Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTAO is decent, but smells corporate greed all over...

139 replies to this topic
Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:32 AM Edited by Tilemaxx, 01 September 2014 - 01:42 AM.

Warning, this is not a rant, just a personal opinion. 

I don't know, maybe i'm not the modern type of gamer, but i couldn't get hooked on GTAO no matter how hard i tried. Don't get me wrong, you all know how i love GTA V and everything, but GTAO just feels like it's made out of obligation or something. All those kinds of properties, cars, missions are really a fresh air in the game, but to me most of them should have been implemented to the SP portion of the game from day one last year. 

The fact that R* forced the loyal SP fanbase (that made GTA what it is today) to have to switch on MP in order to gain access to extra houses, vehicles, weapons etc, is beyond me. The fact that they shifted focus to MP almost excusively after game's release, is another dissapointing fact. 

As much as i think GTAV SP is a much better game over IV SP, IV's online portion was simpler and more fundamental resulting in a more natural and straight-forward experience for the player, allowing to just hook up and play without the extra hassle of GTAO. 

It's almost a year since Sept. 17 2013, and the much-promised SP DLC is yet TBA, while all they have to show is another MP update that nobody cares about. GTA has never been about online in the first place.

• GutterMouthPWG, Miamivicecity, Cyper and 45 others like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:44 AM

Whilst not an original complaint Tilemaxx, I do understand your eloquent point of view and so before we get complaints that this topic should be in the GTA Online Forum, I am happy for the subject to be discussed right here.

• Miamivicecity, matajuegos01, The7thOne and 1 other like this

Tatsuya
  • Tatsuya

Like a rolling stone.

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:50 AM

Gotta agree with you, though all the cars in the MP updates are free in the protagonist's garage, but I remember a trailer of Franklin checking out a house.
  • Tilemaxx likes this

dillono
  • dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:52 AM Edited by dillono, 01 September 2014 - 04:55 AM.

It was a free adition in the game, and it's not like you can't blame R* for making money off it, as Blizzard, Activistion, EA, and others have offered micro-transactions in online games and have made a lot of money off it, sh*t, R* has already sold a total of $200 million in Shark Cards right now, and as R* does heavily enforce it, it was originally not supposed to be in the game at all, as in the online trailer lots of stuff were cheaper and had similar prices.

TL;DR? R* was influenced from other companies and their sucess with micro-transactions that they implemented the "greed" in online.

• InTheShadowsSince04 and LordZekrom like this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:52 AM

Whilst not an original complaint Tilemaxx, I do understand your eloquent point of view and so before we get complaints that this topic should be in the GTA Online Forum, I am happy for the subject to be discussed right here.

It won't get that much attention in the GTAO forum. Thank you for keeping it here.

• Miamivicecity, sqre, GroundZero and 4 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:17 AM Edited by Official General, 01 September 2014 - 02:20 AM.

Warning, this is not a rant, just a personal opinion. 

I don't know, maybe i'm not the modern type of gamer, but i couldn't get hooked on GTAO no matter how hard i tried. Don't get me wrong, you all know how i love GTA V and everything, but GTAO just feels like it's made out of obligation or something. All those kinds of properties, cars, missions are really a fresh air in the game, but to me most of them should have been implemented to the SP portion of the game from day one last year. 

The fact that R* forced the loyal SP fanbase (that made GTA what it is today) to have to switch on MP in order to gain access to extra houses, vehicles, weapons etc, is beyond me. The fact that they shifted focus to MP almost excusively after game's release, is another dissapointing fact. 

As much as i think GTAV SP is a much better game over IV SP, IV's online portion was simpler and more fundamental resulting in a more natural and straight-forward experience for the player, allowing to just hook up and play without the extra hassle of GTAO. 

It's almost a year since Sept. 17 2013, and the much-promised SP DLC is yet TBA, while all they have to show is another MP update that nobody cares about. GTA has never been about online in the first place.

Well said and I totally agree  :^:  :^:

We actually agree on something for once. Rockstar have really f*cked up with the way they have treated the SP portion of V. There is no other way to say it. God knows why they took this route, but it's certainly not endeared them to many of their fans. If all the the really nice side missions and features were included by the ton in the SP, the relatively weak story of V would have been tolerated a great deal more by people like me who heavily criticize the game. 

• Tilemaxx, sqre, mariasalvatore and 1 other like this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

Rockstar has given us more free content than almost any other big console blockbuster

if this were ANY GAME AT ALL from EA, Activision, Ubisoft

we'd have been paying $1 per car, $5-10 per update, $1 per new gun, etc

the sense of entitlement over expansion content for GTA V such as heists and new SP or MP missions is something I don't understand.

• Xyn, InTheShadowsSince04, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV
  • L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

"You know what T? I'm getting too old for this non sens

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:40 AM

I have much more fun playing GTA 5 singleplayer mode than GTA Online, at least on singleplayer i'm free for do what i want, be who i want to be without a f*cking moron trying to kill me every single second.

• saintsrow, Tilemaxx and A.O.D.88 like this

burnzy187
  • burnzy187

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:50 AM

Its a shame every time theres a online update something bad happens with my SP save (dont know if its just me) but missing cars? , hair cuts have disappeared? and the latest update removed all my weapons in SP , WTF?

• Tilemaxx, sqre and TJGM like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Advocate For GTA Online Map Additions

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:56 AM Edited by The7thOne, 01 September 2014 - 02:58 AM.

I completely agree. GTA has always been about engaging story lines, and single player content. Heck, GTA IV got its first DLC 9 months after release. GTA V's been out for 11 months.

GTA should never drift away from what made the series; Single Player.

Why Rockstar, why? WHY?

• saintsrow, Tilemaxx, Teo265 and 3 others like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:59 AM

Its a shame every time theres a online update something bad happens with my SP save

Yeah. Everytime there's an update, I lose most of my ammo (SP), there are more glitches in SP, and cars in my safehouse garage disappear. This is ridiculous. 

• Teo265, sqre, burnzy187 and 3 others like this

Thus
  • Thus

Car Lover

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:00 AM

Rockstar has given us more free content than almost any other big console blockbuster

the sense of entitlement over expansion content for GTA V such as heists and new SP or MP missions is something I don't understand.

Sure its not mandatory but they still price a training jet at $1,150,000.

Then the coquette was cool and sh*t but it didnt do anything special, like turn from a car to a jet...

OT: The updates are "free" but they expect cash from cash cards. Soooo what turns from $0.00 goes to $19.99 for just one f*cking jet. And you cant even farm rooftop rumble anymore...

Sorry for ranting.

• matajuegos01 likes this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:02 AM

Its a shame every time theres a online update something bad happens with my SP save

Yeah. Everytime there's an update, I lose most of my ammo (SP), there are more glitches in SP, and cars in my safehouse garage disappear. This is ridiculous. 

really? I'm on my 8th game now and I've never ever had a haicut, weapon, or ammo disappear

and never had a car disappear from a new patch either

and i still check all 8 different games regularly and they're all fine

very very rarely I may have a car not save in a garage but that happens like honnestly less than 1% of the time, maybe once every 2-3 months when playing every day

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

I might have laughed, if I had remembered how. Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

All guys are enjoying new toys, while I have no updates or patches.
  • sqre and Militia like this

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

Besides cash cards, I don't really see any corporate greed. 

Spoiler

And they really haven't forced SP fans to do anything, since you can still do whatever in SP, just like in every GTA.

OneManCrimeWave
  • OneManCrimeWave

The One Lovable yet Deadly Human Criminal Conspiracy

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

Besides cash cards, I don't really see any corporate greed. 

Spoiler

And they really haven't forced SP fans to do anything, since you can still do whatever in SP, just like in every GTA.

That's what I don't get. I hate the idea of cash cards too, but why do people b*tch about them so much? Those who bought them only have themselves to blame for buying them.

• NYC PATROL, adictoGTA, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:21 AM

Then the coquette was cool and sh*t but it didnt do anything special, like turn from a car to a jet...

OT: The updates are "free" but they expect cash from cash cards. Soooo what turns from $0.00 goes to $19.99 for just one f*cking jet. And you cant even farm rooftop rumble anymore...

Sorry for ranting.

yeah i agree about the MP car pricing and cash cards is obviously designed to encourage cash cards for casual players

but i dunno actually 'owning' expensive cars is pretty far down the priority list of things in GTAO i think

it's certainly not on the level of pay-to-play mobile games. those games are a lot more fun when you pay, I would guess. GTAO is already lots of fun without buying cash cards. all i do is steal random cars or drive a Sandking and it's plenty fun ;p

anyhow, i do agree it encourages RMT (Real money Transactions)

but I don't think it comes even close to 'forcing' it like the worst RMT pay-to-play/win games around

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:37 AM

Rockstar has given us more free content than almost any other big console blockbuster if this were ANY GAME AT ALL from EA, Activision, Ubisoft we'd have been paying $1 per car, $5-10 per update, $1 per new gun, etc. the sense of entitlement over expansion content for GTA V such as heists and new SP or MP missions is something I don't understand.

I feel like punching people in the face for repeating same comparisons, time and again.
"Look! GTA:O is giving you free, so R* is better than EA, so we should simply accept all the heap of crap they throw at us without complaining"
I don't gve a f*ck what EA or Activision does to their customers. That said, when it comes to giving away some good updates for single-player, Rockstar is getting as worst as EA or Activision.
If you're all crazy and sh*t about playing the game ONLINE, that needs an extensive online checks, and connect to the social club showing off your nice grinding report card about the progress everytime servers are up, then that's fine.
But, why keep delaying the single-player content?
Expansion packs are the life, and only way that would extend our experience offline.
Don't you get this simple fact in your thick skill?
Something we are waiting patiently, since long to get some positive response from Rockstar.
But, NO!
They are busy to try and release new things for online players.
I'm not bothered nor care about online, but it's absolutely ridiculous that good single-player gaming that was once the centre of attention, is now slowly getting ignored for piece of sh*t called online.
Rockstar is giving away all those free goodies, not because they care about you, but because they want more moolah out of every single player who couldn't resist the appeal of playing online, thus they're going to launch a strong attack of heists and other big updates to cash in on the hunger for more online crap. You can get fooled as much you want them to make, but give me the single-player content, and I'm done.
  • Miamivicecity, Teo265, sqre and 4 others like this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:49 AM Edited by S1N0D3UTSCHT3K, 01 September 2014 - 03:50 AM.

Rockstar has given us more free content than almost any other big console blockbuster if this were ANY GAME AT ALL from EA, Activision, Ubisoft we'd have been paying $1 per car, $5-10 per update, $1 per new gun, etc. the sense of entitlement over expansion content for GTA V such as heists and new SP or MP missions is something I don't understand.

I feel like punching people in the face for repeating same comparisons, time and again.
"Look! GTA:O is giving you free, so R* is better than EA, so we should simply accept all the heap of crap they throw at us without complaining"
I don't gve a f*ck what EA or Activision does to their customers. That said, when it comes to giving away some good updates for single-player, Rockstar is getting as worst as EA or Activision.
If you're all crazy and sh*t about playing the game ONLINE, that needs an extensive online checks, and connect to the social club showing off your nice grinding report card about the progress everytime servers are up, then that's fine.
Expansion packs are the life, and only way that would extend our experience offline.
Something we are waiting patiently, since long to get some positive response from Rockstar.
But, NO!
I'm not bothered nor care about online, but it's absolutely ridiculous that good single-player gaming that was once the centre of attention, is now slowly getting ignored for piece of sh*t called online.
Rockstar is giving away all those free goodies, not because they care about you, but because they want more moolah out of every single player who couldn't resist the appeal of playing online, thus they're going to launch a strong attack of heists and other big updates to cash in on the hunger for more online crap. You can get fooled as much you want them to make, but give me the single-player content, and I'm done.

that's a nice post and all but...

i basically only play the SP mode of GTA V

every day

so.... yeah... 

hey I wish we had more SP content too trust me... I probably would use it more than almost anyone else, I doubt there are too many more people that have played more SP with higher amounts of OCD and no-life than me lol

but let's be fair, choosing to focus on MP content over SP content is matter of preference, not a matter of greed. they could just as easily be releasing just SP content for $5 a pop if this was just about greed. instead we get free SP guns and cars. these are matters of design documents, mission statements... not income statements and cash flow statements

Thus
  • Thus

Car Lover

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:51 AM Edited by Thus, 01 September 2014 - 03:53 AM.

Sorry for ranting.

yeah i agree about the MP car pricing and cash cards is obviously designed to encourage cash cards for casual players

but i dunno actually 'owning' expensive cars is pretty far down the priority list of things in GTAO i think

it's certainly not on the level of pay-to-play mobile games. those games are a lot more fun when you pay, I would guess. GTAO is already lots of fun without buying cash cards. all i do is steal random cars or drive a Sandking and it's plenty fun ;p

anyhow, i do agree it encourages RMT (Real money Transactions)

but I don't think it comes even close to 'forcing' it like the worst RMT pay-to-play/win games around

I agree but i kinda wanted gta v to be like a saints row while still attaining the gta title. Like I said with the coquette classic transforming from a car to a jet, THAT I could see costing the R$600,000. hell even a futo transformer would suffice. but to have the same boring stuff like a plain old car isnt doing it for me. I would totally play the game for HOURS ON TOP OF HOURS if a car could transform into a jet instead of a boring original car. Or heists. Or Mansions.

• A.O.D.88 likes this

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:12 AM

i have no idea why we're talking about a car transforming into a jet in GTA but it made me genuinely LOL

• Thus likes this

minifat
  • minifat

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

It was a free adition in the game, and it's not like you can't blame R* for making money off it, as Blizzard, Activistion, EA, and others have offered micro-transactions in online games and have made a lot of money off it, sh*t, R* has already sold a total of $200 billion in Shark Cards right now, and as R* does heavily enforce it, it was originally not supposed to be in the game at all, as in the online trailer lots of stuff were cheaper and had similar prices.

TL;DR? R* was influenced from other companies and their sucess with micro-transactions that they implemented the "greed" in online.

200 billion. That would be every GTA 5 owner spending over $6,000 dollars. 200 million? That's every GTA 5 owner spending $6 which is much more likely.

dillono
  • dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

It was a free adition in the game, and it's not like you can't blame R* for making money off it, as Blizzard, Activistion, EA, and others have offered micro-transactions in online games and have made a lot of money off it, sh*t, R* has already sold a total of $200 billion in Shark Cards right now, and as R* does heavily enforce it, it was originally not supposed to be in the game at all, as in the online trailer lots of stuff were cheaper and had similar prices.

200 billion. That would be every GTA 5 owner spending over $6,000 dollars. 200 million? That's every GTA 5 owner spending $6 which is much more likely.

Oops, that was a typo. It's fixed now.

SuburbansWorst
  • SuburbansWorst

Liberal Black Activist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

Sorry for ranting.

is it really that hard to play a few hours of missions and gain a couple hundred thousand, I bought the jet by grinding not buying cash cards. Just because you're too lazy to work for a vehicle doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. If you're active in the game you can work up and buy anything you want, if all you do is just roam around in freeroam of course you'll earn less. Do Missions, Races, and Deathmatches and work your way to the prize. Nobody is making you pay 20 dollars for a digital airplane.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:15 AM

But, NO!

I honestly don't why some people treat R* like they're saints for these "free" updates anyway. Polyphony have been adding cars/game modes to GT6 since its release for free and over the years with various games I remember getting things for free too. R* aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

• sqre, GroundZero, adictoGTA and 4 others like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

It's an amazing change all right.  When GTA IV, people were complaining that the DLC was corporate greed, cutting content to sell back to the customer later on; now not releasing DLC is coporate greed too!

GTA Online is not stopping SP DLC from being released.  It's the SP DLC itself, plus the new gen/pc version.  GTA Online is being supported by a separate team.

VolkXue
  • VolkXue

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:56 AM Edited by VolkXue, 01 September 2014 - 06:00 AM.

"sense of entitlement" and "self entitled"  are amazingly trendy things to say these days.  Ironic really because it shows that American corporate greed has won.  The American consumer officially has been brain washed into thinking they deserve less.  Kinda miss the days where the working class stood up for itself. 

If this like the other threads on the subject you will see the entitlement claim come up a good 20 times.  Only place you will hear someone claiming others have a sense of entitlement more is a right wing radio talk show. 

• Ben73 and A.O.D.88 like this

Zslash
  • Zslash

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:16 AM Edited by Zslash, 01 September 2014 - 06:17 AM.

answer to first post. i think that will change in the pc version and i think thats why they waited so long to give it out on pc and nextgen. milk every penny out from console kids THEN give to to pc so the big guys can play (mod) with it :D

because once we get some good pc mods going then nobody will play gta:O  :D

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

gta should be this.

99% single player

1% multyplayer

the next little kid who wants to play gta should get smacked lol

usmk.gif

• beretta-gt88, adictoGTA and LordZekrom like this

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:46 AM Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc, 01 September 2014 - 10:28 AM.

I don't know, R* still seems different for me from other studios - as they still do certain things others don't care about. Money is a necessary evil, however.

I believe GTA Online is R* equivalent of the song Tubthumping by Chumbawamba - Chumbawamba was a long-established anarchist punk band, but one time in 1997 they intentionally sold themselves out with an album vastly different from anything else they've ever done just to get an influx of funds, and then continued as usual.

And I seriously feel that GTA V had a very troubled development. Just look at all the cut content in that game, more than ever before - there must be a bigger reason than being greedy dicks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users