You need to grow up to enjoy this game

80 replies to this topic
Zhake
  • Zhake

The pirate's life is the life for me

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

A friend borrowed me GTA IV in holidays like four years ago (wow, that's a lot), and I finished the game and was all like "huh, good game" and that was it. My oldest brother finished the game too and he was a lot more excited than me, something weird because he only finished GTA III.

A year or so ago I bought the digital copy for Xbox and really enjoyed so much the story, weapons, physichs... everything, I love the game since then. During my first gameplay I used to say "f*ck that old man Niko, he's boring", today I think is my favorite character in all the videogames I've ever played.

Today I'm doing a "perfect" playthrough, 100% and after downloading TLAD all I can say is wow, what a masterpiece this game is. Joined a deathmatch too, 100 times better than crappy deathmatches in GTA Online. I actually felt like skill was involved.

After all this, I get the conclusion that you need to grow up and get a mature mentality to enjoy this game. And I think that's the reason why so many disliked GTA IV and the episodes (considering a lot of GTA players are kids who love Trevor Philips because he's a yoloswagger generic badass). The depth in characters and the gray atmosphere make this game unique, and the way you're growing up (from driving a Vigero in Schotler to driving a Turismo in Star Junction) are unique in this game.

It's sad how people can't appreciate a game like this one. Guns sound better, the characters are actually lovable and not just hypocrites that only swear, the game feels faster, the cars are better, the driving is worth to master, a better story... and the episodes that make the complete story.

I want to know if someone feels the same way I do... I used to think this was a bad game, and now look at me, favorite of all time.

• SonOfLiberty, FiS!!HeR, Shenmue18 and 25 others like this

thekillerdonuts
  • thekillerdonuts

Jelly Filled

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

I was 11 or 12 when IV was released. Before that, San Andreas, Vice City and III were my favorite games (although, i could never beat III when i was this age). When i got IV, i loved it instantly. The graphics at the time were amazing, the ragdoll physics were absolutely fantastic (i must have made 100 YouTube videos of me jumping out cars, off bikes, from helicopters, etc.) and the city really felt alive. I never truly respected the story until 2010, i would say. After playing Red Dead Redemption, my eyes kinda opened to what made great stories. That game had everything; great characters, progressive story, foreshadowing, hidden meanings, everything. I was still playing IV regularly, though, and would always be replaying the story but only because i found it fun (contrary to what everyone else says about it). After Red Dead (thinking nothing could beat it storywise), IV blew my mind. When you combine it with EFLC, and how everything connects, while also delivering an amazing story, it's just amazing. So yeah, i think you have to grow up, either in age or in mentality, to truly respect IV. I always loved it, but now i worship it xD lmfao

• SonOfLiberty, ParanoiaX, JayJay35 and 4 others like this

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

You're safe in this section, pal. I agree with you! (except I loved it on the first playthrough, still do)
  • ddyoung, Zello, Cakelover21 and 1 other like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

I was 22 when GTA IV released. I appreciated what R* tried to do back then unlike the whining brats, but now I'm edging my 30s it makes me feel a similar way to how I feel about epics such as The Godfather and Once Upon A Time In America.

On GTA IV's 10th anniversary I plan on doing something very special.

• Shenmue18, ddyoung, Nicolas Chiribelo and 11 others like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

Luis Lopez is The Best HD era GTA Character Ever Created

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

as far as I know, GTA IV doesn't have multiplayer due to the crap called as GFWL. How can you enter IV MP without being private MP?

JayJay35
  • JayJay35

Wanna run like Claude

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

that's right, I was 9 (hopefully I wasn't playing online back then, I would have been a squeaker lol) when GTA IV came out and I was like ''ok, cool story,

Spoiler
'' but years later, I replayed the story and I realised ''woh! there's a lot more content in the story than that! there's his quest for the american dream, His mistakes after the war, his values, etc. I agree with you, no children can understand ALL the content of the story.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Grand Theft Auto IV

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

I can relate to this. When I first got GTA IV, I liked it, but at the time I was a hardcore Saints Row fan and immediately compared it to SR, and with the stupid mentality I had back then; I thought so.

Fast-forward 2014, I finally beat the game after a long hiatus from playing it and I appreciate it way more than when I first got it. I never understood the story during my very first playthrough, thought it was too realistic for my taste, and I thought it was boring. But now, it's almost as if I've become a different person after finally playing it again. I understand the story, and appreciate what Rockstar was able to accomplish 6 years ago in 2008.

Mentality, maturity and taste for good games sure has increased during that time.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:04 AM Edited by Shenmue18, 25 August 2014 - 03:23 AM.

I was only 10 when GTA IV was released and it was, still is and (if all the future games are going to be similar to GTA V) will always be my favorite. However I know what you mean, I've gone back and replayed the game recently and really appreciated just how well written the story is, how you have all these stories going on within the main plot, like the diamonds and heroin plot points that ended up involving multiple characters and factions. GTA V's pile of sh*t story looks even more weak when compared to how great IV's was. IV's gritty atmosphere just felt fitting of a crime game, a sunshiney, bright setting doesn't fit a game about crime. 

The driving was really well done in IV too, the arcade style driving in the past games was good and fitting for the time, but wouldn't feel right on current gaming platforms, V's driving just felt way too damn easy much like everything else in that game. I don't need every game to be incredibly difficult, but I like a little bit of challenge while I'm playing a game.

As for the characters in GTA IV, they were by far the best in the series, and that's saying something because Vice City and San Andreas had some really cool characters, but nothing as good as IV's. I agree with you on Trevor too, all you need to do is read my member title to realize that.

All in all, GTA IV felt like it was trying to be the first GTA IV, it was different than the previous games in the series and that's a big part of why I like it. GTA V feels like it's trying to be GTA San Andreas 2 and fails miserably at doing what it does better than San Andreas. 

The online for GTA IV was great until modders ruined it, but for the first few years the multiplayer for GTA IV was a total blast to play. I think GTA IV's map design is perfect for TDMs as well, there were plenty of alleys and things to use for cover, The Statue of Happiness, Charge Island and Bohan were some really fun spots for Team deathmatches back in the day. messing around in freemode with a few friends was always fun too.

• B Dawg, Witchking Of Angmar, Zello and 1 other like this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

i was probably around 13 or 14 when I got my version. I knew it was a good game, heard things about it. I was impressed by the graphics and how deep they went into details. But I wasn't old enough to recognize the humor and satire in the game. Or how troubling each mission was to Niko. Getting older exposes you to a lot of experience that brings many things to light, including video games.

• CasualSergiu likes this

The Harwood Bitcher
  • The Harwood Bitcher

Sexy Beast

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:53 AM

I appreciated at his fullest the first time
I remenber being touched by the history of niko (specially the one of the church and those kids) i annoyed my brother because respecting niko's character i always avoided crashing the car ,kill people ,steal cars ,tipical gta stuff (this was something i always did even as a kid, im odd)

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

Yes, I believe you need to have a determinate set of mentality to enjoy the game properly, and that's what Rockstar messed up, you know, they made San Andreas. Now that doesn't mean they shouldn't make their games more "serious" but hey, if the formula worked (and they confirmed it so with GTA V) why bother changing?

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

So OP, you didn't like IV when it was the latest game in the series, and now you don't like V, the lastest game in the series? 

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Yes, I believe you need to have a determinate set of mentality to enjoy the game properly, and that's what Rockstar messed up, you know, they made San Andreas. Now that doesn't mean they shouldn't make their games more "serious" but hey, if the formula worked (and they confirmed it so with GTA V) why bother changing?

Sometimes I wonder what the reaction towards GTA IV would've of been like if it was the next game in line after VC. It still would've been criticised like all GTAs do, but I think it would've much fairer rather than the typical "2 dark and deprezzin. wherz mah jetpak?".

• Lazyboy. likes this

LightningLord411
  • LightningLord411

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

I've always enjoyed this game and I still play it on occasions. I wish it has a little more mission variety but it was fine the way it is. Plus EFLC was great.
  • lilchris131 and Kampret like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:48 AM

as far as I know, GTA IV doesn't have multiplayer due to the crap called as GFWL. How can you enter IV MP without being private MP?

AFAIK PSN and XBL GTA IV Online is still up, and GFWL is still up too.

LightningLord411
  • LightningLord411

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

GFWL is still up? 

Kampret
  • Kampret

Hyped for Windows 10.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

GFWL is still up? 

Aside from some disconnects, yes, it's still up. In fact, I've played IV Online not longer than a week ago.

LightningLord411
  • LightningLord411

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

GFWL is still up? 

Aside from some disconnects, yes, it's still up. In fact, I've played IV Online not longer than a week ago.

Nice. I was thinking of upgrading my laptop a little bit and modding GTA IV/EFLC. Was going to tell a good friend of mine to get it but wasn't sure if we could play online.

• Kampret likes this

Johan
  • Johan

He won’t see the sun again for years to come

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

I agree with you fully OP, though I've never looked down at this game.. it's definitely the best one in the series, the characters, the dialogue and the story is what made me love the series even more and made me actually appreciate Rockstar more than ever. Hell I even replayed the game more times than I could count and actually purchased it multiple times, 3 on the PS3, 2 on PC and once on Xbox, no regrets whatsoever. I wish they would have brought that same kind of vibe into their new game.

To this day I still don't understand why people are always considering this one of the worst games in the series.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

To this day I still don't understand why people are always considering this one of the worst games in the series.

It's too dark, cold, depressing for them to handle apparently and not having over the top action sequences every mission is a no, no.

• Johan, Witchking Of Angmar, PsychoGamer and 1 other like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

I was 11 or 12 when GTA 4 was released. Bought it a year later. Didn't take it all in my first playthrough, but my second made this game the best GTA ever. I still play it to this day.

Johan
  • Johan

He won’t see the sun again for years to come

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

and not having over the top action sequences every mission is a no, no.

Which is exactly why games nowadays aren't interesting anymore, they keep throwing all these Michael Bay scenes in our faces just to please those people.. it's gotten old, especially in GTA V.

• SonOfLiberty and thekillerdonuts like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

and not having over the top action sequences every mission is a no, no.

Which is exactly why games nowadays aren't interesting anymore, they keep throwing all these Michael Bay scenes in our faces just to please those people.. it's gotten old, especially in GTA V.
That's why I play underrated games.
  • Johan likes this

EagleStrike
  • EagleStrike

Yo

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:49 AM

I was around 10 years old when this game came out but I didn't own it until 2 years later. Me and my sister played the story mode together in 2011 but I decided to play it myself in 2012. First playthrough I was like "great story!" Every other playhrough after that was even better. What makes GTA IV so great was the detail not only in the world but it's story.

An example is when I played the IV trilogy, I was amazed at how the Heroin Johnny and the Lost steal from the AoD is the same Niko and Phil acquire later in the timeline. 

Nicolas Chiribelo
  • Nicolas Chiribelo

Welcome to the City

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

This game is a truly masterpiece, no matter what most people say.

A GTA game doesn't need a ton of fun and hilarious features to be a good GTA.

And I actually agree with OP. Most of IV haters (MOST, not ALL of them) are little kids who can't enjoy a well written story with good characters.

Such a shame the vast majority of gamers nowadays are just that, little children who only want to kill every freaking human form shown in their screens. R* entered in the highway of success with V and (mainly) Online, and they'll never leave it. Any further GTA will be as good as IV, EFLC or III era games.

• SonOfLiberty, ryd3r007, Kampret and 1 other like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

I didn't play this game until 2011 but I kept hearing what a letdown it was. When I finally played it I loved and was floored by how much LC looked and felt like NYC. It truly feels like you are knee deep in the criminal world in this urban jungle. Even though it is set in 2008 LC almost has a late 70s feel and I love movies from that era. It really is a shame more people didn't appreciate it until recently but better late than never I suppose.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

almost has a late 70s feel and I love movies from that era. 

I get this feeling whenever I cruise around in a Dukes or some other muscle car listening to Fusion.

• PsychoGamer likes this

Zhake
  • Zhake

The pirate's life is the life for me

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

So OP, you didn't like IV when it was the latest game in the series, and now you don't like V, the lastest game in the series? 

I don't remember saying I dislike GTA V (besides Trevor), but nice trolling attemp, pal.

• SonOfLiberty and Kampret like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I don't remember saying I dislike GTA V (besides Trevor), but nice trolling attemp, pal.

So you like GTA V and GTA Online?

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

I was 12 or 13 when I got the game, I loved it. Didn't pay too much attention to the story, but the gameplay was top-notch. RPG - BOOM people fly all over the place.

• Kampret and maxpaynefan like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users