sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

Turkey and IS have never been on good terms. That is only what the West is trying to make it seem like, because they don't like Erdogan anymore. 

Whether intentionally or not, Turkey has directly contributed to the growth of IS with their attacks on Kurdish fighting forces in Syria, who have been the only fighting force successful at restraining order reversing IS territory growth.
  • Tchuck, Eutyphro, Tyler and 2 others like this

krypt0s
  • krypt0s

Ice-Nine

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

..and that is probably the reason why the west is not supporting Turkey in operation Euphrates Shield at al-bab which has resulted in 14 dead and 33 wounded soldiers.

The U.S. has no excuse to support the PYD and YPG if Daesh is defeated. They don't want to lose this excuse, which allows them to intervene in the Middle East

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:20 PM Edited by Turan, 30 December 2016 - 06:23 PM.

Turkey and IS have never been on good terms. That is only what the West is trying to make it seem like, because they don't like Erdogan anymore. 

Whether intentionally or not, Turkey has directly contributed to the growth of IS with their attacks on Kurdish fighting forces in Syria, who have been the only fighting force successful at restraining order reversing IS territory growth.

Maybe it would have been wise of them not to mess with Turkey while fighting IS then. By killing the Turkish officers after the Suruc bombing they practically asked to get bombed alongside IS. 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:32 PM

To be honest Turkey deserves to have it's chickens come home to roost WRT the Kurds. After decades of conflict largely instigated by the Turkish state, I can't wait to have a fully functioning Kurdish state spanning most of the country's southern border. They're doing a far better job of running a fair, free, democratic society than Erdogan is.
  • Tchuck, ClaudeSpeed1911 and Thesmophoriazusae like this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Kurds have been treated very wrongly ever since the foundation of the Republic. Forcing them to assimilate was (and is) reprehensible. Because of this I was really happy when Erdogan of all people was the first Turkish leader to actually acknowledge the Kurds and their culture by giving them more rights. Admittedly it is still not at the desired level, so I really want the Turkish state to continue with the expansion of their rights. Whether Erdogan's (or any other Turkish leader's) government will do this, though, is doubtful. Especially with IS in the picture, which is the whole reason the PKK and Turkey started fighting again. At the very least a peaceful Syria is going to be necessary to improve Turkish-Kurdish relations again. Another thing to note is the relationship between the Kurdish party HDP and PKK. The latter needs to stop sabotaging HDP's chances in the Turkish parliament over Kurdish leadership disputes. Otherwise this sh*t will never end. 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

Not sure I agree with your assessment there. Small scale attacks between Kurdish groups and Turkish nationalists, occasionally involving the police and military, have gone on even during the ceasefire periods. I see the resuming of hostilities as having been instigated primarily by the Turkish state with the cross-border military incursions into Iraqi Kurdistan. If nothing else, the failure of the Turkish state to intervene against IS until the aftermath of Kobane shows that Turkey feared a stronger Kurdish quasi-state more than it did Islamic State, even when in the middle of a peace process with the former.
  • Tyler, Fonz and Thesmophoriazusae like this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:03 PM Edited by Turan, 31 December 2016 - 06:05 PM.

Not sure I agree with your assessment there. Small scale attacks between Kurdish groups and Turkish nationalists, occasionally involving the police and military, have gone on even during the ceasefire periods. I see the resuming of hostilities as having been instigated primarily by the Turkish state with the cross-border military incursions into Iraqi Kurdistan. If nothing else, the failure of the Turkish state to intervene against IS until the aftermath of Kobane shows that Turkey feared a stronger Kurdish quasi-state more than it did Islamic State, even when in the middle of a peace process with the former.

The small scale attacks during the ceasefire never lead to deaths on either side as far as I know. So there was never a legitimate reason to break the ceasefire for either party. In 2015 Turkey took action in Iraq AFTER they killed the Turkish officers. So it is pretty obvious to me the PKK instigated the conflict in 2015. 

It is true that Turkey preferred watching PKK and IS fight each other in Kobane in 2014 rather than support the PKK. And honestly I don't see anything wrong with that. The PKK was a far bigger threat for Turkey at that point. Just because they were in the process of peacemaking doesn't mean Turkey is obliged to help them. Especially not when it is easy to tell that Kobane is of strategic importance for the PKK. Why else would the Kurds make so much noise about saving Kobane while being silent about other similar Kurdish towns falling in the hands of IS? The PKK wants to use Kobane to smuggle their fighters and weapons into Turkey. Makes perfect sense why Turkey feared the PKK more than IS at that time. Even more so when you take history into account.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter who started what and why. A solution is what matters. I support the idea of an autonomous Kurdish state. At the same time Turkey needs to expand the rights of its Kurdish citizens. The only real thing preventing this from happening seems to be Turkey's fear of the PKK wanting more than that: Turkish soil. That's where things get complicated...

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

Well, it appears Turkey is hoping to get some change in US policy on the Kurds with Trump as President. PM Yildirim is asking President-elect Trump to sever US ties with the Kurds once he becomes President. I wouldn't be surprised if President Trump complies.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

pretty sure that before this month, President Trump thought that Kurds were a kind of exotic cheese...

• Tchuck, Triple Vacuum Seal, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and 2 others like this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Well, it appears Turkey is hoping to get some change in US policy on the Kurds with Trump as President. PM Yildirim is asking President-elect Trump to sever US ties with the Kurds once he becomes President. I wouldn't be surprised if President Trump complies.

I don't know about that. I'm seriously confused by what Trump's view on foreign policy even is at this point. What he twits/says in public and people he is appointing tell completely different stories. Yeah, he's being best buds with Putin and keeps talking about US having no business in that part of the world. But some of the people he's putting in charge of foreign policy and military have been on the record saying the exact opposite. I'm not saying anything good will come out of it either way, but right now I'd call it even odds on US withdrawing support from Kurds or providing them with more arms and air support.

Mattis appointment alone, if that goes through, could lead to some very interesting changes in how US is involved in Syria.

🇯🇲🇯🇲🇯🇲

• BUSTED!
  • Jamaica
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

Lots of action in Syria. Mattis oversees 31 bombings on his first day and now this:

Russian Defense Ministry says its warplanes have flown first combat mission in Syria with U.S.-led coalition aircraft.

Associated Press:
https://twitter.com/...580731322540038

Spoiler
  • Skeever and krypt0s like this

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:22 PM Edited by acmilano, 24 February 2017 - 05:45 PM.

https://www.theguard...port-seize-isis

ISIS lost Mosul airport to Iraqi army,and city of Al-Bab to Turkish army and rebels. In same time,SAA attacks on Palmyra and YPG on Raqqa. If ISIS lose all this population centers then their defeat is only matter of time. By this summer or maybe end of this year their forces in Iraq and Syria will be destroyed. They will probably continue with terrorist attacks around the ME and the world,but ending their current 'state' will be important step to finally get some peace to that devastated region.

krypt0s
  • krypt0s

Ice-Nine

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

An Assad interview that I think stands out for some reason

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:43 PM Edited by Switch, 27 March 2017 - 11:52 PM.

112 civilians killed by coalition airstrike in Mosul.

http://edition.cnn.c...aths/index.html

This number is not confirmed by the US yet, and they apparently hit an ISIS truck bomb which probably added on the amount of casualties.

Sad really. It's not like they go out of their way to kill civilians, but you can't help but think about if these civilians deaths could be much lower (not saying they aren't trying). I don't know enough about airstrikes, to know if this is true, but isn't bombing ISIS in Mosul just asking for many civilian deaths considering they are living among ISIS.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

Well see, if it happens on western soil, it is a terror attack. If it happens on brown soil and/or during a war, they are simply collateral damage. I mean, if they were good law-abiding Muslims, they would have ratted out ISIS and moved as far away as possible before the airstrike...

Is what some people actually think when they hear about something like that.

ISIS does this on purpose, mixing with civilians, to make attacks on them more cruel, more destructive, and completely useful in creating propaganda to further the hatred of America/The West. The guys who are coming here to save you are bombing you to sh*t. The guys who are the bad guys are dying by your side.

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:22 PM Edited by DIze, 31 March 2017 - 04:23 PM.

The things you guys are talking aint even near to the target.
The American Agencies are currently engaged to have good relationships with India & Israel in order to defeat ISIS. We all know thay Ind & Isr are peace loving countries.
Israel is FULLY PROTECTED under Anti Ballastic Missiles & radar systems. The enemy bomb or missiles can't even fall on the Israeli Land. They are capable enough to hold surgical strikes & defeat the entire ISIS alone. They are not doing this to avoid attention from wars & conflicts. Israel is a small country, but almost as equal as Russia or US.
I dont know much about India but I'll try to gather more information abot it, for sure :).

krypt0s
  • krypt0s

Ice-Nine

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:28 AM Edited by krypt0s, 04 April 2017 - 08:30 AM.

At least 18 people killed in suspected chemical attack on rebel-held Syrian town.

http://www.bbc.com/n...me=news_central

Spoiler

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

"Assad is better for Syria". What a pathetic joke this is.

• ten-a-penny likes this

krypt0s
  • krypt0s

Ice-Nine

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

The UNSC meeting today/yesterday probably had the most heated moments in recent times, especially towards the end.

Also,
Screenshot_12.jpg
  • Switch likes this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

https://twitter.com/...613449165598722

So these are the guy who are "fixing" Iraq? Mkes my blood boil.

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

http://www.nbcnews.c...sm_npd_nn_fb_nw

Maybe we need a thread for ISIS / terrorists? Since it's not Western Asia.

I fully support President Duterte in his fights. I hope that his experience with drug crtels will help eradicate ISIS from Philippines much quicker than it takes in Syria and Iraq.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

You approve of extrajudicial killings? As much as I realise there is a significant problem with drug cartels in the Philippines, the free for all of killing suspected drug dealers is costing a lot of innocent people their lives. Because you can just kill someone and tell the police you suspected they were a drug dealer and then go on your merry way.
  • Tchuck, ClaudeSpeed1911, ten-a-penny and 1 other like this

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:22 AM Edited by Street Mix, 25 May 2017 - 09:23 AM.

Yeah I do. Just like people supported Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing because of "less victims this way".

Much less victims this way indeed, comparably quick solution of the problem and Philippines won't be stuck with drug cartel enclaves for decades like Mexico or Colombia.

• Eris likes this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

There still is a significant difference. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were done by the US military and with President Truman's orders. While each bombing killed many people, a government (in this case, the US government) had completely control over A) when those killings were to occur and B) why they were to occur.

In the Philippines, it is very likely that someone intends to exploit these relaxed laws. This does not bring comfort, when at any point, someone who may not particularly like you decides to kill you.

I am actually impressed that "only" 3500 have been killed so far. The police say they are investigating 2233 people killed by vigilantes whether they were actually drug related, but I doubt they'll be able to fully investigate all of them.

The time is perfect in the Philippines right now, if you have someone you need to dispose of, without raising suspicion.

But maybe both of us should be glad we don't live in the Philippines, because I certainly would not want to be there right now.
  • El Diablo, ClaudeSpeed1911, ten-a-penny and 1 other like this

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:21 PM Edited by Switch, 25 May 2017 - 08:24 PM.

Yeah I do. Just like people supported Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing because of "less victims this way".

Much less victims this way indeed, comparably quick solution of the problem and Philippines won't be stuck with drug cartel enclaves for decades like Mexico or Colombia.

This is wrong on so many levels.. You do realize they have mostly been killing drug users and not drug dealers. They also kill people and frame them as drug user/dealers, it's an absolute disgrace to any kind of justice. Don't you think Mexico have been trying to kill them off for ages, nothing came from it besides more blodshed. You cannot compare world war 2 and the killing of drug users/dealers, different on so many levels.

Sorry for going off topic, back to it.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 1 other like this

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

http://www.nbcnews.c...sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Outrageous and wrong. Why is this Islamic Republic (aka Islamic State) is an USA ally? They should've been sanctioned long ago.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

Not sure why this is at all relevant given that Pakistan isn't in, or even really near, the Middle East. Notwithstanding the poorly construed analogy.
  • Tchuck likes this

Ai®a©ob®a
  • Ai®a©ob®a

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

A US F/A-18E Super Hornet fighter jet has shot down a Syrian Fighter Jet and then two hours later an SU-22 fighter-bomber jet that dropped bombs near US-backed Syrian rebels near Tabqah, the US asserts. This is the first known time that a US fighter jet has shot down a Syrian gov't plane during the war.

I'm curious to see how Donald Trump is going to handle this with Russian seeing as Russian is an ally to Syria and those were Russian made planes

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:39 AM Edited by Street Mix, 19 June 2017 - 06:40 AM.

He shouldn't. USA should shoot down ALL russian/syrian planes in Syria instead.

Not sure why this is at all relevant given that Pakistan isn't in, or even really near, the Middle East. Notwithstanding the poorly construed analogy.

Pakistan and Afghanistan are broadly considered to be Middle East.

• ten-a-penny likes this

krypt0s
  • krypt0s

Ice-Nine

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

So now, Iran launched mid-range ballistic missiles targeting ISIS in Deir ez-Zour in retaliation for last week’s terrorist attacks.

Iran’s ambassador to the UK, Hamid Baeidinejad, praised the missile strikes: “Missile attacks against Isis military base in Syria manifested the will and capacity of Iran to fight against terrorism and security threats.”

http://edition.cnn.c...yria/index.html

Iran using missiles now. Great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users