Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTAO is decent, but smells corporate greed all over...

139 replies to this topic
B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

If the SP base is so loyal EFLC would have sold so much more than it did. It's criminal how much it was slept on. I was playing it last night and it's better than many full games but people didn't appreciate so R changed it's focus. I blame the fans more than I blame R.

Maybe IV's failure to satisfy the masses left the same impression on EFLC. Besides, it wasn't as advertised as all the major GTAs was it? In my opinion, the Episodes are some of the best GTAs (TLAD personally) despite their low amount of content.

• adictoGTA likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

The way I see it, I'm glad all the corporate greed is in GTA Online, because it leaves the singleplayer with its integrity. 

Yeah but there's no gang wars or drug dealing in SP so Online is the anti-christ. 

Well, GTA V is inspired by the movie "Heat" not "Boyz in da Hood" like San Andreas was, so gang wars wouldn't really fit since the only character that has anything to do with gangs wants nothing but to avoid the gang life all together.

Exactly.

See guys, this isn't so hard to fathom is it? But these activities make sense on online because the character is a lowly thug making his first big LS bucks.

Let's be brutally clear:

- Lots of people didn't play all of IV.
- Lots of people skipped EFLC.
- Lots of people loved IV online.
- Publishers actively request and expect multiplayer even when it's totally inappropriate, for example, The Last of Us, Mass Effect.
- Studios need more than one revenue stream to survive as they don't get to keep every cent of every disc sold.

So, we have a gaming franchise that originated in SP. Cool. Bit, overall, gaming has changed and multiplayer is often needed to keep studios afloat. Micro transactions are prevalent to keep those extra streams of revenue coming in.

Therefore R* were pretty much obliged to cater for both audiences.

On balance, each mode has content that the other doesn't. V's missions are more elaborate and there's way more of them. Online's got way less missions but more activities to enhance the social element.

Online is optional and was free. You don't have to play it, you don't have to buy cash cards. It exists as both an add on and a seperate entity depending on how you want to play.

As far as I can see, both modes/games are very good. Neither is perfect. Both offer a lot of what you expect in GTA, relative to the context and plot. You have access to both. If you feel cheated by this game, or by R*, I can only think you're a self centred stuck up priss who has a huge problem with entitlement.

If you feel that R* are sellouts, you clearly have no idea about how modern business works and about what it takes to keep a company like this running. Of course there is an element of corporate greed. That's business. There's also two very well made games that you got for one reasonable price (unless you were crazy enough to think it was worth dropping a couple of hundred bucks on a game and some branded baubles, in which case, more fool you. Your choice, live with it. You bought into the corporate marketing.)

Why did people expect this game to be so much more than is reasonably possible in 5 years?
  • OneManCrimeWave, PeriodZeroHero, adictoGTA and 1 other like this

Che Guevara_187
  • Che Guevara_187

Rebel

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:53 PM Edited by burnzy187, 01 September 2014 - 07:53 PM.

I prefer GTA IVs online just pick up and play no strings attached , free roam was the sh*t 

• Algonquin Assassin, DIEXEL, Cutter De Blanc and 4 others like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

If the SP base is so loyal EFLC would have sold so much more than it did. It's criminal how much it was slept on. I was playing it last night and it's better than many full games but people didn't appreciate so R changed it's focus. I blame the fans more than I blame R.

Maybe IV's failure to satisfy the masses left the same impression on EFLC. Besides, it wasn't as advertised as all the major GTAs was it? In my opinion, the Episodes are some of the best GTAs (TLAD personally) despite their low amount of content.

EFLC was released in the middle of the IV backlash so people didn't want to buy anything associated with IV. At that time IV was the devil and was the cool thing to hate. Being that V is being treated that way these days why would any smart company release a big DLC in this kind of climate? The same thing would probably happen again.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

GTAV didn't even get the half the backlash IV got. My guess is that they just wait to bundle the DLC with the PS4/X1/PC ver.

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

Maybe because those that had IV, bought the DLC right away as it was released...thus eliminating the need to go out and buy the EFLC edition (assuming you're talking about R* re-release disc with the game and DLC in one package). That's the way I always saw it as because it holds true for me. 

• Che Guevara_187 likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Keep in mind that XBL/PSN don't release sales statistics to the public. So everybody had to count the sales from the retail EFLC and onwards.

RenThePyro
  • RenThePyro

I kept on walking

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:28 AM

EFLC was released in the middle of the IV backlash so people didn't want to buy anything associated with IV. At that time IV was the devil and was the cool thing to hate. Being that V is being treated that way these days why would any smart company release a big DLC in this kind of climate? The same thing would probably happen again.

Hence due to the stubborn community, we can't have good things...

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

GTAV didn't even get the half the backlash IV got. My guess is that they just wait to bundle the DLC with the PS4/X1/PC ver.

I wasn't on this forum when IV was released but if the backlash was worse than V is now then no wonder R went in a completely different direction. It's like a spouse who brow beats you into changing then gets mad when you do.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:38 AM

Much, much worse back then.

• Detective Phelps likes this

BENNY BLANCO
  • BENNY BLANCO

Player Hater

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:39 AM Edited by BENNY BLANCO, 02 September 2014 - 01:41 AM.

Rockstar  like all corporations in it for the $$$ . Only 40% gamers completed GTA IV SP. Hence the strong empathize online.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:41 AM

It wasn't even 40%. It was less than 30%.

inb4 OG

• Fuzzknuckles and OneManCrimeWave like this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM

I prefer cash cards over having to pay for these small DLCs.

• PeriodZeroHero likes this

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:46 AM Edited by DS 17, 02 September 2014 - 03:47 AM.

Sure, while there is always a crack or hack for using the single player modus, there is no opportunity for doing the same in MP, as it connects to the R* server. So with this methode R* can easily check if you really bought the disc. Yes, it smells like corporate greed is here, but not only in that title. Actually in everything what R* is releasing. 

In fact R* is a really bad company. I would never like to work there in my life. Maybe some here still remember how they are treating their employees. GTA is great, no doubt about that, but the company that is responsible for it is nothing than crap. 

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:36 AM Edited by ViceCityStalker, 02 September 2014 - 05:43 AM.

f*ck this noise for the most part GTA Online is for me amazing,yeah sure it had many teething issues but when it works it works awesomely and you won`t find anything similar anywhere else.The shark card is also a non sequitur and doesn`t bother me in the least,just don`t buy them they are not absolutely necessary,also GTA Online in essence is free to play we don`t get constantly get mind raped by obtrusive adds or anything while in-game or in a lobby.

• Fuzzknuckles and OneManCrimeWave like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well, GTA V is inspired by the movie "Heat" not "Boyz in da Hood" like San Andreas was, so gang wars wouldn't really fit since the only character that has anything to do with gangs wants nothing but to avoid the gang life all together.

Johnny didn't want a war with the AoD, Johnny wanted to run the gang smart, but he could still do Gang Wars against all other LC gangs, why couldn't Franklin? Think of it as an Out Of Character activity so players could have fun.

• Osho likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:21 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 02 September 2014 - 08:21 AM.

Johnny didn't want a war with the AoD, Johnny wanted to run the gang smart, but he could still do Gang Wars against all other LC gangs, why couldn't Franklin? Think of it as an Out Of Character activity so players could have fun.

Johnny didn't want a war, but the AoD did, so they were bringing it to them. It was unavoidable. 

That's not the case in V, Franklin is basically out of that life, and looking for new opportunities. Lamar is incapable of moving on from it. 

You know that scene where Franklin meets Michael outside the beach house? Right at the beginning of the game? Where him and Lamar discuss this?

Yeah, that. Probably should consider re-watching that. 

• adictoGTA likes this

CallumL
  • CallumL

I love you, but you're an asshole.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

I say this a lot, no matter how much DLC they bring out, it's just the same everytime. "Here are some clothes, cars and some weapons." And it's like everything just cleans your account out, and they do it purposely for us to buy Shark Cards, which I refuse to do. So yeah, they are being greedy, however we cannot complain due to the fact that we get the DLC for free. Yes it is coming up to a year since the release which makes me feel quite confident that they're going to surprise us for it's 1 year anniversary. But I agree, a lot of the content added should have been added with the game. 

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:50 AM Edited by Osho, 02 September 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Johnny didn't want a war, but the AoD did, so they were bringing it to them. It was unavoidable. That's not the case in V, Franklin is basically out of that life, and looking for new opportunities. Lamar is incapable of moving on from it. You know that scene where Franklin meets Michael outside the beach house? Right at the beginning of the game? Where him and Lamar discuss this? Yeah, that. Probably should consider re-watching that.
Seriously, some people need to remind themselves that they are playing a goddamn video-game, called GTA, and there's a wide open sandbox on a truly vast scale, with an absolutely ton of opportunities for a plethora of stuff and side activities, than playing with a tennis racket, or doing stupid virtual yoga, and playing golf. Who cares whether Franklin is interested in gang wars, and whether it's suitable or not?
The purpose of the characters, M, T and F are limited to the story, while outside of the story, any of them could be used solely for playing the trademark style GRAND THEFT AUTO!!!!!
It's not that hard, of course, to grasp even for a kid.
  • B Dawg, adictoGTA and mariasalvatore like this

DJ_Vejeejee
  • DJ_Vejeejee

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Cayman-Islands

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

'who cares about multiplayer?' u mean who cares about single player? 

if there wasn't a 2 week wait period between single- and multiplayer when GTA V came out, I wouldn't even have started single player.. 

It's fake. like a movie. all fake.  multiplayer is with real badasses who trick and surprise u

• ViceCityStalker likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hahah, people still think cash cards are in anyway relevant. So ridiculous. 

How many times do people need to be reminded that they're optional and that, if you put in a tiny bit of effort and play the game the way it's meant to be played, you absolutely don't need them? 

Remember kids, you don't need the best apartment, a 10 garage filled with sh*tty ugly chrome Adders and a full wardrobe by level 10. Or even level 50. Or even level 100. You can get by fine without any of that sh*t. 

• ViceCityStalker and BENNY BLANCO like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Johnny didn't want a war, but the AoD did, so they were bringing it to them. It was unavoidable. That's not the case in V, Franklin is basically out of that life, and looking for new opportunities. Lamar is incapable of moving on from it. You know that scene where Franklin meets Michael outside the beach house? Right at the beginning of the game? Where him and Lamar discuss this? Yeah, that. Probably should consider re-watching that.
Seriously, some people need to remind themselves that they are playing a goddamn video-game, called GTA, and there's a wide open sandbox on a truly vast scale, with an absolutely ton of opportunities for a plethora of stuff and side activities, than playing with a tennis racket, or doing stupid virtual yoga, and playing golf. Who cares whether Franklin is interested in gang wars, and whether it's suitable or not?
The purpose of the characters, M, T and F are limited to the story, while outside of the story, any of them could be used solely for playing the trademark style GRAND THEFT AUTO!!!!!
It's not that hard, of course, to grasp even for a kid.

So what you're saying is... 

Wait. 

What are you even saying? 

As far as I can tell you just want a mish mash of totally incongruous stuff that makes no sense when put together in the same context. It sounds to me like you actually just want Saints Row. No jokes, that how it sounds. 

GN 1992
  • GN 1992

aka gnad.1992

• GTAF Crew
  • Brazil
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

After months of research I concluded that all they care about is selling shark cards

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

After months of research I concluded that all they care about is selling shark cards

Do you know anyone that has bought one? Bought one yourself? Played for long enough to find any reason to actually buy one?

Shark cards are not the problem with online, why does everyone keep on about them? 

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

As far as I can tell you just want a mish mash of totally incongruous stuff that makes no sense when put together in the same context. It sounds to me like you actually just want Saints Row. No jokes, that how it sounds.02

So, you've no problems in suggesting others to play ONLINE, and do all such "out of context" and incongruous stuff, but when it comes to single player, you start comparing with Saints Row, bring under the scrutiny of the game setting, and perfectly fine if the single player game fails to receive full benefits from the potential available?
You seem almost blatant in your efforts to get away from a lot of things that made the single player gaming, esp. GTA's, so much fun, ever since you have started playing ONLINE.
I was simply pointing out as an example, that there're gangs in the game, so what's the problem in having gang wars?
More illegal, and other interesting side activities are a no-brainer.
For a single-player mode of GTA, more things to do means, more we could extend our attempts to play with the gameworld, thus we can put all those weapons, vehicles and several other things to best use.
Yoga, tennis, golf, and all the mini-games are way too limited in allowing us that freedom.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

As far as I can tell you just want a mish mash of totally incongruous stuff that makes no sense when put together in the same context. It sounds to me like you actually just want Saints Row. No jokes, that how it sounds.02

So, you've no problems in suggesting others to play ONLINE, and do all such "out of context" and incongruous stuff, but when it comes to single player, you start comparing with Saints Row, bring under the scrutiny of the game setting, and perfectly fine if the single player game fails to receive full benefits from the potential available?
You seem almost blatant in your efforts to get away from a lot of things that made the single player gaming, esp. GTA's, so much fun, ever since you have started playing ONLINE.
I was simply pointing out as an example, that there're gangs in the game, so what's the problem in having gang wars?
More illegal, and other interesting side activities are a no-brainer.
For a single-player mode of GTA, more things to do means, more we could extend our attempts to play with the gameworld, thus we can put all those weapons, vehicles and several other things to best use.
Yoga, tennis, golf, and all the mini-games are way too limited in allowing us that freedom.

Yet again, you appear to have skim-read my post and missed the point. I salute your consistency. 

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Yet again, you appear to have skim-read my post and missed the point. I salute your consistency.02

Could be, though, I read what you wrote and responded.
If you put as much effort into not understanding simple things as they are necessary to generate the maximum confusion, then no one can ever get your point.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Yet again, you appear to have skim-read my post and missed the point. I salute your consistency.02

Could be, though, I read what you wrote and responded.
If you put as much effort into not understanding simple things as they are necessary to generate the maximum confusion, then no one can ever get your point.

No, you definitely missed my point, which was that Online's activities are appropriate for that character, and that they're inappropriate for the protags in SP. 

But you want it all available to SP characters, which would result in a mish mash of things that make sense within the game's context and things that don't. The only game I can think of that is comparable to GTA that has that kind of approach is Saints Row. 

So, you were saying?

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:42 PM Edited by Osho, 02 September 2014 - 02:47 PM.

No, you definitely missed my point, which was that Online's activities are appropriate for that character, and that they're inappropriate for the protags in SP.    But you want it all available to SP characters, which would result in a mish mash of things that make sense within the game's context and things that don't. The only game I can think of that is comparable to GTA that has that kind of approach is Saints Row.  So, you were saying?

I already got this point, but you missed my point of introducing things "while outside of the story, any of them could be used solely for playing the trademark style GRAND THEFT AUTO" I repeat, "outside of the story", meaning once you finish the story. Once you finish the ending, then you are free from all the factors resulting in breaking the immersion, or whatever, while you're playing the role of M, T, and F during the story. Some activities can be unlocked and reserved for things after the story. I mean, you're anyways, wasting your time after the campaign in doing everything that's out of context, then why not gang wars? You've finished the story and have complete freedom to enjoy the open world. That's the problem with the HD games, as they limit the players with only those activities that fits the character, but for the most part, after completing the story, the gameworld feels empty without anymore interesting activities to do. By allowing the players a lot of stuff after they enjoy and complete the part they have to perform during the story, it would solve the issues of many available potential outside the story.
  • B Dawg and Detective Phelps like this

pilscy
  • pilscy

Don Vito

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:46 PM Edited by pilscy, 02 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

small pointer... imagine if we could of call the mechanic or lester for wanted levels in SP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users