• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic
Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

E.T.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well. Have the mods abandoned the GTA Series section? I made a thread some time back(Favourite Side Characters?) and a few days back some wiseguy made a thread: Your Favourite Side Character? Was it locked? NO. More recent: A guy made a topic: 'Why do you hate Gta V so much?' and its going strong. While there is an EXACTLY SAME thread in the V section which is not old.

One day I made a thread about favourite book series in General Chat. It was promptly locked by Voodoo, who suggested bumping a similar topic which was almost an year old.

And Barefoot Tiger goes about chiding people for bumping old topics.

The latest: My thread: 'You know it's not your day when....' was made for fun. The next thing I knew, Mr. Raavi had locked it, saying: 'No forum games'.

What is this? High School? Learn, mods and improve.

Franceska
  • Franceska

You look up to me like I'm a pizza on the roof.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Did you report the thread with the link to the original thread?

Mods don't abandon sections, but they can't monitor the entire forum all on their own. And that's where you can help by reporting it.

They will decide whether it's padlock worthy or not.
  • *MURDOC* likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:37 AM Edited by Andreas, 03 September 2014 - 12:13 PM.

GTA Series Chat has no forum leaders, which explains why it isn't as actively moderated as, say, the GTA V and Online boards. And it doesn't need the same level of moderation, either.

The general rule of thumb is that bumping an older thread is fine if the said thread is only a few weeks or months old. Threads that were created at the beginning of this year, for instance, can be bumped if you have something substantial to add and if it hasn't been covered more recently. It might be better, though, to create a new thread.

Personally, I often let bumped topics slide, and sometimes I tell the user that they should've created a new topic instead, without locking them.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

The only rational explanation that I can give you is that highly active sections of the forum are moderated more strictly than the less active sections. The GTA Series Chat falls under the less active category, as you can see from the activity in there.

Also, instead of complaining that we're not moderating the forum, how about you report the duplicate topics and bring them to our attention so that we can decide what to do. We don't go around checking every single topic in every forum. We rely on members to help us out by reporting offending/duplicate and/or rule-breaking topics/posts.

• *MURDOC* and slohbur like this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

The way I approach these situations is I don't mind allowing duplicate threads as long as they haven't been made a few hours apart or if I'm aware of an active similar subject. Naturally people are going to make threads that have been covered before, but sometimes it's interesting for the subject to be brought up again.

As for bumping threads I'm tolerant to an extent. Someone bumped a 12 year old thread in the VC forum last week.

Most of the time bumped threads are only bumped for the hell of it with no real reason to be bumped.
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 7 likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:36 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 03 September 2014 - 02:10 PM.

And Barefoot Tiger goes about chiding people for bumping old topics.

I assume you refer to this topic, since you posted in it with this comment:

They should have added the f*cking lochness monster way out in the ocean. Remember the rumours that spread when Sa came out that it had the monster? It was so cool!

As I very clearly explained to the New Member who bumped the topic, posting in very old topics re-publishes them at the top of the board and causes confusion amongst other members. Plus, in this case, the bumped topic created a duplicate (as is often the case) with a more recent, more relevant topic.

Sometimes a bumped topic is allowed because sometimes a bumped topic is as good as a new topic. The rule here though is that both the bumped topic and the bumping post should be of good quality. If in doubt, new topic is usually the better choice, unless that topic already exists. This was also clearly explained in my closing comment.

Finally, it has to be said that moderating staff here are volunteers maintaining a wonderful community of over six hundred thousand members, with an archive of nearly eleven and a half million posts. Our eyes cannot be everywhere. Every post has a report button. Please feel free to use it if you see a problem with a post or topic. Also, I am just a PM away if there is something you wish to discuss, please also feel free to use this PM system whenever you feel that something is not right, at best you may get a decision changed, at least you will receive a reply explaining actions taken.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

E.T.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Alright. I didn't know earlier that you could report duplicate threads. Thanks. Anyway, what about the 'Why do you hate Gta V?' thread in the Gta Series section? Many people have suggested that it should be locked in the replies. It's an exact copy of one in the V section. I know as iv posted on that one.

Franceska
  • Franceska

You look up to me like I'm a pizza on the roof.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Alright. I didn't know earlier that you could report duplicate threads. Thanks. Anyway, what about the 'Why do you hate Gta V?' thread in the Gta Series section? Many people have suggested that it should be locked in the replies. It's an exact copy of one in the V section. I know as iv posted on that one.

Report it. Mods will decide what happens with it.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

E.T.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Report it. Mods will decide what happens with it.

Ok. By the way, thanks Franceska. Or should I say Franda? :)

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Moderators are humans, don't treat them like robots.

• Spider-Vice, Matty, Toke and 5 others like this

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

Most of us moderators just spin the moderator wheel and where ever it lands is what we do with the topic or post. 

• *MURDOC*, Spider-Vice, PulpFiction and 9 others like this

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

I do agree with the bumping point you made. Some Moderators say DO NOT bump old topics, others get mad at you for making a topic that was already covered even if said topic is ancient.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

I do agree with the bumping point you made. Some Moderators say DO NOT bump old topics, others get mad at you for making a topic that was already covered even if said topic is ancient.

You're only damned if you're too stupid to know where to draw the line.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

E.T.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:39 AM

You're only damned if you're too stupid to know where to draw the line.

What are you, the Official Moderator Defender?

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:02 AM Edited by *MURDOC*, 04 September 2014 - 05:04 AM.

What are you, the official whiney c*nt?

Generally, the people that bitch about stupid sh*t like this do so because they are incompetent at following simple rules and usually post stuff like this after they get reprimanded.

• Ciaran and Jolly Swagman like this

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

E.T.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

What are you, the official whiney c*nt?

Generally, the people that bitch about stupid sh*t like this do so because they are incompetent at following simple rules and usually post stuff like this after they get reprimanded.

Stupid sh*t? Those are VALID POINTS. I can't imagine what the state of education in your country is like. Seriously, I'm scared to even imagine.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Okaaaay, I think we're done here.

• Ezekiel likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users