Books/Novels [Discussion]

127 replies to this topic
FrikkenZz
  • FrikkenZz

Deputy City Manager - PBMO

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • Norway

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

Maybe take a look through these links and see if anything rings a bell?
https://en.wikipedia...thriller_novels
https://en.wikipedia...thriller_novels
https://en.wikipedia...egory:Ryanverse

You know what!? This may have actually helped me find it. I didnt fint it in here but it gave me some ideas for a new search on google. I dont know if it is the right one, I need to read it first, but it may very well be it. Thank you soooo much!! :D

The book I found (and not 100% sure on) is called "Shall we tell the President?" By Jeffery Archer.
Here is a link:
http://jeffreyarcher...-the-president/

This writer also got a book that is about Iraq vs USA wich also fits my memory, "Honour among thieves"
http://jeffreyarcher...-among-thieves/

I just got very excited and will definitely try to read this/these asap (just need to get my hands on a copy). Thank you again! :)
  • Masketta Man likes this

reiniat
  • reiniat

May science shine your way.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:38 PM Edited by reiniat, 11 September 2015 - 11:11 PM.

So, i was without internet for almost a month and instead of going out i did what any rational person would; i read a lot. And i mean A LOT.

And still i couldnt find The Wind Trough The Keyhole :( im probably going to end up just buying it as an E-book.

On the other hand i read The Martian, Ridley Scott is making a movie about it and well, i actually stopped 3/4 in because the writer isnt that good at suspense (still, the parts written like a log are spot on) so im gonna watch the movie. (PLZ NO PROMETHEUS AGAIN SCOTT!!!).

I also got my hands on Edgar Allan Poe's selected works, which i bought on Amazon, its an amazing old tome with all his short stories (which defeats the point of "selected" works). Most of my friends are going trough english classes right now so i been quoting the book non stop even tough no one gets a goddamn thing. :D

Also some of those short stories reminded me of that chapter in The Martian Chronicles called Usher 2, so i went and read The Martian Chronicles again (now i get all the references, one of my favorite books ever is now betterer), i also realized i hadnt read The Illustrated Man so im looking for it atm.

And thats not even half of what i read.

Ottae, Les Misérables is definitely a masterpiece! The Hunchback of Notre-Dame is also worth checking out if you want more Hugo after you're done with Les Mis.

I'm going through Hemingway's journalism at the moment—it's a volume titled "By-Line: Selected Journalism" in case any fellow Hemingway fans are interested—and revisiting Shakespeare since I got a hold of a 'Complete Works'.

I went trough the unabridged Les Misérables all they way up to the moment when the dude that is not a dude takes a shot for Marius and then lost interest on it, i felt like they couldnt stomp my feels anymore... and at the moment i was reading Metro 2034 (which has some striking similarities to it), and i was tired of love stories :p. Then i watched the movie so i dont know if i should go back and finish it.

I would love to read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame but i have the feeling it would be just more low blows to the feels .__.

Any of you guys could recommend me a novel that is about action, adventure, inspirational, life lessons etc. No fictional themes, No biased views  etc. Yes I know its a bit generic and all. But for once i want to sit down and read something i could really get into. Sometimes i get into a book, turns out i don't like it, so i force myself to finish it. Im not the type of person just to leave a book i didn't finish. So i want to make it right. Thx.

So you want a bland book with action adventure... but not fictional and no biased views... Just so you can finish a book?

I spend 10 mins thinking on one and i cant.... The Hunter from Julia Leigh maybe?

Or maybe Alive from Piers Paul Read but i never read it meself, or The Perfect Storm, or The Travels Of Marco Polo.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:50 AM Edited by KilnerLUFC, 06 November 2015 - 12:51 AM.

Good to see some fans of Dean Koontz (on the first page of the topic, haven't scrolled through the rest) in this topic. It's thanks to him that I got in to reading in the first place. Don't get me wrong, read a whole lot since I, well, could read, but credit due for getting me properly in to it. Remember my mum lent me a copy of Door To December, and I couldn't stop reading it, and to this day it's probably my most read book. Can't really say any other author makes me connect with a character in the same way Koontz does, no matter how small or big a part they play in the story.
Only real gripe is that he seems to have lost his touch in the recent years. No idea what it is, but his latest that I've read just don't seem to grip me in the same way as his earlier work. Breathless for example just seemed a tad bit boring, just seemed to be dragging out something that wasn't there in the first place.

Need to get the Odd series up to date at some point, love the series, of what I've read anyway.

But now, currently working my way through the first novel in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Anyone else read the series? Seems to be a bit slow at the moment, just wondering if anyone else felt the same?
  • Surak likes this

Surak
  • Surak

I'm an Alien, too.

• Mars
  • Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:05 AM

Yes! Dark Tower is awesome, just push through the Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three really makes up for it.

The man in black fled into the desert and the Gunslinger followed.
  • Zook and KilnerLUFC like this

Crossed
  • Crossed

A man in motion feels no emotion

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:38 PM Edited by Macsnowblind707, 06 November 2015 - 02:49 PM.

X2

The dark tower is like my religion.

Really shows kings evolution as a writer. From his more rambling younger druggies days, to him having a family and cleaning up, and before and after that dick hit him with a van. His writing style changed a lot.

Under the dome was tits as well. The stand is epic as well. Think zombie apocalypse with out zombies. You want kings version of zombies? Cell.

So many great reads spent with or without a lit doobie hanging out my mouth while laying around in some park somewhere in the USA.
  • KilnerLUFC and Surak like this

Surak
  • Surak

I'm an Alien, too.

• Mars
  • Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:52 PM Edited by AlienTwo, 06 November 2015 - 02:53 PM.

I recently discovered this Dark Tower podcast, give it a listen... the first few short episodes are a bit rough but it gets pretty interesting;

https://www.facebook...537473/?fref=ts

EDIT:  For the non-FBers, it's called the Ka-Tet Cast, I know it's in the Apple App Store as well as accessible via Stitcher. 

• KilnerLUFC likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

Well, safe to say I'm glad I adhered to what you said and stuck with the book, pretty much picked up interest wise towards the middle of it, and couldn't put it down till I finished. The opening of the second one has already peaked my interest, with the Gunslingers loss of his hand already. Just a shame that work means I'm always too tired to concentrate on reading recently though...

• Surak and Crossed like this

Surak
  • Surak

I'm an Alien, too.

• Mars
  • Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

Well, safe to say I'm glad I adhered to what you said and stuck with the book, pretty much picked up interest wise towards the middle of it, and couldn't put it down till I finished. The opening of the second one has already peaked my interest, with the Gunslingers loss of his hand already. Just a shame that work means I'm always too tired to concentrate on reading recently though...

Heck yeah, the intro is a bit tough (the Gunslinger) but the best books are still ahead, I'm jealous.  I remember that first time... I need a new book series to discover.  Right now I'm re-reading Shogun, because it's been probably 20 years, but it's not the same as discovering something new.

Damn you GRRM... I was hoping I could discover the Winds of Winter soon.

• KilnerLUFC likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users