Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTAO is decent, but smells corporate greed all over...

139 replies to this topic
Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

But recently it hit me and it hit me hard that R* don't want you to spend your time in freemode hence the pathetic 'passive mode' .....they want you to do jobs which you even have to 'pay' to get into and release more and more expensive items to buy. I often wonder what I am ranking, earning up for? I just want to have random experiences in the world R* created like in IV's.

You can still have them. You can also do all the other stuff. It's like magic or something!

Whoa...heated debate. Maybe the complainers should realise that you don't pay for rockstar for "maximum fun". You pay for a disc (or two) with GTA V. GTA V is whatever the hell rockstar games decides what it is. Maybe it's just a drawing of a giant middle finger. Then it's up to you to decide whether you think it's worth 60 dollars or euros or whatever.

Gang wars doesn't fit with the story. Just because frank is black and from a low income neighbourhood doest mean his main ambition is to be a hoofdlum.

Like it or not, gta has an open world bit its very much a story driven game. Its always been like that. The story decides the features. I like that. Saints row works the other way around. They'll throw in everything and the kitchen sink, but for me its an unfocused mess to play. The game never becomes more than the sum of it's features. GTA V ( for me) is more than the sum of its features pretty much all the time. More is not always better.

Apart from that..yeah sure there's stuff they could do to improve it. I would like vigilante missions back and I would love to do more with the cab company you can buy. Drug trade would be another great minigame. But I don't miss anything and I definitely don't have that weird sense of entitlement some people have here.

If you don't agree with rockstar's design decisions on this game...well then that's just a bitch, isn't it? Better luck next time! Because something tells me you'll buy GTA 6 or whatever comes next. See how this works for rockstar designers? Why work on the things that'll make you (already convinced customer) a bit happier, or try to draw in new audience maybe? Will you buy the game twice? No... That settles it then...did someone say yoga?

I like this. Because it's based in reality.

• hyperar likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

I paid for a game that they said would be the most ambitious best game they ever made. Their online portion is the only thing I see as super ambitious. And even then, it seems like they're not really breaking any new ground.   :/

Thing is they said it would be "the most ambitious" before they ever even started talking about online. I feel a bit misled, but I'm hoping most of the single player restrictions will be gone in the new version, although there's really no reason to think that.   

• DIEXEL, fac316, Osho and 1 other like this

FriendlyFireOFF
  • FriendlyFireOFF

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:59 PM Edited by FriendlyFireOFF, 09 September 2014 - 09:00 PM.

But recently it hit me and it hit me hard that R* don't want you to spend your time in freemode hence the pathetic 'passive mode' .....they want you to do jobs which you even have to 'pay' to get into and release more and more expensive items to buy. I often wonder what I am ranking, earning up for? I just want to have random experiences in the world R* created like in IV's.

You can still have them. You can also do all the other stuff. It's like magic or something!

Not really as it's not the same as IV's freemode which I enjoyed and still do. I just want more options of being able to filter how I play freemode and not have to worry about friendly fire, the police, rank, money.

• DEERxBanshee likes this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

I hate the idea I just can't buy whatever weapon I want to have, or steal any car I want, and can only do rooftop rumble so many times.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:08 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 09 September 2014 - 10:14 PM.

There are parts of this I agree with, and other bits not.

Firstly, I don't understand this often implied mutual exclusivity of enjoyment of GTA SP and GTA MP. I like both, but taking one away wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the other either way. I also don't buy that they've neglected one part for the other. They may have seemingly had more newswire updates for Online, but in general they've not been revolutionary. All of them were good fun, and I'm not complaining about free updates, but I doubt much of it had required a serious capital investment to produce. The idea that an EFLC style expansion has been sacrificed for this just doesn't add up to me. What I think has happened is any SP expansion has been delayed to coincide with the new Gen release (which presumably has taken longer than expected due to the wait for Xbox One dev kits).

This said, I really don't know why they don't produce more SP expansions, in general.. From R* interviews I've read, it is creating the city and open world itself that takes the vast majority of the effort, and by implication, the cost. Maybe I'm just a GTA nut, but I'd have bought a third expansion for IV after TBOGT if they'd have made one. Adding in additional stories, once the city is done, should be a relatively cheap, low risk investment. R* have quite a few studios, and you have to wonder what they are all working on. I'm excited about GTA V PC, but I'm fairly certain that plus GTA Online hasn't taken up the whole company's time.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

Just because frank is black and from a low income neighbourhood doest mean his main ambition is to be a hoodlum

Yeah sure. Franklin's ambition is to become a 9 to 5 office worker and a law-abiding citizen that does ironing and gardening in his spare time. No real need to call this game GTA then right ? Better off calling it The Sims.

Okay so hoodlum is the wrong word here. He doesn't want to be gangsta. He's broken away from his old gang (Stretch) and constantly on Lamar about his gang sh*t. It doesn't make sense for franklin to get involved in a turf war.

Besides..does that even happen in LA nowadays? Old fashioned turf war, like GTA SA (quite lamely) tried to portray.

I thought Franklin wasn't the most interesting character in the game, but still a lot more so than a stereotypical gangbanger. 'Riding on fools' doesn't make for a compelling story anymore. Been there, done that, bought the hideous t shirt with tupacs face printed top to bottom.

Zanje
  • Zanje

Stand up guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:11 AM Edited by Zanje, 10 September 2014 - 12:17 AM.

I dont understand, what other gta game had free updates adding new vehicles and weapons? you would think people would be happy about this?

EDIT: even if you go with the POV that they are cut vehicles i would have loved, 1,2,3,vc,SA, and 4 and its episodes to have given me free downloads for its cut vehicles later on down the road, but never happened. :-/ I either had to pay for them as in some of the episodes vehicles, or never got them at all. I cant say i find a fault with the DLC Rockstar has been putting out, it certainly beats the free DLC for all previous GTA games right?

• hyperar likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:32 AM

Just because frank is black and from a low income neighbourhood doest mean his main ambition is to be a hoodlum

Yeah sure. Franklin's ambition is to become a 9 to 5 office worker and a law-abiding citizen that does ironing and gardening in his spare time. No real need to call this game GTA then right ? Better off calling it The Sims.

Okay so hoodlum is the wrong word here. He doesn't want to be gangsta. He's broken away from his old gang (Stretch) and constantly on Lamar about his gang sh*t. It doesn't make sense for franklin to get involved in a turf war.
Besides..does that even happen in LA nowadays? Old fashioned turf war, like GTA SA (quite lamely) tried to portray.
I thought Franklin wasn't the most interesting character in the game, but still a lot more so than a stereotypical gangbanger. 'Riding on fools' doesn't make for a compelling story anymore. Been there, done that, bought the hideous t shirt with tupacs face printed top to bottom.

Firstly, Franklin is still a gang member, he still wears the Families gang colours and he still reps their name. He just does not want to continue doing the low-level hustling and street stuff that street gangs like his own are used to doing. Franklin just wants to make seriously big money from crime, and to do that he wants a change of direction in his criminal career. It's nothing to do with not wanting to be a gangsta anymore. Franklin is a gang member, but one with high ambitions.

Even if Franklin wants to stop being a gangsta, it don't automatically and instantly mean he'd just simply stop being one, in real life, most times it don't work like that. There is every plausible chance and a million reasons as to why he could get dragged back into some gang war or feud. He is still a gang member or gang affiliated, there is every chance this could happen. In real life, many people who try to leave the gang life always get dragged back to it. In any case, some kind of gang war or drug war activity would offer solid fun and interesting replay value. It could be made to be improved on the simplistic SA gang war, much more detailed or sophisticated. Why certain people are so against this is beyond me. I guess yoga and towing trucks is just what some people want and nothing else.

Yeah, gang wars still go on in real life LA. Maybe not as much or intense as back in the 1990s or early 2000s, but sh*t still goes on. Gang wars still pop off in real life LA as we speak.
  • MiamiViceCity likes this

magikmanx
  • magikmanx

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:36 AM

if i had to buy gta online seperatly from gta v singlepayer and pay for it seperatly i would understand some of this

but gta online comes with gta singleplayer so theres no excuse

gta online might be the fall of grand theft auto

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

I also don't buy that they've neglected one part for the other. They may have seemingly had more newswire updates for Online, but in general they've not been revolutionary. 

I think Tilemaxx is talking about specific features and content that would work in both modes, but were limited to GTAO. If you played/play both, you know the ones that are in MP, but not in single player. Some of that stuff like extra properties, cars, bigger garages, missions, content creator, inventory, more clothes etc. would definitely be welcome in SP. 

• Tilemaxx and hyperar like this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Decadence and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:32 AM

I also don't buy that they've neglected one part for the other. They may have seemingly had more newswire updates for Online, but in general they've not been revolutionary. 

I think Tilemaxx is talking about specific features and content that would work in both modes, but were limited to GTAO. If you played/play both, you know the ones that are in MP, but not in single player. Some of that stuff like extra properties, cars, bigger garages, missions, content creator, inventory, more clothes etc. would definitely be welcome in SP. 

content creator for V! omg I would love that!!

magikmanx
  • magikmanx

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:35 AM

i was very disappointed when i can hold armor and snacks in my inventory on gta online my not on gta sp

its such a useful feature

• hyperar likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:50 AM

This :^:

• rampage08 likes this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

I didnt play much of iv single player or much of v single player. Only really online on both, I think they should have put 100% all the effort into online. The days of non online gaming left us with doom and duke nukem.

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

agreed, If they make it so that our online character can be played in SP, i don't think i'll ever play Online again. SP is much more fun.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:21 PM Edited by Cyper, 10 September 2014 - 12:24 PM.

That is one of the reasons to why I don't play the game anymore. Another reason is that driving in my opinion isn't fun anymore. Vehicle in GTA IV did not have very good traction, but in GTA V its completely the opposite. It's overdone. It feels like if I am playing True Crime: Streets of L.A on the PS2.  Then, GTA have been a singleplayer experience for me since 1997. I find very little pleasure online.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

@ Cyper
True! GTA truly shines as the best single-player open world game.
ONLINE stinks!
I guess for them it is just another rising opportunity to cash in on the crazy popularity of multi player gaming. But, unfortunately, they left me with the impression, that the SP is not the only thing appealing anymore, because quite a number of interesting things to do, are only available ONLINE, and that quite frankly sucks.
The scope and the world they created are incredibly awesome, and clearly plenty of activities they could have introduced into the game, to sort of play them like side fun and put the potential to best use.
This is just a matter of allowing the single-players' to get the taste too, than forcing or creating such a situation to make us play many interesting things of pure fun, only ONLINE!
With not much left over to do, outside the story, it actually makes me feel disconnected with the game, and not interested as the way, as incredibly as in GTA SA.
The fun factor isn't high enough due to limited content, and makes the single player meaningless soon, to me, no matter how amazing it looks and feels.
  • Kalerney, Cutter De Blanc and FANTOMTRON like this

magikmanx
  • magikmanx

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

gta is all about singleplayer

if you buy gta for multiplayer only and dont play singleplayer then you are missing out on some of the best games ever made

online is just slowing down singleplayer

• FANTOMTRON likes this

UtterTehSEAL
  • UtterTehSEAL

This is the victory we longed for.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:34 AM

Corporate greed?
AFAIK I paid 60e for a disc with a very large single player game with very high production values and that I still regularly play. And a full bodied multiplayer game that even I enjoy (that's rare). A game that so far has been generously supported with patches, dlc packs and additional modes...all free of charge.

Can you please point out the corporate greed in that? So you don't like GTA online...don't play it and stick to single player. Name me one open world game that has more high quality content and production values and still receives regular updates a year after release?

This. Holy mother of f*ck this x1000.

DEERxBanshee
  • DEERxBanshee

Badder den dem

• Members

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:42 AM

the single player story isn't paced very well imo and it's what kept this game being awesome to me. that and the ped interactions suck like i've said many times.

online is boring..plain and simple. i wish the online missions had more of a story to them and weren't just random sh*t a contact has you do probably wouldn't be possible to do it like that but it'd make it more fun. also where are the no police, traffic density, weather, options. GTA IV free roam was way better imo (when people decided to ditch the airport that is)

the apartments are also lame, all the same interior??? what's the point in owning the most expensive one if the least expensive high end apartment has the same interior?? for a better view??? please

maybe i will change my tune with next gen gta v...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users