Photo

I need some help with my commandline.txt

11 replies to this topic
gears86
  • gears86

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:59 PM Edited by gears86, 03 September 2014 - 01:59 AM.

Ok, so I have been looking everywhere all over the place for solutions on how to fix these rendering issues to where graphics on buildings and roads do not load properly. Sometimes they did not load at all. An example was the mission where you have to choose between Playboy X or Dwayne(I did X and no I won't spoil what exactly happens in this mission) and then after he jumps across the roof you need to take the staircase down and when you do, the walls were invisible from the inside.

Right now I'm at the mission to where you have to track down a helicopter and take it to an airport, the one called "Dust Off". When I take off with it, the city isn't showing properly and it takes just a second to load but the real bad part is after you land it in the spot it needs to be and then the loading time takes forever to where I cannot get past it. Tried uninstalling the game and reinstalled it, didn't work. My game isn't modded either.

First I'll show you my specs.

Windows 7

8.00 GB RAM

AMD Phenom X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series(specifically 5830)

I rightclick my desktop and choose advance settings to show my graphic card memory. I hear that commandline goes by "dedicated video memory", which mine is 1024 MB.

Here is my commandline:

-availablevidmem 1024(and yes, I've tried changing this value to many different numbers)

-framelimit 60

-norestrictions

-nomemrestrict

Graphics settings:

Video mode: 1920x1080(60 HZ)

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: High

Reflection Resolution: High

Water Quality: High

Texture Filter: Tri Linear

Night Shadows: Off

View Distance: 55

Detail Distance: 50

Definition: Enabled

VSync: Disabled

Version of GTAIV: 1.0.7.0

So, what shall I make my availablevidmem be and what else needs to go into the commandline? I know commandline fixes a lot but it all depends on the computer specs and what commands are thrown into the commandline. And yes I do run LaunchterGTAIV.exe as administrator.

DaBOSS54320
  • DaBOSS54320

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:23 AM Edited by DaBOSS54320, 03 September 2014 - 02:24 AM.

Spoiler

One obvious thing would be to simply reduce the settings, I see you have everything fairly high. Also (at least in my experience) the Texture Filter you can put on max with very few consequences, the texture and shadow qualities have huge impacts on performance though. So does view and detail distance. I had a similar issue on my old PC, the majority of the game was invisible but after I set some settings down it started to work better.

With commandline.txt, read the "ReadMe.txt" in the root of GTA IV. It has a section for how those arguments work. If I remember correctly it is a lot smaller number you put then what you did. I think it is like for every 500 MB you have. So 4.0 would be 2000. If I am incorrect then someone please correct me as this comes from just memory...

You're other settings in commandline seem like they will work good, but I know that availablevidmem needs some adjusting...
Also there is something like percentvidmem but I don't know if that will do anything as I see you also used no restrictions.

• Frozenflake likes this

Frozenflake
  • Frozenflake

_Everything_is_connected. Connection_is_power.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Try values as: 1.1, 1.5, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0

DaBOSS54320
  • DaBOSS54320

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

Put it high as possible until there is a warning in the graphics tab in options.

Frozenflake
  • Frozenflake

_Everything_is_connected. Connection_is_power.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:56 PM Edited by Frozenflake, 05 September 2014 - 08:02 PM.

DaBOSS54320, you is correct.
gears86, see all commands for commandline.txt here:
http://gtaforums.com...ine-parameters/

gears86
  • gears86

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

Ok, so I set all my settings to medium with the exception of shadows. Instead, I turned off all shadows to really cut back. I set view distance to 20 and the other distances decressing them to 40. I did a test on every single avaliablemem getting a warning sign in the options and dropped it until it turned green. For me, that would be 6.6.

Yet the problem is, I still get missing graphics just a few minutes after loading up the main game. I still have the other commands I previously mentioned in there too.

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:46 AM

Ok, so I set all my settings to medium with the exception of shadows. Instead, I turned off all shadows to really cut back. I set view distance to 20 and the other distances decressing them to 40. I did a test on every single avaliablemem getting a warning sign in the options and dropped it until it turned green. For me, that would be 6.6.

Yet the problem is, I still get missing graphics just a few minutes after loading up the main game. I still have the other commands I previously mentioned in there too.

It could be something is making the HDD busy. Similarly to X360 (and PS3), GTA IV streams textures from HDD. If the HDD became too busy, it may lead to texture disappearing and freeze until the textures are loaded.

Try not using any command lines, and see how the game reacts.

gears86
  • gears86

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

If that is the case, would the best way is to probably NOT use the commandline and instead just go into task manager and shut down some of the most memory consuming processes?

gears86
  • gears86

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:55 AM Edited by gears86, 09 September 2014 - 04:56 AM.

Ok, I think I have come to the conclusion, and I hope that EVERYBODY reads this.

DO NOT USE NORESTRICTIONS AND NOMEMRESTRICT!

Why? I notice that every time I use this, it makes things worse, much, much, much, much worse. Graphics will disappear sooner than you think and loading transitions between cutscenes will keep looping, forcing you to quit the game by going through task manager. I have no idea why people recommend it, when it doesn't improve things, it makes it far, far worse and I need everyone to realize this. Availablevidmem might be ok but the other 2, I strongly advise not to use those.

I need to find a real cure for this, what is the real cure? I even went as far as setting all the distance bars under 20, still no luck.

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

Ok, I think I have come to the conclusion, and I hope that EVERYBODY reads this.

DO NOT USE NORESTRICTIONS AND NOMEMRESTRICT!

Why? I notice that every time I use this, it makes things worse, much, much, much, much worse. Graphics will disappear sooner than you think and loading transitions between cutscenes will keep looping, forcing you to quit the game by going through task manager. I have no idea why people recommend it, when it doesn't improve things, it makes it far, far worse and I need everyone to realize this. Availablevidmem might be ok but the other 2, I strongly advise not to use those.

I need to find a real cure for this, what is the real cure? I even went as far as setting all the distance bars under 20, still no luck.

Well, norestrictions and nomemrestrict switches are prone to giving people memory leaks.

Don't launch GTA IV with admin rights.

You can try following this guide:

http://gtaforums.com...erformance-fix/

Worked for me when I was using GTS 250. Don't need it anymore when I upgraded to 6770.

gears86
  • gears86

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:02 AM

There has to be a more powerful way to do this.

I make commandlines with setting available video memory = FAIL!

Used cachebooster  = FAIL!

Used Minimem = FAIL!

Used Cleanmem = FAIL!

No matter what anyone recommends, especially on Youtube, it's all nothing but total BS and it isn't working for me.

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

2015 is the "Year"

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

Try to analyze your GPU Usage with MSi Afterburner...
Mine looks like this:

873f489047.png

Crap job of R* Toronto.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users