Battle of the Subway Systems: GTA IV vs. V

49 replies to this topic
fap_fappington
  • fap_fappington

Monroe Militia crew now recruiting!!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

Both games included a subway system. But, which game did it better?

GTA IV

GTA_IV_Subway.jpg

or GTA V?

Lossantostransitajm.jpg

I've ridden both, and I would like to say that GTA IV is better. It's quicker, and I can skip to the station if desired. I like how I can enter the train in V, but I can't when the train starts moving. Also, I can't skip to the station, and the ride feels slower at times. But, I like how segments of the ride go on streets though.

What subway system do you think is better?

• Zello likes this

MrSemiFunny
  • MrSemiFunny

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

Grand Theft Auto V Subway is better because you can go inside without cut scene

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:45 AM

I never cared for either. Especially how it's a lot easier to steal a car and go specifically where you want to go rather than find a station, wait for a train, wait on the train, and walk to where you wanna to after you get off the train.

I know in real life when I used to live up in DC it was more convenient to take the metro rather than deal with the traffic, but in a game where you can steal without any (lasting) consequences, it's a shame not to take advantage of them.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

PatPattersonGrenade
  • PatPattersonGrenade

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

Grand Theft Auto V Subway is better because you can go inside without cut scene

while this may be true, why would you even want to?

OT: gta iv's was better by far. it had relevance to the story and is such a iconic part of new york.  the subway in LC felt like it was part of the city's life blood, unlike V, where it was just there

• Spaghetti Cat, GroundZero, thekillerdonuts and 5 others like this

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

IV definitely. It was really immersive. I actually used it sometimes, specially on TBOGT where Maisonette 9 was just down the street from Luis's safehouse, all near a subway station. I loved doing it.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

Neither of them as good as RDR's trains IMO. In that you can get up and move around.

• Tony., GroundZero, Cutter De Blanc and 12 others like this

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:59 AM Edited by killahmatic, 03 September 2014 - 04:06 AM.

In all honesty, until we can freely run around and do what we want on the subway while its travelling, they're useless. This is something that R* not only could've did, but actually seems that they put in extra work so that we couldn't do that. Very odd on their part. As far as travel, its the slowest type of transportation in the game.  

I think back to the train on RDR. They had it right. You could do what you want on the train. Walk around, kill people, jump off, climb onto the top of the cars, etc. It was even semi-useful as transportation (no, not faster than horseback, but a decent, scenic alternative). Unfortunately, you couldn't drive that one either, but it was still far ahead of GTA IV & Vs trains/subways

• Tony., Miamivicecity, GroundZero and 4 others like this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

V probably had better art and art design

IV probably better gameplay and use....

V's are pretty useless and the whole system is basically just used as a 'hole' to escape cops in

once in a while, I'll actually go in there on foot and every time I think to myself, wow, this is very well done... this place is so wasted

Pro tip: to escape cops, try running in there on foot. it works really good, and while its not intuitive to do it.... if you remember to do it, it's actually pretty fun

remember when you're on foot, cop cars don't usually spawn! so by escaping on foot into the subway, and even waiting for the cops to force a shootout, is actually super fun

and if you're Hanging Out with all 3 characters, it's even better!

you can even try find a Subway entrance near a gang area, and start a gang war near it and escape inside to have gang shootout inside the subyway

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

Neither of them as good as RDR's trains IMO. In that you can get up and move around.

Or rob passengers. I would love to steal some wallets on the subway as Niko. Even if the rewards were low, it would be a nice mini game.
  • Miamivicecity, Lelouch vi Britannia and Zello like this

Seenyour31
  • Seenyour31

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

I prefer GTA IV's subway, you could skip to your next destination if you chose, and it was more immersive with how they would tell you what stop was coming up next.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

Damn, I thought this was about the subway interiors.

In IV I liked how you could find that hobo camp down there. I'm not sure if there is anything in V's though. Just tunnels and tracks.

daltontigerboy
  • daltontigerboy

Cousin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:08 AM Edited by daltontigerboy, 03 September 2014 - 05:17 AM.

I haven't played V in awhile, but from what I remember, the subway tunnels were depressingly unpopulated and boring.

From what I remember of IV however, the subways were teeming with dozens of civilians walking around or waiting for trains. There would always be a couple of cops down there just to watch over everything. I also remember there would usually be an old man playing the saxophone close to the tracks.

Hell, I had countless hours of fun from just pushing people off the ledge into the oncoming trains.
  • Miamivicecity and Kampret like this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

IV's reminded me of the el train I used to ride from the Frankford terminal to 69th street every day to get to school a few years back. I loved that commute since it gave some nice views of my city's skyline before going underground.

Anyway rambling aside, I didn't feel a connection with V's subway like I did IV's.
  • Seenyour31 likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

One o' them Illuminati motherf*ckers

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Functionally, IV's were better. GTA V has much nicer subways though. Much better looking. All of GTAIV's subway stations look the same to me. 

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

Me being from New York City , I have to say IV . The trains felt so life like with the police in the station and sparks flew as the train left the station. R* really detailed the subway in IV because it's such a relevant piece of the city rather than in LA/LS where it's just there if you need it , and mostly everyone has cars over there anyways .

And missions in IV actually involved the subway system , but in V it's like its desolate lol the only train station I really know of in LS is the one with the tunnel that everyone hides from the cops at .

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Stupid question. Obviously IV's was better and if you used the camera on Niko's phone, you could see the interior of the subway whilst it moved.

• Miamivicecity, Kampret, GtaV Is Coming To Pc and 1 other like this

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

IV's subway system is way better, and more functional, since you can skip to your destination.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

I found IV's subway system gloomy and gritty but far more realistic (a bit like the game itself really). 

V's subway seems to me to be another of those white elephant features that doesn't really serve a purpose other than to flesh out  the city and I can't help feeling that the developers put it there 'because they can'. 

Spoiler

• Cutter De Blanc and Kampret like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

If they actually put in a proper subway system like LA's Red Line and kept the surface light rail as a separate entity then it would look better. I will quote what I said in another similar topic;

What bugs me (sorry) is why they could not have two seperate metro/light lines in the game and why did they hybridise it? I feel that the railway system would have looked far better with one wholly underground railway with surface depots/stabling yards wihch would make the system more complete. Furthermore the inclusion of a seperate light rail system intersecting strategically at larger stations would have looked far better in my eyes. Appropriate rolling stock for each type of railway should've been incorporated. An annoyance of mine is the lack of switches placed in certain points.

Cheers.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

They both have their plusses, but the LS subway feels more realistic, even if you can't walk around the carriage. The fact that there's an actual network definitely works in its favour. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

The LC subway was a great depiction of the NYC subway system and of course it's gonna' be gritty and gloomy just like in real life.

The LS subway system looks like it's there just because. It feels half assed and it reminds me Charlotte, North Carolina's mass transit system. New, pretty, vacant & useless.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

useless.

I've outrun a 4 star wanted level on the LS subway several times. Once you're in the tunnels, you're golden (mostly...)

That said, I've also been thoroughly bummed in the gob by several over-enthusiastic officers that managed to hit the station at the same time as me. 

InnocentA
  • InnocentA

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

The train system in IV is much better, "if it aint broke, dont fix it" well with V they 'fixed' a load of stuff that didnt need fixing, it was fine, so any variation ruins it imo. Like the cab rides, they took away the in-car view (WHY?!) and made it the same views as when you're driving them, so now thats über boring too
  • Cutter De Blanc and Tacymist like this

Khaos89
  • Khaos89

Has a small willy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

Neither are as good as the San Andreas subway where you can actually steal the trains.

• Osho likes this

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

I haven't played V in awhile, but from what I remember, the subway tunnels were depressingly unpopulated and boring.

From what I remember of IV however, the subways were teeming with dozens of civilians walking around or waiting for trains. There would always be a couple of cops down there just to watch over everything. I also remember there would usually be an old man playing the saxophone close to the tracks.

Hell, I had countless hours of fun from just pushing people off the ledge into the oncoming trains.

Typical V hater and IV praiser :)

• GTAglezga likes this

daltontigerboy
  • daltontigerboy

Cousin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:21 PM Edited by daltontigerboy, 03 September 2014 - 07:22 PM.

Typical V hater and IV praiser :)
I'm not 100% sure if that was a friendly joke, or if you were serious.

Anyway, what I said has nothing to do with my opinion on the games at all. I was only stating what I remember about both games. Why don't you boot up V for yourself, go into the underground subway station, and see if I'm just blindly hating on it?

I do prefer IV over V, but I still love both games and I will not deny either of their merits or advantages.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Obviously IV because it is based on NYC. The subway is a much bigger part of daily life there than in LA.

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:26 AM

My vote goes to IV. For sure a more usable system. sh*t I even tried doing a whole playthrough taking only the subway. It added more to LC's ambience. 

Oh how I miss you IV  :ph34r:

• Miamivicecity, Lead, daltontigerboy and 1 other like this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:29 AM

GTA V has the actual free roam part about the subway cars, but as an actual system, LC is unbeatable in that (and most) respect.

IanE55
  • IanE55

Welcome to Horizon.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Mexico

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hell, IV for sure.

It has that dark, witty, cold New York feel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users