13 replies to this topic
LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hey there experienced PC wizards. 

So this is the situation. I'm looking at getting a new computer. Basically for improved video rendering purposes, but also to run a few games. Although I am not a PC gamer just yet, so I don't need top of the line stuff.

So I'm buying one flat out (I don't have enough experience or know how to build my own)

So my question is, is this PC good value for money? LINK

Will it be able to run things like GTA V as it is? (I know the specs aren't known yet but I'm guessing you guys will have a fair idea of them)

Also, If I ever wanted to upgrade it myself, is that PC customizable? For example will the motherboard take a better graphics card etc? 

killerbee25
  • killerbee25

Kaz...I'm already a demon...

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by killerbee25, 25 August 2014 - 05:59 PM.

After trying to make that build with individual parts, using a different case, the total amout was 535 pounds, 35 less than the asking price. If it wasn't for that discount, it definitely wasn't worth it. For rendering, the processor is good, but the graphics card is not be enough to run V at highest settings, perhaps medium. I'd say that if you're sure that you don't want to build your own PC, take that one (with the discount) and then upgrade it later, but I would strongly recommend building your own, and end up with something way better, like this (only 20 pounds more) :

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/p6ChvK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpick...vK/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£133.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£65.56 @ More Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£60.00 @ Kustom PCs)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (£151.54 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  (£28.79 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£28.20 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  (£18.23 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£68.48 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £590.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-25 18:48 BST+0100

Same processor, better motherboard,RAM,graphics card and case, and a power supply with less wattage since 600 was unnecessary. Turn the graphics card to a 270x or 270 , and you'll still get a way better pc for 540-550 pounds

• LittleBlueTroll and Alchemist like this

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

On a side note, I'd choose a PSU with two PCIe connectors to avoid using adapters.
  • Alchemist likes this

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'm not really sure what most of that means :p Aside from Ram and Processors my PC parts knowledge is lacking.

I don't know anything about motherboards, overclocking, graphics cards ETC.

Would that PC be easily upgradeable? Could it take a better graphics card?

• Alchemist likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Any PC is upgradable, just as long as you get the right parts that are compatible with your motherboard and power supply.

As for that PC you linked above, LittleBlue, I would say it's pretty good. It has a GTX 750 Ti which released back in February of this year, so it's not that old. 8GB of RAM will do for anybody, same with the Core i5. I see no problem with you playing GTA V on this system.  

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:00 PM Edited by LittleBlueTroll, 02 September 2014 - 08:01 PM.

Okay, so ever since posting in this topic, I've made it my mission to learn about building PCs.

I've watched hours of videos about parts, builds, compatibility ETC. And read a tonne of literature about it.

I now feel like I have a much better understanding of building a custom PC. And decided to build my own from scratch.

So completely forget about the one listed above, here is my new "soon to be" build:

• Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO Socket 1150 4xDDR3 Max 32GB ATX Intel Z87 PCI-E 1x D-Sub DVI HDMI DisplayPort
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150)
  • Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card 
  • Memory: Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
  • Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T ATX Compact Mid Tower Windowed Gaming Computer Case with Red LED Fan
  • Storage: WD 1TB SATA lll Desktop SATA Drive
  • SSD Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
  • Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-ray Combo Drive

Now I picked every part myself, everything should be compatible according to PCPartPicker. 

Obviously this is a first time for me, so is there anything I should change/swap out? 

• Alchemist likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:07 PM Edited by Android, 02 September 2014 - 08:15 PM.

Nice, glad you're done research about something like this. I've heard of many people just buying any parts and then they say then don't work. 

Why a Core i7-4790K? Are you going to over-clock? You could get something probably cheaper, but if you really want it I don't see a problem with it. You probably chose this CPU because you're future-proofing. The 780 Ti is a really good card, from what I hear and read online.

http://www.asus.com/...780TIDC2OC3GD5/

It says it runs 20% cooler due to the thermal technology they use, which is a wonderful thing.

I like the case you chose. 

• LittleBlueTroll likes this

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:19 PM Edited by LittleBlueTroll, 02 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

I do a lot of video rendering, so the CPU decision was based on a few factors aside from just video games.

And a silly as it sounds, the case was the hardest part to pick haha! I have quite traditional standards with a PC case, I don't like weird shapes and or the "futuristic" look. But at the same time, I wanted something that was a little bit more "look at me" than a standard black enclosure. I think the case fits my needs perfectly!

As for the video card, I've watched and read loads of reviews and they were all glowing. But obviously I have never owned a gaming PC, so they repeatedly were comparing it to other cards, which wasn't of any use to me as I've never used any of them cards haha.

All I need to do now is shop around and try and find the cheapest places to buy each part. 

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

I recommend keeping an eye out on Newegg, they are a great place to buy PC parts. They usually have sales on tons of products. 

Ah, okay. That should do fine with video rendering. I understand where you're coming from about standards with PC cases :p I love basic cases.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:35 PM Edited by Stinky12, 02 September 2014 - 09:53 PM.

Change that board from a Z87 to a Z97.

Here is a alternative build.

Core i7 5820K, unlocked, 6 cores/12 Threads with 16GB DDR4 in quad channel on Intel's latest high-end X99 chipset.

Here is the mobo: http://us.msi.com/pr...l#hero-overview

Haswell-E

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£289.98 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£159.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£149.50 @ More Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (£278.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£57.38 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  (£10.22 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1035.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-02 22:31 BST+0100

with OS

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£289.98 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£159.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£149.50 @ More Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (£278.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£57.38 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  (£10.22 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£83.53 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1118.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-02 22:33 BST+0100

• LittleBlueTroll and Alchemist like this

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

So I have a new question.

Once the PC is up and running, I will be installing a brand new windows on to the hard drive. (fresh FTW)

But, I want to add my current hard drive to my new PC, as there is a lot of programmes and files on it I need. Problem is, windows 7 is installed on this hard drive already. So what will happen if I add this to the new PC?

The new PC will boot from disc one, this will just be a secondary hard drive for files and storage. Will I run into problems having an operating system on 2 hard drives? 

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:37 AM

The OS will only function from the drive that is booting from. When you install your old hdd over and put it as secondary, then that will just be a storage drive. Certain files can be directly accessed, but for some that Windows does not support natively, then you must reinstall those programs that's associated with that file. All programs must be reinstalled onto the new drive, they cannot be copied over.

e.g. If you have .psd files (Adobe PhotoShop), then you must reinstall Adobe PhotoShop onto your new HDD for you to open up your photoshop files.

aragond
  • aragond

We are the Aragond. We will bury you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

So I have a new question.

Once the PC is up and running, I will be installing a brand new windows on to the hard drive. (fresh FTW)

But, I want to add my current hard drive to my new PC, as there is a lot of programmes and files on it I need. Problem is, windows 7 is installed on this hard drive already. So what will happen if I add this to the new PC?

The new PC will boot from disc one, this will just be a secondary hard drive for files and storage. Will I run into problems having an operating system on 2 hard drives? 

YES, I did this by accident ages ago -- added an external drive of my laptop -- and although it is not the end of the world, it will mean that you will forever be asked which boot you want to start from, the one on C:\ or the one on E:\ (or whatever drive it is).

The OS will only function from the drive that is booting from. When you install your old hdd over and put it as secondary, then that will just be a storage drive. Certain files can be directly accessed, but for some that Windows does not support natively, then you must reinstall those programs that's associated with that file. All programs must be reinstalled onto the new drive, they cannot be copied over.

e.g. If you have .psd files (Adobe PhotoShop), then you must reinstall Adobe PhotoShop onto your new HDD for you to open up your photoshop files.

Yes, welcome to Bill Gates' greatest gift to the world: that, unlike Mac (or so I am told), you cannot install programs by just copying the program's directory into a new place, because Windows insists all programs register themselves in a central database, use Windows DLLs, and so on and on. Nett result: people back in the early 1990s are happy their software can no longer be pirated, people in the 2000s and 2010s forever having to REINSTALL to use that program on their new computer, which usually means having to buy a new copy because vendors love to use this as a money-printing machine excuse.

But, I digress ...

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

I have to disagree, I keep my programs on a separate partition (other than the one with OS on it) and most of the stuff works without reinstalling on a fresh OS. Only a handful of apps require reinstalation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users