80 replies to this topic
TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

I see your point Mr Vercetti and I still have faith in the younger generation even if they do praise GTA V.:p
  • Vercetti42 and Kampret like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

SOL, the same younger generation you keep your faith in praise V, is that a good thing for you? :p

Jokes aside, I know some people whine about kids these days not having the chance to play San Andreas or Vice City and all but I think it's a blessing in disguise if anything. Because they know not to expect billions of features in the next installment.

I don't see why people go mad when someone calls IV or V the greatest game ever made simply because their recent ones. Of course they may not have played the 3D Era games but it's just a new generation. It was the same back in 2004, when everyone was praising SA and not a lot of people had even played GTA 1 or 2 back then.

Trust me, if a person's first GTA is IV, it's a lot better than having SA as first, and therefore claiming it to be the "base" of the series.

IV is a generational leap, just like how III was 6 years before.

• TheOtherRyan and Vercetti42 like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Exactly, I love the 3D Era games but at one point you just need to let go off them. And that's a problem some people seem to be having.

• Kampret likes this

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:58 PM Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc, 29 August 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Everyone was praising SA in 2004? That's not how I remember it (well, not in 2004, I wasn't using the internet fully back then, but before GTA IV anyway), everyone was bashing it for being a departure from VC's direction. I started seeing serious praise for it only after IV came out, when people hated its lack of content. And now that the dust has settled, merely liking SA has become taboo again.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:09 PM Edited by B Dawg, 29 August 2014 - 02:10 PM.

What was VC's direction? SA was just modern time with a black dude who could do everything he wanted, rise from bottom to top. Radios were still good (Ozzy returns with an even better song), shooting mechanics improved, driving better but crash physics worse (although not a big deal)

VC to SA, not much of a change except for a ton more content, that said, I loved em both

IV to V, massive change, dumbing down, not much good content

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

I think he's referring to the fact that VC was far more simpler to play than SA.

I've seen some threads pre-2008 and it does seems as though more people preferred VC to SA back then than they do now. I know a member who has been on this forum before 2008 and he says the same was happening as well.

This forum can never make up it's mind lol.

• PowerKracker and Kampret like this

Onett
  • Onett

Be seeing ya around. Long live The Mats.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

I was 22 when GTA IV released. I appreciated what R* tried to do back then unlike the whining brats, but now I'm edging my 30s it makes me feel a similar way to how I feel about epics such as The Godfather and Once Upon A Time In America.

On GTA IV's 10th anniversary I plan on doing something very special.

What are you planning to do?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

I was 22 when GTA IV released. I appreciated what R* tried to do back then unlike the whining brats, but now I'm edging my 30s it makes me feel a similar way to how I feel about epics such as The Godfather and Once Upon A Time In America.

It's a secret. Ya'll find out in 4 years time.;)

• Onett and Kampret like this

Onett
  • Onett

Be seeing ya around. Long live The Mats.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

Alright. :) Be forward to it in the meanwhile.

Payne
  • Payne

Time move forward, nothing changes.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

Alright. :) Be forward to it in the meanwhile.
Can't wait to see it SoL. :)

Ape1337
  • Ape1337

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:45 AM Edited by Ape1337, 30 August 2014 - 03:51 AM.

Agree with you op. I was 24 when IV came out and it has always been my favorite out of them all. V's storyline replayability has nothing on IV. IV is a serious gritty game, no goofy sh*t with this one. Probably why it & Max Payne 3 appeal to me.

• Kampret and Payne like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:57 AM Edited by Vercetti42, 30 August 2014 - 03:57 AM.

It's a secret. Ya'll find out in 4 years time. ;)

We are all looking for that special something. 

• TheOtherRyan, Onett and Kampret like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:59 AM Edited by Osho, 30 August 2014 - 09:06 AM.

Story and narrative are a different matter where your mental maturity, and capabilities to analyze everything that the story has to offer, as an experience, probably matters the most.
However, when it comes to gaming, gameplay precisely, you don't need as much maturity and experience, as in real life, something that relies on imagination, and the young you're with age, the more you are likely to push the game beyond the routine stuff and approach, test it, try and experiment.
When I played IV for the very first time, I was definitely not happy at the changes IV took on the "fun" areas, and with the gameplay, irrespective of the story.
By the time V released, the feeling of being not satisfied with the product helped me to start playing IV again. It's a situation like this, that also come into play, to make you think and change your perspective about something you ignored, and are now ready to analyze it differently, assuming a lot of things are comparatively better than, for ex: V, and also one would likely have a much better time in this particular game called "GTA IV" now.
With that being said, IV would be easily commendable on the strength of story, characters, the setting and in fact, it is considered amazing too.
IV feels unique in the series, and like it for the experience it offers.
  • B Dawg likes this

JohnDoe7125539271
  • JohnDoe7125539271

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Just wondering... are there umbrellas in GTA V? 

Payne
  • Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

No! LOL
  • JohnDoe7125539271 likes this

JohnDoe7125539271
  • JohnDoe7125539271

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

No! LOL

Thanks! I didn't even notice that i haven't seen any in V. Just came into my mind after visiting rainy Liberty today. This is why i love IV... all the little details.

• Zello likes this

Payne
  • Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

No! LOL

Thanks! I didn't even notice that i haven't seen any in V. Just came into my mind after visiting rainy Liberty today. This is why i love IV... all the little details.
In V they just run around like idiots hunched over, or hold a newspaper over their head.
  • Zello, JohnDoe7125539271 and Kampret like this

JohnDoe7125539271
  • JohnDoe7125539271

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

No! LOL

In V they just run around like idiots hunched over, or hold a newspaper over their head.

I guess they don't know rain in Los Santos... and damn, what about snow? I have seen them on the beach around christmas!

TheFlareEntercounter
  • TheFlareEntercounter

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Just like Vercetti42 here, I'm 14 and absolutely love GTA IV. The well-written story, control fluidity, and overall graphics really appeal to me. I was 9 when I first played it and I guess I was too young to understand the story, and only completed like half of the missions. Now that I finished my second playtrough I realized what a masterpiece of a game it is.

• Kampret and Payne like this

Payne
  • Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

Its great seeing kids who know games have a great story. Not just blowing sh*t up, like call for money.
  • TheFlareEntercounter likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 30 August 2014 - 11:33 PM.

I was around 10 years old when this game came out but I didn't own it until 2 years later. Me and my sister played the story mode together in 2011 but I decided to play it myself in 2012. First playthrough I was like "great story!" Every other playhrough after that was even better. What makes GTA IV so great was the detail not only in the world but it's story.

An example is when I played the IV trilogy, I was amazed at how the Heroin Johnny and the Lost steal from the AoD is the same Niko and Phil acquire later in the timeline.

holy sh*t

when The Lost steal the heroin, that mission is called action/reaction

they weren't f*cking around. that heroin caused a lot of things to happen in TLAD and IV's storyline. 

damn... wow.
  • Zello, Kampret and Payne like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users