Photo

California passed 'yes-means-yes' bill

132 replies to this topic
TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:45 AM Edited by TheFrank, 05 September 2014 - 12:46 AM.

I just want to mention and point out that Arabs are considered white.

Blacks were considered farm equipment, and aboriginals fauna. What's your point?

Melchior
  • Melchior

I love only me, I've got the answers to everything

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

Islam throughout history has done more to extinguish the development of civilisation than it has to light or build it. 

He's not talking about the religion Islam, he's talking about Islamic civilisation/culture. Islam is more or less what bound disparate ethnic groups into a single civilisation. Saying that Islam "extinguish[ed] the development of civilisation" is like saying the same of Confucianism or Western Liberalism. 

It's few achievements also pale in insignificance compared to those of the Western world. 

All of those achievements are due to the advances in mathematics made by Islamic civilisation, otherwise the Romans or the Chinese would have had an industrial revolution thousands of years ago.

Nobody's doubting that modern, Western civilisation is the most advanced in history, but we don't own those achievements. There's a chain of causality. It's not a case of "better societies get more sh*t done", more a case of: Mediterranean civilisation pops up -> Europe united under Christianity -> Muslims sort maths and science -> Chinese sort guns -> Europeans use guns to expand their territory into the increasingly vacant New World (smallpox etc.) -> social and political conditions created by empire facilitate the utilisation of Islamic and Classical knowledge to begin and maintain large scale manufacturing.

Feel free to stop using our technological advancements and go live in the woods away from straight white men's oppression.

What, a white guy invents the steam engine so white males deserve a special position in society? What are you trying to say?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Topical:

UN study indicates slightly more than one in 10 girls raped or sexually abused by age 20.

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

What in the hell happened to this board? Or common sense?

If you don't think being a straight white man affords you social advantages then you're in denial.

Feel free to stop using our technological advancements and go live in the woods away from straight white men's oppression.

What does that have to do with anything? If you're a straight white male, you don't have to worry about the police profiling you, being stereotyped, people constantly coming up to you saying racist jokes that are apparently ok since it's "funny" (even though I tell people to stop, it still happens), constant fear of being raped (unless you're in jail), sexual harassment, fear of being ostracized by your family for your sexual preference, etc.

We're all human, no one (yes, not even the ever so evil straight white man) should have to deal with that. 

Spoiler

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

If you don't think being a straight white man affords you social advantages then you're in denial.

I'm pretty sure Max is a straight white male though. 

I certainly am, but even if I wasn't, why would an awareness of the privileges of race, orientation and gender mean I should forego any thing which is a product of a straight white man? 'Our technological advancements'? What does the colour of your skin have to do with your ownership of say, the lightbulb? Do you have more right to artificial lighting than a Chinese guy because someone who happened to look like you invented it?

Your post suggests that you believe in Victorian ideas of the Great White father, lovingly yet forcefully guiding savages and women, with their tiny brains, towards civilisation. It's laughable.
  • Melchior likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm pretty sure Max is a straight white male though. 
I certainly am, but even if I wasn't, why would an awareness of the privileges of race, orientation and gender mean I should forego any thing which is a product of a straight white man? 'Our technological advancements'? What does the colour of your skin have to do with your ownership of say, the lightbulb? Do you have more right to artificial lighting than a Chinese guy because someone who happened to look like you invented it?

Your post suggests that you believe in Victorian ideas of the Great White father, lovingly yet forcefully guiding savages and women, with their tiny brains, towards civilisation. It's laughable.

Quite.

TheFrank, what have you done which is so more worthy that you are entitled to speak of the technological developments of the west as "ours"? You have played absolutely no part in it as far as I can see, and the mere suggestion that you can claim to solely by sharing some very disant common ancestry with then is utterly reprehensible, as is your apparent ignorance at how idiotic a notion this is.

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:48 AM

What does that have to do with anything? If you're a straight white male, you don't have to worry about the police profiling you, being stereotyped, people constantly coming up to you saying racist jokes that are apparently ok since it's "funny" (even though I tell people to stop, it still happens), constant fear of being raped (unless you're in jail), sexual harassment, fear of being ostracized by your family for your sexual preference, etc.

Because I've never been stopped for driving a car that was too nice, never had to fight my way in and out of school for being one of the few white students, no racist jokes about germans nor russians, no white kid ever molested by a priest, a teacher, or coach, and no white kid kicked out for being gay. I'm sure my mother's family had a swell time in East-Germany as did my father's family in the Soviet Union. Boy, they sure were glad to have white priviledge when they were dragged out of their place at night.

I certainly am, but even if I wasn't, why would an awareness of the privileges of race, orientation and gender mean I should forego any thing which is a product of a straight white man?

I'm getting tired of apologists painting the white man as some boogieman out to keep every person of color, women, or gays, down. We don't have a meeting every week to find new and exciting ways to screw over x or z. The mere act of being a straight white male is almost criminal to some, not to forget about buzzwords like, ableism, healthism, thin priviledge, cis-gendered and whatever other crap SJWs like to think of. Look at me, I'm a straight white man who can run up a flight of stairs without wheezing and coughing up blood, blame me for all the ills in the world.

TheFrank, what have you done which is so more worthy that you are entitled to speak of the technological developments of the west as "ours"? You have played absolutely no part in it as far as I can see, and the mere suggestion that you can claim to solely by sharing some very disant common ancestry with then is utterly reprehensible, as is your apparent ignorance at how idiotic a notion this is.

Yet I have to share the blame for something only 5% of the white american population did 200 years ago. You know me so well, I, the idiot who never accomplished a damn thing in his sad pathetic life.

Sexual assaults happen, there is no denying it but, when I was younger girls always kept an eye on their friends, make sure she didn't drink too much or had something slipped in their drink. Why can't today's girls use the buddy system like they did? Nobody ever got raped at our parties. A guy did try to slip something and it got taken care of. Today's meaning of rape is getting diluted by rabid neo-feminists, a guy you do not find attractive asking you out or looking at you isn't rape. If a guy you brought home and had sex with couldn't ring your bell isn't rape. A guy disagreeing with you isn't rape. If you truly get raped, you report it to the police,  you don't cryptically blog about it on Tumblr.

• stu likes this

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

White privilege is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. I'm not saying that if you're white you don't have certain advantages, but so f*cking what. Am I supposed to feel guilty or something? Are Japanese people supposed to feel bad because they have advantages in Japan and their society is geared towards favouring Japanese people? In Europe at least, the dominant and indigenous ethnic populations are white. Are you telling me that any immigrant that comes along from a poorer country is supposed to automatically, instantly and magically have all the advantages of the people already living there? Or if they have children that they should have some instant automatic right? 

Zook
  • Zook

Banter

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

White privilege is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. I'm not saying that if you're white you don't have certain advantages, but so f*cking what. Am I supposed to feel guilty or something? Are Japanese people supposed to feel bad because they have advantages in Japan and their society is geared towards favouring Japanese people? In Europe at least, the dominant and indigenous ethnic populations are white. Are you telling me that any immigrant that comes along from a poorer country is supposed to automatically, instantly and magically have all the advantages of the people already living there? Or if they have children that they should have some instant automatic right? 

It's not just about immigrants though; White males do enjoy certain privileges over indigenous minorities.

I don't know if you're saying that the children of the immigrants shouldn't have some instant automatic right or that the immigrants who have children should gain them if its the former ignore the rest of my post. If an immigrant has a child then it should be expected that that child would enjoy all the advantages that natives of the country as they would be native British citizen just like you. Are you saying that it would be fine for a child with African parents to be disadvantaged just because his parents are foreign? 

• NAME CHANGE LOL likes this

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:42 AM

I wasn't actually born in Britain, I was born in Holland but moved here to the UK with my parents when I was 7 and I'm ethnically English because my parents are both ethnically English, and they were both born in the UK. 

Anyways my point is that yes, just because you are born somewhere and are a citizen of that place, it shouldn't necessarily automatically entitle you to the exact same rights and experiences as the actual indigenous/national people who have been living there for generations and generations. I mean I was born in the Netherlands, but that doesn't make me Dutch, it doesn't matter how long I would have lived there for I would have never have been Dutch. I would have an English name (unless I changed it) and English blood. I would still be an Englishman.

Now some people might like to strip away all ethnic identity and culture from countries, and claim that all people are equally tied to a country and equally connected as long as they are born there or have lived there for a certain amount of time. I don't see it that way at all, because it simply isn't true. So I don't understand why if they're not as connected to a country, that they should enjoy the exact same rights and privileges, and think they have the right to complain when don't have those.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:43 AM Edited by Max, 07 September 2014 - 03:44 AM.

Call me an idiot, but I'd like to live in a society where people are regarded as people, not as a hodge-podge of historic ethnic and cultural identities which have no bearing on their current situation.

We live in a relatively open society, and there are some draw backs. But I'd rather we were on the path we are now to the point where I'm financially crippled than exist in a society in which the rights of a child to healthcare, employment and education were predetermined by some irrelevant information about the colour of their skin or their cultural heritage.
  • Twang., Melchior and Eris like this

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

So if a woman comes to a country and after 6 months or a year or 2 years, she gives birth, even though she's contributed nothing at all to that country, she should be able to start claiming benefits for herself and her child? I'm not saying don't give them access to the very basics like rudimentary health care, but what right does she have to expect to have access to everything straight away or for her child to? A country should not have to act as a charity to it's own people, let alone foreign people it has 0 responsibility towards.

How about the subject of citizenship and it's revocation, should everyone also have the same rights there? I'd argue that someone who is a naturalised citizen, or someone who is a 2nd generation immigrant, should be able to have their citizenship revoked and be permanently deported if they for example attempt to carry out an act of terror or incite terror against the nation they live in. However I wouldn't argue that the same should be the case for someone who is an indigenous and ethnic national of the country.

People also talk about privileges or white privilege in particular. Things like the privilege of never feeling like you don't belong in the country where you live. If I go to Korea or Nigeria am I to expect to feel like I fit in 100%? Or even to France or Norway or even f*cking Scotland. I'm probably going to experience some form of "not feeling 100% acceptance". I don't expect any of them to feel guilty over it though. 

mr toasterbutt
  • mr toasterbutt

The Howling Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:03 PM Edited by mr toasterbutt, 07 September 2014 - 10:04 PM.

So according to this new bill, if two drunk-out-of-their-mind people have sex with each other, they are both guilty of rape and, technically, can be tried and sent to prison? Fantastic. I'm not sure these people actually thinking these thing through before voting on them.

What I can't understand and need someone to help explain is the floating idea that drunk-of-their-mind folk supposedly can't fully consent to sex while under the influence, yet these same drunk folk are fully responsible for driving drunk.

Are you responsible for your behavior under brain altering cheminals, or not?

How can you even say mentally unstable people with real chemical impalances can consent to anything?

Make sure they've taken their medication? wtf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users