What are your phobias & fears?

192 replies to this topic
Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:58 AM

Is there a scientific term for being afraid of big open spaces?
Seriously whenever I stand in an open field or something (especially at night) I feel weak at the knees. I think that maybe it's just an overwhelming sort of feeling, but I don't know.

Other than that I have a chronic fear or heights, spiders and confined spaces.

Fear of open spaces- Agoraphobia.

As for me, I've got Arachnophobia(fear of spiders) and fear of cockroaches and other creepy insects.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

krashr
  • krashr

soul glo

• The Precinct
  • Mars
  • Best Dreads 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Dishonorable Mention 2016

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:04 AM Edited by krashr, 18 September 2014 - 05:12 AM.

Is there a scientific term for being afraid of big open spaces? Seriously whenever I stand in an open field or something (especially at night) I feel weak at the knees. I think that maybe it's just an overwhelming sort of feeling, but I don't know.

fear of confined spaces AND open spaces?! how do you function :panic:..i think it's cenophobia, but have also seen that defined as something else

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 and The Harwood Bitcher like this

The Harwood Bitcher
  • The Harwood Bitcher

f*ck YOU

• BUSTED!
  • Argentina

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

Is there a scientific term for being afraid of big open spaces? Seriously whenever I stand in an open field or something (especially at night) I feel weak at the knees. I think that maybe it's just an overwhelming sort of feeling, but I don't know.

fear of confined spaces AND open spaces?! how do you function :panic:..i think it's cenophobia, but have also seen that defined as something else
Maybe he needs a middle ground between booth, not too big , not too small

krashr
  • krashr

soul glo

• The Precinct
  • Mars
  • Best Dreads 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Dishonorable Mention 2016

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:05 AM Edited by krashr, 18 September 2014 - 06:09 AM.

..a padded cell comes to mind  :lol:

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GFX]
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:08 AM Edited by Slave Boy, 18 September 2014 - 08:47 AM.

Having my thoughts read. Since like fifth grade I've had it in my head that others could, and no matter how much I know they can't, it's stuck in my head every time we think naughty thoughts, or are in a room full of people.

The voice in your head, that tries to defend and control, is called critical inner voice. You might want to learn more about it. If You let it control yourself, it can turn into psychic problems like panic disorder in the worst case. Mostly it is just annoyance.
Hearing voices without being mentally ill is much more common than You would think. Random illogical thoughts can be caused by your brain itself, when it's orginizing information. Some people hear voices just now and then, some hear them through their whole life. It can be a taboo because you get easily a schitzophrenia label. Which is also completely misunderstood illness in general public.

I have phobia of big crowds.
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

Craigsters
  • Craigsters

no, I haven't been up all night on my PC

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Anthropophobia and some what misanthropic but still sociable.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:50 AM Edited by Joe Chip, 18 September 2014 - 06:06 PM.

I've also heard it called kenophobia, used to watch a youtube personality who said he had it. I think kenophobia's more related to the emptiness of the place though, 'cause it's also described as fear of voids on some websites' definitions. Agoraphobia is more like if you were afraid of being in places that seem unsafe for whatever reason, as I understand it. (e: Whoops, kenophobia is the same thing as cenophobia. Didn't recognize the alternative spelling.)

The voice in your head, that tries to defend and control, is called critical inner voice. You might want to learn more about it. If You let it control yourself, it can turn into psychic problems like panic disorder in the worst case. Mostly it is just annoyance.
Hearing voices without being mentally ill is much more common than You would think. Random illogical thoughts can be caused by your brain itself, when it's orginizing information. Some people hear voices just now and then, some hear them through their whole life. It can be a taboo because you get easily a schitzophrenia label. Which is also completely misunderstood illness in general public.

I'll look into it. Sounds like something that would relate to a lot of my anxieties. Being able to picture it as something that actually exists, and not just thoughts in my head might help to shut it up. Thanks! :)

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

I don't have any. REAL MAN OVER HERE. 

My girlfriend has a crippling phobia of moths, not sure what that's called, and trypophobia, which is a fear of clusters of small holes. WHICH IS TOTALLY FREAKING WEIRD. 

I find it hard to sympathise, seeing as moths can't do her any damage, and little holes aren't going to swallow her up in the night. Arachnophobia cracks me up - spiders are one of the best creepies you could ever wish to have in your house. They just want to eat your flies and, in turn, make your house more hygienic. What could be better than a maid you don't have to pay for?

mr quick
  • mr quick

Vr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

"omg i have trypophobia"

-everyone

• Tikhung likes this

dognuts
  • dognuts

wheres the f*ckin weaponized mr. tasty

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

Tumaniaphobia - fear of having too many phobias. I kid, i kid...

In all seriousness, i skeeve out bugs, especially beetles. And the obvious one, spiders. Mainly big ones, though. If they're small or if they're just a Daddy Longleg, i have no problem with 'em.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

I used to have Cynophobia. I'm over it now.

Cheers.

Undyne
  • Undyne

Incidentally Electronically Erased

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:11 PM Edited by Cornerstone, 18 September 2014 - 02:12 PM.

COCKROACHES. 

I loath them, I can handle spiders but these ugly little sh*ts are terrible. If I saw one while I'm alone at home I'll stay outside until someone comes back and kills it. I was cringing while writing this, this is how bad it is.

And I'm a little bit scared of heights.

• Tikhung and Zapp like this

AceThaCreator
  • AceThaCreator

All Things DOPE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Any type of wasp as them little motherf*ckers are vicious and make me cringe on sight.

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

Furry and Proud. Maybe

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

I'm scared of heights.

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:48 PM Edited by Tikhung, 18 September 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Cockroaches. God I hate them so much. I cringe like a fa**ot everytime I see them.

I also have "Megalophobia".

aMAYzing
  • aMAYzing

aMAYzing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Bugs and heights (fear of falling, too) ...

Mr.SoapyLegs
  • Mr.SoapyLegs

Light em if you got it

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

Speaking of roaches...

• Graven likes this

Undyne
  • Undyne

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:13 PM Edited by Cornerstone, 18 September 2014 - 04:15 PM.

Speaking of roaches...

I HATE YOU FOR POSTING THIS.

• Peregrin Brandytook, aMAYzing and Zapp like this

A Northern German
  • A Northern German

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

Horses. They are the most evil, scariest creatures on Earth. Whenever I see one I just get overcome by fear.

Is it their weird longish head? The creepiest thing about them is their skull IMO. The thing that scares me the most about horses is the fact that they are big and heavy and can cause severe injuries or death by biting, kicking and trampling on you.

PS:

2hpnoep.jpg

Mr.SoapyLegs
  • Mr.SoapyLegs

Light em if you got it

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

Speaking of roaches...

I HATE YOU FOR POSTING THIS.

:lol:

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

fear of falling

Onett
  • Onett

People for Airports.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

I used to hate going on lifts. Convinced myself the cables were gonna snap and I'd fall straight to the bottom, got over it though.
Now I can't go on a plane.

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

A Ninja

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:42 AM Edited by BlackScout, 19 September 2014 - 03:43 AM.

Insects, those who fly I hate even more *IE: dragonfly, flying cockroaches*, and also big spiders...
If you post a macro picture of a cockroach or a spider I'll feel weird as f*ck, can't even look =X...

It's not a big fear, but just some really great disgusting feeling.

f*ck THAT VIDEO UP HERE OH sh*t... 

• Undyne likes this

Nivasaurus
  • Nivasaurus

No thanks

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

I have weird fears. I fear strange men I don't know (they just make me really nervous and uncomfortable), dolls, death, and not waking up when I go to sleep. Some nights I'll lay in bed trying to stay up because I'm scared xD it doesn't make sense

SarahPilko
  • SarahPilko

Designer

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:29 PM Edited by SarahPilko, 19 September 2014 - 01:31 PM.

I have a very weird phobia and I have not met anyone else who has the same as me. It is often confused that people think I dislike big or small things but it is not like that.

I get scared if something unusual changes its "normal" size.

For example,there are two lamps that are exactly the same but one is big and one is smaller. On my computer desk, I had the smaller one and one day it died and I had no more bulbs so my father brought the bigger one and I literally could not move and my mind kept tricking me that it grew. It took me a while to get used to these big bottles you see in some shops, I first refused to be near them. I even get scared by such things on games. Around five years ago, I was playing on a MTA roleplay/DM server and on the mini map there are radar blips and I was doing a job/mini mission and the radar blip was half the size of the mini map and I had to hide it in the end and continue the mission with guessing the route.

It isn't so bad now and I haven't experienced anything like that for a long while now.

I wouldn't say I have a phobia of spiders, I just dislike them but I have a phobia of bees and wasps. I run at least 20m from stopping if I see one of them. I remember when I was in Turkey last year on vacation, I saw a "dunglebee" I don't know how you spell it, it is like a bumblebee but like four of them in size and pure black, I never saw anything so frightening in my life.

When my grandma died when I was nine years old, I had a phobia of death/dying for a while, I refused to sleep and used to sit on end of bed looking/stare out of window hoping not to die, I only slept if my body was too tired to stay awake. Boy, they were hard times. I guess as a kid, you don't really know what is happening around you.

Undyne
  • Undyne

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

I never understood why some Cockroaches could fly. Like WHY? JUST WHY? WHY DO THEY HAVE SO MANY FORMS AND SIZES? WHY CAN'T THEY JUST STAY IN THEIR HOLES AND DIE?
  • AceThaCreator likes this

• Ronin

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:22 PM Edited by markwey, 19 September 2014 - 06:29 PM.

I'm scared of swimming in murky waters where I can't see a thing. I then tend to think there are eerie underwater creatures near my feet on the ground or something creepy is approaching.

Yeah...not something you really wanna think about when swimming in a lake. :)

A Northern German
  • A Northern German

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:49 PM Edited by Nordniedersachse, 19 September 2014 - 06:50 PM.

I'm scared of swimming in murky waters where I can't see a thing. I then tend to think there are eerie underwater creatures near my feet on the ground or something creepy is approaching.

Yeah...not something you really wanna think about when swimming in a lake. :)
Or in the North Sea. Huge ass crabs and squids and god knows what lurking in the murky water. At least it's murky where I live.

Sayy Whaattt
  • Sayy Whaattt

bruh

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

I dont really have that many fears, well ones that I can think of, but I loath insects. That video about cockroaches I didnt really mind, but it was the only thing on my mind when I was in bed so I was paranoid if one was on me. I have a fear of falling but I handle being on heights just fine. Just ones that are a decent distance im paranoid about. I strained my wrist and hurt my leg because I got my leg caught by a railing and landed on my wrist

Mr.SoapyLegs
  • Mr.SoapyLegs

Light em if you got it

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

The cockroach explained...

• BlackScout likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users