HD era protagonists feel weaker

29 replies to this topic
Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

What I miss from previous GTA's, is that you can no longer stand in the open to shoot at enemies. In III, VC SA, you could easily stand in the open (you do it in pretty much every mission) and mow down emenies with Minigun/M4, because there's no cover system. In IV and V, there's a cover system, and if you stand out in the open you wil get killed fast, because the protoganists are weaker, and R* maybe did it to stimulate the use of the cover system.

It annoys me, because if you can't find a good cover spot quick enough, you're f*cked. This is especially true for Online.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

So now we're complaining about not having huge amounts of health? That standing out in the open gets you killed too quickly?

Is that the cool thing to do now?

• Reconified likes this

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:08 PM Edited by DutchGangsta, 31 August 2014 - 08:08 PM.

No, but it's annoying. 1 second out and you're killed. They just FORCE you to use cover, and it's cooler and more fun to run up to them and spray them dead like a boss. 

In the PS2 Era you weren't dead within 1 second.

Reconified
  • Reconified

Model Citizen, Zero Discipline.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

I'd much rather be sat behind a wall taking accurate potshots than walking in like a moron and just happening to kill 25 people with a TEC-9 blindfiring.

• Blingy, burnzy187, Lucario 2.0 and 4 others like this

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

^ Yes, but what if there are no good cover options? Then you're f*cked. They didn't need to make the old strategy so useless.

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

The protagonists aren't weaker, HD era enemies are just not as dumb as 3D era enemies. They're more challenging and I like that.

• theRema, Drunken Cowboy and Cake* Games like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

No, but it's annoying. 1 second out and you're killed. They just FORCE you to use cover, and it's cooler and more fun to run up to them and spray them dead like a boss. 

In the PS2 Era you weren't dead within 1 second.

You need practice than. There are plenty of times where I've ran around in the open with a machine gun, gunning down enemies. It's even easier with the run and gun system. You just need to land your shots and keep moving.

• B Dawg and Trevorphilipjfry like this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

I played the gamo almost completely without the cover system, except when it was forced.

Means i aim and walk around corners to shoot like you know it from older games.

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I think, the accuracy of enemies and especially the police is too high, but other than that, its fine IMO, especially as you can hold every weapon in game, and you can do what you described OP in earlier games with a T's RAGE mode, or use cheats.
  • Luuk' and matajuegos01 like this

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm not a cheater, so then I will try T's Rage Mode more or, get some more skill in it. Thanks.

• Militia likes this

Max Payne
  • Max Payne

There are things in life you cannot choose: how you feel.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Its not the characters, its the accuracy of the police and the dumb health regeneration.
  • Drunken Cowboy, Luuk', Militia and 3 others like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Also, it's good to keep in mind that like in Max Payne 3 - the AI reacts to bullets flying by their head, or landing near them. It freaks them the f*ck out. Running and gunning can be very helpful, and spooking the enemies with suppressive fire helps out a lot when you're in the open and trying to find cover.

• Luuk' and matajuegos01 like this

El Tigre chino
  • El Tigre chino

im alive somewhat

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Also, it's good to keep in mind that like in Max Payne 3 - the AI reacts to bullets flying by their head, or landing near them. It freaks them the f*ck out. Running and gunning can be very helpful, and spooking the enemies with suppressive fire helps out a lot when you're in the open and trying to find cover.

in gta 5 enemies react to only when another enemy is killed.

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

And stick figures feel stronger than any protagonists.
It's because better physics and game development allows better expression of human emotions.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Checklister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

Another crybaby thread..... Next week, we will get an entire thread dedicated to hating the cover system. 

• Drunken Cowboy and No witnesses like this

Deafiroth
  • Deafiroth

Rat

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

Another crybaby thread..... Next week, we will get an entire thread dedicated to hating the cover system. 

Theres big faults in that too !

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Before the devs started taking our awesome cars away!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Pretty sure you can run n gun in the open in IV. Hell that's what I always loved, running from one island to another over the bridges with cops on my ass.

• Donut and Max Payne like this

The Caped Crusader
  • The Caped Crusader

Goddamn Batman

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Niko isn't weak,just the games got more realistic.

• No witnesses likes this

Max Payne
  • Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

^ The trio of V are weak.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

OP probably only played SA; where CJ had huge amounts of health and the weapons were somewhat weak.

In III and VC, if you were out in the open near a group of enemies - maybe like 3 to 5 - they would easily mow you down.

• No witnesses likes this

J-B
  • J-B

One Man Crusader

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

OP probably only played SA; where CJ had huge amounts of health and the weapons were somewhat weak.

In III and VC, if you were out in the open near a group of enemies - maybe like 3 to 5 - they would easily mow you down.

Even early on in SA you can get layed out pretty fast, before you get those health boosts.

Niko/Johnny/Luis were the strongest, the amount of overall damage they could absorb surpasses all other protags.

GTA has never really been run and gun though, the shooting mechanics have never supported it. You've always had to be cautious,  whether it's corner hugging or sitting behind cover.

Saint's Row and Max Payne are true run and gun games.

• Max Payne likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

I think Max Payne 3 really nailed this.

While MP3's frantic shooting and diving is its series staple and I can understand why it's not in GTA, it really did feel that combination of realistic cover shooting and killing machine badassery.

Hide behind cover taking blind and quick pistol shots. When two or three enemies are left, hurl your body at them spamming a machine pistol, tanking some bullets with your trusty painkillers at the ready.

• Max Payne likes this

Max Payne
  • Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

While MP3's frantic shooting and diving is its series staple and I can understand why it's not in GTA, it really did feel that combination of realistic cover shooting and killing machine badassery.
Hide behind cover taking blind and quick pistol shots. When two or three enemies are left, hurl your body at them spamming a machine pistol, tanking some bullets with your trusty painkillers at the ready.

Hell yeah, if only V didn't have health regeneration but an inventory system, with health packs.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hell yeah, if only V didn't have health regeneration but an inventory system, with health packs.

Chances are something like that will be modded into the PC version.

1. Remove health regeneration.

2. Enable function where snacks from stores are stored in your inventory like in GTAO.

@J-B

Yeah. I hate it when people try knocking down Max Payne 3 or the HD Era GTA games saying that the cover system ruins it. Screw those people, cover systems are just an improved version of you standing behind a wall, or crouching behind something. Just because it's an actual mechanic doesn't make it bad. People were using cover back in the days before there was a "stick to cover button."

• Max Payne and No witnesses like this

Max Payne
  • Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

Chances are something like that will be modded into the PC version.

1. Remove health regeneration.
2. Enable function where snacks from stores are stored in your inventory like in GTAO.

@J-B
Yeah. I hate it when people try knocking down Max Payne 3 or the HD Era GTA games saying that the cover system ruins it. Screw those people, cover systems are just an improved version of you standing behind a wall, or crouching behind something. Just because it's an actual mechanic doesn't make it bad. People were using cover back in the days before there was a "stick to cover button."
I didn't use the cover system in MP3, but I did try it out and it was smooth as oil. Loved the cover system.

fefenc
  • fefenc

Blue Dante

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

There's something bothering me for a long time, is Max Paine universe the same as GTA?

Max Payne
  • Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

There's something bothering me for a long time, is Max Paine universe the same as GTA?

No as Max Payne mentions real life locations, Hoboken, Sao Paulo, and New York.

No witnesses
  • No witnesses

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:24 AM Edited by No witnesses, 03 September 2014 - 02:29 AM.

Sorry for off topic but real life locations like Miami (confirmed) and likely New York do exist in the GTA Universe.

Miami is mentioned in GTAIII and appears in a hidden-ish billboard in Vice City. As for New York, it's mentioned in the lyrics of a song in Vice City (okay, this isn't enough proof at all), and the history TV show in GTAIV seems to hint that New York exists although it doesn't directly mention it. Other real life locations are referenced in GTA games as well.

But I don't remember any references to Max Payne in GTA and Idk any references to GTA in Max Payne though I haven't played the 3rd. Either way, the GTA eras/universes make everything needlessly complicated :/

Max Payne
  • Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

Sorry for off topic but real life locations like Miami (confirmed) and most likely New York do exist in the GTA Universe.

Oh! Well I don't know what to say.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

You also need to consider that Max Payne is a completely different franchise that was created by a completely different developer. Max Payne takes place in a sort of "alternate reality." It takes place in the real world, ours, except in this one the events of Max Payne 1, 2, and 3 occur.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users