France anyway.

The worst driving I've ever seen was in Poland or Greece. The Greeks are lunatics on the road.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

You should come to Asia if you want to know the definition of lunatic. China is the absolute worst. Imagine everyone on the road being a first time driver. That is literally what the situation in China is. It's come to the point where I've lost any sort of sympathy when I see car accidents in China as I know it was most likely caused by their idiotic driving and that they are 100% to blame for any situation they put themselves in. In fact I feel happy whenever I see a fender bender as I hope that it will teach those idiots a lesson. China is a nation of complete and utter pillocks, probably why I go crazy whenever I'm there for a week or longer. 

• DriveLikeAViking likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I am not talking about lunatics but most likely on why people in my country don't respect the rules in Highways. 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

They're one and the same. What you've posted is pretty minor in comparison to the blithering idiocy we're referring to.

I f*cking hate middle-lane morons for what it's worth. You know, those people who sit at 68mph in the middle lane of three-lane roads causing bottlenecks.
  • AAR likes this

Zyo
  • Zyo

GTAF Crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Scotland

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:01 AM Edited by Zyo, 15 September 2014 - 11:13 AM.

China is the absolute worst

Vietnam. Traffic laws do not exist. Common sense does not exist.

Europe....

I could write a book about these roads. I will keep this brief though. And I would like to point out that I am not trying to make any insults to any nations, or trying to offend anyone of a particular nationality. I apologise if I do, but my comments come from years of experience in all these countries, not just from one tenting holiday in the 90's. I have lived in most of these places, and visit them regularly for extended periods of time.

Spain, in general is a great place to drive. The highway toll roads are fantastic, they are clean, clear, relatively inexpensive and great for making progress. The country roads aren't too bad. The city highways, like the roads around Barcelona are a bit of a pain, but not any worse than any other major European cities.

Bad places to drive in are:

Germany. Busy, busy, busy roads (except for sundays). Construction every few miles. And jackass drivers who think every road is an Autobahn and come belting up behind you flashing lights like they own the road. Germans are ass*$%^£ on the road. No respect for other drivers and if their car will do 150mph, they will try to do it constantly and expect everyone to get out of their way.

Italians are mental. They have no regard for road safety or traffic laws in general (like the greeks).They are however not bad drivers.

The worst however are the French. France is the only place I really fear for my life on a regular basis while on the roads. I have seen so many terrible accidents all over this country. They don't look around them, they dont know how their cars work, (indicators, pedals)These guys really just shouldnt be allowed to operate any machinery of any kind. Just go grow grapes or make cheese. Do what you are good at, and everyone will be happy.

edit:

Forgot to mention. Tolls in France are exceptionally expensive, and you won't necessarily get a better, quieter or safer road.

• Outcast, epoxi and AAR like this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:09 AM Edited by Svip, 15 September 2014 - 11:11 AM.

I remember driving from France to Spain, and my first impression was that the signs were better and directions were clearer than in France (also the roads were even nicer!), so my first impression of Spanish roads was good.  Until I began to meet over drivers.  I was far more scared than I was in France or Italy, or anywhere else for that matter.  At least in France, they tend to be very nice to get out of your way, if you've made a mistake.  And the people doing the middle lane business are often on Dutch number plates.  Particularly in Germany.  At least Germans respect getting out of the way for the 200km/h+ cars, but sure enough, there will always be a Danish or Dutch number plate in the fast lane all of the sudden.

In Italy, I noticed that on motorways, even though the speed limit was 130 km/h, everyone was doing 110 km/h.  This confused me, until we came to road works, where the speed limit would be lowered to 60, and people were still doing 110.  I was doing 130 where I could, and about 75 where it said 60, because I imagined the 60 speed limit was to sort of implore to the Italian drivers to slow down rather than actual limit.

Still, signs and directions were the worst in Italy, and if you drive on non-toll roads, the roads are terrible.  Worse than German motorways even, which can be quite bad at times.  But I must admit I am disappointed in German road signs, because they can be quite confusing at times.  I would imagine Germans to be better at this.

At least when I am used to Danish road signs, which are just excellent when it comes to directions.

Driving in all these countries gives sense to the expression, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.
  • epoxi likes this

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

Try driving in New Zealand. We don't have intercity motorways and we have people overtake when there is oncoming traffic and 100 km/h. 

Dottie
  • Dottie

Impossible relimitation on the main part

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

How it looks in the US too. Everyone's slow ass hogging the passing lane. The out of state people going so damn slow, large trucks pass them. And people passing in the far right lanes.

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

In France it's ok to go through a red light as long as the driver swears as (s)he drives through it.

At least, that's how every taxi I've been in in France  does it.

• Zyo likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

i've been on the run but i've done my time

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

The worst driving I've ever seen was in Poland or Greece. 

This, I'm surprised that I'm even alive after visiting Poland.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

I'll admit that I don't stay in the right lane. But most of the freeways near me have 4-5 lanes each way. I just don't like having to deal with cars merging onto the freeway. But I also don't stay in the fast lane.

Formula_puck
  • Formula_puck

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Highways here generally aren't bad. Few assholes here and there but people are aware of what's around them and will let you overtake or merge if they know you have to. 

LightningLord
  • LightningLord

🧀

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:36 PM Edited by LightningLord411, 15 September 2014 - 09:36 PM.

My country has assholes in minivans and SUV going over 80 MPH/129 KM/H when the speed limit is 65 MPH/105 KM/H. Traffic that half the time manages to build up so bad that it can delay a trip by either several minutes or an hour or two. People crashing. People on phones while speeding. Construction. Construction. CONSTRUCTION. MOTHER F**KING CONSTRUCTION.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:54 PM Edited by epoxi, 15 September 2014 - 10:31 PM.

In the US people have a terrible habit of constantly speeding up aggressively and braking in stop-start traffic, most countries I have seen people try to 'soften' the impact by rolling slowly. I don't know why Americans do this, because very few people seem to jump the lanes. Americans tend to be quite obedient about speed limits and road rules, I find it remarkable how people actually stop at STOP signs: I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the UK actually stop at a STOP sign unless it was to give way.

In Italy, all the motorways are dual carriageways where the right lane does 60km/h and traffic in the left (overtaking) lane constantly does 200km/h+, off-ramps are often almost 90-degree turns like you would see on a regular single-carriageway. I also love Italian road signs:

gtS1VJv.jpgdJ38pug.jpg

France has very nice motorways: smooth and fast, but I haven't been for 15 years so I couldn't comment on what they are like now.

India is pretty much do whatever you like, there are no road rules: expect everything bad that can happen to happen. It's much like Outcast was saying about China, everyone is a first-time driver because of the sudden economic growth and the roads are extremely busy (especially in Delhi), though I am sure the quality of roads and signs are much better in China (in India consider yourself lucky if you get to drive on a piece of asphalt without 40" potholes in). Even on the interstate highways expect cows, children playing and tractors driving in the opposite direction.

As much as I like to complain about the UK, the drivers here are of a very high standard (almost robotic), as are the roads. Even if the motorways aren't as smooth as French ones they are well-designed and easy to navigate, citizens also do a good job of policing the middle-lane huggers SouthLand and sivis talk about: everyone will sit on them until they get out of the way, police have also been given stronger powers to deal with them.

The worst thing about British roads has to be speed cameras: there are way too many of them, I always feel agitated by their potential presence as many other drivers try to push me to go over the limit but I really don't want to get a ticket. The cameras are strategically placed purely to make money, in between zones where speed limits fluctuate between 30/40/50/60mph despite no obvious reason for the limit to change. This wouldn't be so bad if the money was the only price you paid, but you get points which jack up your insurance and put you closer to disqualification (some counties offer you to do a safety course as a substitute but I think they are pointless as 99% of the drivers attending them are perfectly good drivers who made a simple mistake). The kind of drivers I have seen receiving tickets (and those not receiving tickets) only reinforces my impression the system is not there for our safety at all.

• Outcast and LightningLord like this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:06 AM Edited by Svip, 16 September 2014 - 08:07 AM.

France has very nice motorways: smooth and fast, but I haven't been for 15 years so I couldn't comment on what they are like now.

They are still like that. For example, on a road I do a lot in France (between Toulon and Nice), during the day there was no road works. When we returned late at night through counter-flow where they were laying new asphalt on a motorway. The next day, the road works were gone, and the new asphalt was ready. Indeed, when I saw the operation during the night, it appeared massive. I was sort of amused that French road workers are so much more efficient than German road workers.

(I should stress, that motorways in France are owned by private companies, which also operate the road works. So your 'milage' may vary depending on where you are in France.)
  • epoxi, mr quick and AAR like this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I have to admit that i am a fast driver and i don't respect speed signs on highways or curvy roads. In highways the speed limit is 120km/h and i usually go up to 140/h. Basically because roads are NOT that bad and i personally think that 140km/h is a 21st Century speed. The government puts more effort on saying speed is a crime that it looks like, the rest of bad things a driver can do while driving are less harmful when it's not the case. 

In Spain a lot of drivers in car forum say the following: "Si vas a 120 estas exento " Which can translate to: If you drive at 120km/h you are free to do what you want.

Our government has high tech speed cameras en Helicopters but they only catch people speeding. They don't bother catching people with cars not in good conditions for driving, people who drive on the left lane for many many km... 

Many police forces do Alcohol tests like this:

Nidenochenienfestivo_2367_2708.jpg

Which i do support 100%... However, a lot of police officers treat drivers differently. In other words, if you drive a sh*t minivan with barely fulfills the safety rules by the government, you are not going to get stopped. However, if you drive a Hot Hatchback, you are going to get stopped and have your car checked and they are going to give a ticket to you. Even if everything is legal, they give you a ticket and then you have to go to Traffic and claim that the fine is wrong... paperwork...time...

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

I've noticed that lately my dad has been tailgating in various occasions slow cars that didn't move aside from the left lane in the highway. He gets me on my nerves when doing that.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

I've noticed that lately my dad has been tailgating in various occasions slow cars that didn't move aside from the left lane in the highway. He gets me on my nerves when doing that.

If am driving in the left lane and there is a slow driver in front of who dosen't move over, i usually flash my high beams but i NEVER tailgate.

• epoxi likes this

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

They are still like that. For example, on a road I do a lot in France (between Toulon and Nice), during the day there was no road works. When we returned late at night through counter-flow where they were laying new asphalt on a motorway. The next day, the road works were gone, and the new asphalt was ready. Indeed, when I saw the operation during the night, it appeared massive. I was sort of amused that French road workers are so much more efficient than German road workers.

(I should stress, that motorways in France are owned by private companies, which also operate the road works. So your 'milage' may vary depending on where you are in France.)

I read somewhere that certain high-traffic motorways in France are owned by the state or local councils and that French companies have a policy of not tolling high-traffic roads. 

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

I read somewhere that certain high-traffic motorways in France are owned by the state or local councils and that French companies have a policy of not tolling high-traffic roads. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of France's motorways are owned by the département, but I don't actually know.  However, I do know that around cities, motorways are usually non-toll, even if operated by a motorway company.  This is partly to allow for the many entrances and exits around city, which would require a ridiculous amount of toll booths, as well as relieving the cities of some internal traffic with ring roads.

Perhaps they are owned by the département, but operated by the motorway company, so they pay the company to keep the roads toll free.  Or something, I haven't actually looked this up.

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

I think it's a general rule of thumb simply to ease traffic. 

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

First of all, I appologize if there's another topic like this, I did a search and couldn't find anything but you never know, It could've been buried deeper. Second, I figured this was better suited for the vehicles section than general chat since you can't really drive without vehicles.

Anyway, to the point, tell your stories of dumb, bad, oblivious, etc. drivers you've encountered.

Worst one I've seen: Keep in mind that I have no idea what provoked this, my only guess is the person thought I was following too close or something(I was at least 5 car lengths behind him though so I really wasn't that close and had done absolutely nothing else to him). Anyway, I was following this guy in a Jeep and my friend was in his little Cavalier following me. We had all just turned left off of a 100kmh(roughly 60mph) 2 lane highway onto another 100kmh and had both just gotten up to the speed limit(also keep in mind that he was hugging the center line pretty close) when all of a sudden Mr. Jeep slams on his brakes out of nowhere and comes to a dead stop right in front of me. Of course I slam on mine too and come too a stop about half a car length behind him, while my friend(who WAS following me a bit too close) managed to stop just a couple inches before rear ending my truck(my bad brakes were kind of a saving grace there, if they had been new I would've come to a stop sooner and he would have hit me). Then Mr. Jeep, still hugging the center line, proceeds to get out of his vehicle(with his open door blocking about a third of the oncoming lane) to flip me the bird and yell "Learn to drive, asshole!" at me. 

TL:DR: Guy stops on a 2 lane 100kmh(60mph) highway to get out, tell me that I need to "Learn to drive" and cuss me out for unknown reasons while himself blocking most of the road, nearly getting me rear ended and being a general hazzard and obstacle to everyone on said road. Oh the hypocrisy!

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:07 AM

Saw a small truck nearly T-bone someone entering a roundabout and then seconds later we nearly T-bone some dumb bitch in an ancient Mitsubishi Lancer who failed to give way. 

Needless to say many choice words were said. 

79'Blazer4x4
  • 79'Blazer4x4

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:12 AM Edited by 79'Blazer4x4, 14 October 2014 - 01:12 AM.

Saw a small truck nearly T-bone someone entering a roundabout and then seconds later we nearly T-bone some dumb bitch in an ancient Mitsubishi Lancer who failed to give way. 

I hate roundabouts. Seems even the decent drivers have no idea how to use those. Either that or idiots are attracted to roundabouts like moths to a flame. I had some idiot on the far inside lane of a 3 lane roundabout(whoever decided a 3 lane roundabout was a good idea in the first place is either an idiot or a sadistic asshole) cut me off(I was in the middle lane) while cutting straight across all 3 lanes to get to their exit.

• Killerdude likes this

Dottie
  • Dottie

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

100kmh speed limit highway....I bet those cops get boat loads of cash from tickets

Once, Mr "I wanna go 70 in the passing lane" decided to be an asshat and literally cause 20 cars behind them to tailgate the  crap out of each other waiting for the one slow person in front to move over. (note that the flow of traffic was also 70)

Formula_puck
  • Formula_puck

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

I hate roundabouts. Seems even the decent drivers have no idea how to use those. Either that or idiots are attracted to roundabouts like moths to a flame. I had some idiot on the far inside lane of a 3 lane roundabout(whoever decided a 3 lane roundabout was a good idea in the first place is either an idiot or a sadistic asshole) cut me off(I was in the middle lane) while cutting straight across all 3 lanes to get to their exit.

I think roundabouts are just there to put a stupid memorial at an intersection. It's not hard to navigate through, here. My dad almost T-boned a Range Rover once cause the idiot lady was pulling out of a gas station and didn't look out direction. We had to swerve and almost went off the road.

mr quick
  • mr quick

i've been on the run but i've done my time

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Literally everyone on the road. It seems indicators are decorative rather than functional, brakes are only to be used in emergency situations, speed limits are just suggestions, and giving way is for the weak. 

• Danikov, AAR and Dottie like this

Dottie
  • Dottie

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

It seems indicators are decorative rather than functional

You are telling the truth

Even if they use the signal, they dont look to see if its clear to change lanes. They just signal n go

• mr quick and AAR like this

Danikov
  • Danikov

The Fake Russian

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:06 PM

Some bitch ass woman driving a Mazda 6 was talking on the phone,we both stopped in an intersection for a left turn to a highway. There are two lanes intended for the 'left turners',I was in the leftmost lane,she was to my right and we were the first in line...when the stoplight had told us its good to go,we started moving and all of a sudden the stupid cow cuts me off with such a sharp turn into my lane which almost,but almost got us into a goddamned collision,luckily I had responded very quickly so it didn't happen. Afterwards,once I got to drive beside her,I honked so many times,waiting for her to look and flip my finger at her once she does,but she didn't even pay any attention,she was still "busy" talking on that f*cking phone,bringing this up made me a little angry..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users