Best Non-GTA Rockstar Game

91 replies to this topic
Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:13 AM Edited by nobum62, 29 August 2014 - 04:17 AM.

Red Dead Redemption. Max Payne 3 GTA V is one of the worst games they've made in recent times. 

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

RDR gets my vote, closely followed by Max Payne 3.
  • Mista J, Gummy , Rejeckted and 1 other like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

Glad to see all my outlaw brethren. Red Dead Redemption could easily be the game of the generation and the GOAT.

Now lets all ride into the sunset with our white broncos.

To hell with that. I'm riding my Zonky: The Chrome Adder of the Old West.

Cameron
  • Cameron

💯

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:47 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 29 August 2014 - 08:48 AM.

MCLA doe. 

It's a game that the developers actually gave a sh*t about.

So many details in there, so much care put into the game and yet it didn't sell anywhere near as much as it should have because the gaming market is filled with "her der i ned gunz 2 keep me heppy" morons. 

Pretty much everything with MCLA is perfect. There's very few games where you can play through it and not be disappointed about anything, or think "oh, I wish that was there".
Even GTA4, which I view as one of the greatest games of all time, had disappointments. Lack of car customisation, no parachutes, all that stuff. 

With MCLA you've got extremely detailed cars, with interiors. And those interiors can be changed, through colours, new steering wheels, seats etc.
And then you have the in-depth customisation. A widebody for each car that completely changes the appearence, the decal editor, everything. Driving through the city you find loads of cars and pedestrians. 

It even has a storyline with cutscenes. Not only just "cutscenes" but they're even rendered in-game, so are the people in the cars, who are animated as well, and speak during the race. What other game has this level of detail? Pretty much none. 

The game runs in 1080p, has a high detailed world, fully customisable cars with interiors, everything. And it still runs multiplayer. Not only does it run multiplayer but it's like the most seamless multiplayer ever.  You pause, click on Quick Cruise and there, you're in multiplayer. No waiting screens, no "lobbies", none of that sh*t. You hit multiplayer and you're in multiplayer. 
And while you're in there, you can seamlessly start races and game modes inside that session. None of that "oh I started a race I'm in a completely different session now it'll take 2 hours to invite you back" crap you see in pretty much everything else. You start the race, and you're teleported to the race start with everyone else. And the race goes on inside that same session. 

RDR is awesome, but it's nowhere near as amazing as everyone says it is. I thought the towns were too small, especially Blackwater, the map was big but there were some areas which were quite generic, the guns felt too similar, and the multiplayer had way too many variables to actually get into any games, so I was left with grinding the same hideout again and again to level up and finally get a horse. It has a nice story and varied sidemissions, but IV does that too, and a lot more.
  • Sunrise Driver, ClaudeSpeed1911, Zello and 1 other like this

Drill Sergeant
  • Drill Sergeant

First name Drill, Last name Sergeant!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:24 AM

Manhunt series and Midnight Club series

• Sunrise Driver likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:47 AM

Red Dead Redemption.

It's hard to think it'll be 5 years old next year. A real shame PC players never got to experience it because I'd consider it one of the best open world games ever made. It would look a amazing on a powerful rig.

The detail, atmosphere etc...

It's complemented nicely with Undead Nightmare which some might consider strange considering the zombie theme, but I honestly love it. 

The Lonesome Drifter
  • The Lonesome Drifter

Online Section Exclusive Member / Extreme Dupe Car Aide

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

MCLA doe. 

It's a game that the developers actually gave a sh*t about.

So many details in there, so much care put into the game and yet it didn't sell anywhere near as much as it should have because the gaming market is filled with "her der i ned gunz 2 keep me heppy" morons. 

Pretty much everything with MCLA is perfect. There's very few games where you can play through it and not be disappointed about anything, or think "oh, I wish that was there".
Even GTA4, which I view as one of the greatest games of all time, had disappointments. Lack of car customisation, no parachutes, all that stuff. 

With MCLA you've got extremely detailed cars, with interiors. And those interiors can be changed, through colours, new steering wheels, seats etc.
And then you have the in-depth customisation. A widebody for each car that completely changes the appearence, the decal editor, everything. Driving through the city you find loads of cars and pedestrians. 

It even has a storyline with cutscenes. Not only just "cutscenes" but they're even rendered in-game, so are the people in the cars, who are animated as well, and speak during the race. What other game has this level of detail? Pretty much none. 

The game runs in 1080p, has a high detailed world, fully customisable cars with interiors, everything. And it still runs multiplayer. Not only does it run multiplayer but it's like the most seamless multiplayer ever.  You pause, click on Quick Cruise and there, you're in multiplayer. No waiting screens, no "lobbies", none of that sh*t. You hit multiplayer and you're in multiplayer. 
And while you're in there, you can seamlessly start races and game modes inside that session. None of that "oh I started a race I'm in a completely different session now it'll take 2 hours to invite you back" crap you see in pretty much everything else. You start the race, and you're teleported to the race start with everyone else. And the race goes on inside that same session. 

RDR is awesome, but it's nowhere near as amazing as everyone says it is. I thought the towns were too small, especially Blackwater, the map was big but there were some areas which were quite generic, the guns felt too similar, and the multiplayer had way too many variables to actually get into any games, so I was left with grinding the same hideout again and again to level up and finally get a horse. It has a nice story and varied sidemissions, but IV does that too, and a lot more.

I loved it, but after a while it got... Bland. The city was fairly boring after you reach the beach, those stupid hills races were all far to similar, and they just wasn't enough car variety to satisfy me ( only 3 bikes? No SUV's without South Central? Only around 6 car makes in total? )

No, they improved many things right such as the vinyl editor and online, but they messed up on many others (such as the 20 hoops you have to jump through to get the only exotic that isn't a ford or lambo for example, alongside the fairly small list of tracks). Therefore MC3 Dub Edition will always be their best in my opinion which it's great car list and city variety.

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

has to be red dead redemption.

i miss playing that game. i can't wait for the next game in the series. 

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

RDR, but only because it's the biggest,most advanced game next to GTA. As a franchise and a game it still has plenty of flaws. RDR2 will be epic though.

I really loved The Warriors. Great story experience with a lot of love and care for the source material.

Bully was great too, such an amazingly playable and fun game.

Manhunt was good too, if a bit bare bones. It was genuinely challenging and unsettling. Underrated stealth game, that!

I played a lot of midnight club too, but it wasn't really outstanding or anything. 2 was the best.

the ironic one
  • the ironic one

Don't take life too seriously. You wont get out of it alive.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Max Payne and RDR for my taste.

• Payne Killer likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

Bully, then RDR.

ARC8_1982
  • ARC8_1982

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:16 PM Edited by ARC8_1982, 19 October 2014 - 03:17 PM.

Manhunt series definitely. still waiting for a new GTA but with a stealth and the best parts :) from Manhunt, but that kind of GTA would be too gruesome and probably banned :(

• the ironic one likes this

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

Red Dead Redemption,also The Warriors. Others are also good like Bully,MP3 and LA Noire. Will see what The Agent will be like when is released.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:11 PM Edited by Rockstar Vienna, 29 April 2016 - 11:15 PM.

Red Dead Redemption.

Story, atmosphere, soundtrack, protagonist... 10/10

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:49 AM

I played the sh*t out of Bully and Red Dead Redemption. They're both great.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:30 AM Edited by theGTAking101, 01 May 2016 - 03:54 AM.

This is probably the first vote for L.A. Noire. Of course there's nothing to do in free roam but the story, map, atmosphere and acting (both voice acting and facial expressions) make up for that IMO.

• Sunrise Driver and Rejeckted like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:34 AM Edited by Zello, 30 April 2016 - 02:34 AM.

Midnight Club LA and all the other Midnight Club games no other racing game to this day can beat what that series has done the amount of car customization in that game is insane.

jrl51592
  • jrl51592

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:07 AM

Since the posts from 2014 were talking about masturbating to games and what-not. Here are my top 3 favorite non-gta games that I masturbated to.

Starting from the game that I literally fell in love with, put a lot of hours into, and almost married. Red Dead Redemption. My post about this amazing game would be too long so I'm just going to keep it short like it is.

My second favorite game, for me, was LA Noire. I really enjoyed finding clues, investigating suspects, and solving crimes. To top it off, I thought the facial animation was pretty cool. Although it was probably super uncomfortable for the actors to do that. It looked uncomfortable from the video I watched on how Rockstar recorded the actors face while they read scripts.

Lastly, straight from the PS2 days, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix. My cousin and I made a lot of cars in that game and really enjoyed the hell out of it. A lot of our cars were over-the-top, so much so that they surely would even give giantsgiants a run for his money. It is probably the best Midnight Club in my opinion.

And thus, I conclude my post about the games that I masturbated to. Cheers!

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

Definitely RDR, even though the ending is the only thing I've ever been mad at Rockstar for. 

Bully was great too but obviously not as good as RDR, I played Midnight Club Dub Edition on PS2 back in the day and it was ok but racing games aren't really my thing.

I've never played Max Payne or Manhunt, I should probably do so. It took me a while to appreciate LA Noire, at first I hated it but when I got used to the fact it wasn't a detective version of GTA and understood the game, it was quite enjoyable but still not one of their best.

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

cd00137

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GFX]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

I think all have their different taste's. I have enjoyed playing them all. Sometimes their is no point in comparing two good things when you can have both. Its just like why have some good bed time with one hot woman when you can enjoy threesome with two of them. :pp  

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

Meh..RDR is crap. I don't know why people are so crazy about this game.
Manhunt 1 and The Warriors were the best and my favorites outside the GTA titles.
Rest all of their titles are seriously boring and overrated. Never played Bully or Midnight Club, so wont comment on them.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:33 AM Edited by Sergiu, 30 April 2016 - 11:37 AM.

L.A. Noire is my favorite non-GTA Rockstar game.
Following in close second, Bully.
  • Sunrise Driver, theGTAking101 and Rejeckted like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

Red Dead Redemption is what I'd call "objectively" the best. But L.A. Noire is my personal favorite. The overarching plot was weak and the action sequences were forced and unnecessary, but the writing, the engrossing setting (a rare example where an underused open world actually didn't work in the game's detriment, in my opinion) and atmosphere and, in general, the fantastic adaptation of the police procedural to video game mechanics of a polished AAA title with high production values, made the game an unique treat. At its best, it really felt like an excellent detective TV show.

• Jabalous, theGTAking101 and Rejeckted like this

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

cd00137

• Facade Corporation
  • India
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Its very nice to see how many people like L.A Noire better than RDR.  :^: 

• Sunrise Driver, HaythamKenway and theGTAking101 like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:08 PM Edited by toxluv, 30 April 2016 - 06:21 PM.

This, for me, is a million dollar question. Even though I never finished it (because my PS3 died while I was playing it), Red Dead Redemption gave me so much emotions I've never been able to feel with other games. Best moment in the game for me was riding off into the sunset with "Far Away" by Jose Gonzales while entering Mexico for the first time.

First non-GTA Rockstar Games' title I played was The Italian Job, and back in those days that game gave me a taste of how GTA would be if it was in 3D. I gotta confess that I preferred both Driver and Driver 2 over GTA1 and GTA2 (GTA: San Andreas is actually the game that made me love both Rockstar Games and the GTA series so much), so The talian Job was a very good alternative to a series (Driver) that was very popular during the PS1-era.

Second one I played was Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy, which I preferred over THPS for its more realistic approach. Didn't play it that much as I never bought it, but I used to play it with a childhood friend of mine at his place. THPS was way more popular, so I feel like Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy was very underrated - the soundtrack was amazing and some songs have also been reused in GTA: San Andreas.

Only in recent times I had the chance to own other non-GTA Rockstar Games' titles. My collection at the moment includes: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, Bully, The Warriors, Manhunt, Red Dead Revolver, and Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix (which has some very disturbing audio glitches, sadly) - without counting all the GTA games released on the PS2. I love all of them for different reasons, and I'm looking forward to playing other non-GTA Rockstar Games' titles released on the PS3 I never owned (Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire, Midnight Club: Los Angeles - Complete Edition) and replay Red Dead Redemption in the future.

List of non-GTA Rockstar Games' titles I played:

Spoiler

Loved all of them!

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Max Payne 1 is not a R* game. It is developed by Remedy Entertainment.

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:50 PM Edited by toxluv, 30 April 2016 - 01:52 PM.

Max Payne 1 is not a R* game. It is developed by Remedy Entertainment.

This is a very wrong thing to assume. Both Rockstar Canada - the former name of Rockstar Toronto, which also worked on Oni under that same name - and Remedy worked on it. Just read the game's credits, and you'll see that Rockstar Canada employees are credited as "Project Leader", "Lead Programming", "Programming", "Additional Programming", "Art Direction", "Animation", "Art", "Music", "Lead Level Editor", "Level Editors", "Lead Q/A" and "Q/A".

Furthermore, here's an Easter egg (known as "R* Thanks") in which there's a recorded phone call between a Rockstar Games and Remedy where they talk about how amazing has been to work together on the game, thanking each other, and that they are looking forward to working together again (Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne).

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

No. Remedy entertainment and the team is the main brain behind the classic Max Payne 1. Ports created later for the PS2, Xbox & the Game Boy Advance were published by Rockstar Games.
The game's story and script writer Sam Lake was the founding member of Remedy Entertainment, not Rockstar.
You can't credit Rockstar for the game's prototype and design document of the project. The whole credit goes to Remedy and their brilliant team.
Rockstar have actually ruined the Max Payne series ever since they have taken control over the title developments with the changes made.
Read: A message to Remedy (Max Payne)
  • RogerWho likes this

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground]

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

Max Payne.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

So far... 2? ^^

Nothing against L.A. Noire! ;)

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

cd00137

• Facade Corporation
  • India
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:13 PM Edited by Black Metal, 30 April 2016 - 05:17 PM.

So far... 2? ^^

Nothing against L.A. Noire! ;)

Include me too. And probably many others behind the scenes. 

And not 2 they were 3 : Sergi, Haytham and Gta King

• theGTAking101 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users