The ALS Icebucket Challenge and Other Social Media Exploits

92 replies to this topic
EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

I had no idea what ALS was before these ice bucket challenges. It makes me devastated that something like this exists and I was more than happy to donate to this cause! So, I donated to both the Canadian and American foundations. If my funds don't go towards finding a cure - so be it. As long as they go towards medical expenses and aid for those living with ALS then that's okay too! I really hate how there always has to be that group of people who are total asswipes about things like this. Why can't people just accept things as they are right now and be happy that this little-known disease is getting the recognition and attention it needs in order to build funds for research. I personally did not do the ice bucket challenge- I just donated, but again, if it wasn't for these ice bucket challenges I never would have heard of ALS and therefore never would have considered donating. As for the whole water-wasting argument, I agree that people in area's where there is a drought going on should consider other options, but really........ people waste water every day, even the people angry that people are wasting water! Because guess what? You don't NEED to brush your teeth and waste tap water - you don't NEED to take long showers or a bath. We don't NEED swimming pools, water parks, and we certainly don't NEED to waste water washing our cars.

Dillono
  • Dillono

Tell me, do you bleed?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:30 AM Edited by dillono, 24 August 2014 - 05:30 AM.

You don't NEED to brush your teeth and waste tap water - you don't NEED to take long showers or a bath. We don't NEED swimming pools, water parks, and we certainly don't NEED to waste water washing our cars.

What? We'd all look like characters from Mad Max within a month or two.

• Jeone likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Why would I be mad about this? I'm not upset that people want to donate, it's a good thing. But not every ice bucket challenge being done is where people are actually donating, they're just doing it for fun. That's a slap to the face of what this entire 'challenge' is for. If you don't care about the disease, what it is or don't have the money to donate, then don't waste their time and do the bucket just to be cool or because everyone else is doing it.

That .pdf shows how much they spend more on unimportant stuff than research, I've browsed it over acouple days ago before that video I saw. 29mil and only 7mil is spent on research? For a period of up to 3yrs? What about the 3yrs of donations inbetween that time? Doesn't sit well with me. Although any type of money is good towards finding cures but I think with the new amount being donated in because of this bucket challenge, I think they can afford to throw some more money into that pile, a LOT more.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

Who cares if there are a few people doing it just because it's "the cool thing to do". If that's the cost of raising awareness and funds, then so be it. It's exactly what I was saying in my post on the first page. You would stop it all? Including the good it does? All so you don't have to be mildly annoyed by the people who think it's the new "planking"?

Is it really worth the worry?
  • El Diablo, Zook and EphemeralStar like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

man I shoulda' gotten home earlier.

DarthYenik is killing this thread and anyone who disagrees with him is retarded.

like seriously OP. what's the big deal?

anybody who is complaining about this looks like an ignorant douche, not a hip crusader. because the end result is awareness for ALS suffering and $$$$ for ALS treatment research groups. last time I checked, that's a pretty good campaign.

as far as I can tell, this is like the first "social media exploit" that actually f*cking works.

think about it.

Kony?

SaveOurGirls?

that hashtag bullsh*t doesn't accomplish sh*t. but Ice Bucket Challenge seems to be doing exactly what it intended to do.

• EphemeralStar likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

Four x as many donations? How cute! Here's some food for thought, what if everybody donated the money they spend on icebags instead of wasting it on f*cking icebags to dump over their bodies to get social media cred and make a video about that! Imagine the donation increase then!  #sensibleALSdonationchallenge

• gtamann123, GunWrath, lazy. and 2 others like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

Four x as many donations?

2.2 million goes into 62.5 million more than 4 times.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

Point stilll stands, donations in the event of the above would dwarve that number. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

what if everybody donated the money they spend on icebags instead of wasting it on f*cking icebags to dump over their bodies

you can't possibly assume that everyone who does this is literally going down to 7/11 and buying fresh bags of ice...

everyone I'm aware of that has done this has just used freezer cubes from home.

I bet very few people have actually gone out and purchased a bag of ice to do the challenge.

• Moth and EphemeralStar like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

Point stilll stands, donations in the event of the above would dwarve that number. 

Probably not. Urging people to go out and donate doesn't go viral. The challenge is what made so many people do it. That's why it gained traction.
  • EphemeralStar and TeleportUppercutSpam like this

Moth
  • Moth

Baka Senpai

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Four x as many donations? How cute! Here's some food for thought, what if everybody donated the money they spend on icebags instead of wasting it on f*cking icebags to dump over their bodies to get social media cred and make a video about that! Imagine the donation increase then!  #sensibleALSdonationchallenge

You do know people have ice makers in their homes, right? Also ice trays.

• athande and EphemeralStar like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

You don't NEED to brush your teeth and waste tap water - you don't NEED to take long showers or a bath. We don't NEED swimming pools, water parks, and we certainly don't NEED to waste water washing our cars.

What? We'd all look like characters from Mad Max within a month or two.

My point is we're all wasteful, and to get upset over other people being wasteful of water before taking a look at your own wastefulness is just stupid. 

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:49 AM Edited by GunWrath, 24 August 2014 - 07:51 AM.

You do know people have ice makers in their homes, right? Also ice trays.

True but not everyone is going to take the ice out of their fridge for this challenge when it's quicker to buy a bag of ice and do the deed. Plus, f*ck ice trays.. I doubt everyone is going to refill their trays 20x just to do this challenge. Too time consuming..

You can only assume that just about the same number of people have bought bags or even more may have used bags of ice than ice out of their makers/trays. Which can make for a glorious amount of money for this organization. Which is more sensible than just dumping water over your head for 'cred' as Raavi said or some popularity contest.

Because we all know that not everyone who has done this challenge donated or even cared to look up what ALS is. So it's not really a successful awareness campaign, maybe financially sure but not on the awareness side. $100 is a good bit of money, for the celebs it's pocket change but for the hard working middle class, it's a hell of a dent in our pockets.. so you can't say that everyone who did the challenge forked over the money.

If you read on their site, they have graphics for people to use that completed the challenge, I've yet to see anyone post that sh*t on their Twitter or Facebook (atleast not my FB friends or friends of FB friends who were tagged or whatever) So yeah, that awareness sh*t isn't quite working. But so far, the ALSA have raised over $62.5 million, which is fantastic.. but imagine if everyone that did it donated or donated money they spent on the icebags rather than just a publicity stunt for their pals.. it would probably be doubled or even tripled by now. I think is what Raavi is grasping at.. if not, I know that's what I'm grasping at.

• Raavi likes this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Lol, not successful on the awareness side? I'd beg to differ!
This guy has ALS and his video went viral on his thoughts and experience going through ALS and explaining what it is & how scary is it.

https://www.youtube....7OT8p8Oik#t=118

His video has 12, 514, 825 views!! 

Also, no one is required to donate $100. It was a suggestion - I've known people who have donated between $10 - $100 dollars.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

12million people aware, cool, but just how aware are they? The numbers are still higher of those that aren't aware during this challenge.

Some people are still unaware of breast cancer and exactly how harmful it can be and exactly what it is. Sad but true, same for all sorts of diseases out there. Hell, I don't even know that much about STDs other than the names of some.. Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Herpes and Chlamydia.. all I know but there are more and I've watched videos on the sh*t, read literary on it during school, service and no telling how many other times because of health classes and all throughout life.. doesn't mean I know a f*cking thing about them. I just know you need to wrap your f*cking tool, crabs itch and herpes can be some nasty looking sh*t. I don't have a clue or even remember the numbers of how many people get affected, what to do to campaign against it or find a cure. There's some things we watch or read but doesn't mean it's etched into our brains.

Cool, then pay the $10, $5, hell $1 .. don't just do this for a publicity stunt for friends and yourself. People with actual Gehrig's disease are counting on you and the same for their families and friends. I've been doing marathons and other events to raise awareness and funding for Parkison's disease because my mother is diagnosed with it. I would be upset to watch people use some method for awareness as a tool for them to be cool or try to be some viral hit with the community rather than actually care what it's for. It's pathetic.

• ¥en likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Probably not. Urging people to go out and donate doesn't go viral. The challenge is what made so many people do it. That's why it gained traction.

If it really takes a silly social media challenge for people that get off their ass and donate then Charley Sheen's interpretation of this "ice bucket challenge" should be the one. Not only would it directly lead to actual donations it would also incentivise more sizeable donations (You're going to look like a proper dick dumping five 1$ bills over your head). I fail to see the point in dumping icy cold water over yourself in many cases solely for the sake of dumping icy cold water over yourself and the social media cred this brings.

#MakingItRainForALS sounds pretty good to me.

• Doc Rikowski, athande, GunWrath and 2 others like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:32 AM Edited by EphemeralStar, 24 August 2014 - 08:33 AM.

@gunwrath: I'm sure it's safe to assume that most people don't know in-depth knowledge about a lot of diseases unless they're doctors or take an interest in them, but it's also not safe to assume that just because you don't know certain information about things, doesn't mean others don't take the time to do their own personal research. It's not a matter of how much information people know about ALS now, it's the fact that people know what it is and that it exists & people are donating to help those who have it. Regardless of the people who do it just for sh*ts n giggles, they still end up spreading awareness and nominate their friends who may in turn actually donate and not do it just to be cool. :)

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:49 AM Edited by GunWrath, 24 August 2014 - 08:53 AM.

I know that awareness has been spread because of the challenge but not like it should be, I'm not denying that but this challenge is spiraling into LETS DO IT FOR OUR CRED ON DA FACEBUKZ just because that's how social media operates. Rather than most people genuinely doign the challenge to actually raise that awareness or to help fund it. Instead of glamorizing it as some DO IT IF YOU WANT TO BE COOL AND POPULAR.

I find the people that do this just for their own hilarity and coolness to be pathetic. That's my opinion and this the moral of all my complaining.. other than that, the challenge is fine. I'm glad they did it.. it was smart to start something like this but these days, not everyone takes a serious role to it. Use the Kony thing for instance.. wasn't long and people forgotten about that.. where are all those people at now? Because the children and adults there still need help.. but nah, it's not as cool as it once was. Just something we have to live with, I just wish people had a better mind about humanity than using to their own selfish agenda.

• ¥en likes this

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

This, too, shall pass.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:59 AM Edited by Rusty Balls, 24 August 2014 - 09:00 AM.

The truth is that it's just a way for people to justify that they don't give a sh*t about sclerosis when there isn't an "ice-bucket challenge" in its name.

Similarly "#bringbackourgirls" was a way for people to justify that they didn't give a sh*t about the boys Boko Haram slaughtered. 

It's the apathy that allows these ills to continue being disguised as charity by the media, and people jump on board to show publicly that they'r not the apathetical cowards that they are when they're not filming themselves pouring buckets of ice over their heads on their camera phones. 
  • ¥en likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

http://instagram.com/p/r9y3DQMLyI

lol

Best Ice Bucket Challenge video by far. :^:

athande
  • athande

MDCCLXXVI

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

It is kinda f*cking stupid - attention whores and what not.

• Jeone likes this

bread
  • bread

Grown conventionally and organically worldwide

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

It's "f*cking stupid", yet there's tons of money being raised, and awareness of LG disease is being promoted at an all-time high. If anything it's completely beneficial and all in good fun. I don't really see a problem.

Seems like with every social media trend you're always gonna have that one group that wants to be a grump about it. Don't get me wrong, most of them are f*cking stupid and driven by narcissistic, ill-informed teenagers but the ALS ice bucket challenge is by no means " stupid."

Social media is without a doubt the strongest platform to promote awareness regarding ANYTHING. That includes Lou Gehrig's disease. Stop complaining. Yes you're gonna have attention whores but it's the world we live in. For the most part, everything else coming from the ice bucket challenge outweighs that in a beneficial manner.

Be glad that big numbers were raised. That's the whole point of this thing.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

I would have preferred something that didn't imply wasting so much clean water.

It's a good thing that money has been raised... even though sometimes it's used for anything but actual research.

What Charlie Sheen did was the best thing to do.

The fact a lot of celebrities are doing it just for fun is quite disgusting.

Anyway now something should be done to raise money to grant clean water to all the populations that are in an endless drought.

• GunWrath likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

Why would you waste water?

The amount of water used in the challenge per person is pretty small. What's it, 2-4 gallons? To put that in perspective, you use 50 every ten minutes you spend showering.

It's a problem in California. We're in the middle of a severe drought, and many people are forgetting this while doing the ice bucket challenge.

That is the most idiotic f*cking bullsh*t I've read. You waste so much water just flushing the god damn toilet. How in world is the ice bucket challenge a waste of water?

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

claiming that you pack heat but you're scared to hold

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:16 PM Edited by ShootPeopleNotDope, 24 August 2014 - 04:17 PM.

First person to dump ice-water on Kony--or more likely, his unmarked grave--wins my hand in marriage. Be sure to wear your Livestrong bracelet, or it doesn't count.

• Jeone likes this

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Meep Meep.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:35 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 24 August 2014 - 11:12 PM.

@Sting4S, it's not really idiotic. California's on the verge of running out of water in the next year or two. For the past several winters, precipitation was the rarest thing to occur in this state, giving no chance for the water reservoirs to replenish. Here in Western Washington State, we have a massive surplus of water because of the very rainy non-Summer seasons.. we only average as little as 60 sunny days a year here, and that's during the Summer.

Here's a map of the water drought here in the United States. AS OF AUGUST 19, 2014.

20140819_usdm_home.png

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

You waste so much water just flushing the god damn toilet. How in world is the ice bucket challenge a waste of water?

But if we all didn't flush our toilets for a day it would be the end of western civilisation! :D

TEoS
  • TEoS

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I'm so mad about all this charity bullsh*t. Narcissistic f*cks. 

• darthYENIK likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:29 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 24 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

That is the most idiotic f*cking bullsh*t I've read. You waste so much water just flushing the god damn toilet. How in world is the ice bucket challenge a waste of water?

Read this... http://huff.to/XInnBF

Look at this... http://imgur.com/a/IgoUq?desktop=1

It's like this all over the state, and it's only going to get worse. So, next time, would you please educate yourself before running your mouth.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

someone should start an ice bucket challenge to help california's drought

• Jeone and Sir Michael like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users