Photo

Books/Novels [Discussion]

127 replies to this topic
JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

Hello everyone. I'm here to hopefully get some like minded readers out there to add some more to this thread. Basically with my new job I've been reading an awful lot lately and I was wondering if anyone else was interested in such a thing.

While I've read some Stephen King and like his works, my favorite author has to be Dean Koontz. His suspense is second to none, which isn't anymore visible then his '87(I believe) book 'The Watcher'.

If you want to feel, I mean really feel, id suggest reading 'From the Corner of his Eye' also by Dean Koontz. That book was read in two maybe three nights. Literally could not put it down.

Now I could keep naming off books I've read until the cows come home but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is for others like myself who enjoy reading and giving people insights or steer them away from other books.

Well that's it for now.

• Graven, Tyler, GerryM and 5 others like this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

I've been trying to get back into reading recently too. Just finished Brave New World this morning. I'd put it off for a few years after trying toward the middle of high school and getting really bored with it.

The way Huxley writes is pretty sh*t, but the ideas in the book were really interesting. I kept finding parallels to our society in the book much more often than I did in the other big dystopian that people like to talk about, and Huxley was right about so much. You have people who devote their lives to video games, or catching the next episode of game of thrones, and they become so passive that they're unable to get seriously mad about anything.

The writing isn't so bad that it's unreadable, but it did turn me off the first time, and the last couple sentences of the book were pretty silly for what had happened. If the ideas are what you're reading it for then it's easy enough to forgive.

8/10

• Graven, JOEsAGGRESSIVE and albanyave like this

JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea but thanks for the contribution. I'd lean more towards the H.G. Wells side and even Jules Verne. I'm a firm believer in reading books to be entertained and/or taken away.

I normally hate seeing a movie then reading the book but I broke my rule for 'Man-eaters of Tsavo' by John Henry Patterson.(movie Ghost and the Darkness) I guess this book sent such chills down my spine because if was completely true. That book I would have anyone take a look at. The fact that is written like a journal just adds to the allure. That I'll give an 8/10. It is very long and slow.

• Graven, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and The Harwood Bitcher like this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

I'm midway through the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, and it's awesome. Hard scifi with a Game of Thrones slant. ;)

As for nonfiction, I'm reading a few great books - The Couch of Willingness, about a therapist dealing with alcoholism, Daily Rituals, and I'm revisiting Meditations now that I'm a little older and wiser. It blew my mind when I was 20; it's doing the same now. Ha.
  • Xboxless, Graven, Tyler and 1 other like this

JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

@otter by meditations you mean the personal works of Marcus Aurelius?! That's impressive. I've always been intrigued by Roman civilization(meaning emperors and all that jazz). I simply must read this now. Thank you for the suggestion.

ot: how could I forget Thomas Harris. The bringer of Hannibal Lecter. Some of the most riveting tales you'll ever read.

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:47 PM Edited by KnobCheez, 26 August 2014 - 12:49 PM.

Good idea OP, often wondered why there was no books section on here.
Have to say though my reading has really fallen by the wayside this last year, mainly due to the days and days I've spent on GTAO...
Haven't even read the latest George Pelecanos book and I'm usually all over his books the week they're released.
Donna Tartt kept the world waiting 10 years for her latest book and even though I know I'll love it, I've not manged to drag myself away from GTAO long enough to read it yet.

Agree with Joe Chip about BNW, can be a laborious read due to Huxley's poor writing, but it contains some incredible ideas. Joe have you read Atomised by Michel Houellebecq? It carries on some of BNW themes in a more modern setting and is definitely one of my favourites.

OP if you like your Roman sh*t then I can thoroughly recommend Imperium by the other Harris (Robert). It's the first in his planned trilogy about the continual rise and fall and rise and fall and rise and...( you get the idea) of Marcus Cicero. It's a brilliant account of political manoeuvring and shenanigans that I just couldn't put down, then when I finished it, I went straight back to page 1 and started all over again!

Otter if you're reading books by the philosopher king , then you're way beyond me lol. Only reason I know of him is because of Gladiator....
  • Graven, na89340qv0n34b09q340, JOEsAGGRESSIVE and 1 other like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Soulless Minion of Orthodoxy

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • Mars
  • Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Wow, great topic OP.  You are a man after mine own tastes, as Watchers is one of my favorite books.  I am currently re-reading the A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series and have the Dark Tower books by Steven King queued up next, but I have to admit, hearing Otter mention Meditations I might want to give that another crack. I read it once in college during my Rome and the Caesars course but would love to look at it again, for fun this time.

And KnobCheez, just rest easy knowing that Marcus Aurelius wasn't really killed by an over-enthusiastic Joaquin Phoenix hug. 

• Graven, JOEsAGGRESSIVE, albanyave and 1 other like this

Noox
  • Noox

changeScriptAbility(&myScriptAbility, "improve");

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Never loved reading, I find it boring but a few years ago I read Metro 2033, nice book, you should buy it.

Reading 2034 now.

• JOEsAGGRESSIVE likes this

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

I LOVE reading! My fav author has to be Rick Riordan. If you guys havn't read Percy Jackson and The Olympians series, READ it! I hated the history subject in school, but now Rick's got me interested in Greek history/mythology!

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

This is my favorite novel of all time. Anyone else read this?

51rAjTmXUfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Thomas Harris: Red Dragon. I still remember the Manhunter movie from 1986. The book was translated to my native as late as 1995.

Of course I have Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal too, hardcovered.

Last Koontz I read was Dragon Tears, liked it too. I also read some books he made under Brian Coffey name.

King is must for any horror fan. Never been let down, it´s hard to put his book down in middle of reading.

I also read war books and stories. Sven Hassel´s complete production I have read several times. Funny stuff.

• JOEsAGGRESSIVE and AlienTwo like this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Joe have you read Atomised by Michel Houellebecq? It carries on some of BNW themes in a more modern setting and is definitely one of my favourites.

No, but it looks really interesting. I'll check it out soon. Thanks! :)

LOES
  • LOES

Kawaii!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:10 PM Edited by LOES, 26 August 2014 - 04:10 PM.

I remember crying when reading Where the red fern grows and Bridge to Terabithia

JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

most recently finished a book entitled 'Shadowkiller' by Matthew Scott Hansen. This book will not appeal to everyone but it sure as hell freaked me out. This book just shook me to my very core, had me looking over my shoulders at night that's for sure.

I mean seriously I'm not the type of guy to "scare" easily but the way this book plagued my imagination was unreal. This is definitely the work of somebody who's had an unexplained experience. Would recommend this to anyone fascinated by the whole bigfoot/sasquatch lore.(i know what you're thinking and no im not some bigfoot nutjob) Anyways, I'd also like to mention Peter Benchley. For his sea fairing novels, most recognizable being Jaws but a little less know is White Shark. My opinion the latter being the better book(of course the movie Jaws was better hands down but had too many inconsistencies I guess because of the time it was written and the knowledge that was known about white sharks back then). Its a forgotten military project from WWII(if memory serves true) that has been content to live in its underwater sanctuary until...

Wow so glad to see others taking a shine to reading for recreational purposes. Let it be known that I'm not one to shy away from Dickens but his books all have that rags to riches story(not that there's anything wrong with that mind you) that tends to get rather boring. Even though Great Expectations is one of my personal favorites, I still have yet to read David Copperfield or Oliver Twist.

Currently reading Strangers by Dean Koontz and my god its taking me forever to get through this... Maybe its how the book is laid out but its really boring( I knew I should've read this before Shadowkiller... ugh). Here's to hoping I can finish the damn thing...

• AlienTwo likes this

Moonlight Traffic
  • Moonlight Traffic

Reality is far away, Liquid love got me floatin' away

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

OP, I'm just mentioning incase you didn't see it but there's a "Writers Discussion" section of this forum which has topics to discuss books and get recommendations aswell as getting feedback on your own writing. 

JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

OP, I'm just mentioning incase you didn't see it but there's a "Writers Discussion" section of this forum which has topics to discuss books and get recommendations aswell as getting feedback on your own writing. 

I used search while in that section but I couldn't find anything. And from what I saw the writers discussion is exactly that. What's the topic your speaking of?

Payne
  • Payne

f*ck you

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

Been reading, I am a seal team six warrior. Great book, emotional near the end.

Moonlight Traffic
  • Moonlight Traffic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

I used search while in that section but I couldn't find anything. And from what I saw the writers discussion is exactly that. What's the topic your speaking of?

The Writers Room is to discuss your own writing. There's a recommendation thread here http://gtaforums.com...ommended-reads/

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:06 AM Edited by Xboxless, 27 August 2014 - 02:11 AM.

I'm midway through the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, and it's awesome. Hard scifi with a Game of Thrones slant. ;)

As for nonfiction, I'm reading a few great books - The Couch of Willingness, about a therapist dealing with alcoholism, Daily Rituals, and I'm revisiting Meditations now that I'm a little older and wiser. It blew my mind when I was 20; it's doing the same now. Ha.

I am currently, right at the end of 2312 by him. I f*cking love sci-fi!!!!

The narrative isn't the greatest, but it is a book full of absolute, mind blowing geeky riches. Some parts are just lists of I guess his notes and other bits are written from an even later time looking back at the time periods leading up to 2312 using all of their databased knowledge. Pretty cool!

Favorite line.....(slightly paraphrased) "I looked up through the clouds to see a flock of birds flying over a silvery lake." This is him describing what a character was seeing as he stood inside a hollowed out asteroid. These hollowed out asteroids are used as transportation with some of them being dual purpose farms. So if you happen to be traveling on one that grows corn, guess what.....you're a farmer...lol. He describes much more as well, so cool!

• Otter likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Have you read any Peter F Hamilton? Less technical, just as fantastic. The Void Trilogy is incredible, and despite existing in a larger narrative, totally stands alone.
  • Xboxless likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Mars
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

How about Dan Simmons and the Hyperion Cantos?  Very sci-fi with some futuristic fantasy elements thrown in, especially in the second two books, Endymion and Rise of Endymion. 

JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

The Writers Room is to discuss your own writing. There's a recommendation thread here http://gtaforums.com...ommended-reads/

my hats off to you. You found a thread from over a year ago. May I ask why is was such a concern? Is this thread really that bad? Its seem a few are enjoying it and maybe finding it a little bit helpful. But none the less thanks for your contribution.

Moonlight Traffic
  • Moonlight Traffic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

It was just a concern because there's already a section dedicated for this type of stuff, I thought you'd prefer it rather than a topic in GenChat

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Mars
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

Seeing as we have a moderator posting I here, I think it's location in the forums could be considered kosher.

albanyave
  • albanyave

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Deathlands

James Axler

This series is pretty old but I can still find some older titles in print and now on eBooks. If you like a post-apocalyptic setting, then you will love this series.  The characters are interesting and the landscape is vivid. The story takes you on a thrilling journey that criss-crosses the globe.

Although you may not be able to find the next book in the series, read any one of them and you will enjoy the story.

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

Before Kindle & iBooks came out i didn't read very much because i hated books but now i read daily.

I'm not really into fiction books i like mine to be non-fiction and most of them are true crime books and can be really fascinating and heart breaking.

I just finished reading a book called No, Daddy Don't it was about a father who tortured and killed his daughters to get back as his wife the book is written from the mothers point of view.

It takes a lot to make me tear up but that book did it.

There was another book i finish reading a few months ago titled "a Boy Called It" it's a true account of horrific abuse of a boy named David Pelzer by the hands of his mother who did horrible things to him, starving him, exposing him to mustard gas and even stabbing him at one point this is a book i'd recommend anybody and everybody to read i will warn it is graphic and not for the faint of hearts.

&

As of right now i am in the process of reading three books

The Secret Lives Of U.S President - This book tells you the stuff that wasn't taught in American History from George Washington to Bill Clinton

None Braver - It's a true account of Military PJ's Medics during Vietnam and what they went though to save the lives of their fellow soldiers.

The Day Kennedy Was Shot - It's a true account told from the point of view of Secret Service Agent Clint Hill who was on President Kennedy protective detail and was the man who jumped on the back of the limo as he sped away to Parkland after Kennedy was shot.

The Encyclopedia Of Serial Killers Volume #2 - This is an up to date as of 2004 Encyclopedia of Serial Killers from A-Z but this book is more for learning than pleasure reading but it's a scary but fascinating book and i would recommend it if you like to read about Serial Killers

my hats off to you. You found a thread from over a year ago. May I ask why is was such a concern? Is this thread really that bad? Its seem a few are enjoying it and maybe finding it a little bit helpful. But none the less thanks for your contribution.

Your fine don't worry about them...It had been a problem the thread would've been moved by now and since a moderator posted in here and didn't re-direct you then it's all good

• Xboxless, JOEsAGGRESSIVE, albanyave and 1 other like this

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:18 PM Edited by Xboxless, 29 August 2014 - 01:19 PM.

Ahhh YES! That book was crazy!

I read "A boy called it" when I was in high school........wow! That book is on another level, just absolutely horrifying! The whole father thing was just sad and depressing.............

Back on sci-fi track, I actually like the overtly technicality of 2312 because when he describes the method of how they create the hollowed out asteroids the only information he leaves out is the actual chemistry. He pretty much describes the entire process.....but I i'll check those guys out.

Also, for anybody that loves cheap books, Half Price books online is always good. I love the real thing. There's nothing like a shelf of books.....yum yum!

Waldie
  • Waldie

Bruce

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:15 PM Edited by Waldie, 29 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

I've got back into reading quite a bit of the last year or so. Finished War and Peace earlier this year. I enjoyed it overall but it was a bitch to get through as it took me about five months to read (although i was occasionally reading other stuff in between).

Pretty much straight after I dove into Crime and Punishment. I took a short break in the middle of it for a couple of weeks and read Bret Easton Ellis' Less than Zero then Orwell's Animal Farm. Just finished Crime and Punishment a few weeks ago. Took me a while to get into it but I definitely would recommend it.

Lately I've been reading the comics / graphic novels and some HP Lovecraft stories but I'm thinking of embarking on another novel. I've got a few lined up waiting to be read:

Salem's Lot, Tale of Two Cities, Dexter in the Dark (third Dexter book) and Brave New World.

Still haven't decided which one I'm going to start next. While I do sometimes read more than one book at the same time, I'd rather just stick with the one for the moment.

• Graven, na89340qv0n34b09q340, JOEsAGGRESSIVE and 2 others like this

JOEsAGGRESSIVE
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

So I put strangers back on the shelf(literally) and picked up 'Winter Moon' also by Dean Koontz. And yes the book was Koontz-esque but the ending seemed rushed and just sort of slapped together last minute by a different author. But before the last 50-70 or so pages its quite a good read. Although I'm not a fan of "mind control" elements in stories, it actually worked very well here. That's all I'll give you. 7/10

@airacobra I've been thinking about reading 'a boy called it' was actually recommended that by my niece. I'm gonna have to check that one out now.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Moonraker.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Just finished reading Tokyo Vice, a great book about an American who becomes a journalist for a major Japanese newspaper, I've never read a book which details the alien aspects of Japanese culture so well while at the same time providing an entertaining and informative account of Japans underworld.

Just started reading Killing Rage, a book by former IRA member Eamon Collins, who was stabbed to death because of this book in which he accounts his life in the IRA. It is supposedly the most realistic account of the Troubles, written by someone who has murdered in the name of the Republic but realised the error of his ways. I haven't read a lot, but it seems great, rather than him trying to brag or get sympathy, it feels like he is just trying to tell the flat truth, portraying no one as real heroes or villains.

• JOEsAGGRESSIVE and albanyave like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users