What I think about GTA 5 Driving. And what would you add to GTA 6 driv

51 replies to this topic
CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

I think GTA V has the best driving physics of all the GTA games so far. 4 was fun for a while but going back and playing that game after playing V, and you feel like you're driving slugs. It's HORRIBLE. V, while not a super deep, complex driving system, allows you to have fun and really throw the cars around like toys - which is what i want in an open world sandbox game, because I play it for fun, not for a simulator experience. I race cars in real life, I don't need to recreate that experience in my GTA escapism entertainment.

I can slide certain cars around turns well, others not. The Banshee, Coquette Classic, Sabre Turbo, and even the Tornado are good for power slides. 

There is NO drifting in this game - drifting is not a slide, it's a sideways movement controlled by the spinning of the rear drive tires. What we HAVE is power sliding, and it's hard to master, but you really need the right car for it.

Yes, the cars could be just a tad bit heavier, and they would feel perfect.

L

No, the driving is too arcadish. What I'm talking about is actual driving. Not boat like. Not pillow like. Not Simulator like.

The cars need more weight, better sound, and real drifting is a must. Can you imagine the type of races you'd get? NOW that is fun.

Yeah I can imagine how much fun trying to drift in a public race would be. There's no way it would end up a demolition derby. No way at all.

And no, I don't think the driving is too arcadish. You want arcadish, play Saints Row or Watch Dogs.

AndYuKnowTHIS
  • AndYuKnowTHIS

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:34 AM Edited by AndYuKnowTHIS, 24 August 2014 - 04:35 AM.

Yeah I can imagine how much fun trying to drift in a public race would be. There's no way it would end up a demolition derby. No way at all.

And no, I don't think the driving is too arcadish. You want arcadish, play Saints Row or Watch Dogs.

The cars feel like pillows man. No weight. The muscle cats feel decent, but all the other cars, mainly sports/super feel like toys.

Need 4 Speed Underground 2 had much better driving physics imo. Drifting and weight wise. Besides, even I'd still like drifting to drift in free roam. Do you think people would really crash? I imagine everybody would be having too much fun trying to get that perfect drift score.

On a side note, Jealous of PC owners. Wait til they get their hands on GTA 5. Those Fukrs probably got the mods ready.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=Dd77tEKuN1s

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

Warning: long post impending:  

Where do I begin?  Watch Dog's driving sucks.  

On to GTA. 

As with everything, i believe there should be the proper amount of balance.  Car physics for players are literally completely different than NPCs.

Example:  Im driving in a Primo (fully modded) and stop, the car behind me gets spooked out and runs into the back of me.  I hold both the brakes and the handbrakes as hards as I could.  The woman NPC behind me was in a Sentinel and proceeded to slowly push my car out of it's way despite my car trying so hard to stay stopped that the tires are smoking and I'm basically doing a burnout.  She keeps pushing me for like a whole block, i get out, kill her, get in her car, which was still directly behind mine, attempted to do the same thing she was doing, and the Primo wouldn't budge.  I mean not at all.  How was she able to push my car a whole block with the brakes locked up but i couldn't do the same thing with no one in the car at all?  

NPC cars have some sort of "freight train" physic, where their vehicles seem to have way more mass than ours, as long as an NPC is driving it.  They can plow thru our cars (or multiple cars) from a dead stop; yet when we crash them we get halted or spun out like we hit a f*cking brick wall.  This needs to be changed

Police need to be properly programmed as well.  There is a video on youtube that shows how the police bumping into you from behind magically make your front wheels turn forcing you to lose control.  That's bullsh*t - we'll just ignore the fact that police have some sort of Nos turbo boost and can catch up to you in anything while driving anything - the fact that they just make you swerve all over the place from tapping you is lazy programming.  The police cars try to PIT you sometimes, I can live with that; it's realistic and practical, but that tap you once and the wheels start jerking needs to be fixed.  Also I don't understand how a Police Van (stockade?  It's the police variant of the Pony) can magically catch up to me and ram the sh*t out of me when normally that van is a slow POS.

GTA IV's driving was OK but the understeer in cars was extreme.  The thing I like most about GTA IV's driving was the weight transfer in vehicles: In other words, car's actually felt like they had a suspension; unlike in GTA V where every vehicle is like a moving brick.  SUV's and Trucks in GTA IV were more prone to rollovers, they need to bring that back to GTA V.  However sports cars in GTA IV had too loose of a suspension.  Like I said there should be balance.  Sports cars and other vehicles should have tighter suspensions and handling, while Trucks, SUV's, and larger cars should be looser and have more body roll.  For this R* would have to take a ton of time developing each car's handling, which I don't see them doing.  

I feel like some cars are way to sluggish, like I understand that a 4x4 pickup isn't going to keep up with a  Ferrari but it seems like a lot of vehicles were given very poor engine stats.  Some cars are a nightmare to drive in tight situations being that they're so slow you'd probably be better off on foot.  Once such car is the Emperor.  I love the car, but can barely take it out because even when fully upgraded it's slow as ass. When I come across other players I'm quickly run off the road and shot up or blown up.  I get it, a mid 80's cadillac doesn't have a lot of ups, but when upgraded the car should have generous speed.  A lot of the trucks and SUV's, are extremely sluggish, and take forever to get to an adequate speed.  It shouldn't be that way.  I knew someone with a 94 Jeep Cherokee, that's an old little truck, and that truck had way more ups than a lot of the vehicles on GTA.  

Don't even get me started on how exotics can take off roading better than most of the trucks and SUV's as well.

GTA V's driving is OK but has much room for improvement.  

Drifiting?  yeah, certain cars should be able to drift thru turns, since it's impossible to drift in GTA.  Power sliding just takes a bit of time to master in certain vehicles.

anyways that's my two cents, or you could even say two quarters.

TL;DR :

Spoiler

• Ballistic Jello and RoachKiller_416 like this

DopeFresh
  • DopeFresh

Member of the Dope Fresh Nation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

I think GTA V has the best driving physics of all the GTA games so far. 4 was fun for a while but going back and playing that game after playing V, and you feel like you're driving slugs. It's HORRIBLE. V, while not a super deep, complex driving system, allows you to have fun and really throw the cars around like toys - which is what i want in an open world sandbox game, because I play it for fun, not for a simulator experience. I race cars in real life, I don't need to recreate that experience in my GTA escapism entertainment.

I can slide certain cars around turns well, others not. The Banshee, Coquette Classic, Sabre Turbo, and even the Tornado are good for power slides. 

There is NO drifting in this game - drifting is not a slide, it's a sideways movement controlled by the spinning of the rear drive tires. What we HAVE is power sliding, and it's hard to master, but you really need the right car for it.

Yes, the cars could be just a tad bit heavier, and they would feel perfect.

L

No, the driving is too arcadish. What I'm talking about is actual driving. Not boat like. Not pillow like. Not Simulator like.

The cars need more weight, better sound, and real drifting is a must. Can you imagine the type of races you'd get? NOW that is fun.

how is watch dogs arcadish?  the cars have suspension, weight, and take time to turn unlike gta 5.

AndYuKnowTHIS
  • AndYuKnowTHIS

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Don't want power sliding. Can you power slide through several consecutive corners while maintaining a decent speed? Can you power slide entirely through a U shape turn while maintaining decent speed? I want Tokyo Drift drifting. Literally. Well, it doesn't have to be perfect.

TCMike
  • TCMike

Lazy Gamer

• Members
  • United-States
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Weather

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Overall I'm very happy with the driving physics in GTAV, but I do miss the sense of mass from GTAIV.  I used to love driving a Hummer down one of the main roads and try to clip cars crossing in front of me.  It was always hilarious to send them flying/thumbing into hot dog carts and pedestrians on the sidewalk.  In GTAV your car just stops, with a couple scratches on the bumper. 

• don ovdi' island likes this

EvilFiend
  • EvilFiend

Trying to change

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

Just another kid crying about no drifting.....

AndYuKnowTHIS
  • AndYuKnowTHIS

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

Its more than just that. Did you eve read the op? I'm sure the community agrees with most my suggestions. And what's wrong with drifting if it takes skill?

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

in gta online the npc's can't drive very well, i've been cut off by them so many times.

if they come out with a gta 6 i would like to see smarter driver ai.

EvilFiend
  • EvilFiend

Trying to change

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Its more than just that. Did you eve read the op? I'm sure the community agrees with most my suggestions. And what's wrong with drifting if it takes skill?

Nothing I just seen this thread a lot and is always the same . Yes we wish the driving was better but at the same time is way too late to consider altering the entire game. Can only hope the next one has the things you want

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

in gta online the npc's can't drive very well, i've been cut off by them so many times.

That's another thing - I can't tell if it's just horrible programming or a bad joke, but that sh*t does need to be fixed.  The AI driving is the worst in V than I've ever seen in any other GTA.  It's like we're back to the 3D era or something.  

I GET IT, people change lanes without using blinkers, and if R* was trying to poke fun by saying people drive bad they should have only done it for a small percentage of NPC drivers, not; "Every f*cking car for a mile straight randomly cuts in front of you"  

It's just so strange, people say that the NPC's aren't programmed to piss off the player but I find it funny how they only seem to decide to change lanes (inevitably always into the lane I'm in) whenever i'm:

- driving up the street at 100 MPH

- running from cops or other players

- trying to get somewhere fast

- my car is perfect and has no scratches or damage

I've literally seen NPC's driving on the wrong side of the road, barreling thru stops signs AND red lights, and all kinds of crazy crap. 

Or, we could take the other route, and say that the traffic is designed to make you wreck your cars so you fix them at LSC, wreck so that you get killed by police or other so that you have to pay bills and drop cash, etc etc etc, to secretly promote cash cards, ooh, now who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory?

Seriously though, it's annoying.  I understand people can't drive IRL, I understand GTA is "supposed" to have a satirical element to it, but sometimes it just leaves me thinking WTF.

• TCMike likes this

TCMike
  • TCMike

Lazy Gamer

• Members
  • United-States
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Weather

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Speaking of which, I just logged on earlier today and sold a gang car, first thing I do usually.  I was trying to turn left but an NPC was in the way, so I slammed on my brakes to turn behind him.  But then the NPC also braked and stopped, blocking me.  So I jumped on the throttle, and so did the NPC.  I braked.  He braked. 

I very nearly lost my sh*t and slaughtered every living thing in a 5 block radius. 

But I didn't want to scratch my gang car.

///M
  • ///M

E39

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

- less sensitive steering

- more engine noise

- less wheel spin

- option to turn off traction control

- more lively suspension and realistic body roll

- no speed blur effects

Ballistic Jello
  • Ballistic Jello

Retired BF3 tanker

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

That's another thing - I can't tell if it's just horrible programming or a bad joke, but that sh*t does need to be fixed.  The AI driving is the worst in V than I've ever seen in any other GTA.  It's like we're back to the 3D era or something.  

I GET IT, people change lanes without using blinkers, and if R* was trying to poke fun by saying people drive bad they should have only done it for a small percentage of NPC drivers, not; "Every f*cking car for a mile straight randomly cuts in front of you"  

It's just so strange, people say that the NPC's aren't programmed to piss off the player but I find it funny how they only seem to decide to change lanes (inevitably always into the lane I'm in) whenever i'm:

I've literally seen NPC's driving on the wrong side of the road, barreling thru stops signs AND red lights, and all kinds of crazy crap. 

Or, we could take the other route, and say that the traffic is designed to make you wreck your cars so you fix them at LSC, wreck so that you get killed by police or other so that you have to pay bills and drop cash, etc etc etc, to secretly promote cash cards, ooh, now who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory?

Seriously though, it's annoying.  I understand people can't drive IRL, I understand GTA is "supposed" to have a satirical element to it, but sometimes it just leaves me thinking WTF.

Traffic is programmed to interfere with you. Go do a long race by yourself in the city, with Traffic on. By the end you will have no doubt that traffic is intended to crash into you.

A good example is cars crossing in front of you. Regardless of red or green lights the game spawns cars to cross the intersection in front of you and you will often hit them regardless of veering left or right or slowing down. The game adjusts the NPC vehicle's speed to intercept you.

The sh*ttiest, laziest, most assholish move of all in GTA Online.
  • don ovdi' island, RoachKiller_416 and TCMike like this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

Traffic is programmed to interfere with you. Go do a long race by yourself in the city, with Traffic on. By the end you will have no doubt that traffic is intended to crash into you.

A good example is cars crossing in front of you. Regardless of red or green lights the game spawns cars to cross the intersection in front of you and you will often hit them regardless of veering left or right or slowing down. The game adjusts the NPC vehicle's speed to intercept you.

I don't think it's intentional, I think it's just a broken system. The cars are supposed to react to you, but then tend to react wrongly. It gets worse when you have more players driving around the same area. It gets even worse still when you have police after you. the NPC driver AI just completely breaks down.

There are frustrating moments in single player when AI cars will randomly turn in front of you, but they're no where near as common as in GTA:O, which is why i believe that it's just a broken system, not an intentional design.

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:45 AM Edited by dreaded_verse, 24 August 2014 - 05:49 AM.

You know, I've noticed that too but never could really put my finger on it.  At first I thought it was cool, crashing into cars at intersections because i could see it happening IRL, like a someone running from the cops runs into a civilian car in the intersection that never saw it coming, right?

NO.  It's just because at first when you're going 100+ up the street you're not really giving a f*ck if the light is green or red, but after multiple seemingly unavoidable collisions in these intersections you'll noticed that half the damn time THEY'RE the ones running the damn red light! 

inb4 the lol u suck lol u can't drive

I don't think it's intentional, I think it's just a broken system. The cars are supposed to react to you, but then tend to react wrongly. It gets worse when you have more players driving around the same area. It gets even worse still when you have police after you. the NPC driver AI just completely breaks down.

There are frustrating moments in single player when AI cars will randomly turn in front of you, but they're no where near as common as in GTA:O, which is why i believe that it's just a broken system, not an intentional design.

IRL, no one is expecting a car to be cutting up the middle of the street at 100 MPH, i can understand traffic reacting badly sometimes or crashing into you where normally you'd be "in the wrong" for the collision, but, sometimes it's just so blatantly obvious that NPC cars are trying to f*ck you over.

One main problem IRL is when people cut into different lane without even looking to see if there is anyone already there or they quickly glance without noticing someone in their blindspot.  Virtually every other car it feels like does that exact thing in GTAO and makes it even worse by not using a blinker. i never see NPC drivers just cutting suddenly to get out of my way, only in it.  

~Joseph~
  • ~Joseph~

TRUMP 2016

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:10 AM Edited by ~Joseph~, 24 August 2014 - 06:12 AM.

Revert back to GTA IV physics but tighten the suspensions cause they were a little bouncy, but other than that the physics were amazing. Best physics in any game involving cars in my opinion. I do not know what they did in this game but they made the cars feel like plastic and the bodies are way too hard. Put those driving physics in this game and it's the best open world game. The physics in this game ruined the game for me because vehicles were always my favorite thing about GTA and IV got me hooked on driving because of its realism. Oh well maybe current gen.

Virus..
  • Virus..

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

I think i would appreciate GTA overall more if they fused the driving Like in Midnight club with Cockpit view and the Hand changing gears real fun times. Also it would be amazing if they used real life cars in GTA but that's impossible. To me I have to say with each cars they introduce with every update i have to say the Car designers have to step it up. The turismo is the only car i approve of out of all the updates and the one from Valentines day. This is off topic but am i the only one that wants another midnight club from Rockstar? I know they probably are going with Bully 2 or Read dead but midnight club would be nice. 

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:17 AM Edited by iam2fresh, 24 August 2014 - 06:17 AM.

Revert back to GTA IV physics but tighten the suspensions cause they were a little bouncy, but other than that the physics were amazing. Best physics in any game involving cars in my opinion. I do not know what they did in this game but they made the cars feel like plastic and the bodies are way too hard. Put those driving physics in this game and it's the best open world game. The physics in this game ruined the game for me because vehicles were always my favorite thing about GTA and IV got me hooked on driving because of its realism. Oh well maybe current gen.

mvVsAdv.gif god damn its so real

• Frito-Man likes this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

For what it is GTA v has amazing driving. Better than many driving so called simulators actually. Certainly better than the early versions of say Forza and worlds better than any previous GTA. If they fix the power cut/traction control when you slide it would be just about as good as you'll ever see in a non simulator.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I honestly didn't care much for the physics when the game was first released. I'm not sure if they've been since tweaking it or if its just grown on me but I actually really enjoy the driving in V now. Motorcycles are much easier to handle than in IV, you can manually shift up and down if done right, you can drift with the right cars if you learn the technique, the huge variety in vehicles alone along with all their own unique feeling.. I think we should be a little bit more appreciative that we got a standalone racing games quality of driving/flying/boat physics in a large open world game. 

The physics are a good mix of sim and arcade that balances right on what's actually fun and enjoyable as compared to totaling your car every time you drove up a curb. 

Raging.Clue
  • Raging.Clue

CEO, Biker & Vehicle Enthusist.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Now I'm not gonna sit here and argue the GTA 4 had better driving physics, but GTA 5 could have been much better. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Well here's what I think the driving in GTA 6 should be like:

1. For one, the cars feel too light. Pillow light. Why not add a little heaviness? I want to 'feel' the car.

2. Drifting. This is A MUST. I would Love to drift in GTA. Not measly power sliding, but actually drifting around corner after corner.

3. The Cars are fast, but they really don't 'feel' fast. They feel 'cheap fast'. I shouldn't be able to drive top speed in the city. I shouldn't be able to hole the trigger all the way down in a parking lot. I want to feel power.

4. Add more little things to the cars. For example the Adder(Bugatti) has a wing come out when going an excessive speed. How about Muscles being able to do wheelies because of the excessive torque and horsepower? What about trucks with diesel engines that blow out tons of black smoke when revving?

5. Tuners. Where are the tuner cars? The Nissan Skylines, Supra, etc? Where are the Afterglow lights? Lowriders? What about car shows online?

6. I just bought a 9f, fully upgraded it, and you know what I realized? Cars need to be louder. Is something like that possible? Idk, but I'd love to drive around with my 9F screaming like a F1 Racer. Maybe the sound is different for those with a home theater setup.

7. Speaking of F1 sounding cars, how about Turbos/Super chargers sound more beefy? If you're a car person, you know what I'm talking about. That loud whistle that sounds like it'll inhale a small kid.

1. As do I. I want to feel the weight of a car and feel the consequences of throwing that weight around at 80 miles per hour around a sharp corner,

2. Do not really care about drifting too much, but I would like to drift around an intersection at 40 miles per hour.

3. I want to feel the power of the vehicle I am driving too, but there is a reason why they do not feel that way, It is because because the system, Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, cannot generate the look or drawing the items with moving that actual speed.

4. I would not mind some of this, but not excessively blowing smoke, like those assholes who "Roll Coal".

5. I would not mind me some tuners, all for it. I myself have a Tuner Stratum in GTA Online.

6. They do need to be louder, have a better engine note. The Coquette Classic being an example. Instead of it sounding like it has a 427 Big Block V8, but instead that iconic car sounds like it has an Inline-4 or Inline-6.

7. I would not mind them sounding more beefy, but sadly there are no Superchargers in GTA V at all.

Don't bring back the AI rubber banding. f*ck it, scrap V's whole car physics.

I agree, but more of a mix of GTA IV's and GTA V's car physics, a balance of sorts.

The driving physics are dumbed down because the game makers are forced to cater to the casual gamer whom the majority of which are very close to being mentally retarded.

I agree with you, man. The physics for driving in GTA V are okay, but too arcadish for my taste. I think the only reason people complain about GTA IV's car driving physics, aside from that the fact they could've use improvement in some areas, is because they could not drive worth sh*t on GTA IV.

We really need better exhausts sounds. I want my schwatzer sound like a real AMG not like a f*cking C200.

I know, right? I wanna hear the rumble of that loud 427 out of my Coquette Classic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users